Bookworm Build script

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

soniabu

Re: Bookworm Build script (testing)

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:44 pm

By booting without changes for once, press 'e' at the grub display and remove the changes=... part.
Then the changes.dat is not in use (not mounted) and you can resize it (hopefully that still works ok, didn't test that for some time).
Note that creating such new save setup means that you're starting "fresh" so you'll have to setup changes from the start.

Fred, but if at the beginning of the boot I write "e " and then I remove everything that follows changers = ... part and after pf10 I modify the changes.dat expanding it I find myself with what you wrote: 'Note that creating such new save setup means that you're starting 'fresh' so you'll have to setup changes from the start. ' or am I sure that I don't have to start over?

the mnt / live / memory / images / change.dat I don't see it in the live folder.

Thanks always Fred for the assistance you offer me
P.S. Fred, I'll give you a curiosity that I hope you don't interpret as an indiscretion: what puppy system do you use?
You don't think it's possible that I can use it too; so it would be easier to solve the problems.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

Fred, but if at the beginning of the boot I write "e " and then I remove everything that follows changers = ... part and after pf10 I modify the changes.dat expanding it I find myself with what you wrote: 'Note that creating such new save setup means that you're starting 'fresh' so you'll have to setup changes from the start. ' or am I sure that I don't have to start over?

As far as I understand you (not sure) no, by resizing the changes.dat your changes should stay the same as it was.
Only if you'd decide to change to another setup (save-to-folder) then it's starting "fresh".
EDIT: But there's a way to copy changes included in changes.dat to a new save-to-folder setup, if you want I can try to explain.

the mnt / live / memory / images / change.dat I don't see it in the live folder.

Probably for you it's /mnt/live/memory/changes/ (if booted with changes enabled).
EDIT: So, what does 'How Big' say on that directory ?

Fred, I'll give you a curiosity that I hope you don't interpret as an indiscretion: what puppy system do you use?

I use a few Debiandogs: Buster, Bullseye, Bookworm (and sometimes regular Puppy, e.g. Fossapup)
As I said earlier, the reason I pointed out to you about Bookworm was because of your problems with WIFI, as it has very new kernel and firmware suitable for modern computers.
You may want to ask in the forum if there are any modern 'real' Puppies (DebianDog is different from puppy) that has support for your hardware.
Or, as I said also, you may want to go for a "big boy" Linux OS, e.g. Ubuntu, Zorin, there are lots of them to find but most aren't really supporting a 'frugal' install, so a 'full' install on harddisk is the way to go then.
Or Winblow$ :twisted: :D

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

" As far as I understand you (not sure) no, by resizing the changes.dat your changes should stay the same as it was.
... if you want I can try to explain."

No, no, better not. at the moment.
Okay, I'll go ahead with Bookworm (even if it's a bit ugly to look at) and try resizing with "e" command.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

fredx181 wrote:

Probably for you it's /mnt/live/memory/changes/ (if booted with changes enabled).

right-click on /mnt/live/memory/changes > 'How Big' So ... ?

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:38 pm
fredx181 wrote:

right-click on /mnt/live/memory/changes > 'How Big' So ... ?

I have not &mnt&live&memory&changes when I come back I ll made a pic.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Really it should be there, go with pcmanfm to /mnt/live/memory/
And right-click on "changes" folder and select "How Big?"

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Really it should be there, go with pcmanfm to /mnt/live/memory/
And right-click on "changes" folder and select "How Big?"

as usual you're right Fred, I'm the one sleeping ... sorry :oops: .
here is the picture with the dimensions.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Ok, Sonia, indeed as you thought, the changes you made are very small, only 53M, so your save file +/- 4000M has lots of space left over, so I'd say no need for resizing at this point.
Can't explain why you got that message and don't really understand what exactly you did, sorry.

sonia wrote:

a message appeared urgently advising me to expand the savefile

EDIT: Above about the save size should be correct assuming though that you didn't boot with option EXIT: in grub.cfg (save at shutdown, about it in one of my earlier post)
If booted with EXIT: then the save storage can be found in /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit/

ljlj

Post by ljlj »

sonia
quick remaster
save your changes
in iso file
boot with porteus boot fresh
this iso you can use
also on another computer

