PeasyScan

Moderator: Forum moderators

rcrsn51

PeasyScan

Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are 32/64 bit versions of PeasyScan and the SANE pixma backend for recent Canon models.

The original instructions are here.

--------------------

Attachments
sane_backend_pixma_amd64-1.0.32.pet
(100.47 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
peasyscan_i386-2.16.pet
(47.93 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
peasyscan_amd64-2.16.pet
(49.01 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
HerrBert

Re: PeasyScan

Post by HerrBert »

I recall to have used peasyscan 2.5 on Slacko 5.7 frequently.

Recently i downloaded 2.12 from PPM, but it is 32bit.

Tried peasyscan_amd64-2.16.pet on Slacko64 7.0 today, but it does not work here.
Terminal output:

Code: Select all

# peasyscan
sh: line 1: 12322 Speicherzugriffsfehler  $PEASYPATH/xscanimage-peasy "$URI"

Speicherzugriffsfehler = segmentation fault

The mfd wakes up from standby, so i guess my uri is correct.
If i switch off power of the mfd the segfault does not occur (but of course i get an error).

Device:
Samsung Xpress M2070FW

My config:

export URI="smfp:net;192.168.0.9"
export SOURCE="Flatbed"
export MODE="Color"
export RESOLUTION="150"
export PAPER="A4"
export PDFCOMPRESS=""	# -j or -z
export OTHER=""

scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.25; backend version 1.0.25

norgo

Post by norgo »

@rcrsn51
tested in SLC64, works OOTB there.
Thank you very much.

peasyscan.jpg
peasyscan.jpg (26.35 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

HerrBert wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:46 am

Speicherzugriffsfehler = segmentation fault

Open the Preferences tab and select Show advanced options. Then scan.

I tested PeasyScan in Slacko64 7.0 and it worked for me. A few SANE backends like epson2 need the "Show advanced options" fix.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rcrsn51 :-

Well, I take my hat off to you, Bill. This works absolutely perfect with the old Epson Stylus SX218.

I've been using Epson's Iscan! across the kennels for ages, and in recent years it's just been getting more & more temperemental, usually insisting there isn't enough room. Crazy when I have terabytes of the stuff all over the place, and so much RAM I don't know what to do with it all.

After success with the Skanlite AppImage riedzig dug up the other day, I saw this thread earlier on & thought I'd take a look. Bingo! Now, from having NO scanner app.....I've got two. Swings & roundabouts, eh? :thumbup:

I know that nowadays, the current Epson scanner package on offer is an "all-in-one" affair. Back when I originally hunted down the relevant software - quite a few years ago, now - it used to come as two .debs; a "data" .deb, and one for Iscan! itself. Instructions were that you had to install the "data" one first, because the Iscan! package needed to find certain stuff already installed. I'm assuming the "data" deb was the one that contains the 'epokwa' files, etc, so if that's the case then I only need to bother with this one in future installs..?

(I've stuck with these original packages all these years, because to date they still work fine.)

--------------------------------------------

One question.....if I may? I would like to get PeasyScan to save scanned images directly into a sub-directory within /root, called PScan. However, if I set this as the $PATH in the selection box, it won't have it; keeps coming up with "Invalid file name", and will only save the image directly into /root itself.

Can this be modified within the 'peasyscan' script? I've taken a gander at it, but my understanding of Bash is still not quite up to snuff yet, and I don't readily spot anywhere this could be changed.....

Once again; thanks for this. First-class work, mate.....as always.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:13 pm

However, if I set this as the $PATH in the selection box,

I don't know what you mean.

In the "Name the output file" box, you should be able to enter a path like "/root/Pscan/scan.png".

Or click the Folder icon and select a path using the GTK file chooser.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

D'oh!! My fault entirely....

It didn't like:-

/root/PScan/scan_image

....or:-

/root/PScan/scanimage

I then thought the two capital letters together were somehow throwing it out, so I tried:-

/root/Pscan/scan_image

.....and:-

/root/Pscan/scanimage

Didn't like those, either. And THEN it occurred to me that I was forgetting to add the image suffix.....in this case, with me it's always .png. So.....

/root/Pscan/scan_image.png

.....went down a treat. Perfectly happy with it. At least it'll now go directly to where I wanted it.

(If I didn't have bolts holding my head in place, I swear I'd forget it some days..... :oops: )

Thanks again.

Mike. ;)

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:13 pm

Open the Preferences tab and select Show advanced options. Then scan.

Preferences tab not reachable because xscanimage-peasy crashes when i click Start in peasyscan gui... :shock:

Recently i tried xscanimage from sane-1.0.30 package installed from PPM and it worked with my gimp sfs loaded.
Also Xsane, simple-scan and skanlite work.

Some more testing needed here.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:35 pm

/root/Pscan/scan_image

Filename extensions are optional in Linux.

