acpi-cpufreq vs amd-pstate

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

acpi-cpufreq vs amd-pstate

Post by Grey »

So, I compiled kernel 5.17.1 with amd-pstate support. I found the CPPC setting in the BIOS.

Here I realized that the module is disabled by default. However, I really wanted to try :) But it didn't work out. I tried to give priority to one module over another, then I tried to add amd_pstate.enable=1 amd_pstate.shared_mem=1 parameters to Grub.

It didn't work. It gives out as before:

Code: Select all

root# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
acpi-cpufreq

If someone succeeds, please tell me how :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Phoenix

Re: acpi-cpufreq vs amd-pstate

Post by Phoenix »

You do have AMD CPU right? As well it looks for this _CPC entry, so if it doesn't exist it will fallback to the one you did not want. It may also be that acpi-cpufreq starts up faster than amd-pstate meaning you need to add this:

Code: Select all

initcall_blacklist=acpi_cpufreq_init

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

Grey

Re: acpi-cpufreq vs amd-pstate

Post by Grey »

I read the article and looked at the tests from Michael.
In principle, everything is as I expected. At the moment, amd_pstate is no better than its "acpi colleague".
Who is interested, you can immediately watch the last sentence on the sixth page of the article :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Users”