Fossapup64-SwitchT: a desktop theme project

Moderator: Forum moderators

MochiMoppel

Re: Fossapup64-SwitchT: a desktop theme project

Post by MochiMoppel »

geo_c wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:19 am

And I'm able to do that by simply using the sed command on the ROX options file and inserting what I want. Like this line which replaces the color title and variable color number characters with the color title and my preferred color number (which in ROX is 12 digits for some reason)

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/display_unkn_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_unkn_colour">#7e163bb83bb8<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options

Looks more complicated than it needs to be. I don't understand what you mean by replacing the "color title". The name? Isn't that defined by ROX and therefore "untouchable"?

You could change all colors with a single sed statement, something like this (example for 3 colors with fake values, add your own):

sed -ri '
s/(display_unkn_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#888888888888/
s/(pinboard_fg_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#222222222222/
s/(display_pipe_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#555555555555/
' /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:03 am
geo_c wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:19 am

And I'm able to do that by simply using the sed command on the ROX options file and inserting what I want. Like this line which replaces the color title and variable color number characters with the color title and my preferred color number (which in ROX is 12 digits for some reason)

sed -i 's/display_unkn_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_unkn_colour">#7e163bb83bb8<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options

Looks more complicated than it needs to be. I don't understand what you mean by replacing the "color title". The name? Isn't that defined by ROX and therefore "untouchable"?

Yes, I misspoke, I'm replacing the color-title and variable-color-number by re-inserting the title unaltered along with the new color number. Of course you're right, that's too complex. It does work though.

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:03 am

You could change all colors with a single sed statement, something like this (example for 3 colors with fake values, add your own):

sed -ri '
s/(display_unkn_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#888888888888/
s/(pinboard_fg_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#222222222222/
s/(display_pipe_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#555555555555/
' /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options

Yes I like this a lot better. It's this part right here: ([^<]*)/\1 that I will now need to spend some time learning about, after I get a good night sleep. Without me going to the manual at this late hour, is it safe to assume the -ri ' option followed by the line breaks allow for multiple arguments. I was just looking at some awk examples using the same kind of syntax. Extended regular expression.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

geo_c wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:34 am

is it safe to assume the -ri ' option followed by the line breaks allow for multiple arguments.

No, has nothing to do with that.
-i option you already know. Changes a file in place
-r allows to use simple parentheses (...) for back references instead of the normal but untidy \(....\) syntax
In the code \1 is a reference to first (...) pattern. The second pattern ([^<]*) searches for any characters following the first pattern that are not a '<' , in other words: everything between the > < characters or simply: the current color value. The stuff found with the second pattern is simply ignored (no \2 reference). Instead the new color value is added to the stuff found with the first pattern.
Hopefully your manual will explain this better.
Good night!

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:43 am

-r allows to use simple parentheses (...) for back references instead of the normal but untidy \(....\) syntax

That's handy. So really then for multiple arguments it's just a matter of the placement of the parenthesis on the initial command line and breaking off that line to a new line for each argument. Then placing the final parenthesis on it's own line with the in-place file.

geo_c

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

geo_c wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:55 am

So really then for multiple arguments it's just a matter of the placement of the parenthesis on the initial command line and breaking off that line to a new line for each argument. Then placing the final parenthesis on it's own line with the in-place file.

Well, no. Multiple commands (not options) can be separated by either a semicolon or a line break (just like bash commands). I prefer line breaks because the resulting code looks neater and is much easier to read and maintain. The parentheses in the code are part of each s/.../.../ command and must be on the same line.

[Edit] I now suspect that you didn't mean parenthesis but single quotation mark ("placing the final parenthesis on it's own line with the in-place file"). In my example last line contains quotation mark and in-place file but no parenthesis.