Assuming that the folder /root/Pscan exists, the above path works for me.

Did you try using the File Chooser to select the path?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@HerrBert: Xscanimage-peasy came from sane-frontends-1.0.14. Gettexting was adding and some buttons were changed. It sounds like it is now incompatible with a few backends like your Samsung.

I may try to build another version from a newer sane-frontends package. [Edit] It looks like 1.0.14 is the newest version.

Thanks to everyone for testing.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu May 05, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun May 08, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

Sorry, i'm a little late...

Did some quick ('n dirty) testing today.

All afore mentioned apps for scanning do work BUT xscanimage from sane-1.0.30! WTF???

So i tried to recall what i did:
While trying to get skanlite to work i have reinstalled and updated my scanner drivers.

So i activated my wayback-machine (restored an older adrv from backup ;) )

What i found is that the libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1 has changed in HP's uld_V1.00.39_01.17
(Support for Samsung Printer/Scanner is now provided by HP :roll: )
Though the naming of this lib did not change, it is different in date and md5sum from the one i used in my homebrew driver package for Slacko64 6.3.2 from (around) 2015.
(i don't recall the packages original name from Samsung's download that i used to build Slacko64 6.3.2 driver package - i renamed it because uld_whatsoever seemed not very memorable to me. Silly me...)

Now i restored my (good) old driver and peasyscan also works. Did not test all the other sane-frontends yet though.

peasyscan.jpg
peasyscan.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

Conclusion:
It's not peasyscan that fails, it's HP's latest driver delivered for Samsung Printer/Scanner/MFD

Can not file this as a bug here in Puppyland at all, but leave it as a warning to Samsung customers.

Thank you so much for your efforts. Very much appreciated.

PS: Few minutes ago i downloaded your attached file, restored my 'bad' driver :roll: and gave it another try.
Sorry, does not work, too.
PPS: Forgot to remove the photo from the flatbed, so preview is still the same as for the other thread ;) :lol:

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I no longer have a Samsung unit to test, but I recall having problems with their various scanner drivers.

I had better luck with the xerox_mfp driver. It is included in Slacko64-70, but I only tested it with USB.

However, you may be able to add a line to its /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf file like: tcp 192.168.0.9

Then run "scanimage -L" and see if the networked unit is detected.

I build xscanimage-peasy without GIMP support. I wonder if the latest ULD driver wants GIMP and that's causing the segfault. Or it may just be some incompatibility with Slacko libs.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu May 05, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Let me put it this way. Having extracted the two Epson scanner .debs that I have, I now know that it's the "data" .deb that contains the 'epokwa.desc' file and all the related USB-UID stuff. The Iscan .deb is simply the Iscan utility.

Since both Skanlite AND now Peasyscan both work for me, I shall only bother to install the "data" .deb from now on. I did a quick test; fired up a couple of my Pups with

pfix=ram

.....one 32-bit, one 64-bit, to try both packages - installed the "data" .deb, followed by installing PeasyScan and linking the portable Skanlite into the system in the 64-bitzer. Both scanner apps fired up quite happily in Bionicpup64, and both did what they were supposed to do.....and PeasyScan by itself worked fine in 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5.

So as far as I'm concerned, Epson can keep Iscan! For me, at least, it's temperamental at best.....and as things stand, I no longer need it.

Mike. ;)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@Mike: Please clarify - when you have PeasyScan working, are you using the epson2 backend or the epkowa backend? The backend name is displayed at the top of the scanner window.

If you are using epson2, none of the .deb content is relevant.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:28 pm

I no longer have a Samsung unit to test, but I recall having problems with their various scanner drivers.

I had better luck with the xerox_mfp driver. It is included in Slacko64-70, but I believe that it is USB only.

I build xscanimage-peasy without GIMP support. I wonder if the latest ULD driver wants GIMP and that's causing the segfault. Or it may just be some incompatibility with Slacko libs.

Still on my 'bad' install...
loaded the gimp sfs but xscanimage-peasy still segfaults

I hope this get's not to confusing:

My old driver (on fat backup drive - date of tar.gz is definetly wrong):

uld-old.jpg
uld-old.jpg (92.86 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

md5sum of libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1 9bcb9ec5c555c4d450ca6598dc6d3b2c

My new driver:

uld-new.jpg
uld-new.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

md5sum of libsane-smfp.so.1.0.1 ce0f471161723504e6a35437fdf78c72

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Please try this:

I had better luck with the xerox_mfp driver. It is included in Slacko64-70, but I only tested it with USB.

