MakeMKV No Disc to Open - [Solved]

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

sfein1000

MakeMKV No Disc to Open - [Solved]

Post by sfein1000 »

I am using fossa64
I am trying to use MakeMKV (a blu ray ripper). MakeMKV does not create a binary for installation, you have to either install a deb someone else made or compile from source. I am doing the latter as I think the debs are probably not that compatible with Puppy.

I install the devx sfs.
There are two parts to the build/install. The first part compiles code. So I do:
./configure
make
make install

The second part is a bunch of binary files that are needed along with a license agreement. That part only requires:
make install
and acceptance of the license

I've done all of this. I then plug my Blu-Ray player into a USB port (I've tried a few different ports and different laptops). I start MakeMKV, but it keeps stating it cannot find a drive. I'm assuming (and I don't really know how devices are found), it is looking at /dev/sr# (where # is a number from 0 to whatever depending on how many drives are attached).

I also tried putting a disc in the drive, which now makes Puppy show an icon on the desktop. But that did not help.

I didn't know if Puppy handled usb drives that would normally be found at /dev/sr0 (for exmaple) differently than other distributions.

As a test, I ran a Linux Mint live USB. I performed the same steps (except instead of installing devx sfs, I installed the various debs needed to compile the code). When I plugin the drive and start MakeMKV, it finds the drive no problem and it found a DVD drive I forgot was attached to the laptop (its an older machine) which I forgot was even there.

Because of this, I thinking 1 of 2 things:
1) devx doesn't include everything needed - but I don't see any errors when compiling (I'm assuming an error would halt the compilation otherwise it may have scrolled by)
2) How Puppy handles the reporting of a device on /dev/sr# is different than other distributions.

Any ideas on how I can fix or debug the issue?

Last edited by sfein1000 on Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
norgo

Re: MakeMKV No Disc to Open

Post by norgo »

@sfein1000
maybe the generic driver is needed for your drive
try the kernel module sg

Code: Select all

modprobe sg -v

could be a reason but I'm not sure

Phoenix

Re: MakeMKV No Disc to Open

Post by Phoenix »

Debs do and can be installed. But the result is not always perfect since its meant for the parent distribution, Ubuntu which is wholly different from ubuntu based puppies.

As well, you never stated the label of the icon, when you inserted the disc into the player that was connected via USB. Also, does the player support the format of the disc?

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

sfein1000

Re: MakeMKV No Disc to Open - [Solved]

Post by sfein1000 »

@norgo I have no idea what modprobe sg -v does, but it solved the problem. Ran it and when I start makemkv, both the blu-ray and the forgotten dvd drives both appear as options to use. Thanks.

@Phoenix Just to reply, the label on the icon is "sr1". And, yes, the player plays the disc inserted without issues. But makemkv should see the drive without the disc since part of the functionality is to eject the disc and then read another disc when inserted. As mentioned above, the modprobe fixed the issue.

norgo

Post by norgo »

sfein1000 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:58 am

@norgo I have no idea what modprobe sg -v does, but it solved the problem.

command

modprobe sg

is loading the kernel module sg,

-v

means verbose to see what happens

information about sg module for information only Linux SCSI Generic (sg) driver
thank you for feedback

Why do you convert BD into another format?
For watching only or to reduce the size?
Only out of curiosity.

sfein1000

Post by sfein1000 »

It's a convenience thing. Shrink to mp4 and I can keep more on one drive. Then use that - especially when traveling. Connect mo4 hard drive to TV and no swapping of discs

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Well, now that you know which module is needed, you can go to the Boot Manager and select the Modules tab, then select 'sg' as one of the modules to be loaded.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Return to “Users”