I prefer to put every s/.../.../ command on a separate line because
1) It's easy to duplicate a command line (in Geany Ctrl+D duplicates a line). Then the duplicated command can be modified as needed. Avoids mistakes.
2) Comments can be added at the end of a command line like in shell scripts,e.g.

s/(pinboard_fg_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#222222222222/	#sets font color of desktop icons

or a whole command can be commented out. Useful for testing an debugging:

# s/(pinboard_fg_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#222222222222/

Comments would also be possible in a one-liner but the resulting code would be almost unreadable.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:15 am

Well, no. Multiple commands (not options) can be separated by either a semicolon or a line break (just like bash commands). I prefer line breaks because the resulting code looks neater and is much easier to read and maintain. The parentheses in the code are part of each s/.../.../ command and must be on the same line.

[Edit] I now suspect that you didn't mean parenthesis but single quotation mark ("placing the final parenthesis on it's own line with the in-place file"). In my example last line contains quotation mark and in-place file but no parenthesis.

Yes that was it exactly, I meant the single quote marks. I should have went to bed and slept on it.

MochiMoppel wrote:

I prefer to put every s/.../.../ command on a separate line because
1) It's easy to duplicate a command line (in Geany Ctrl+D duplicates a line). Then the duplicated command can be modified as needed. Avoids mistakes.
2) Comments can be added at the end of a command line like in shell scripts,e.g.

s/(pinboard_fg_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#222222222222/	#sets font color of desktop icons

or a whole command can be commented out. Useful for testing an debugging:

# s/(pinboard_fg_colour">)([^<]*)/\1#222222222222/

Comments would also be possible in a one-liner but the resulting code would be almost unreadable.

Yes that's a much cleaner way of doing it. At this point my master script seems to be working smoothly with single command lines and it took a lot of concentration to debug them. Another lesson learned the hard way! In the future the script will need to be converted.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:15 am

Just for comparison, here's the final working script, before I tackle applying your suggested changes:

#!/bin/sh

#Change working directory to theme-pack location
MYDIR=$(cd `dirname $0` && pwd)
cd $MYDIR

gxmessage -c -fn 'bold 14' -bg '#06F' -fg '#FFF' -buttons "Yes\, Switch Theme & RESTART X:101,No\, not now:102" "   WARNING! Theme Switch RESTARTS X -- Continue?"
case $? in 101) dev/null;; 102) exit; esac

#SwitchT-NEO Application Themes
#urxvt
grep urxvt.foreground:# /root/.Xdefaults-NEO | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/urxvt.foreground:#.*/{}"/ /root/.Xdefaults
grep urxvt.background:# /root/.Xdefaults-NEO | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/urxvt.background:#.*/{}"/ /root/.Xdefaults
grep urxvt.underlineColor:# /root/.Xdefaults-NEO | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/urxvt.underlineColor:#.*/{}"/ /root/.Xdefaults
grep urxvt.cursorColor:# /root/.Xdefaults-NEO | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/urxvt.cursorColor:#.*/{}"/ /root/.Xdefaults
#geany
grep color_scheme= /root/.config/geany/geany-NEO.conf | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/color_scheme=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/geany/geany.conf
#galculator
grep display_bkg_color= /root/.config/galculator/galculator-NEO.conf | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/display_bkg_color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/galculator/galculator.conf
grep display_result_color= /root/.config/galculator/galculator-NEO.conf | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/display_result_color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/galculator/galculator.conf
grep display_stack_color= /root/.config/galculator/galculator-NEO.conf | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/display_stack_color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/galculator/galculator.conf
grep display_module_active_color= /root/.config/galculator/galculator-NEO.conf | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/display_module_active_color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/galculator/galculator.conf
grep display_module_inactive_color= /root/.config/galculator/galculator-NEO.conf | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/display_module_inactive_color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/galculator/galculator.conf
#hexchat
cp /root/.config/hexchat/colors-NEO.conf /root/.config/hexchat/colors.conf
#notecase
grep TextColor= /root/.notecase/notecase-NEO.ini | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/TextColor=.*/{}"/ /root/.notecase/notecase.ini
grep BackgroundColor= /root/.notecase/notecaseOne last point to clarify-NEO.ini | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/BackgroundColor=.*/{}"/ /root/.notecase/notecase.ini
#gogglesmm [SETTINGS]
grep -w shadowcolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/shadowcolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w bordercolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/bordercolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w selmenubackcolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/selmenubackcolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w selbackcolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/selbackcolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w basecolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/basecolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w hilitecolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/hilitecolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w selforecolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/selforecolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w backcolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/backcolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w selmenutextcolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/selmenutextcolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w tipforecolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/tipforecolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w tipbackcolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/tipbackcolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep -w forecolor /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/forecolor=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
#gogglesmm [colors]
grep  tray\-back\-color /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/tray-back-color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep  source\-selecttext\-color /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/source-selecttext-color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep  source\-select\-color /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/source-select-color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep  playtext\-color /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/playtext-color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep  play\-color /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/play-color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep  menu\-base\-color /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/menu-base-color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc
grep  row\-color /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings-NEO.rc | xargs -I {} sed -i "s/row-color=.*/{}"/ /root/.config/gogglesmm/settings.rc

