EasyOS Dunfell-series version 4.1 released

Moderator: BarryK

BarryK

EasyOS Dunfell-series version 4.1 released

Post by BarryK »

Right now it is still uploading. The English build has uploaded, French and German still uploading:

https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64 ... /2022/4.1/

Pretty much the same as 4.0, except for:

1. Very fast first-time bootup
2. easy.sfs is now in the working-partition
3. SeaMonkey suite has returned
4. A "save" bugfix.

Release notes:

https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64 ... -notes.htm

I tested updating, via the "update" icon, worked ok. To do this, you need these updated scripts, see attached, with false ".gz" appended.

/usr/local/easy_version/easy-update
/usr/sbin/mount-img

You must download these and put them in place, and make sure they are executable, before updating.

EDIT 2022-06-18:
Feedback in this thread has reported updating to 4.1 is still failing. As well as those two scripts, another fix is required, documented here:

https://bkhome.org/news/202206/simple-f ... e-fix.html

Attachments
mount-img.gz
/usr/sbin/mount-img
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
easy-update.gz
/usr/local/easy_version/easy-update
(18.36 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
easydude

Re: EasyOS Dunfell-series version 4.1 released

Post by easydude »

Good day Barry,
Sorry if I sent this reply a bit late but it seems that the update script exited a bit earlier that expected and after a reboot my Easy install was borked (it couldn't find the working partition).
A fresh install with the 4.1 image that is on ibiblio and things work like a charm

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

easydude wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:29 am

Good day Barry,
Sorry if I sent this reply a bit late but it seems that the update script exited a bit earlier that expected and after a reboot my Easy install was borked (it couldn't find the working partition).
A fresh install with the 4.1 image that is on ibiblio and things work like a charm

That's strange. I tested updating from 3.1.17 and from 4.0, using the scripts posted here, and it worked. Though, I used already-downloaded easy-4.1-amd64.img

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

BarryK wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:03 am
easydude wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:29 am

Good day Barry,

That's strange. I tested updating from 3.1.17 and from 4.0, using the scripts posted here, and it worked. Though, I used already-downloaded easy-4.1-amd64.img

I used the new scripts.... And seemed to work OK. But now on reboot its says it cannot find easy. Sfs and drops down to initramfs

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

Maybe the scripts aren't intended for a frugal install?

pakt

Post by pakt »

My attempts at updating v4.0 resulted the same way as with user Airdale.

I have booting from the USB drive as primary, and I could boot v4.0 without intervention at boot-time. However, that no longer works with the newly upgraded v4.1; I need to press F12 to be able to choose the USB drive, then booting stops, as Airdale has already described.

Keef

Post by Keef »

Same for me with internal SSD. Used the new scripts, but easy_4.1_amd64.sfs was not copied to the required location (or anywhere else as far as I could see). Did a manual extraction and install to /sfs/easyos/oe/dunfell/ and it is working ok now.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Keef wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:46 pm

Same for me with internal SSD. Used the new scripts, but easy_4.1_amd64.sfs was not copied to the required location (or anywhere else as far as I could see). Did a manual extraction and install to /sfs/easyos/oe/dunfell/ and it is working ok now.

Keef, did you download from ibiblio? My down load from ibiblio is 801 MB, but does not appear to contain an easy.sfs. (not sure how to proceed for a frugal install)
An md5sum check fails, so I might have to try to download later.......

Last edited by williwaw on Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keef

Post by Keef »

williwaw

I just used the update button. I rebooted into Fatdog to do the extraction from the img file.

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

williwaw wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:10 pm

Keef, did you download from ibiblio? My down load from ibiblio is 801 MB, but does not appear to contain an easy.sfs.
An md5sum check fails, so I might have to try to download later.......

I think that you have to use Barry's new mount-img script to open the img file from ibiblio instead of just clicking on it. If you use that two Rox filer windows open and the second one will contain the easy.sfs.
I'm going to try copying easy.sfs manually as Keef described and see what happens...

Keef

Post by Keef »

I opened it up with UExtract. I did also try the mount-img script, which extracts it in /tmp/.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

If you download the image file, open it with the new 'mount-img' script:

# mount-img easy-4.1-amd64.img

In ROX, to manually update the easy*img run action, right click on it, choose "Set run action..." and change to

mount-img "$1"

You can click on the easy*img file a second time to unmount the partitions.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

For manual update, you open up easy-4.1-amd64.img and copy 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' to the boot partition, and 'easy.sfs' to the working partition (/mnt/wkg). That's it, then you reboot. There are photos in this blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202206/fast-fir ... ootup.html

It is very strange that you guys are experiencing failure with updating using "update", as I tested it updated a very old installation 3.1.17 and also 4.0.

Ok, I will do it again, Let's see, I have 3.4.7 on a usb stick, will boot that and update.