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:28 pm

Ok, Sonia, indeed as you thought, the changes you made are very small, only 53M, so your save file +/- 4000M has lots of space left over, so I'd say no need for resizing at this point.
Can't explain why you got that message and don't really understand what exactly you did, sorry.

sonia wrote:

EDIT: Above about the save size should be correct assuming though that you didn't boot with option EXIT: in grub.cfg (save at shutdown, about it in one of my earlier post)
If booted with EXIT: then the save storage can be found in /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit/

Maybe I messed something up without knowing what I was doing. Anyway, if I get it again I'll take some shots. For the moment I'm glad that I won't have to expand the savefile. So good. Good night Fred, sonia

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Browsing through the Bookworm functions I launched the sound equalizer and after closing it - without making any changes -
the audio is mute.
Unlike the anomalies that occurred at the test sites listed above where even the video was not seen, now only the sound is missing.
here screenshot.
Certainly after repeating the 'sound card selection' procedure and restoring '.asoundrc' in the root everything is back to working correctly.

before start equalize enable/diseble funcion:

after start equalizer function

and where did '.asoundrc' go?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

@sonia: Your regular audio output is on card 1, device 0. This is because card 0 is your HDMI output.

So when you switch to the equalizer, you need to change line 19 to "plughw:1,0".

Here is a simpler .asoundrc for your purposes:

Code: Select all

### these three lines enable the regular sound card ###  

defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 1

### these two lines enable the equalizer for card 1 ###

#pcm.!default pcm.equal
#ctl.!default ctl.equal

pcm.equal {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm {
      type equal
      slave.pcm "plughw:1,0"
    }
  }
}

ctl.equal {
 type equal
}

To enable the equalizer, comment out lines 3-5 and UNcomment lines 9-10.

To restore your audio, just reverse the commenting.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

To add to Bill's post above:
@sonia if you are using the .asoundrc that Bill provided, then the "Alsa Equalizer Enable/Disable" option and also "Alsa Equalizer" from Menu does not work anymore.
So then I'd suggest to change the alsaequal.desktop launcher in /usr/share/applications to (Exec=... change):

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Alsa Equalizer
Comment=Graphical audio mixer
Exec=/usr/bin/alsamixergui -D equal
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/alsamixergui.xpm
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Application;AudioVideo;

Then running "Alsa Equalizer" from Menu should work if you followed the instructions above from Bill.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

thanks Fred & Bill for the indication of how to fix equalizer.
A question for both: as you will see from the first image below in '.asoundrc' I only have the three lines taken from the select card the first time Fred explained it to me; now if I copy all your example to '.asoundrc' is it okay? I can do it?
Second.
Especially another inconvenience. My Lenovo in Windows has the characteristic of being able to be rotated 360 degrees - turning on the hinges - making it look like a tablet with which to write with a pen or electronic keybord (compare image below) .
Here in Bookworm this function does not work, that is, with the touchpad I always touch the screen in reverse and rotate the PC is useless as it keeps the view from the notebook.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Open a terminal and type: xrandr -o inverted

Then flip the laptop over. Does it work properly now?

To restore it, type: xrandr -o normal

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:05 pm

Open a terminal and type: xrandr -o inverted

Then flip the laptop over. Does it work properly now?

To restore it, type: xrandr -o normal

no, it doesn't work. It reverses but crashes:
1) the touchpad does not work and neither does the keyboard;
2) I have to turn off the laptop, as it is impossible to give the reverse command -o normal to the terminal.

a) I have another problem with dogradio that despite the address of the streaming radio is correct - so much so that if you enter as url in firefox you can hear the radio - once entered in dogradio it gives the error.

(2 click enlarge img)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

a) I have another problem with dogradio that despite the address of the streaming radio is correct ... ...

Yes, not every url works, it's because "mplayer" (the underlying program of dogradio) cannot handle it for some reason (perhaps because of https ... not sure)
Some times you need to search for an alternative url, found here (Public Urls:): https://www.alrjazz.com/2019/06/blog-post.html
And this one seems to work OK : http://play14.tikast.com:8638/

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:36 am
soniabu wrote:

a) I have another problem with dogradio that despite the address of the streaming radio is correct ... ...

