Thinking about the logo

Moderator: BarryK

Berto

Re: Thinking about the logo

Post by Berto »

Okey, I thought a little: What about separating the letters of Easy like this: E.A.S.Y.?

Now only brainstorming: you can give the letters an additional meaning, like Experimental (enhanced?, .. ) Advanced (added?, ...) SecuritY...

Then let it spin around after startup for a few seconds, dunno if possible in JWM, but we had things like a running cat on the screen or snowfall or news ticker and so on in FWWM many years ago already.

Regards,

Berto

ASUS Netbook, Intel Atom N450, Nvidia / ASUS Notebook Pro 78S, Core i7, Nvidia

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

How about this for a simple logo for EasyOS:

easyos48.png
easyos48.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
easyos96.png
easyos96.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
easyos512.png
easyos512.png (28.39 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

It is based on a png I found, but traced it in Inkscape, then modified it a bit, and created an svg.
The above png files are from the svg.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

No, green ticks are woolworths copyright, and i don't know how they got that through as ticks are usually considered no t copywriteable

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:11 pm

No, green ticks are woolworths copyright, and i don't know how they got that through as ticks are usually considered no t copywriteable

Ha ha, I thought it looked familiar!

je55eah

Post by je55eah »

I told you years ago that in my opinion EasyOS is not a good name. I won't repeat my arguments here.

If you choose a name that refers to the unique characteristics of the operating system then a quality logo will follow. My old suggestion was sandstone as a reference to layers. Sandboxed containers, securly isolated hardware, immutability, portability, and root desktop are some of the major themes of your distribution. Perhaps something like PowerArmorLinux, HardShell, or GodMode would be appropriate. The symbol could be a # with a halo. Likewise, puppy linux could be tuned for system administration tasks as a GodMode type operating system and a future PuppyLinux might use a puppy with a halo as a logo. If EasyOS is less about root convenience and more about computing without leaving a trace, then concepts such as ghostly, ephemeral, ethereal may be appropriate for EasyOS. As a live boot system it is like a possessing spirit. I read about a seizing spirit which can take the form of a dog and cause a frenzie. FrenzieLinux could be a thing with a ghostly dog symbol like Anubis or better yet, Mu, the voracious dog of nothingness. Unfortunately MuLinux was already a thing, but it is wu in Chinese. WuDogLinux would fit in with the likes of Puppy, Fatdog, DebianDog, and WeeDog.

Umbanda and Hoodoo are similar traditions repleat with symbols.

Last edited by je55eah on Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
scsijon

Post by scsijon »

I love the name, that's not the problem here.

je55eah

Post by je55eah »

I generated some art based in the concepts I shared above. If you like any of these images I can iterate on the image and if there is one that is almost right, I can probably fix it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y07ugkj4kzgd ... JUzqa?dl=0

je55eah

Post by je55eah »

I had to draw this one by hand. If you want to use it, I'll give it to the project, but if you don't want it, then I'm retaining the copyright.

Attachments
GodModeLinux-concept copyright Jesse Horstman
GodModeLinux-concept copyright Jesse Horstman
EasyOSclear.jpg (133.87 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

What about OverlayOS?

I came up with that awhile back, and even registered a couple of domain names, including overlayos.org

I even created an ultra-simple logo:

overlayos48.png
overlayos48.png (661 Bytes) Viewed 997 times

I had decided a couple of months ago that OverlayOS will be a derivative of EasyOS, and started planning it.

user1234

Post by user1234 »

BarryK wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:19 pm

What about OverlayOS?

I came up with that awhile back, and even registered a couple of domain names, including overlayos.org

overlayos48.png

I had decided a couple of months ago that OverlayOS will be a derivative of EasyOS, and started planning it.

Well if it'd be just a fork of EasyOS, then the solution wouldn't contribute anything for logo of EasyOs, because of OverlayOs and EasyOs being, in future, different distros.