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

I wonder if the script is not working for me because I have a frugal install on my hard drive as described in https://easyos.org/install/easy-frugal- ... ation.html

I have multiple puppies /easy on the same Linux partition and use grub4dos. Windows is on a separate partition.

Is the script useful for only complete installs taking up the whole drive?

Just wondering.... I still haven't completely wrapped my head around 4.1 yet.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Airdale wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:40 am

I wonder if the script is not working for me because I have a frugal install on my hard drive as described in https://easyos.org/install/easy-frugal- ... ation.html

I have multiple puppies /easy on the same Linux partition and use grub4dos. Windows is on a separate partition.

Is the script useful for only complete installs taking up the whole drive?

Just wondering.... I still haven't completely wrapped my head around 4.1 yet.

It doesn't matter that it is a frugal install, easy-update should still work.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

This is really annoying... In Firefox, I downloaded easy-4.1-amd64.img and FF reported successful download. However, the md5sum is wrong.

I checked, the file at ibiblio.org is correct, has the correct md5sum, so FF download has introduced an error.

So, if you download easy-4.1-amd64.img, please do check the md5sum, it should be, testing the correct file:

# md5sum easy-4.1-amd64.img
4ba675c72b98d42dbe1c12c57b6c5d35 easy-4.1-amd64.img

I am wondering. Back in the very early Puppy days, when many people were on dial-up Internet, we had "difference files". They would be named something like "puppy-1.2.3-1.2.4.diff", and if you had kept "puppy-1.2.3.iso" then you could apply the diff file to it and create "puppy-1.2.4.iso"

Might be worthwhile bringing that back. The utility that creates difference files, and recombines them, is 'xdelta3'. We have always had this in EasyOS.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I have just now updated 3.7.8, no problem.

Using those 'mount-img' and 'easy-update' scripts, clicked on "update" icon and it downloaded 'easy-4.1-amd64.img' and I checked the md5sum, it is correct.

Did the automatic install of 'vmlinuz', 'initrd' and 'easy.sfs' then rebooted. No problem, works great.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

You do not do that. The 'easy-update' script copies 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' to the boot-partition, /mnt/${BOOT_DEV}/${BOOT_DIR}, and copies 'easy.sfs', name unchanged, to the working-partititon, /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}

At next bootup, easy.sfs will get moved into /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}sfs/easyos/oe/dunfell/easy_4.1_amd64.sfs

I have just done an 3.7.8 update and verified it works. That was updating a flash-stick.
The two updates I did before, 3.1.17 and 4.0, are frugal installs on internal drive. The three updates were done on different computers.

puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

Thanks for the mount-img script!
Funny timing, I had been working on a disk image of my remastered audio pup and came up with 2 very simple scripts. One to grab two loop points, create mount points and mount the partitions in the current dir. Then another script to unmount and remove the loop/mount points. I zipped up the .img with those scripts and easydd so that new users can easily write the .img from linux or etcher from windows and current installs can be updated by mounting the .img and dropping the new sfs files in place.
I had just pulled together a reasonable, albeit rudimentary, result when I saw the news about this one.

This script works a treat! I will likely keep it for future use if that is ok..
I am starting from zero learning shell scripting so it's an incremental effort. Another one I would like to create is a script to expand the ext4 partition once the .img has been written to a drive. (on first boot I'm guessing) Bit by bit...

Thanks again for the scripts and all of your awesome work. Deeply appreciated!

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

BarryK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:26 pm

This is really annoying... In Firefox, I downloaded easy-4.1-amd64.img and FF reported successful download. However, the md5sum is wrong.

I checked, the file at ibiblio.org is correct, has the correct md5sum, so FF download has introduced an error.

So, if you download easy-4.1-amd64.img, please do check the md5sum, it should be, testing the correct file:

# md5sum easy-4.1-amd64.img
4ba675c72b98d42dbe1c12c57b6c5d35 easy-4.1-amd64.img

I am wondering. Back in the very early Puppy days, when many people were on dial-up Internet, we had "difference files". They would be named something like "puppy-1.2.3-1.2.4.diff", and if you had kept "puppy-1.2.3.iso" then you could apply the diff file to it and create "puppy-1.2.4.iso"

Might be worthwhile bringing that back. The utility that creates difference files, and recombines them, is 'xdelta3'. We have always had this in EasyOS.

many downloads from ibiblio today with bad md5sums.
I also discovered that if one expands easy-4.1-amd64.img with the older mount method, the checksum is different after the download is unmounted

Last edited by williwaw on Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
rudyt

Post by rudyt »

BarryK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:09 am

For manual update, you open up easy-4.1-amd64.img and copy 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' to the boot partition, and 'easy.sfs' to the working partition (/mnt/wkg). That's it, then you reboot.

I confirm that the procedure above worked for me. I used the mount-img script to explode the img file, copied the three files to the locations above, clicked on the initrd to point it to my folders and rebooted. All good!

Note that I did a clean frugal install rather than an update, and now have a proper "files" folder (instead of "file") and no overlapping icons as I reported in the 4.0 thread.