#SwitchT-NEO Icons
cp /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/UniChrome/green/*.* /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/UniChrome/console
cp /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/UniChrome/system-script/mono/green/*.* /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/UniChrome/system-script/mono
cp /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/UniChrome/green/midi/*.* /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps

#SwitchT-NEO JWM Theme (tray optional)
#cp /root/.jwmrc-tray-UniChrome /root/.jwmrc-tray
cp /root/.jwm/themes/neo-console-colors /root/.jwm/jwm_colors
cp /root/.jwm/themes/neo-console-jwmrc /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme
cp /root/.jwm/theme-neo-console /root/.jwm/theme

#SwitchT-NEO Gtk Theme
cp /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings-NEO.ini /root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
cp /root/.gtkrc-NEO.mine /root/.gtkrc.mine
cp /root/.gtkrc-2.0-NEO /root/.gtkrc-2.0.mine
cp /root/.gtkrc-2.0-NEO /root/.gtkrc-2.0

#SwitchT-MULTI-colored ROX MIME-Icons
cp /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons-MULTI/*.* /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons
cp /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons-MULTI /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons
cp /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons-MULTI/inode_directory-NEO.png /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/inode_directory.png
cp /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons-MULTI/inode_mount-point-NEO.png /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/MIME-icons/inode_mount-point.png

#SwitchT-ROX-options
#cp /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options-NEO /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/pinboard_fg_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</pinboard_fg_colour">#ffffffffffff<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/pinboard_bg_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</pinboard_bg_colour">#d000d000d000<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/pinboard_shadow_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</pinboard_shadow_colour">#000000000000<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_exec_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_exec_colour">#1ed0e1fc1ed0<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_file_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_file_colour">#01a9b23713d8<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_dir_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_dir_colour">#079aac9133dc<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_adir_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_adir_colour">#284ccbe3284c<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_cdev_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_cdev_colour">#9e8bd4b1417f<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_pipe_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_pipe_colour">#6e08648c648c<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_sock_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{12\}\b</display_sock_colour">#ff000000ff00<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options
sed -i 's/display_door_colour">#\b[0-9,a-z,A-Z]\{6\}\b</display_door_colour">#ff00ff<'/ /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/Options

#Restart X-server
restartwm jwm

One last point to clarify: Is the simplistic level at which I script basically considered a bash/sh script as opposed to a bin/sh? I don't know what commands or circumstances indicate that one interpreter is in use over a another.

geo_c

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

geo_c wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:23 pm

One last point to clarify: Is the simplistic level at which I script basically considered a bash/sh script as opposed to a bin/sh?

Not sure if I understand what you mean, both are bash scripts. The specific interpreter is determined by the shebang:
#!/bin/bash = bash script
#!/bin/sh = bash script (assuming that /bin/sh is symlinked to /bin/bash.). Not exactly the same as above but the differences shouldn't bother you.
#!/bin/ash = script for busybox (assuming that /bin/ash is symlinked to /bin/busybox). Basic syntax almost same as bash.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:28 pm
geo_c wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:23 pm

One last point to clarify: Is the simplistic level at which I script basically considered a bash/sh script as opposed to a bin/sh?

