Oh tried windows 11

wizard

Re: Oh tried windows 11

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

May be easier to just download another ISO and start clean. Would recommend an older version like 1511 or 1607. They will run without activation.
Install offline and then use this to stop updates before going onlne:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Sys ... s-10.shtml

Try this to stop spying:
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Sys ... /WPD.shtml

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

I don't think a subscription model is out of the question. With secure boot and bitlocker they can lock you out of your operating system and encrypted drives. (your operating system / their operating system??) I'm not saying there's a clear agenda that it will happen, but I have high confidence they know it's possible and that affects their decision-making. Selling it as protecting your security is part truth, mostly sales pitch, but probably a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Microsoft can make money off of secure boot it wouldn't surprise me a bit if problems with security while booting into your operating system shoot up. Yes, I am very jaded, and my opinion is not based on any great technical understanding.

I'll offset that by saying something nice. Thusfar Microsoft has not flexed their muscle (in terms of violating privacy, censorship, and so forth) as hard as other Big Tech like Google and Facebook. That doesn't mean they don't have a big muscle and can't flex it anytime they want. It just means they haven't deemed it profitable yet.

Here's something totally unrelated (; The top 8 corporations on the planet by market cap.
$2.99 trillion - Apple
$2.79 trillion - Microsoft
$2.14 trillion - Saudi Aramco
$1.75 trillion - Alphabet (Google)
$1.57 trillion - Amazon
$1.22 trillion - NVIDIA
$910 billion - Meta (Facebook)
$790 billion - Tesla

And yes, Tesla is a software company too.

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wizard turns out it is insanely easy to get to the password reset mechanism in WIndows 10 without logging in using a Puppy Linux to do it.

The Dell Optiplex 980 dual boots Windows 10 along with a bunch of Puppy Linux's and KLV's that reside on a Linux ext4 partition. The boot loader is /mnt/sda1 (FAT32), the Windows file system is on /mnt/sda2 (NTFS) and the Puppy Linux's with Kennel Linux on /mnt/sda3 (Linux ext4)

Booted into F96-CE_4 and with Rox-filer opened to /mnt/sda2/Windows/System32

renamed /mnt/sda2/Windows/System32/Utilman.exe to /mnt/sda2/Windows/System32/Utilman1.exe
duplicated /mnt/sda2/Windows/System32/Cmd.exe to /mnt/sda2/Windows/System32/Utilman.exe

Reboot into Windows 10
On the login splash screen - lower right corner- click the Accessibility button icon this will now start a cmd terminal.

Code: Select all

control userpasswords2

Reset the passwords using the GUI.
Login.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

Yep, that's the command window bypass. Seems like I read they closed that hole in later versions. You're up and running.

Just ordered my Turbotax today, your post reminded me it was time.

The change over to W11 will be a pain since TT has the software locked hard (motherboard, cpu, hdd) to the original installed hardware. I feel sorry for anyone who has a major component fail since it turns into a hassle to recover use of the program. Will see how it goes when the time comes.

Thanks
wizard

Insanitor

Post by Insanitor »

I don’t get it. Are people looking for a top secret classified version of Windows 11 or something? I never had problems like this.

What am I doing right? <— I know this sounds wrong.

When I go, the smiles and the laughs go with me.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I don’t get it. Are people looking for a top secret classified version of Windows 11 or something? I never had problems like this.

Not really a problem. I was given in 2018 a DELL Optiplex 980 refurbished with Windows 10 installed on it. The person who had it never used it and gifted me it to get it off his hands. Since 2018 I have run Puppy Linux on it when I set it up to boot using Grub4Dos. I resized the original drive partitions, so I could add a Linux ext4 partition onto the hard disk. I never booted Windows 10 and didn't even know what state it was in.

Well TurboTax no longer supports 32 bit WIn10 so I needed a Win10 64 bit to run it. So before buying WIndows I tried out the refurbushed machine and it's never before run Windows 10 OS. It booted right up into Win10 but I did not know what the passwords were for the Admin or the main-user accounts. So I used one of the Puppy Linux's on the HDD to set up a console window bypass to be able to run the command to start the password management GUI with Admin permissions. Then reset all the passwords, logged in afterwards successfully....no data loss and the WIndows 10 system in pristine condition.

I used @wizard 's advice and loaded some program utilities to tweak WIndows phoning home in my favor.

Did then the sys updates........took 6 hours and 2 reboots.......then finally installed the new current TurboTax software which is running and ready to go.

trawglodyte

Post by trawglodyte »

I got to (had to) re-install Windows 10 and Windows 11 again, so here's the skinny as of 2/5/2024. Rufus 4.4 offers some nice options for creating installation media from the official .iso's (which are free to download).

