nVidia has relinquished and JOINED

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

nVidia has relinquished and JOINED

Post by Clarity »

Its OFFICIAL: nVidia cards will be handle similar to how other manufacturer cards are handled in Linux (PUPs, DOGs, remasters, etc too). This step will accelerate Wayland as some of their development effort(s) will contribute.

Article(s) on nVidia's postions are
Here

Separately
As most know, Fedora just released. This is what they have to say about their distro and nVidia:

In previous versions, Fedora Workstation defaulted to the X display server when using Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver – now, Fedora Workstation 36 uses the Wayland session by default when using Nvidia’s proprietary graphics driver.

dimkr

Re: nVidia has relinquished and JOINED

Post by dimkr »

Let's not forget that press releases are still press releases.

The userspace part of the NVIDIA is still closed source, and that's where the interesting stuff is. This "open sourcing" is partial, and it's not going to change anything really.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

dimkr wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:37 pm

Let's not forget that press releases are still press releases.

The userspace part of the NVIDIA is still closed source, and that's where the interesting stuff is. This "open sourcing" is partial, and it's not going to change anything really.

I have to agree with Dima. This open-sourcing is only the part that won't make any difference to the average user.....and if you read further into it, it mainly applies to the hyper-expensive, top-end gaming cards. NOT the average, "bread-and-butter" cards that the majority of us run.

It's not as exciting an announcement as you might think, @Clarity . I believe this is only for Turing & upwards; my own Kepler-based card won't see any benefits from it.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I think it will be interesting to see if Noveau and nVidia Open Source will become one in the near future.

Its a win for nVidia should they do as it has all kinds of product, development, and support cost factors that I believe they are looking at.

For Linux, this means that video driver selection will be the same no matter which cards are in the system, which is not the case for nVidia today: Thus a reduction in user haggling.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:30 pm

I think it will be interesting to see if Noveau and nVidia Open Source will become one in the near future.
Its a win for nVidia should they do as it has all kinds of product, development, and support cost factors that I believe they are looking at.

It's good that there are still romantics in the World :thumbup2:
I always say that only romantics will save this @*#$~>% World in the future :)

@Clarity I'm not talking about Nvidia employees. I'm talking about your dreams and hopes :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

You say "I'm talking about your dreams and hopes" :?: :?: :?: I I dont see any personal benefit, here; nor do I indicate such.

I'm referring to how Corporations operate. nVidia is not doing this just from the goodness of their heart. They are looking at something beyond and it relates to "cost to plans".

Hope that comes thru: I expect that we will see as the future unfolds.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Clarity wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:54 am

They are looking at something beyond and it relates to "cost to plans".

It's easier and cheaper to maintain a kernel driver when it's completely open source, because you don't need clever tricks to to glue it together with prebuilt .o files. Also, NVIDIA added GBM support, making their driver stack work more like the "open source" ones, so there's less IP to hide.

If Wayland support in DEs can be enabled once the NVIDIA driver supports GBM, NVIDIA has no incentive to open source the userspace driver and the GPU firmware, so I'm not optimistic.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

dimkr wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:47 am
Clarity wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:54 am

They are looking at something beyond and it relates to "cost to plans".

It's easier and cheaper to maintain a kernel driver when ...

Yes. This supports my points.

Return to “Hardware”