Not sure if I understand what you mean, both are bash scripts. The specific interpreter is determined by the shebang:
#!/bin/bash = bash script
#!/bin/sh = bash script (assuming that /bin/sh is symlinked to /bin/bash.). Not exactly the same as above but the differences shouldn't bother you.
#!/bin/ash = script for busybox (assuming that /bin/ash is symlinked to /bin/busybox). Basic syntax almost same as bash.

That answers my question exactly. Thank you. My main concern was wondering if having an incorrect shebang would cause confusion.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@JASpup @rockedge @TerryH @puddlemoon @Clarity @mikewalsh @MochiMoppel @mikeslr @BarryK

I posted a pretty solid version of this switching scheme here: viewtopic.php?p=49696#p49696

Whoever has the time and energy to play around with it, I'd be honored for your thoughts. The scripting is not elegant, but it's not so convoluted either. Just a lot of repetitive commands and more config files created to achieve the end than is truly needed. Still. if anything, it allows one to set up a system with a given look in a matter of a couple minutes.

geo_c

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@geo_c are you still using default icon color schemes? I remember custom-themed file manager icons in your screenshots, but I wasn't sure if they're just for Roxfiler.

I'm looking to send these puppies to ether:

Attachments
xfe-icons-for-ether.png
xfe-icons-for-ether.png (11.02 KiB) Viewed 1762 times

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:42 pm

@geo_c are you still using default icon color schemes? I remember custom-themed file manager icons in your screenshots, but I wasn't sure if they're just for Roxfiler.

I'm looking to send these puppies to ether:

Those icons are used in ROX and on the desktop and in panels, which is actually all ROX. But if you download the tar.gz and look in the folder X11-lib you'll find three UniChrome folders, which are all copied to /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/ if installed.

X11-lib/UniChrome-cayan and /X11-lib/UniChrome-green contain 48x48 standard puppy icons, and have the folder icons. If you're using them for Xfe they'll need to be reduced to 16x16, which can be done in Mtpaint, Gimp, or Xnview.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

So those icons are available in the big theme pack posted under 'Proof of Concept' and they're also available in the 'icon theme exchange' here: viewtopic.php?p=49612#p49612

geo_c

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

geo_c wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 pm

Those icons are used in ROX and on the desktop and in panels, which is actually all ROX. But if you download the tar.gz and look in the folder X11-lib you'll find three UniChrome folders, which are all copied to /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/ if installed.

X11-lib/UniChrome-cayan and /X11-lib/UniChrome-green contain 48x48 standard puppy icons, and have the folder icons. If you're using them for Xfe they'll need to be reduced to 16x16, which can be done in Mtpaint, Gimp, or Xnview.

So those icons are available in the big theme pack posted under 'Proof of Concept' and they're also available in the 'icon theme exchange' here: viewtopic.php?p=49612#p49612

@geo_c I am not sure what you would do with them, but I've attached the 2 icons sets in 16pt.

Attachments
UniChrome-2sets-16pt.zip
(53.93 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Linux Über Alles

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:35 am
geo_c wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 pm

@geo_c I am not sure what you would do with them, but I've attached the 2 icons sets in 16pt.

Well that's going to kickstart me on working on something for Xfe, if not a complete set, at least a folder patchkit or something like that.

EDIT:
@JASpup here's the starter Xfe pack. It'll get the folders looking better. You can just copy them into one of the installed Xfe icon themes, or make a copy of one of those themes and rename it to create a future custom set. Then copy these icons into that set and choose the theme from Xfe preferences.

xfe-iconpatch.tar.gz
(45.38 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Here's the console Xfe, but the cayan icons are included in the tar.gz

And here's the cayan:

geo_c

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@geo_c how do we remedy the little buggers in the Status Bar and after Location:?

Overall, if we're not going to use all the toolbars, trimming those icons out of the set is an advantage.

I copied the same icon theme twice, 1.3M each go. Too big.

In your customization, XFE will only need the icons that match it and one neutral standard (non-Matrix-y set).