Rufus2.PNG
Rufus2.PNG (25.04 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

Setting it up for local account and naming the user directory whatever you want is a big plus in my book. No need to enter an e-mail and password for Microsoft account.There's a few other things I like about the local account vs sign-in with Microsoft account. But, like I said, you can always add a Microsoft account later.

You STILL can activate it with a product key if you want to. As of today you also can still activate Win11 with a Win10 product key, or activate Win10 with a Win7 product key. You can probably get a Win10PRO product key for <$20, or find one for free.

The trick is when you do that, it activates and then assigns you a new product key. So you want to get it and write it down, find it by entering <wmic path softwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey> in command prompt. This is important because Microsoft policy could change, and having the new key actually for Win11PRO might be helpful to you.

After uninstalling all the Microsoft apps I don't want (upgrading to PRO version allows you to uninstall more of them, but not Edge. Edge you just have to use it's settings to disable when it's not open) and then installing several apps I wanted, Win10 weighs in at 47.9G and Win11 at 64.8G installed.

I don't have a crystal ball, it could be due to my secure boot settings I'll be locked out of them both if Microsoft policy changes. I don't use either much anyway. I just like to keep my options open. For me I like having them installed even if I don't boot either for months. I think making a USB for each with those settings w/ RUFUS is worthwhile whether you have immediate use for it or not. And, for me, installing both with valid, activated PRO keys (while cheap or free to do so) and using local account log-in leaves me the most options possible.

Like a monkey trying to fly a space-ship. What's this button do?
Like a 12-yr old trying to wire a house. Gonna get zapped!

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Did then the sys updates........took 6 hours and 2 reboots......

Just built 3 different KLV operating systems via script in under 50 minutes. Then set up 10 boot-able frugal installations of F96-CE_4 using @wiak 's KL-multi (wd_multi) script in another 10 minutes.

wizard

Post by wizard »

If you work with MS Windows systems I highly recommend you try Aomei Backup to create system images. I typically do a clean install, turn off all the spying, add software and configure to my needs. At that point I create a "master" backup image. If a system gets corrupted I can use Puppy to extract the personal data files, then use Aomei to restore the image. Takes about 30 minutes.

Aomei can restore to completely different hardware and partitions, including partitions smaller than the source. You can download the free Hiren's Windows 10 BootCD PE ISO, which includes Aomei, and make a W10 bootable USB.

wizard

mimine

Post by mimine »

This is so complicated...Why you don't use a "normal" windows 11 version and tweak it by yourself ? That's what I do, more or less...

wiak

Post by wiak »

Most everything seems complicated (sometimes to the point of seeming impossible) if you are not used to doing it. The opposite is also usually true. Nowadays, in some but not all areas of Linux maintenance, I thankfully often now find it really easy (Linux is relatively consistent in what it expects and where) even though it often involves a lot of understanding of how things are organised. Been so long since I worked with Windows I feel decidedly rusty there, but generally system type work is similar no matter the OS despite being organised differently.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

stemsee

Post by stemsee »

mouldy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:13 pm

https://ia904506.us.archive.org/2/items ... 00.x64.iso

Thats the link I found in my browser download history. I didnt otherwise keep track of it. I am not promoting this in any way. But kinda interesting.

This has installed on one of my uefi enabled chromebooks, an Acer 714, not a spin. I had tried win11 amd win10 previously but could not find an nvme driver that recognised internal storage.....this does!

thanks for sharing.

mimine

Post by mimine »

I looked and there are 1000 versions of moded windows 11, which one to use ? How do I know they dont containt viruses spyrwares trojans ?
Which tools to optimise it among the 5000 available ?
:)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mimine

All "modded" MS Windows versions come with drawbacks and shortcomings and there are no guarantees that they don't contain malware.

If you don't understand how to deal with those issues, you should avoid them as they are not a good choice for general computing.

wizard

mimine

Post by mimine »

wizard wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:43 pm

@mimine

All "modded" MS Windows versions come with drawbacks and shortcomings and there are no guarantees that they don't contain malware.

If you don't understand how to deal with those issues, you should avoid them as they are not a good choice for general computing.

wizard

OK... So they are good for what if they can contain malware ?

wizard

Post by wizard »

OK... So they are good for what if they can contain malware ?

Experimenting and testing only.

wizard

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

As Wizard stated "there are no guarantees that they don't contain malware"

So, if you decide to install/use a mod take preventative measures.

Some users may only want to run the OS within a virtual environment for a particular task. Who knows?

