Moderator: BarryK

pemasu

Re: EasyOS 3.4.4 released

Post by pemasu »

@BarryK
Pristine another usb boot. After failed X, executing the code:

Code: Select all

# sed -i -e 's%HorizSync%#HorizSync%' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

results in successful boot to the X desktop.
Dont use too much time in pondering this failed X. Now that I know that it is just choosing right Xorg driver and X resolution is the solution, It is not nuisance for me. After first successful boot to the X, the configuration will be remembered on the next boots and I dont have to go through it after first boot.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

pemasu wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:44 pm

Lenovo yoga slim 7 pro laptop with ryzen cpu and amd radeon graphics. Kernel module amdgpu works fine. At the first boot X failed, then I did modprobe amdgpu and the X started fine. Laptop resumes from suspend, it has been problematic in earlier kernel versions when I googled about laptop.

@pemasu
Feodor emailed a link with info on that laptop -- very nice specs!

Yeah, I can see why X failed to run, with those HorizSync and VertRefresh limits in /etc/X11/Xorg.0.log

Interesting that it worked just by commenting out the HorizSync, the VertRefresh still has the limits "59-76", though the Yoga is rated to run at 90Hz.

I see that to save battery life, the refresh can be set down to 60Hz:

So in your case, I suppose the screen refresh must be running at or under 76Hz. I wonder what you get if you run xrandr:

# xrandr
pemasu

Post by pemasu »

@BarryK
There was time restricted discount sale campaign of the Lenovo laptops in Finland. There was 2 different versions of the slim yoga 7 pro. Glossy one with that higher 90 Hz display and another with matte IPS panel with lower 60 Hz display panel. It had slightly slower ryzen cpu. I chose that matte IPS panel 60 Hz version, so that I dont have to change the refresh rate to the 60 Hz for battery saving. I also like matte IPS panel in laptop. I was aware, that there is solution in linux to change that refresh rate from 90 Hz to 60 Hz. The matte IPS panel version won.

By the way. Lenovo gaming ( Legion ) laptops have 165 Hz displays.

So xrandr shows me 60 Hz refresh rate with all resolution choices.

Last edited by pemasu on Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
user1111

Post by user1111 »

Just a point of note, I boot Fatdog, loading it into ram, and then run a container that is pretty much my daily system within Xephyr, unshare, capabilities dropped, chroot using the main sfs that's already in ram as its image. Very similar to (and derived from Barry's excellent work) EasyOS.

Instead of booting the main system (DISPLAY=:0) and then starting the container session (DISPLAY=:2 (whatever)) I just boot Fatdog to cli (pfix=nox) and then run

X :2 &
DISPLAY=:2 container.sh

that starts a X, and then with the container initiating the Xephyr ...etc.

No main gui Fatdog session, just a cli. The only X is the containers :2 display. I find that runs much faster/smoother (and fonts look nicer) than if there is X running on both :0 (main session) and :2 (container).

When you first run X :2 & the display flips over to graphical ctrl-alt-F4 (or whatever, according to the configuration of number of consoles) display (black screen) and you have to ctrl-alt-F1 to switch back to the (text/cli) console session to run the DISPLAY=:2 container.sh script.

It's also nicer in the respect that there's no host grab focus toggle issues, it consistently remains locked into the container session. And I guess no conflicts between main session configuration of display ...etc. and that of the containers configuration.

IIRC Xephyr is a framebuffer type overlay on top of the main X, so simpler/faster, and for me at least a very noticeable difference when that is the only X instance running. I don't mind having Fatdog main session as cli based as I don't access that much. I just boot, use, shutdown without saving once I have the system configured as I like. When I do make changes I remove the pfix=nox boot switch and boot the full Fatdog main session/desktop which I can use to make the changes and rebuild the main sfs before returning to booting pfix=nox again. For 'remastering' I just have the main sfs extracted out (unsquashfs) and after any saves (multisession....save files) are just added to that (squashfs-root folder, using unsquashfs -f -d squashfs-root multi....sfs) and then the new fd64.sfs created from that (mksquashfs squashfs-root fd64.sfs -comp lz4).

I've lost track of EasyOS, I think it was a 2.x version I last tried. So don't know if any of the above might be of use/help, but posted just in case it might. I don't have as much free time these days what with being the sole carer of a 90 year old (mum with dementia).

user1111

Post by user1111 »

rufwoof wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:00 pm

IIRC Xephyr is a framebuffer type overlay on top of the main X, so simpler/faster, and for me at least a very noticeable difference when that is the only X instance running.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E88353_01/ht ... hyr-1.html

Xephyr is a real X server which uses the host X server window as "framebuffer" via fast SHM XImages.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/basil.holloway/A ... it-shm.PDF

The basic capability provided is that of shared memory XImages. This is essentially a version of the ximage interface where the actual image data is stored in a shared memory segment, and thus need not be moved through the Xlib interprocess communication channel. For large images, use of this facility can result in some real performance increases.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

@rufwoof
I knew that you are working on containers in Fatdog.
Thanks for the development notes.