Attachments
xfe-statusbar-remnants.png
xfe-statusbar-remnants.png (20.08 KiB) Viewed 1690 times

Linux Über Alles

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:29 am

@geo_c how do we remedy the little buggers in the Status Bar and after Location:?
Overall, if we're not going to use all the toolbars, trimming those icons out of the set is an advantage.
I copied the same icon theme twice, 1.3M each go. Too big.
In your customization, XFE will only need the icons that match it and one neutral standard (non-Matrix-y set).

At one point I named an icon incorrectly, and at boot Xfe notifies that some icons can not be found, check the path. And it may be just as simple as eliminating the icons you don't want from the path. But that comes with an annoying notification.

Toolbars is the next level, not just for Xfe, but also for ROX and others. I'm mulling how to approach it. Even though we can eliminate some amount of the toolbar icons, like not running toolbars at all, there are always a few icons in the context menus and status bars, etc. So I think as the days go by, I will be looking at finding an icon theme that contains these sorts of icons in a style that can be tweaked to match. I noticed that right clicking a file in Xfe brings up some entries that include these folder icons, and they look great. So that's incentive to keep moving forward with it.

geo_c

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

The icons are:

• Clear location

• Show/hide hidden folders

• Show/Hide hidden files

• Show thumbnails

• Filter

Delete those icons and we don't have the functions.

I will probably just remove the toolbar, but if I really want them I'll turn them green.

XFE really is a mixed bag. You can get used to Roxfiler, but a normal FM function like copying files to remote directories is a lot easier in a paned manager.

Roxfiler begs a 2nd instance.

Linux Über Alles

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:13 pm

The icons are:
XFE really is a mixed bag. You can get used to Roxfiler, but a normal FM function like copying files to remote directories is a lot easier in a paned manager.
Roxfiler begs a 2nd instance.

Yes, and it's nice to be able to look at a tree now and then, though I must say I don't use the tree very often anymore. The thing I really like about Xfe is a certain 'stability.' It never resizes windows, or closes down windows with empty directories, or put it's pop-up dialogs in odd places. Also, I never seem to be able to get the multiple delete settings quite right in ROX, so that when I want a 'quiet' delete, it just does it. Xfe asks for confirmation and deletes everything selected every time. But I still think they are a great combination. Xfe has been an integral part of every puppy I've ever run. So it's probably worth building a set of custom icons for, though it will take some time to get it right. The nice thing about the UniChrome concept is that the entire set's color can be batch transformed. So as the UniChrome-MASTER icon set develops, different color sets can be created quickly.

When it comes to ROX I have a launcher in my personal SwitchT panel that opens 3 ROX windows evenly spaced across the primary monitor. I always use ROX with three or more windows open if I'm moving files around the computer. And of course that's the beauty with ROX, I start with three, but sometimes end up with 6 or 8. There's no end to the number of directories that can be viewed simultaneously, with complete drag and drop function between them.

geo_c

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

O-kay, I find I'm still a tree user, the only drawback switching between active panes isn't intuitively instantaneous (have to fiddle with it a bit).

Resizing windows is mixed. Sometimes I want the feature, but haven't mastered control. It's great to see all your icons in a window newly launched, but sometimes they're too small without auto-resize on (which you won't want to keep on for the whole session).

I still tinker with Roxfiler operations management too. 'Oh, I just copied a file over and it automatically overwrote existing. Did I want that?' XFE confirmations are a draw.

It takes a handy vision to see the aesthetic potential of XFE. Kudos for that.

Automated multiple aligned Roxfiler windows could be advantageous as well. I find though my biggest challenge a-t-m is arranging windows around Task Manager or Conky. I want to always see CPU & memory usage and the utilities don't have fine placement control.

Result is I tend to organize the entire desktop around them.

task-manager-placement-LxX-JWM.png
task-manager-placement-LxX-JWM.png (128.9 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

Notice Task Manager in the upper right corner. I can only use the browser window in the space to the left or below - a narrow or short/wide area.

Linux Über Alles

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c Here's where I'm starting out. I really like it. Reminds me of my days exploring a PDP-11/70 in high school 1976. Fossapup64-CE (fresh build from woof-CE).