They same could be said about Linux applications.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Not so sure the version windows downloaded from M$ doesnt include malware.... LOL Dang thing has as many holes as a piece of Swiss cheese. Supposedly for your benefit to get the full windows experience..... whether you want that experience or not.

bugnaw333

Post by bugnaw333 »

I am a Windows user before since Win 95 until Windows 10 then tried different puppies like Xenial, Bionic, Fossa on multi-boot environment and Fatdog on USB stick.
In 2022, Barry K introduced easyOS using the Limine bootloader. @BarryK and @mintsuki gave their full to run the OS on my old Fujitsu laptop.
My favorite database (Borland Reflex) DOS program runs on DOSBox now. I will only use windows Isodraw on technical drawings. Most of the time EasyOS. :thumbup2:

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I assume this maybe works for win11 but just recently found out Rufus has option to create "windows to go" from a windows iso. Meaning a bootable install of windows to a usb drive, not the installer. I was wanting to experiment with it on old laptop missing its hardrive connector ribbon. And I used an iso of a very early win10. Yep it works. My Rufus was a 3.x series so yea dont know if they still offer this option. I just dont keep up that well with windows world, had no idea Rufus had this option. Was just playing with Rufus and saw it. Shareware software to do this been around long time, but little Rufus being able to do it pretty cool. Be aware M$ does pay attention and later versions win10 had one very small "sys" file that wouldnt let a Rufus created "win to go" boot, you get the blue screen of death. Rufus popped up warning about this file might be bad if the win2go didnt boot. You then have to find that file from older version or on web and substitute it. The iso I used was one of earliest so didnt have this problem.

UPDATE: Ok that early version win10 didnt do what I wanted. Must been some alpha or beta version. But it did donate that earlier system file I needed. So made another usb bootable with Rufus using the 900MB Tiny10, the 64bit version. And subbed the earlier version WppRecorder.sys file into it. It boots. and does whats needed and lovely not having to deal with all the cruft in regular win10 iso. One thing when you boot these, I found first time win10 adapts to the new hardware on the different computer, then shuts down. Second time it then boots to the lockscreen, then to the desktop. Tiny10 kinda shows what win10 could have been if M$ cared more about pleasant experience for the customer more than maximizing the dollar extraction and annoying the customer. Yea kinda neat to have windows boot from usb. And great that Rufus can do it. Rufus gets a gold star on its collective forehead.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

https://windowsxlite.com/

Somehow ran across this third party modified win 11 while chasing down rabbitholes for something else. I couldnt get their barebones "atomic" version to properly download. But got one of the "ultralight" versions to download, the one with the "elf with glowing earrings" theme. :roll: Ok changed it to high contrast and then blank aqua desktop background. But I really like it. No, not going to turn me towards being some windows fanboy, LOL, but what this guy was able to do with an annoying Microsoft creation is pretty amazing. Silk purse out of a sows ear type thing. This is the one people with the windows netbooks having the tiny eMMC drives need, well those insisting they need windows and clippy. Takes 3GB fully installed. Yes made a "windows to go" version with Rufus. No bad files, Rufus had no problem. Xlite person didnt just n-lite it, he then made it lot more pleasant and responsive to use. Fixed usual broken stuff, etc. If I just had to use windows, this is one I would pick. First windows in long time that I didnt feel I needed to constantly fight with to keep it from doing stuff I didnt want it to do. Course who knows what hidden mysteries still exist in it. Windows is a swiss cheese of an operating system.

Be aware this is a stripped down system, had notepad and wordpad and about it, you will need to BYOB (bring your own browser). I still had Firefox portable from messing with Tiny10 so used that.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

Do you have a URL you can share?

Thanks
wizard

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

wizard wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:23 pm

@mouldy

Do you have a URL you can share?

Thanks
wizard

https://windowsxlite.com/ Go to that home page and its pretty simple to click on downloads or whatever page you want. only think I am not super thrilled with, he uses a video to describe each variation rather than just text. If you want the elf earring version it stands out... LOL Though honestly I still think that super barebones "atomic" would been most interesting. Win11 in a 1GB iso. But the elf one is only 1.5GB so probably worth the extra. He has streamlined versions with all bells and whistles, claims they are just as fast, but they are going to take lot more space I am sure.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I was curious, tried both my tax software and latest Kindle4PC and both worked. So I sure dont need anything more than that from windows. I noticed on that website some extra bits and pieces are available if some software doesnt work. Firefox portable updated itself without asking even though I had it set to ASK. Not happy about that. Bad enough they dont give option to NOT update with no nagging.

