No sound in FIREFOX 91,8!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Mike3

No sound in FIREFOX 91,8!

Post by Mike3 »

So I installed a new puppy and installed the latest firefox from the PPM but there is no sound!

I get sound from playing audio files and palemoon webbrowser.

I read some threads on the forum so I installed also pulseaudio and enabled: Play DRM-controlled content.

I instalkled this version of firefox a lot of times through the PPM, prbably over 20 times and never ever had this issue.

It allways worked out of the box so to speak despite some missing libraries.

But now, nothing.

These are the missing libraries when I downloaded:

liblgpllibs.so
libmozavutil.so
libmozgtk.so
libmozsandbox.so
libmozsqlite3.so
libmozwayland.so
libxul.so
/usr/lib64/firefox-91esr/libnss3.so:
/usr/lib64/firefox-91esr/libsmime3.so:
/usr/lib64/firefox-91esr/libssl3.so:
/usr/lib64/firefox-91esr/libxul.so:

How can I fix this???

mikewalsh

Re: No sound in FIREFOX 91,8!

Post by mikewalsh »

@Mike3 :-

Eurrghh. In all honesty, the PPM is the last place I would try to obtain a functional browser that'll work out of the box in Puppy.

What Puppy is this? One of the Slackos, or one of PhilB's 'buntu-based Puppies (Xenial, Bionic, Fossa?) If the latter, those browsers are coming from the Ubuntu repos, and are built to work in Ubuntu.....NOT Puppy.

In any case, all of those deps you mention should, by rights, be in the main Firefox directory; they are when you obtain the thing direct from Mozilla! Canonical seem to butcher everything they touch these days.

You want some advice?

Best place for Puppy-compatible browsers is here on the Forum; "Additional Software"->Browsers & Internet. Have a skim through that. Fredx181 and I both have self-contained, 'portable' versions of Firefox knocking around there somewhere. These will give you audio OOTB, because they have 'apulse', the ALSA-compatible, PulseAudio 'emulator' built-in.

Full instructions for how to use them are in their respective threads.

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just following up on MikeWalsh's Post to make certain that you know. Other ways of getting Web-browsers installs them; that is their files get to written into your SaveFile/Folder: install, then execute a Save. Portable Web-browser are just that, portable. You can run them from anywhere. Most Users run them from /mnt/home --which does not occupy your SaveFile/Folder. But, if you want you can unpack them to /opt, which does, and run them from there.
Of course, if you locate them in /opt, then like any other 'installed' application in order to preserve changes --settings, bookmarks, addons, updates-- you have to execute a Save to write those changes to your SaveFile/Folder.
MikeWalsh's portables come with a script which, when executed, will create a menu-entry without regard for where the folder is located. fredx181's firefox-portable doesn't have it yet*; but MikeWalsh's firefox-esr does.

* I may be out-of-date as firefox, palemoon, and seamonkey will auto-update and I've been doing that for the last couple of years. Mike has worked out a way to update several other web-browsers; but it's not automatic.

Feek

Post by Feek »

@Mike3
If you use Ubuntu based puppies as Fossapup64 or Bionicpup64 and want to stay with a classic installation of Firefox:

go to quicpet program and choose "browsers" tab.
One click on Firefox will make a classic installation OOTB.

I did this in both above mentioned puppies and sound is without a problem.

After installation you will have to update it (maybe several times) in settings -> help -> about Firefox, because it will install the version from time the puppy was released.

Of course, to keep the installation you will have to save the changes to your savefolder/savefile as Mike has explained above.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

You need to use 'apulse'.
Find the firefox desktop file and edit it so its apulse firefox
Or if you changed the default browser icon, edit the file to say apulse firefox (There may be an $@ which you should keep.)

A side note:
Updating packages through PPM can be a bit awkward, resulting in PPM saying you have the same packages, but multiple different versions. So you first uninstall, then install.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Return to “Users”