Screenshot(8).png
Screenshot(8).png (41.83 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:21 am

@geo_c Here's where I'm starting out. I really like it. Reminds me of my days exploring a PDP-11/70 in high school 1976. Fossapup64-CE (fresh build from woof-CE).

That's great! You're monitor resolution is the icing on the cake. I was going to say, "Let me know how you feel about running windows without borders," but I notice the clock window does have a border. I spent a lot of time on the switch scripts, and now that installing and switching is working pretty well, I can go back to the themes and icons themselves. They're all a work in progress, especially the icons. The neo-console theme has undergone a few tweaks over time, and I could go really retro and make it look like an actual text based terminal, or keep it more of a hybrid, which is where it's at currently. It's the little stuff like 'highlighted text/background color' that takes away from the authentic feel.

One note, and you've probably figured this out: if you want to do something like change the JWM tray settings, all you have to do is change them and duplicate /root/.jwmrc-tray to /root/,jwmrc-tray-UniChrome so the next time the theme is switched it will use those settings.

So is your FossapupCE just a personal build from woof, adding and subtracting apps to your needs?

and here's an updated 'www48' icon:
https://postimg.cc/2L6vJndc
https://postimg.cc/d7YCFbmT

Last edited by geo_c on Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:21 am

@geo_c Reminds me of my days exploring a PDP-11/70 in high school 1976.

You might be interested in this: https://www.instructables.com/PiDP-11-R ... -PDP-1170/

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@geo_c It would be really cool to have a PDP-11 panel. Later on I became an US Air Force mechanic working on the MA-1 system on F-106 Delta Dart's. We loaded diagnostic programs into the weapon systems MA-1 computer with toggle switches, lights and the code lines in Octal.

the PDP-11/70 in my high school was installed in 1975 and ran the RSTS/E operating system

rsts-e.png
rsts-e.png (30.71 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

Our computer club built a MITS ALTAIR 680B, the boot strap loader also needed to be loaded by hand with toggle switches and LED's but in hexadecimal. So the operating system (TinyBASIC, assembler and Assembly code editor) can be loaded from paper tape. This is what the set up looked like (almost exactly). Imagine dragging around a TTY33 Teletype machine from school to my parent's house. For some time we had the 680B connected to the PDP-11 in a crude network of sorts. We had some very good programmers a bit older than myself...one later went on to head PIXAR and another 2 wrote software for entire school systems.

680_desk.jpg
680_desk.jpg (38.34 KiB) Viewed 1747 times

Note: I added the simple green border for the windows because I work better with the defined edges.

Screenshot(10).png
Screenshot(10).png (52.15 KiB) Viewed 1731 times

Yes this is a custom built from woof-CE but I did not remove any packages for this model.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Everyone will have to see this for themselves, but a fringe benefit of this project is the XFE utilities share the color theme.

If you want to look at images or write a document looking like @geo_c's file manager, you have an included app for it.

I think I'm missing the View (text) utility in the Xenial version, but there's still Write for editing.

I like View because your text is opened read-only, but someone probably found it redundant.

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

geo_c wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:15 am
  • 4 Dark and colorful (no gray) Gtk-2/3 themes, including my own "neo-console" theme, with 2 color-complimentary JWM themes

I just hacked them into XFCE, but I bet a lot of people would try your GTK themes available as separate .pet or .deb.

Attachments
whisker-xfce-oomox-Pandora-Arc.png
whisker-xfce-oomox-Pandora-Arc.png (69.41 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

Linux Über Alles

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:10 am
geo_c wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:15 am
  • 4 Dark and colorful (no gray) Gtk-2/3 themes, including my own "neo-console" theme, with 2 color-complimentary JWM themes

I just hacked them into XFCE, but I bet a lot of people would try your GTK themes available as separate .pet or .deb.

