Bookworm Build script

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

fredx181

Re: Bookworm Build script (testing)

Post by fredx181 »

Payoon wrote:

Still have to check how to modify and adapt my legacy sfs files and squashfs files to use

Rather easy I'd say by using "edit-sfs" just move every directory in the sfs e.g. /bin /lib /sbin ... to /usr (those that appear as symlink in the system root "/"), (that's why they call the new system "usr-merged', everything is in /usr ).

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Do you feel like you have the usb-merged problem solved now?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:49 pm

Do you feel like you have the usb-merged problem solved now?

I think so, yes, but not absolutely sure, the build script works OK, some packages needed upgrading to match with usr-merged, e.g. quick-remaster, upgrade-kernel, AFAIK that should be it.
Problem may be that some .squashfs modules shared on the web (e.g. firmware) or self-made possibly won't work anymore.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

From time to time I test the mklive-bookworm script and noticed that it failed because of one package depending on python2 ("obkey" in this case).
Nowadays the Debian bookworm repo doesn't contain python v2 packages anymore.

Fixed with workaround by adding python2 + dependencies to the custum 'dog' bookworm repo, so the script should work OK again now.
This will give minimal python2 support, note that it's VERY minimal because all additional python2 module packages are also removed from the Debian bookworm repo.

spotted

Post by spotted »

Hi fredx
After doing a save folder backup, wifi does not work anymore. (using phone as modem) After making a new connection using nmtui, when one goes to activate the new connection the new connection does not show up. Peasywifi says wlano is not active. (it happens with every backup I have tried in the ARM world also) I cannot come up with the right combo to put into duck-duck to find myself an answer.
It's not a big problem, usb cable connect works without any input, but the battery gets fulled up.
Any idea what causes this?

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

spotted wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:36 am

Peasywifi says wlano is not active.

Click the I/F button. Is wlan0 still the right name of your adapter?

spotted

Post by spotted »

Hi rcrsn51
your possible WIFI interfaces wlan0
My dongle is a ralink rt2870/3070, taken from hardinfo

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Please explain how you make your save folder backup. I don't understand how making a backup changes your current setup.

Are you confusing "wlan0" with "wlano"?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Also try to give more info, what you use exactly, e.g. are you running a very recent build ? In that case the "usr-merged" system (where /lib is symlink to /usr/lib) see previous posts) can be the cause. Or e.g. do you have a firmware .squashfs loaded at boot.
(firmware folder is in /usr/lib on a usr-merged system)

spotted

Post by spotted »

Hi again
"After doing a save folder backup"
Change this to 'after doing a restore from a save folder backup'
I made 'bookworm build script' on a flash drive then made a backup of my settings. Then put bookworm on my SSD. Then used 'save folder backup' to transfer my settings to the SSD.
No squashfile loaded, dongle works fine on a new fresh install. Only help I can give is 'interface wlan0 is not active' from peasywifi.
It happens in big boy Debians also, 'backuppc' and 'luckybackup'.
Something somewhere gets hosed in the backup process.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

spotted wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:14 pm

Only help I can give is 'interface wlan0 is not active' from peasywifi.

Here are the troubleshooting steps for wifi:

Run: iwconfig
Is wlan0 listed?
Run: ifconfig wlan0 up
Is there an error message?
Run: iwlist wlan0 scan
Does the adapter scan?
If not, check for missing firmware: dmesg | grep -i firmware

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

spotted wrote:

Only help I can give is 'interface wlan0 is not active' from peasywifi.

Often that's caused by firmware not found, btw you didn't answer my question above (is it on usr-merged system? if so, your save restore (if from older, not usr-merged) cannot work properly).
Btw, it's never a wise thing anyway to use old save storage (from old build) with a newer build.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

This info (for Sid) applies for Bookworm too: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 560#p80560
(fixes a possible problem to be able to login as user 'puppy' and also when running run-as-user <some-application> and when running e.g. google-chrome or e.g. vlc from menu (which depends on 'run-as-user' as it cannot run as root).

EDIT: Also found when testing mklive-bookworm just now that it got stuck on mtpaint dependency libtiff5 (not found), fixed by removing obsolete mtpaint package from custom repository, so now will install the latest Debian mtpaint version.

dcung

Post by dcung »

Hi Fred,
I was just testing my unattended script.
viewtopic.php?p=81949#p81949

I did test build for ddog (32 & 64 bit).
Must be some rolling updates (?) happening, since I made ddog build 10 days ago and it was okay.
Probably will resolve itself when rolling finished, but I thought I report it just in case.

ddog-64-error.png
ddog-64-error.png (142.88 KiB) Viewed 20944 times
ddog-32-error.png
ddog-32-error.png (143.89 KiB) Viewed 20944 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:

Must be some rolling updates (?) happening, since I made ddog build 10 days ago and it was okay.
Probably will resolve itself when rolling finished, but I thought I report it just in case.

Thanks. Well the problem is that some packages from the custom repo have dependencies that don't exist anymore in the official Debian repos (very recently were removed giblib1 and libroar-compat2 from Bookworm).
The workaround I do every time when that happens is to add these packages to my custom repo, just now I did again, added giblib1 and libroar-compat2.

I tested making a Bookworm build (ddog) now and it seems fixed.

A better solution (rather than the workaround) in the future would be to update some packages in the custom repo so that they work with newest packages from Debian (e.g. libs), but don't know if I'll find the time and energy for it to do.
The biggest problem may be the change from gtk2 to gtk3, the basic gtk2 libs are still in the Debian Bookworm repos, but many packages depending on gtk2 are already removed, and more to be removed in the future, I'm afraid.

