EasyOs does not have vmlinuz neither initrd nor sfs

Moderator: BarryK

doguito

EasyOs does not have vmlinuz neither initrd nor sfs

Post by doguito »

Hi, I downloaded a version of EasyOS, when unzipped there is only 1 file "img". Where are sfs, vmlinuz and initrd files? Thanks.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: EasyOs does not have vmlinuz neither initrd nor sfs

Post by rockedge »

Hello @doguito those files are inside of the .img which is an image of the EasyOS complete file structure.

.img file is similar to an .iso file. You will find in the install instructions how to burn the img file to a USB drive or a drive partition, which will decompress and expand into the EasyOS operating system.

BarryK

Re: EasyOs does not have vmlinuz neither initrd nor sfs

Post by BarryK »

Yes, as rockedge posted, you can write the .img file to a usb-stick, then you will see the vmlinuz, initrd and easy.sfs.

Or, you can extract them directly from the .img file...

If running Puppy or some other Linux, you might find this page useful; scroll down to "Manual steps":

https://easyos.org/install/easy-frugal- ... ation.html

Also, if doing a frugal install, this blog post is useful:

https://bkhome.org/news/202203/easier-f ... asyos.html

...I haven't yet updated the main EasyOS install tutorials with this info.

One difference from Puppy is that wkg_dev has to be a Linux filesystem, preferably ext4. And preferably with the the ext4 "encrypt" flag enabled.
boot_dev can be anything that the bootmanager can see, and could be same as wkg_dev.
Also boot_dir and wkg_dir can be anything you want, and can be the same if you want.

It is entirely up to you. If your boot manager is able to see vmlinuz in a ext4 partition, say sda7, then you could make boot_dev and wkg_dev the same, then organize the folders any way that appeals, for example, boot_dir=easyos/boot wkg_dir=easyos/working

While I'm at it, another detail that is different from Puppy: don't install to a version-specific folder, such as easyos-3.4.4, just have folder easyos, or whatever.

Return to “EasyOS”