Opera Interference.....Lastpass

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

April

Opera Interference.....Lastpass

Post by April »

I'm not at all happy with Opera .
For the past 6 months they have shut down my Lastpass every 9 days and I must delete and reinstall the extension every 9 days . NOW the extension will not install at all with a network error message but I can download the extension perfectly outside of opera.
I need Lastpass it so it looks like I might toss Opera in the garbage bin.

Seamonkey also will not load the extension so I'll have to try others to get a browser that's not adulterated by control freaks that download stuff and update stuff behind your back while telling you to your face they do not. That's what Opera do.

Firefox does not have free VPN so I'm looking for a basic browser that will use a free vpn and also let me use whatever extensions I want to use without interference. ?

What are you guys doing ?

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

mikeslr

Re: Opera Interference.....Lastpass

Post by mikeslr »

Opera used to be my go-to web-browser. But then I learned that a Mainland Chinese company acquired a major financial stake in it. Despite rhetoric about Communism and People's republic, China is an oligarchy. If you know of any easy way to distinguish the oligarchs who control major industries and those who control the government, and how their interests diverge, please let me know.
Opera's VPN has never been secure. It enabled permits 'man-in-the-middle' decryption at transfer nodes, and Opera is the provider of those nodes.
There are probably other VPN providers who are both free and reputable. But the one I'd recommend is protonmail which operates out of Switzerland. If you have a protonmail account, you can also use its VPN free of charge from designated servers. https://protonvpn.com/?utm_content=header_menu. Expect those, however, to be slower and busier than protonmail's paid VPN which subsidizes it. Even without using the VPN, protonmail, itself, is encrypted.
My choice of web-browsers currently remains Iron. Iron operates out of Germany, subject to EU laws* regarding privacy and truth-in-advertising, albeit not as free from government prying as Swiss or Icelandic companies. When I last checked, Iron's default settings were almost identical to those of Ungoogled-Chromium; while installing extensions was easier.

* The difference between culture and laws is this: if you are raised in a culture which values honor and integrity, you are likely to internalize those qualities and exercise them even in conducting business. Even at its inception as an independent nation, the basic premise upon which business in the US was conducted was "Let the buyer beware". And that was at a time when there were viable laws against libel and slander and people fought duels to protect their honor. A hundred years ago, one of the Justices of the US Supreme Court explained that under the Law a contract was a promise to do something or pay damages. In practice that translates to 'catch me if you can'. And that was long before the 'corporate shield' provided a practical though theoretically vulnerable devise for exercising plausible denial. We complain about google; know about the misconduct to Wells Fargo; the greed of Wall Street. But how many of us can actually name their directors and upper management.
Trillions were lost, at taxpay's expense, in the debacle of 2011. Most of the players who had benefited from the business conduct which caused it walked away unscathed. Prosecutors explained: too expensive to pursue investigations and conduct trials which would run for months and require juries to understand complex financial matters.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xenial

Post by xenial »

My understanding of the opera browser is that the chinese consortium is mainly a financial interest and as far as i am aware the browser is still developed in norway and bound by norweigan privacy regulations,but of course that can change as quickly as the wind.

The VPN which they tout has been proven to be nothing more than a proxified connection and is not a true VPN in the sense which it is to be purveyed.

I have never used opera myself even though the browser produced a large amount of innovation which was taken up by other main browser vendors and i suppose vivaldi would be the spiritual successor to opera.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

"still developed in norway and bound by norweigan privacy regulations". See footnote above regarding the roles of "let the buyer beware" and "catch me if you can".

April

Post by April »

Americans can't resist the urge to claim to be the origin of all things .
In fact "Let the buyer beware" (Caveat Emptor) was a small part of English contract law at the time brought to the States by the English.
"catch me if you can " is an americanism.

Contract law is such that if a contract exists then it must be fulfilled or damages paid in lieu.

What is Caveat Emptor?
Caveat emptor is a Latin phrase that is translated as “let the buyer beware.” The phrase describes the concept in contract law that places the burden of due diligence on the buyer of a good or service. Caveat emptor is a fundamental principle in commerce and contractual relationships between a buyer and a seller.

So factually it was a part of basic Roman Law.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

April

Post by April »

protonvpn downloading into Puppy is a nightmare as it needs KWallet or others and puppy does not seem to have anything that is needed . Downloading through the PPM is unsuccessful for the same dependency nightmare.

I'd give it a run if I could get a downloaad made for Puppy , xenialpup64-7.5 but there is nothing .