However, you may be able to add a line to its /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf file like: tcp 192.168.0.9

Then run "scanimage -L" and see if the networked unit is detected.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

# scanimage -L
device `xerox_mfp:tcp 192.168.0.9' is a Samsung M2070 Series multi-function peripheral
#
but what to do with it. i'm getting confused

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Now run PeasyScan. It should use this built-in driver.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

sh: line 1:  2022 Gleitkomma-Ausnahme     $PEASYPATH/xscanimage-peasy "$URI"

floating point exception

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Too bad. It looks like your smfp driver is the only choice.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

Not so bad at all, now that i know the old driver works... ;)

Thank you so much for your assistance. :thumbup2:

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, you should try the xerox_mfp driver with your other scanning apps.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

With xerox_mfp Xsane fails, too
(pardon, xsane was the first thing i recalled when trying things from terminal... :oops: )

xscanimage-peasy and xsane start normally, but when i acquire a preview scan i can hear the scanner starting to scan, but after a few seconds the whole mfd switches off with a noticable clicking like it switches power off when it goes standby and than restarts and initializes after another few seconds. That is quite noisy, because of its' laser printer heating up each time...
(doesn't sound healthy at all :? )

All well with the lesson i learned today

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:36 pm

@Mike: Please clarify - when you have PeasyScan working, are you using the epson2 backend or the epkowa backend? The backend name is displayed at the top of the scanner window.

If you are using epson2, none of the .deb content is relevant.

This is with the epkowa backend, Bill. I get offered the choice of both initially; I've tried both, but the SX218 turns its nose up at the epson2 backend. With the epkowa backend, it's quite happy....

(I don't know if it's the same kind of thing for other printer/scanner manufacturers, but after researching it the year before last, it turns out that over their entire 50-odd year history, Seiko Epson (mainly through their sister company, Avasys) have only produced a handful of 'generic' drivers that cater for every single item they've ever produced (and that model history numbers nearly 300 models since their very first offering, the EP-101 back in 1968.

I know a lot of folks don't like them,and some have even gone so far as to call them "agricultural". Despite all that, they're incredibly reliable in day-to-day use, and just seem to keep on chugging away forever; this SX218 is only the 3rd Epson I've bought since my first one in the late 90s. An average of 8-9 years of daily operation is quite normal for me before replacement is necessary, and I expect another 2 or 3 yet before this one gives up the ghost.)

Mike. ;)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:11 am

but the SX218 turns its nose up at the epson2 backend.

Details please. Have you tried the fix I described above for enabling advanced options?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Yup. Tried the "Advanced options" fix. For this Epson, epkowa just works. using the "Advanced options" didn't make any difference for the epson2 back-end. It gives the pop-up for "Starting scanner", annnd....nothing happens. Nowt else TO report, really; with epkowa, operation is so straight-forward as to be 'uneventful'.....and that's how I like it.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Mike. ;)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

One more question. Does epson2 work with xsane or skanlite?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, Bill.

Um; TBH, I can't say. Skanlite is 64-bit only; in every 64-bit Puppy I run, it gives me a choice between epkowa & my webcam, of all things! It doesn't even see epson2.

In 64-bit Puppies, with the data package I use, PeasyScan only "sees" epkowa. In 32-bit Pups, PeasyScan "sees" the epson2 backend, but apparently can't make use of it. Not with this printer, at any rate. I've tried using more recent data packages, but it's a no-go, because Epson have dropped support for the SX218 in more recent releases.

As for XSane, I shall have to investigate. Never used it. Do we have .pet packages? Is it a .deb from somewhere, or do we install from the PPM? Does it come as a tarball? Or is it built-in?

(EDIT:- Okay. XSane is built-in to Quirky64 April 7.0.1 - my "daily driver". Again, it sees epkowa and my webcam (!).....but NOT epson2. So; it appears that epson2 is not in the 64-bit data package, but it IS in the 32-bit one. Strange...)

PeasyScan is using the xsane functionality, isn't it? Still; XSane also scans fine! Which means that from no scanner app, it seems I now have 3 - although XSane was, of course, there all the time.

(*shrug*)

I'm assuming that all 3 apps are using the contents of /usr/share/iscan-data....

Mike. ;)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:49 am

So; it appears that epson2 is not in the 64-bit data package, but it IS in the 32-bit one.

No. Epson2 is a standard backend contained in all SANE systems. It has nothing to do with code from the iscan package. Iscan has the epkowa backend.

Depending on your printer model and your version of SANE, epson2 may or may not auto-detect the unit. If it does NOT auto-detect, try adding a line to the file /etc/sane.d/epson2.conf like

usb 0x04b8 0x0865

Get the vendor:product ID codes for your model with the lsusb command.

Your test for detected devices is: scanimage -L

The same is true with epkowa. Depending on your version of iscan, you may need to add the above line to /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf.

In either case, make sure that the backend is enabled in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

BTW, the SANE website says that epson2 has "complete" support for your SX218. So I am surprised that it failed for you. It might have something to do with your version of SANE.

Return to “Graphics”