Chrome, Vivaldi in VanillaDPup 9.1.x

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

Maybe

Chrome, Vivaldi in VanillaDPup 9.1.x

Post by Maybe »

Hey!

Using VanillaDPup_9.1.7_64_bios it is not possible to launch Google-Chrome, Chromium, Vivaldi browsers. I installed them by downloading the latest .deb versions from the internet. After the installation process, when trying to start the terminal, it shows the following error:

[5791:5791:0206/041424.135771:ERROR: zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(90)] Running as root without --no-sandbox is not supported. See http://crbug.com/638180

From Dmitry (Russia)

dimkr

Re: Chrome, Vivaldi in VanillaDPup 9.1.x

Post by dimkr »

You'll need to run them as spot, they refuse to run as root (that's normal, true for any distro).

You'll need to do something like setup-spot google-chrome=true or setup-spot vivaldi=true.

pemasu

Post by pemasu »

You'll need to run them as spot, they refuse to run as root (that's normal, true for any distro).

Not true. /usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh takes care of that for vlc and google-chrome-* using bbe to remove root restriction.
The script is not updated for --no-sandbox:

Code: Select all

exec /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 "$@"' > /usr/bin/google-chrome

It should be:

exec /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --no-sandbox --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 "$@"' > /usr/bin/google-chrome

So basically @Maybe needs only edit script: /usr/bin/google-chrome and there add: --no-sandbox to the script.

#!/bin/sh
exec /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --no-sandbox --user-data-dir=/root/.config/chrome --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 "$@"

Is it safe to use root restriction disabled binaries, is another thing. Anyway, Puppy already has bbe manipulation enabled, and also In Vanilla dpups.
I believe using as spot approach is safer and better.

Last edited by pemasu on Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

pemasu wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:56 am

Puppy already has bbe manipulation enabled

Yes, but this only affects PPM. Chrome and Vivaldi can't be installed using PPM, because they're not in the Debian repos.

pemasu

Post by pemasu »

Well. @Maybe was speaking about using google-chrome and they can be installed using ppm and /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh just by clicking the .deb and I suppose that was what @Maybe was reporting. The installed google-chrome and other browsers didnt launch after installation. I maybe speak ppm and /usr/local/petget/* scripts as synonym. When you click the downloaded .deb, it launches installation which uses /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh and /usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh and that way the unmaintained scripts causes trouble.

I tried to show that there is need for update in /usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh script. It does not hack enough the browser installation when you click the downloaded google-chrome-*.deb.
Should it be changed to support run-as-spot instead.
I believe nobody is actively updating the horrible ppm or /usr/local/petget/* scripts atm and that is still the easiest way to install .debs not found using synaptic packet manager.

pemasu

hacks-postinstall.sh comparison

Post by pemasu »

I checked Barry Kauler's easyos 3.2.1 and it has several remarks of improvements to the hacks-postinstall.sh script. Latest one is from year 2020. Even his script does not have --no-sandbox in google-chrome-* exec line. But easyos has another ways launch those browsers I believe, non root mechanism I suppose.
Vanilla Dpup uses woof-ce hacks-postinstall.sh script and latest addition is from year 2013.
So the script has been overlooked several years. Run-as-spot could be the best improvement to the browser sections ?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

There are many PPM-related issues:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ssues/2186
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ssues/2590

I think PPM is beyond repair, and my intention is to remove it in the future. To fix the issue with applications that refuse to run as root, I propose https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2846.

BarryK

Re: hacks-postinstall.sh comparison

Post by BarryK »

pemasu wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:31 am

I checked Barry Kauler's easyos 3.2.1 and it has several remarks of improvements to the hacks-postinstall.sh script. Latest one is from year 2020. Even his script does not have --no-sandbox in google-chrome-* exec line. But easyos has another ways launch those browsers I believe, non root mechanism I suppose.
Vanilla Dpup uses woof-ce hacks-postinstall.sh script and latest addition is from year 2013.
So the script has been overlooked several years. Run-as-spot could be the best improvement to the browser sections ?

Yes, in Easy, I have setup SeaMonkey, Firefox and Chrome|Chromium to default to run non-root. Not as spot though, each runs as its own user. Ex, Firefox runs as user 'firefox'.

I currently have Chrome as an SFS. The latest release, 3.3, has both Firefox and SeaMonkey builtin. If Firefox had not been builtin, there is a firefox-skel-ask.pet which only installs the skeleton setup, including to run as user 'firefox', and includes a "Download latest Firefox" in the menu. PET:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/noarch ... 220107.pet

...that won't work as-is in any of the pups, but could be modified to use spot.

I am still thinking through the details.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

This will be fixed in 9.1.8.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@dimkr :-

dimkr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:05 am

You'll need to do something like setup-spot google-chrome=true or setup-spot vivaldi=true.

Mm. Well, yes.....technically. But even today Chrome CAN still be run as '/root' IF so desired. The exec line from a modified 'root' version of my Chrome-portable looks like this:-

"$HERE/chrome/chrome" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE/google-chrome --test-type --no-sandbox --disable-infobars "$@"

It's the "--test-type" switch that's the magic ingredient. Don't ask me what it does (Phil B. first brought it to the community's attention in the early days of the Chrome-portable thread)....but afterwards you can run Chrome as 'root' in Puppy without complaints. (--disable-infobars is kinda redundant nowadays, since it's deprecated. I'm just too lazy to remove it.....and it doesn't seem to hurt, even so.)

(The only downside to doing this is that the browser then won't let you sign-in to any Google-related services.....but if you don't use their services, you're laughing.)

Big Brother is absolutely determined he's going to protect you from the consequences of your own foolishness, one way or another.....whether you like it, or not! :roll:

--------------------------------------------

@pemasu :-

bbe hasn't worked for the last 3 or 4 years.....not for me, anyway. I gave up on it in the end, and accepted the inevitable transition to running as a 'restricted' user. My Chrome-portable contains its own 'mini' spot directory, and sets its own permissions as the 'LAUNCH' wrapper-script executes. All config stuff remains completely self-contained.

As it stands, running as root is, in fact, relatively easy with the currently-available "--switches".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williwaw

Re: hacks-postinstall.sh comparison

Post by williwaw »

BarryK wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 am

Yes, in Easy, I have setup SeaMonkey, Firefox and Chrome|Chromium to default to run non-root. Not as spot though, each runs as its own user. Ex, Firefox runs as user 'firefox'.

Can apt be directed to install an app "as its own user"?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

9.1.9 fixes this issue: whenever you install a problematic application (https://github.com/vanilla-dpup/woof-CE ... ca8f310R15), it gets automatically configured to run as spot.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

9.1.11 will make it super easy to install Chrome and Vivaldi, see the screenshots in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2887. Download the .deb and open it (or just click a .deb file you already have), let gedbi install it. The browser will be automatically configured to run as spot, and the menu gets updated automatically.

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”