But if you're wanting to change the name completely, you'll have to abandon EasyOs for that. Changing the name won't be easy, but yeah OverlayOs seems a better name than just EasyOs, which describes very general things by its name. I think if you ever want to change the name, you should first add a label to EasyOs as being declined (maybe on this forum) and then giving the users links to the new distro somewhere on the internet.

But yes, before changing the name, just think about the logo first, to which the brainstorming could happen here, in this forum.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

BarryK wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:19 pm

What about OverlayOS?

overlayos48.png

like the name, it better represents what sets it apart from the mainstream
the logo is simple enough, but would also like to see what others come up with

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

Considering what it does, yes OverlayOS would be a good name for a version type. However it's already taken. The OverlayFS pseudo-filesystem was first included in the Linux kernel 3.18 release and they also took OverlayOS in the alpha stages. It is apparently under an Apache License 2.0, which means it can't be trademarked in any way. There are others sugesting it's GNU gpl v2 as it's a kernel part, but that's the kernel part only, searching down version tracks eventually ends back to apache for the origins.

Maybe as a holdover you could just, as at present, use EasyOS Dunfell, ie the distro name becomes the EasyOS distro' name and the word EasyOS becomes the overall parent group name for those built in this manner, like Puppy is for many others rather than the individual build types.

Last edited by scsijon on Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
je55eah

Post by je55eah »

OverlayOS would be an improvement in my opinion. It speaks more to the engineer in you than to the end user, but it does communicate important information about the concepts embodied by your operating system.

This exploded-view tank is interesting, but it is too complex.

I tried to think about a lot of layered concepts, overlays, layered armor, multiple masks, containers, ...

It's not easy to present in a simplified graphic and the sandstone concept I suggested suffers from the same weakness. Something like a sandstone dog sculpture with distinct layers of sedementation came to mind.

I tried to sketch it by modifying this image.

1666222404083-01.jpeg
1666222404083-01.jpeg (116.5 KiB) Viewed 1144 times

OverlayOS may be an umbrella term for a collection of operating systems which use aufs and overlayfs including things like a GodModePuppy, PuppyUSB for screenwriters, PuliBrowserKiosk, FatdogDesktopHypervisor, DogLinuxServerHypervisors, FirstRibDistroConversions, and others. Then WuDog or anything else could be used just like Windows is subsumed by Microsoft and Mac and i are subsumed by Apple.

Google images has a lot of cute buddha dogs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=buddha+dog&tbm=isch

OverlayOS is still pretty good. I played with Wombo for a while and here is another folder of images which might be inspirational.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t1j1tup5ag45 ... VnC6a?dl=0

Add CagedWolf, CagedHound, and KennelLinux to my list of suggestions.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:51 am

Considering what it does, yes OverlayOS would be a good name for a version type. However it's already taken. The OverlayFS pseudo-filesystem was first included in the Linux kernel 3.18 release and they also took OverlayOS in the alpha stages. It is apparently under an Apache License 2.0, which means it can't be trademarked in any way. There are others sugesting it's GNU gpl v2 as it's a kernel part, but that's the kernel part only, searching down version tracks eventually ends back to apache for the origins.

When I originally chose OverlayOS, I did a search, couldn't find it used anywhere.

A random thought:

The logo for EasyOS could just be a circle, with border and maybe white fill. Nothing else, just a circle, to signify completeness, simplicity. Like a capital O, but completely round.

Has anyone else out there claimed a circle as a logo?

I think that I saw somewhere a plain rectangle, just a rectangle with nothing else, just a border, empty or white fill. But don't recall seeing a circle anywhere.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have not seen a plain circle as a logo either. I kind of like the idea but with a thin black border. The balance of light and shadow in a circle shape to signify completeness and stability.

I can almost see it in my mind's eyes. Maybe I'll give it a shot concocting a prototype

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

I've seen a circle used, at least one of the Origon rainbow groups in the USA have that.
Another is one of the rainbow family groups in qld (raq.org.au) have them on a multi-coloured banner, don't know if it's registered though.

Back in the cpm/mpm days there were a number of local groups that were registered with a circle with their local group-name around the inside, most of course no longer exist, but it's one idea.