EasyOS - Frugal install on Dell laptop in shared partition

Aki

Post by Aki »

Downloaded the german version with Firefox and Seamonkey md5sum ok, install failed. Downloaded again with Firefox md5sum ok, opened image, no easy.sfs. Downloaded de, fr and english version with wget mdsum ok, opened images, no image had an easy.sfs file. Downloaded version 4.0 and installed manually, working. Full install on Medion laptop (Lenovo?) with sda1(EFI and bootloader), sda3(Win11), sda4(Win-recovery), sda5(easy boot), sda6(easy working), sda8 and sda9(data store). Download again version 4.1 and try manual install.

Thank for your impressive work Barry.

Aki

Aki

Post by Aki »

Some more infos: used your install scripts from this threat. Original install was 3.1.7 updated to 3.4.7. New download with Firefox md5sum ok, no easy.sfs in img-file.

Aki

Post by Aki »

original install was 3.1.17

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Aki wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:17 pm

ok, no easy.sfs in img-file.

Aki, clicking on the .img with an older version is depreciated...

BarryK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 am

If you download the image file, open it with the new 'mount-img' script:

# mount-img easy-4.1-amd64.img

In ROX, to manually update the easy*img run action, right click on it, choose "Set run action..." and change to

mount-img "$1"

You can click on the easy*img file a second time to unmount the partitions.

Last edited by williwaw on Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Airdale

Post by Airdale »

BarryK wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:46 pm

I have just now updated 3.7.8, no problem.

Using those 'mount-img' and 'easy-update' scripts, clicked on "update" icon and it downloaded 'easy-4.1-amd64.img' and I checked the md5sum, it is correct.

Did the automatic install of 'vmlinuz', 'initrd' and 'easy.sfs' then rebooted. No problem, works great.

I'm at a loss. I've been working on this for hours. I've tried updating using the script multiple times. I have tried with both 4.0 installs as well as 3. X.

I always get this error...

Screenshot_20220617-182750_1.png
Screenshot_20220617-182750_1.png (487.22 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Looking through things it looks to me that easy. Sfs never gets copied at all for some reason.... Not sure why

Aki

Post by Aki »

Copied initrd and vmlinuz to /mnt/sda5 (boot) and easy.sfs to /mnt/sda6 and /mnt/sda6/easyos (working). -reboot- Error: easy.sfs couldn't be found in /mnt/sd6/releases/easy-4.1/easy.sfs.
Copied easy.sfs to /mnt/sd6/releases/easy-4.1/. -rboot- Einhängen (mount) der squasfs Datei easy.sfs mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /easy_ro/easy-sfs failed: Invalid argument

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Airdale wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:36 pm

I'm at a loss. I've been working on this for hours. I've tried updating using the script multiple times. I have tried with both 4.0 installs as well as 3. X.

I always get this error...

Looking through things it looks to me that easy. Sfs never gets copied at all for some reason.... Not sure why

boot stops at same error here also, although I am not updating but rather trying to make a new frugal install

steps taken:
1. extract easy.sfs, vmlinz and initrd with the new mount-img utility
2. place the three extracted files in a subfolder on sda2, formatted ext4
3. fix initrd to point to the boot folder and the working folder, in this case, the same folder
4. create new entry in refind.conf

what happens:
1. /mnt/sda2/wkg/releases/easy-4.1/ contains a copy of intrid and vmlinz but not an easy.sfs link
2./mnt/sda2/wkg/sfs/easyos/oe/dunfell contains only easy.png
3. the easy.sfs originally placed in the subfolder is deleted

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Thanks for the feedback. I have received some more details about the missing easy.sfs from Alfons.
I will take a look at it tonight, see if I can find out why easy.sfs is disappearing.
Sure is frustrating that it worked three times for me!

I have written a new page on updating:

https://easyos.org/user/how-to-update-easyos.html

...notice how the page is structured, real easy instructions first, then more details if you want them. Plan to rewrite more pages with same format.

Hopefully I will chase down what is going wrong tonight.

I think also, will put in an md5sum check in the 'easy-update' script -- currently, it only downloads and checks that the full size has downloaded.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Note that your installation cannot become "borked", not permanently anyway.

I the 4.1 update has failed, there are various ways to roll back to a working bootup.

One way is to bootup a different linux, then go into the "borked" EasyOS, copy 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' from /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}/releases/easy-<old version> to the boot-partition, /mnt/${BOOT_DEV}/${BOOT_DIR}

and copy 'easy_<old version>_amd64.sfs' from /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}sfs/easyos/oe/dunfell to the boot-partition, renaming it to 'easy.sfs' and replacing the previous if it still exists.

Then delete folder /mnt/${WKG_DEV}/${WKG_DIR}/releases/easy-<borked version>

Then Easy should have completely forgotten that it was updated, and bootup should work as before.

Return to “EasyOS”