Last edited by April on Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April

Post by April »

It has come good and properly downloaded and installed it finally . Probably tried 10 times?
This may have been a genuine problem with the network so I have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@ April, you're post here, viewtopic.php?p=54534#p54534 is essentially correct, except that I never asserted that America originated the concept "Caveat Emptor". The short version is that the 'English Common Law' of the time --both its procedures and its provisions-- was appropriated by the former colonies without it having been mentioned in the Treaty of Paris or a 'by your leave'.
I used the translation "Let the Buyer Beware" both to be better understood and as emblematic of the Culture of the Time. Also then absent from Legal considerations were implied covenants of habitability of property rented to domestic tenants; Restrictions against Child Labor, Fair Labor and Workmen's Compensation Laws, and the Right of Labor to Organize; In agreeing to an indenture of employment, the employee assume all risks inherent at the workplace.
All the foregoing and other curtailments upon the Liberty of those possessing economic power were inspired by legal and political developments in Western Europe; and such changes were stenuously opposed.
Laws do not change Cultures. Familiarity with how an alternative functions and time may, for good or ill. If Google can use its power to suppress competition that will be the norm for other business entities. That's what people will expect when dealing with a corporation; that what people will expect when working for a corporation.
As an example, how many of you have spent 10 minutes wading through telephone menus and waiting before you can actually speak to a human at a doctor's office? Hasn't that become 'the norm'? Have you ever complained?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi Please NO ONE get offended or go into attack mode for some information that might be helpful.

The 2011 mentioned above was NOT 2011, as it was 2007-2008 before a Presidency change occurred where in 2009 steps were put in place to "rescue' the 2 industries in the US.

I am not sure if ANY financial investment by ANY corporation should be met with our emotional reactions to those purchases or mergers. It in our world's International Business Model taught in university across the world. In fact it would not matter if the purchase were by/buy a US or UK or EU or CA or AU or ... Emotions aside, it is normal business where the intents of business is monetary within industries.

@April is sharing some accuracy in browser(s) behavior that I have been experiencing over the past 2 years; yet I know that this will only continue as the Internet continues its current march to W3. We are, in fact, moving to a new model...out of our control.

I dont agree with much of the contract practices that is seen in the world. I admire the Brits with their contract with China where they honored it and left as they promised almost a century ago. This honor does not mean I love everything they've done, merely that often we we've seen honor in the last century. Germany prior to WWII made a few treaties and did not honor them by contrast. Canada made treaties with their native peoples and makes attempts at honoring them while the US broke every treaty they made with their native peoples.

Contract laws are usually favoring businesses as they have the 'money' to sway how laws are written. The 'treaties' are those agreements we see online whenever we do something with a new business or new products we use, where we have to 'click agree'. Its not always built on moral terms.

Like most of us here, we raise eyelids with much of what we see and hear in the world around us. It is hopeful we are intelligent enough to filter and bend our behavior toward the MORAL side of life aiming for fair and equitable behavior with each other as well as in business when we are in positions to do so or to teach our young to do so.

Just some observations and not aimed at anyone of us. I respect the membership in this community and I hope this post is treated as just such...an observation.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

On the technical note this thread was opened on, I have been in the mode of using multiple browsers, each for the strengths one demonstrates over another for the various workloads i use in the internet.

@April, I am not sure of your network setup, but a router with a VPN ability might offer some ease of mind in internet use. But, as the internet continues to change, I am not so sure if my use of such will be an item of use in couple of years.

Oh well.

April

Post by April »

I agree . Its very difficult to just maintain your privacy . We must not give up. Not because you have something to hide but because every individual is entitled to a private life .
If they can ,these control freaks will look in your bedroom window with ill intent.

I am watching OscarTalks VPN development atm . Thats interesting.
viewtopic.php?t=5633

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This discussion could not have surfaced at a better time to bring awareness from the multiplicity of 'ideas' we ALL have collectively: some valid concerns and some not at all valid.

BUT, HERE IS SOMETHING PRESENTED HUMOROUSLY on the topic raised on this thread that most of us will not ONLY enjoy, but find useful and valid understanding of what our world in ... NOW!

If you are not blocked by your country, See for yourselves...

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Clarity wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:53 pm

This discussion could not have surfaced at a better time to bring awareness from the multiplicity of 'ideas' we ALL have collectively: some valid concerns and some not at all valid.

BUT, HERE IS SOMETHING PRESENTED HUMOROUSLY

on the topic raised on this thread that most of us will not ONLY enjoy, but find useful and valid understanding of what our world in ... NOW!

If you are not blocked by your country, See for yourselves...

What if the uploader doesn't allow you to watch it?

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

April

Post by April »

@Phoenix
Try changing the VPN to Europe and it will come up or America if you are prepared to wait for 10 minutes for it to load (somebody has interferred with America VPN)

April

Post by April »

America as a vpn is in a mess.
When I try to load the reply box here with america VPN it gives a page that says "that is unacceptable here"
Somebody needs to work on that one '

The Lastpass extension has just been disabled again so thats 8/4 to 21/4 or 13 days.
Deleted and reloaded alright this time though.

Return to “Users”