Any system that's able to run Gtk2/3 should be able to use those themes. I will put together a few different package formats when I eventually get all the themes tweaked, and the little niceties, like JWM thumbnails for the tray and window buttons for every combination. It'll be a month or two, but it should be a nice package in the end. The switch scripts are really bug free as far as I can tell in regards to Fossapup. I imagine a lot of other pups are laid out pretty similar. Now that I have a bootable USB to boot pup iso's from, I can eventually figure out how to adapt the themes for other pups. I'm working on Xfe icons a little at a time, using the MIME-icons that I have working in ROX. I just added Xfe theme switching in my scripts. So Xfe switches with everything else.

It really is a single click complete theme changing system. I'm not seeing any drawbacks at this point. Especially with an uninstall script, the themes can be played with, set back to original with one click, and uninstalled which simply removes all the files.

I could also offer just GTK dark themes in a pack that installs, which simply means copying them to usr/share/themes.

So actually one package could have 3 or 4 different install scripts so people could choose what elements they wanted and just use those. Like icons, or GTK, or JWM, or switching system. Or all of the above.

geo_c

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

geo_c wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:39 am

I could also offer just GTK dark themes in a pack that installs, which simply means copying them to usr/share/themes.

I think that's how GTK .deb/.pet work.

The big project drawbacks are overhead and confinement. SwitchT isn't for XFCE. Thunar is the paned file manager. Despite needing icons, it follows the system theme. My desktop looks like AeeZee-Inspired in XFCE. Themes for an umbrella package for Puppy Fossa won't show up elsewhere without someone seeing them and deliberately making them available.

I believe in your project overall, but the media space it occupies is a concern. That might be the artist's dilemma, acknowledging constraints to their vision.

Puppy community will not add unnecessary features out of resource considerations, making 'lightweight' creations superior.

I should have clarified two posts back - with your GTK themes, every window that doesn't have its own setting follows the appearance.

The benefit is Xf(e) apps following the file manager appearance with zero extra overhead.

The way I think is, "I want a uniform, dark attractive theme without a lot of overhead. How best to achieve?"

Linux Über Alles

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JASpup wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:10 am

The way I think is, "I want a uniform, dark attractive theme without a lot of overhead. How best to achieve?"

Right, I follow that line of thinking. Each Gtk theme is running around 1-3 megs, except for Hacking Parrot which for some reason is 18M. All of those Gtk themes are stock from gnome-look.org, and the only thing required to install them on a gtk2/3 compatible pup is to unzip them. So I suppose pets for GTK's are easy enough to include in the PPM, but also not really necessary. Though I had first tried out new themes by going to the PPM, I soon realized that I could go to the wider internet and find themes that ran in puppy out of the box.

The icons of course require some overhead. And my set is sitting at 15M. That size comes from two factors which can both be addressed. The first is that my application UniChrome sets are really high resolution, 260x260 to be exact. That was for the development of the set without losing quality, but of course for trays and panels, that size simply isn't necessary. So if I reduce all the icons to 48x48, 32x32, and 16x16 to run ROX, the desktop, the panels, and XFE, it would be interesting to see how small the icon package gets. But the second factor is that there is some duplication in the library which can also be eliminated. And rather than switch icons in and out of the 'pixmaps' folder, which I have labeled 'console,' it would probably make more sense to copy in links as opposed to actual icons.

geo_c

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c :-

Y'know, I take my hat off to you! Although I'm not a fan of themed icons/GTK themes - my own approach is a very 'eclectic' one, especially where the icons are concerned! - it's obvious to anybody who can see that you enjoy your design work. And that's something I can relate to, since graphic design has been a long-standing hobby of mine for more than 40 years.

I've always been able to visualize stuff in my head, and apply that more-or-less direct to 'canvas'. (Off-topic, I know, but it's the same kind of reason why I passed my driving test the first time round, and had less trouble than most with the 'reversing around the corner' thing.....which SO many fail on. I could 'picture' in my head exactly where the back wheel was in relation to the kerb, almost as though the whole back half of the car was transparent, and I could look over my shoulder and just "see it"...)

Abilities like that enable what I call a 'lateral' approach to design, and foster some rather unique, OOTB 'solutions'..!

More power to you, mate. Nice one! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Eye Candy”