Regarding Easy since 2.x, the container side of things hasn't changed much.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Hi @BarryK

Re Automatic popup of drives and xdotool mouse moving/clicking, I guess to invoke a root:3 or whatever type action to show the drives.

I mostly use a laptop/keyboard so I set keybindings for the main and other popup menus, WIN+space for main 'puppy' Menu (root:1), Alt-Space for my URL bookmarks (root:3) ...etc.

<RootMenu label="BookMarks" labeled="false" height="26" onroot="3">
        <Program icon="yt" label="ytplayer">ytplayer</Program>
        <Program icon="mini-dog" label="PuppyLinux">/opt/google/chrome/chrome --no-sandbox --start-maximized  --js-flags='--jitless' -d https://forum.puppylinux.com</Program>
        <Program icon="yahoo" label="Yahoo">/opt/google/chrome/chrome --no-sandbox --start-maximized  --js-flags='--jitless' -d https://uk.finance.yahoo.com</Program>
        <Program icon="bbc" label="News">/opt/google/chrome/chrome --no-sandbox --start-maximized  --js-flags='--jitless' -d https://news.bbc.co.uk</Program>
        </RootMenu>

Where .jwmrc keys section looks like ...

<Key key="Up">up</Key>
    <Key key="Down">down</Key>
    <Key key="Right">right</Key>
    <Key key="Left">left</Key>
    <Key key="h">left</Key>
    <Key key="j">down</Key>
    <Key key="k">up</Key>
    <Key key="l">right</Key>
    <Key key="Return">select</Key>
    <Key key="Escape">escape</Key>

<Key mask="CAS" key="q">exit</Key>
    <Key mask="CAS" key="r">restart</Key>
    <Key mask="A"   key="#">desktop#</Key>

<Key mask="4"   key="space">root:1</Key> <!-- WIN-space main jwm menu          -->
    <Key mask="A"   key="space">root:3</Key> <!-- ALT-space URL bookmarks menu     -->
    <Key mask="C"   key="space">window</Key> <!-- Ctrl-Space Window title bar menu -->

<Key mask="C"   key="Down">exec:amixer -c 1 set Master 2%-</Key> <!-- sound up -->
    <Key mask="C"   key="Up">exec:amixer set -c 1 Master 2%+</Key> <!-- sound down -->

<Key mask="4"   key="Tab">next</Key>
    <Key mask="4"   key="Return">exec:urxvt +sb</Key>
    <Key mask="4"   key="m">maximize</Key>
    <Key mask="4"   key="x">close</Key>
    <Key mask="4"   key="f">fullscreen</Key>
    <Key mask="4"   key="d">fullscreen</Key>  <!-- WIN+f full screen is easier on fingers via WIN+d alternative -->
    <Key mask="4"   key="Down">minimize</Key>

Assuming your drives menu is another root:x action then, if say root:4, having a key mask that invokes root:4, say WIN+d defined in .jwmrc would only require xdotool key Super_L+d to pop up that menu. Perhaps a neater way rather than relying upon potentially variable xdotool x:y mouse positioning and clicking.

On my setup I don't even have a tray MENU button, I use the clock for that, where I have that at the far left, and a left mouse on the clock shows the menu, a right click shows my URL's menu, a middle click toggles show/hide desktop

<Clock format="%H:%M %a %d %b">
            <Button mask="1">root:1</Button>
            <Button mask="2">showdesktop</Button>
            <Button mask="3">root:3</Button>
        </Clock>

My first entry in my URL's menu is MochiMoppel's youtube without ads player script, that reads the clipboard to invoke a youtube directly (no ads etc.), so search DuckDuck for a youtube (Videos) right click and copy a youtube link, and alt-space enter for me has that open the video.

The original theory behind my choice of key masks was to have WIN+ ... do windows type actions, Ctrl+ ... to do control type actions (such as Ctrl up/down arrows to raise/lower the alsa volume), but as from the above, I'm not there yet, for instance its Ctrl+space to open the jwm window menu option from where I can down/up arrow to select move, resize ..etc. choice and then use the keyboard to move/resize/etc windows.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

rufwoof,
Yes, moving the mouse pointer over the drives icon, is an awkward way to do it.
I have made a note of your method, and will check it out later.

Easy 3.4.5 release is imminent, so I won't change that, get it out as-is.

After that, will look at various refinements, including your suggestion.
Thanks for the info.

ndujoe2

Post by ndujoe2 »

Barry, thanks for your continued effort and interest in developing EASYOS 3.4.4 and your future versions.

Return to “EasyOS”