Downside I tried LICK and that didnt work. I suspect cause I created this as "windows to go" with Rufus. LICK.exe runs and does what its supposed to do or at least I assume it does, as files are created. But when I reboot, nope, just boots into windows. Not offered any menu or choice to boot BookwormPup. Just guessing its probably whatever Rufus does to let windows boot from usb. LICK is expecting it to be a normal internal drive windows install.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

Bad enough they dont give option to NOT update with no nagging.

You can manually stop it.

wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

-Rufus 3.20, also 4.4
-Windows X-Lite (22621.1928) 'Micro 11' SE By FBConan.iso (the one you recommended)

Having an issue with making "Windows to Go", it fails at the end says "Error, unable to patch/setup files for boot" How did you configure yours? Here are my Rufus settings

Thanks
wizard

rufus-error.jpg
rufus-error.jpg (47.21 KiB) Viewed 318 times

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I used GPT.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, GPT has nothing to do with it. Its oddly enough the version windows you run Rufus. I tried running Rufus in "micro 11" to make a new instance of windows to go. It errored on boot files whether I used MBR or GPT.

So back to what worked before, I ran Rufus on that Tiny 10 that I put on the Stream. Bingo, used MBR option and made windows to go that will boot on a non-UEFI computer. So try a different version windows. no idea if its "micro 11" that is the problem or win11 in general or what. If you have a selection of windows options I would first of all try running Rufus in win10. It should work fine in win11 but ??? All I can say I was successful creating windows to go in Tiny 10, not in Micro 11. Pretty sure win to go has to be created in either win10 or win11. Dont think you can use earlier windows though sure Rufus itself probably run on earlier versions.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

LOL, been booting the MBR windows-to-go on some old computers. Using it right now on an old AMD E350. These were slow. But its not horrible-horrible. I am typing this with no lag. Booting takes a bit and that wonky old bios half way supports UEFI. I couldnt boot the GPT version, but if I force it to boot legacy with the MBR version, can get it booted. If I just let it do it automatic boot, it tries and fails to boot it UEFI. Hey it does make that HP Stream look fast.... But you know if I just had to do some minimal email/surfing, it would do.

Oh for firewall, doesnt have the Microsoft one, that was removed, look in the "Extras" and it comes with Tinywall that you can install. I vaguely remember TinyWall from XP days. Still works, I had to establish permission for Firefox before I could surf.

AntonellaBiserka

Post by AntonellaBiserka »

mouldy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:14 am

Windows 10 loses support in 2025 so not far down the road. I rarely use it except to run yearly tax software. Again this year tried tax software in WINE. It installs, it runs, the fonts even look nice. BUT it wont let me enter activation code and it wont update. So thinking, three years away, what about win11.

I found a hacked n-lited version online, download a meager 1.6GB, tiny compared to official version. Burned the iso to dvd. Booted. LOL, the installer is in Portuguese. It gives an install option of "Ingles". So off to the races. This by way on my ancient HP DC5100 with P4 processor. Well this hacked version had been hacked to where it doesnt check hardware and at the end doesnt try to force one into a Microsoft Account. And it finally boots to desktop....

Its of course in Portuguese, I imagine the hacker person to reduce size removed all language packs except for his native one. To my eyes it looks just like variation on win10 so guessing they needed an influx of cash to bring this out. Oh I did like way its organized better than win10. But not enough to ever want to use it on daily basis. I installed the tax software and no surprise it installed fast and worked well. Just to use it once a year for tax software, dont even care that its in Portuguese, the software installed is in English.

Its funny this old computer gets yet another lease on life. Maybe 30 years old when its finally retired. It originally came with XP on it though some may even had win2000. Then the tax software sniffed for XP and refused to run one year. I think it could, they just purposefully made it check and not run on XP. That year I got tax softwaer to run in WINE but it was a painful experience for a one time use. So found out win10 could be run unactivated indefinitely so installed that. Sure wasnt going to buy it. Amazingly worked ok. No sound card driver for it in win10 but who cares. Now as win10 winds down it gets chance to continue with win11. Never would have believed it. I will of course lock it so it wont try to update. That would probably not be a good thing if MS gets more um, determined to micromanage things.

I wouldnt count on win11 continuing this lax about what it installs on. I imagine Microsoft will lock it down to where it cant be installed on older computers and eliminate the workarounds, but for now, works fine for my purposes. Yep win11 on a nearly 20 year old computer. LOL With all that bloat hacked away, it really even runs fairly reasonably, not sluggish.

How is this taking you so far? Interesting that you were able to get Windows 11 running on such an old system, even if it was a hacked version. I imagine Microsoft will likely tighten up the hardware requirements going forward, but for now it's cool that you could breathe some new life into that old PC. Just be careful about security with the hacked version - might be better to upgrade to an officially supported OS when Windows 10 support ends in 2025.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”