Yes, not every url works, it's because "mplayer" (the underlying program of dogradio) cannot handle it for some reason (perhaps because of https ... not sure)
Some times you need to search for an alternative url, found here (Public Urls:): https://www.alrjazz.com/2019/06/blog-post.html
And this one seems to work OK : http://play14.tikast.com:8638/

thanks Fred, I bothered you for nothing: I looked for another address and everything works perfectly.
In my quest to fix things then I discovered the dogradio "update function" which gives me a huge amount of radio stations.
Hurray!

ADDENDUM.
amazing at the radio station with https: // ... just remove the 's' and the url so modified on dogradio works fine.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:28 pm

sonia wrote:

Fred, I still got the warning to expand the save-file.
However, I have not downloaded anything abundant and I only perform updates and upgrades from time to time.
Since the boot I execute it with the EXIT function I join you the images of the How big of the save file.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hello Sonia,

Since the boot I execute it with the EXIT function I join you the images of the How big of the save file.

Yes, when booting with EXIT, the save storage is in /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit/ .
And indeed your save is getting full (2.6G).
Using a save file can be OK but if you add a lot, like installing packages, upgrading, it's getting much larger in size.
I guess your sda1 partition (where your savefile is located) is FAT32 formatted, right ? (check with Gparted)
Best is, as I said earlier, to use savefolder instead of savefile, then need to just create a second partition with Gparted (first shrink sda1 to leave space for second partition) on your USB, ext4 formatted (supports savefolder and all the space on that partition is available then).

If you want I can give guidance (it's rather easy to do IMO), also to copy the changes you have already (in the save-file) to that new save-folder.

Also note that FAT32 does not support files larger than 4GB, so resizing savefile isn't an option if on FAT32.
EDIT: See also discussion here about the same issue in fact: viewtopic.php?t=6554

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fred this is the situation sda:
for the save folder I have space from 24 GB okay? or do I make it a little bit smaller (Will 10gb be okay? what do you think about it?).
To create another partition for savefolder I have to go to another linux PC (Bionicpup32 sister because I can't create it at the same time with operational Bookworm.) and create the ext4; then - when you have some time - can you suggest the method to transfer everything from the savefile to the savefolder?
I await your comment before proceeding.
tx sonia

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

for the save folder I have space from 24 GB okay? or do I make it a little bit smaller (Will 10gb be okay? what do you think about it?).
To create another partition for savefolder I have to go to another linux PC (Bionicpup32 sister because I can't create it at the same time with operational Bookworm.) and create the ext4

Yes good thinking :thumbup:,indeed first step, creating 2nd partition needs to be done from another OS (btw, doesn't need to be on another computer, in theory can also be done from Fossadog USB or Puppy or ...., from same computer). best IMO to make the second partition as big a possible (lets' say 23GB, then *some* space still left on sda1).
I'll post tomorrow then about how to copy your savefile content to the save folder (that can be done from booted Bookworm) (and about small change in grub.cfg for to make savefolder work).

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

fredx181 wrote:

... ... about how to copy your savefile content to the save folder (that can be done from booted Bookworm) (and about small change in grub.cfg for to make savefolder work).

Hi Sonia.

From running Bookworm: (with save file)

If you do have a ext4 (or ext3) second partition on the USB, open it with filemanager and check if the path is /mnt/sda2, probably it is, but if not, you need to change /mnt/sda2 in the commands below to what it actually is.

1) Create a subfolder on sda2 named let's say "B_worm" with empty changes folder inside (mkdir ... command below does that)
(change name "B_worm" if you want but then needs to be changed in commands further below too, must match)
And copy your changes (assuming you booted with option EXIT, as you said)
From terminal in booted Bookworm (easiest is to copy > paste):

mkdir -p /mnt/sda2/B_worm/changes
cp -a /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit/* /mnt/sda2/B_worm/changes

(the copying may take some time)
Note that the "changes-exit" folder contains "already saved" changes, so not the changes you possibly just made during this session.

