Windows 11 --UEFI Problems

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Windows 11 --UEFI Problems

Post by mikeslr »

Minaz reported problems booting Fossapup64 9.5 on a computer running Windows 11, viewtopic.php?p=57138#p57138

Wizard replied "Make a new USB using Menu>Setup>Stickpup. It will have the file puppy.cer certificate that works on my systems." viewtopic.php?p=57156#p57156

I started this thread as undoubtedly problems booting from Windows 11 computers will become more frequent.

However, I do not have a Windows 11 computer. I have assiduously avoided even buying a Windows 10 so as not to have to deal with UEFI. On the 'old-forum', when UEFI first plagued Puppy, because no one else was, I started a thread so that we keep track of developments and suggestions. I lived to regret doing so as I than had to keep it up to date as more information was posted to various other threads, in all of which I had no personal interest.

Guys --including you of the feminine gender-- the purposes of having specific Sections and Subsections is so that (a) the information doesn't get lost; and (b) no one has to write the same information from scratch every other day in a new post.

Sought: someone who actually has a Windows 11 computer to take over this thread. email rockedge.
Notice: this will be my only post to it.

Last edited by bigpup on Wed May 11, 2022 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected the Fossapup reference to the complete title of the Puppy version.
bigpup

Re: Windows 11 --UEFI Problems

Post by bigpup »

For other Puppy versions that may not have the Stickpup that is in Fossapup64 9.5

Fossapup64 9.5 has the Frugalpup Installer package.
Stickpup is one of the programs in this Frugalpup Installer package.

If you do not have Frugalpup Installer in the Puppy version you are using.
You can get it here:
viewtopic.php?t=337

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I am not sure that the problem should be classified as Windows 11 as this problem is universal for ALL computers/laptops/tablets manufactured in the world for last 15 years.

It has to do with the combination of BIOS-UEFI since as well as the forum distro builders attempting to not standardize of a specific strategy in boot-management.

This was the very reason why, several years ago, I got away from the multiple attempts in each distro and have "standardize" my personal efforts centered around use of the ISO file 'presenters' (my word) who mask the problems of these differing manufacturer PC firmware (some of which have unfixable bugs). My efforts do NOT fix the multitude of PC start problems, but has certainly diminished all USB problems experienced by so many others on the forum. For me and the others who use the same techniques, we are able to boot ALL WoofCE PUPs and forum DOGs with little to no concern of the headache of firmware and the hardships of USB and trying to do a 'traditional' frugal as the ISO file boot is essentially a FRUGAL boot without the issues.

That said, I do believe that a thread SHOULD EXIST in the Hardware section that addresses the requirements & steps necessary to register a "cer' for WoofCE PUPs which have them. This consistent approach can be on-board added along with the contents at ISO generation/build for the distro as a reference-able UEFI-registration README.

Further in that same FORUM section can be ANY known steps to modify an old/existing/new PUP that does NOT have the 'cer' technology built-in.

Lastly, we SHOULD be encouraging members to use GRUB2-EFI for the security and the advantages it brings as developers across the world along with manufacturers are doing everything possible to make these boot-managers achieve successful results in navigating machine firmware for booting. It is a very powerful combination that offers everything one would want in the ability to display, boot, and debug easily when necessary. For the time being, it is the best the Linux industry has to offer/

Just some thoughts that may have some relevance.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

It's not so much uefi booting that is the pain, it's the accompanying "Secure Boot" that is the pain.

In fact uefi booting by itself is significantly more straight forward that the old mbr method.
Everything is out in the open, just files in an "EFI System Partition" (ESP), a bootable fat32 partition containing an '/EFI' directory.

Return to “Boot”