Just as an idea if you want to use a circle, maybe a circle with EasyOS around the inside top side of the circle, the base OS, such as Dunfell curving inside the bottom side of the circle, with the actual version number across the middle. That should look both professional and clean.

je55eah

Post by je55eah »

je55eah

Post by je55eah »

I collected all of them into this folder and added a few more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7f5u2jxs0bd2 ... m4xDa?dl=0

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

For EasyOS, this logo looks nice. Circle for completeness and simplicity, and a tick to acknowledge completion and success:

easyos96.png
easyos96.png (9.04 KiB) Viewed 964 times

I have it as an svg, so can play around with colours etc.

I deliberately placed the tick off-centre, as all other circle logos with a tick inside place the tick in the centre of the circle. There needs to be differentiation from other logos.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Even just a circle looks ok, signifies extreme simplicity:

easyos96b1.png
easyos96b1.png (7.12 KiB) Viewed 1317 times

Or thinner, brown border:

easyos96c1.png
easyos96c1.png (5.81 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

But maybe too simple?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@BarryK :-

Perhaps something like this?

Keeps your idea of a circle, with a more "professional-looking" thumbs-up..... 'Only' a PNG, I'm afraid; never could get the hang of vector graphics.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh, @BarryK

I like this version. Kind of quirky and catchy. I like the positive vibe.

backi

Post by backi »

@mikewalsh :

Yea Mike .....really cool Logo :thumbup: :thumbup2:

user1234

Post by user1234 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:02 pm

@BarryK :-

Perhaps something like this?

Keeps your idea of a circle, with a more "professional-looking" thumbs-up..... 'Only' a PNG, I'm afraid; never could get the hang of vector graphics.

Mike. ;)

Regarding these great icons, I had a thought of playing with the color schemes. Here is what I have done-

Red version
Red version
easyos_red.png (27.96 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Green version
Green version
easyos_green.png (34.13 KiB) Viewed 1211 times

And here is the tar.bz2 file containing all these icons-

easyos_icons.tar.bz2
(140.13 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

(also contains thumbs_up.xcf, extracted 'thumbs up' from original file, and the original file as easyos_yellow.png.)

Wanted to add a blue one as well. But could not do so because the tool I use could not create one (seems like I need to learn more skills :mrgreen:).

By the way, if I really am able to add one, then I'll directly add it to the .tar.bz2 file for the puppy forum doesn't allow to attach more than 3 files.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

This one.

Attachments
easy2.PNG
easy2.PNG (43.47 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
je55eah

Post by je55eah »

KennelOS container dog
KennelOS container dog
Untitled117_20221102135923.png (330.48 KiB) Viewed 1166 times
Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

Hello all.

I’m with @mikewalsh and @user1234 with this.

I think the design by @mikewalsh is innovative and sums up EasyOS.

The choice of colours by @user1234 gives the user a chance to be ‘personal’ as there are those who might find it difficult visually to have a set colour.

It would be great if @user1234 could “learn more skills” and produce a blue version.

So thanks to both for their contribution.

If only my graphic design capability were as good, if only.

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

je55eah

Post by je55eah »

Can you even use that graphic?

https://www.teepublic.com/sticker/3932294-thumbs-up

What do circles, thumbs ups, and check marks mean in the context of this operating system?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

je55eah wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:04 pm

Can you even use that graphic?

https://www.teepublic.com/sticker/3932294-thumbs-up

What do circles, thumbs ups, and check marks mean in the context of this operating system?

Heh.

I found that exact same PNG file in at least 30 different locations when I was searching the other night. In every case, it was free for the downloading. Which admits of two possibilities:-

• Either that website is attempting to make money out of a non-copyrighted item, or

• Everybody else has stolen it from this site.

I find the first explanation to be FAR more plausible.... :D

You can't believe a fraction of what you read online.....unless it's "official", and even then I sometimes have my doubts. Much of it needs to be taken with a fairly generous pinch of salt.....

The world is full of unscrupulous individuals. Haven't you figured that out yet? :lol:

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “EasyOS”