2) edit grub.cfg, modify the changes=... part, make it changes=EXIT:/mnt/sda2/B_worm/ .
(MUST NOT end with changes (i.e. /mnt/sda2/B_worm/changes, as you may think))

3) Reboot, and it should use save-folder on sda2 then.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

great Fred, I'll try it all this afternoon / evening;
thanks as always for your constant help.
your

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 am
fredx181 wrote:

... ... about how to copy your savefile content to the save folder (that can be done from booted Bookworm) (and about small change in grub.cfg for to make savefolder work).

Hi Sonia.

From running Bookworm: (with save file)

If you do have a ext4 (or ext3) second partition on the USB, open it with filemanager and check if the path is /mnt/sda2, probably it is, but if not, you need to change /mnt/sda2 in the commands below to what it actually is.

1) Create a subfolder on sda2 named let's say "B_worm" with empty changes folder inside (mkdir ... command below does that)
(change name "B_worm" if you want but then needs to be changed in commands further below too, must match)
And copy your changes (assuming you booted with option EXIT, as you said)
From terminal in booted Bookworm (easiest is to copy > paste):

mkdir -p /mnt/sda2/B_worm/changes
cp -a /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit/* /mnt/sda2/B_worm/changes

(the copying may take some time)
Note that the "changes-exit" folder contains "already saved" changes, so not the changes you possibly just made during this session.

2) edit grub.cfg, modify the changes=... part, make it changes=EXIT:/mnt/sda2/B_worm/ .
(MUST NOT end with changes (i.e. /mnt/sda2/B_worm/changes, as you may think))

3) Reboot, and it should use save-folder on sda2 then.

Here is Fred, I copied everything to sda2.
1) Fred, I have a doubt: the grubcfg that I have to modify but I choose the one found in sda2 or the one in sda1 that I modified with the EXIT option?
2) I have now edited grub.cfg like this but haven't saved it yet - is that correct (without live)?
3) then before saving it I invert the lines from 9-13 with 14-17 so that the save folder will appear first.
Imagewebsite to upload photos

Last edited by soniabu on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote:

2) I have now edited grub.cfg like this but haven't saved it yet - is that correct (without live)?

Yes, what you highlighted in the screenshot should be correct (without live, yes, as is no live folder there, saves directly in B_worm)

EDIT:

1) Fred, I have a doubt: the grupcfg that I have to modify but I choose the one found in sda2 or the one in sda1 that I modified with the EXIT option?

Should be the one in sda1, how can there be one in sda2 btw ? You just created that partition, didn't you ? So I guess it was empty.
And name should be just grub.cfg on sda1 , not NEWgrub.cfg (as in your screenshot).

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:17 pm
soniabu wrote:

Yes, what you highlighted in the screenshot should be correct (without live, yes, as is no live folder there, saves directly in B_worm)

Fred, I have a doubt: the grupcfg that I have to modify but I choose the one found in sda2 or the one in sda1 that I modified with the EXIT option?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

soniabu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:27 pm
soniabu wrote:

Fred, I have a doubt: the grupcfg that I have to modify but I choose the one found in sda2 or the one in sda1 that I modified with the EXIT option?

See my edit in previous post, strange that you have a grub.cfg in sda2, how come ?
edit: perhaps you copied everything from sda1 to sda2 ? If so, there was no need for that, just the changes-exit copy to B_worm with the command from terminal I gave you earlier.

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:30 pm
soniabu wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:27 pm

See my edit in previous post, strange that you have a grub.cfg in sda2, how come ?

EDIT:
Fred I used the terminal command you suggested in the instruction post; maybe I did something wrong if it is the case can I do it all again?
however I realized that I have to modify the grub.cfg of sda1 and then restart everything.

Last edited by soniabu on Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Ah, I see now, probably "image" in /mnt/live/memory/images/changes-exit/upperdir/live/ is a symlink to your sda1 partition, nothing to worry about, edit the grub.cfg on sda1 and should be OK.
Taking a break now "too darn hot here'" :roll: :D

Return to “DebianDogs”