SAMBA Steps for Cell-phone Users'

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This post contains the elements to turn-on, on you PC and what to turn-on on your Cell-Phone

On the PUP/DOG desktop, turn SAMBA on
This is simple, as all PUPs/DOGs come pre-built with SAMBA. And, in every case, it merely needs to be started.

In PUP desktops you go to Menu>Network>Samba Simple Management

Menu > Network > SAMBA ...
SAMBA Launch 1.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

OR

SAMBA Launch 2.jpg (42.9 KiB) Viewed 2087 times

Finally, START SAMBA sharing a folder to exchange information usage on the resulting screen that pops-up.

On the Cell-Phone

File-Manager example from the Play store

Cell-phone File Manager Example
Cell-phone File Manager Example
Cx File Manager.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
April

Re: SAMBA Steps for Cell-phone Users'

Post by April »

I'm wondering what is the purpose of this . The purpose of SAMBA ?

We have an android cell phone connector in the menu and need not do anything to connect. MTP Device v0.16 under Filesystem menu.

A better one is Gmtp which can be downloaded and is much more precise and timely.

Is Samba for Windows sufferers?

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Quick answer (and there are other good ones too...not to mention the one you indicate: "... Windows ...")

NO WIRES...EVER! No matter if you are a MAC users, a mainline Linux user, or a Windows user or mainframe, too.

Do nothing to your OS PC/machine, and merely add a phone app of your own choosing to your phone/tablet(s).

Hope this info is helpful and doesn't ruffle anyone's feather who'd want to know this inclusion that has been in Puppy Linux distros for years...even before MTP.

P.S. SAMBA is not for only Windows people. Its been around since 1994 and for a very brief prior it author (AU) and the Linux author (NZ) had included it together before separating into 2 development missions. Every OS platform in the world has smb client file transfer implemented! Its on Unix, Linux, MACs, Wins, BSD, mainframes, tablets, etc. and most users understand an smb implementation across the world.

April

Post by April »

If there are no wires ever then how does anything connect .?
A desktop to a phone for instance . OK I put an app on my phone but how does the desktop connect?

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @April
I assume that you, like many home users, have the home's wired and Wifi on the same subnet (aka same IP network). This is done for some very good reason in the home's ability to have devices interoperate. Its the same technology used for over 4 decades.

For example, if your home PC is on IP address 192.168.1.xx then your cell phone must be on LAN IP address 192.168.1.yy. (The important understanding is each MUST be on the same subnet to see each other: so in the above description the subnet identifies as the "192.168.1" part of the IP address.)

Your cell phone will be able to use its app to send or receive data to your LAN PC(s) because they can all see each other.

So, if your cell phone is Wifi connected to your home's LAN, you will open the app and have it navigate to the PC which is sharing a connection service ... in this case I am talking about a Puppy Linux running SAMBA that your cell phone app will connect to.

Hope that is helpful. ... no wires needed.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Nice Xf desktop.

New SAMBA user this week, it is working across distros including Android and Windows. My Android luck was with AstroFM, chosen for its backwards (os version) compatibility. Pity no default FM can handle the task (my phone has two, Files and File Manager).

My purpose was to use Puppy's frugal ramdisk in a Windows utility that has no Linux version.

Challenges:

a) I can't save in the 3rd party utility directly to a Puppy SAMBA share. I CAN save to ramdisk from Windows Paint (inexplicable discrepancy). After I write to a local Windows directory I can copy to the share.

b) ifconfig is not showing me my share IP. I am only getting that from the utility, which is the only way to access from Windows. E.g., ifconfig only reports my lo IP 127.0.0.1, but SAMBA reports 192.168.1.10 which is the only way I knew how to access from Windows.

Intermediate and useful.

Clarity wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 pm

NO WIRES...EVER! No matter if you are a MAC users, a mainline Linux user, or a Windows user or mainframe, too.

That IS nice but old hardware tends to have low wireless connection speeds.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

JASpup wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:57 am

... ifconfig is not showing me my ...

I haven't used if... tools in a decade. It has been replaced with updated network commands; namely "ip <options>"

In a terminal, enter "ip address"

Hope this helps

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

In the wash it's about the info, but in the attempt I used ifconfig and ip addr show. They're all providing feedback here in 32Xenial but not sure I had the same luck in every pup.

Linux Über Alles

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:31 pm

On the Cell-Phone
File-Manager example from the Play store

Cx File Manager.jpg
Cx File Manager.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 1297 times

Which of the icons there allows the samba connection? On my Android i selected "Access from" and it brought up an ftp server on the phone, rather than some method to hunt for the puppyshare directory.
Any tips?
Cheers!

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek Yes, that's all you need. Good choice as it has SMB client built-into the file-manager

greengeek wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:54 pm

Which of the icons there allows the samba connection? ...

Steps on your Android using cxFileManager

1. Click the "Plus sign" on the above photo

2. Remote Tab

3. Select SMB.jpg
    Select SMB.jpg (15.94 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

SMB Button - (This is for ALL local SMB servers ie Windows/MACs/SAMBA-is on EVERY major Linux distros)

4. Fill in IP address or use dropdown for the PC that you want to access

Add IP and credentials.jpg
    Add IP and credentials.jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
  5. The SAMBA username you may be using on the PUP is root and p-w woofwoof, On a Windows/MAC it's whatever you had setup.
    Note: If you hit the "MORE" button you can choose the ISO name for the 1st screen

6. The newly created icon will show up on the 1st screen.

Let me know if I missed something.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Playing SAMBA taught me one extra limit: XP Home cannot connect to SAMBA shares. According to a source it's Pro edition onwards. Thus far the basic technology works everywhere else I have tried (Windows / Linux / Android).

Linux Über Alles

Return to “Beginners Help”