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:53 pm

.. and more to be removed in the future, I'm afraid.

ddog 64 bit - fixed.

ddog 32 bit - came up with another missing dependency.

1_scrot.png
1_scrot.png (40.13 KiB) Viewed 20895 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:

ddog 64 bit - fixed.

ddog 32 bit - came up with another missing dependency.

That's because of old mpv version v0.27 wants old(er) dependencies.

Fixed now by removing old mpv package (v0.27) from the custom Bookworm and Sid repos, so for a new build with mklive-bookworm (also with mklive-sid, btw), the (newer) official Debian mpv version (0.35) will be installed (dependencies satisfied).

On an existing build that still has mpv v0.27 installed and you want newest version, first run from terminal apt update, then apt-cache policy mpv, check newest version and do apt install mpv=<newest_version> e.g. apt install mpv=0.35.1-1, see pic below.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (239.96 KiB) Viewed 20864 times
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:53 pm
dcung wrote:

Thanks. Well the problem is that some packages from the custom repo have dependencies that don't exist anymore in the official Debian repos (very recently were removed giblib1 and libroar-compat2 from Bookworm).
The workaround I do every time when that happens is to add these packages to my custom repo, just now I did again, added giblib1 and libroar-compat2.

A better solution (rather than the workaround) in the future would be to update some packages in the custom repo so that they work with newest packages from Debian (e.g. libs), but don't know if I'll find the time and energy for it to do.
The biggest problem may be the change from gtk2 to gtk3, the basic gtk2 libs are still in the Debian Bookworm repos, but many packages depending on gtk2 are already removed, and more to be removed in the future, I'm afraid.

Can you just let most/some/all of them default to the packages in the main Debian repo or will that break too much?

Or is it the problem wiak was talking about having to build stuff by hand as opposed to using a complete setup like xfce?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:

Can you just let most/some/all of them default to the packages in the main Debian repo or will that break too much?

I think one of the charms of this is the addition of the custom repo, with the contributions from e.g. rcrsn51, myself and others.
Yes, some packages may need to be removed (and replaced by main Debian packages), specially in the future when probably there's definitely no gtk2, python2 support anymore (also I like to keep, as it is now, the choice for systemd or not, the Debian default is with systemd).

But when Bookworm becomes the stable branch (probably in july/august) there won't be *surprises* anymore such as packages suddenly removed from the main Bookworm repo.

exton

Post by exton »

NEWS ABOUT PuppEX Bookworm64 Build 230225 with Tint2 as DE (or Window Manager)

NEWS 230309
I've made a new version of PuppEX Bookworm64 with Tint2. Now you will have sound also when logged in as root.
READ MORE: https://puppex.exton.net

My first Bookworm64 build with Tint2 is from 220807.

My new Puppy Linux derivative is also built using the Bookworm Build Script. It is compatible with Debian Bookworm - upcoming Debian 12. (Debian 12 soft freeze will happen very soon).

Build 230225 is for UEFI and non-UEFI computers. Also this version runs very well in full screen in VirtualBox. Watch this screenshot; https://puppex.exton.net/puppex-bookwor ... 230224.jpg

The system runs very well in Qemu in Linux too. Watch this screenshot: https://puppex.exton.net/puppex-bookwor ... 230224.jpg

ABOUT Tint2
"Tint2 is a panel / taskbar for Linux. Its developers describe it as simple, light, and that does not get in your way. It is highly customizable, and items such as clock, notification area, application list, and battery monitor can be added or removed".

Last edited by exton on Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Download ISO file and booted successfully without delays in a VM. Command to boot the @exton Bookworm v230225 ISO file via a QEMU VM

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2G -vga cirrus -smp 2 -device AC97 -net nic -net user -rtc base=localtime -name "Puppex Bookworm v230225 by Exton" -cdrom puppex-bookworm64-uefi-tint2-vbox-657mb-230225.iso

Thanks as this demonstrates that Fredx181 build systems works remarkably well.

A very polished distro for consumption

Attachments
PuPPex BookWorm test in QEMU.jpg
PuPPex BookWorm test in QEMU.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 21145 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

During boot, I got a message referencing "... /usr/doc/porteus" - This does not exist.

exton

Post by exton »

Well, all docs are removed before the ISO is created. My choice.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

exton wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:33 pm

Well, all docs are removed before the ISO is created. My choice.

Even if the choice would be to keep man and docs, it wouldn't be included " /usr/doc/porteus"
Small change I made now. Removed the message from init script in the initrd1.xz, so with a new build it doesn't appear (FYI, AFAIK the message is only for when booting failed, data not found, wrong from=... ).

exton

Post by exton »

NEWS ABOUT PuppEX Bookworm64 Build 230303 with MATE as DE

NEWS 230305 ABOUT SOUND
In PuppEX Bookworm64 with the MATE DE Build 230305 you will have sound also when logged in as root. That is essential since you normally run all Puppy/PuppEX versions as root. So I simply had to replace Build 230303 with Build 230305.I found the solution to the sound issue here.
First I installed PulseAudio and Pavucontrol with apt install pulseaudio pavucontrol. Then I added root to the Audio Group with usermod -a -G audio root.

My first Build with the MATE DE is from 220714.

My new Puppy Linux derivative is also built using the Bookworm Build Script. It is compatible with Debian Bookworm - upcoming Debian 12. (Debian 12 soft freeze will happen very soon).

Build 230305 is for UEFI and non-UEFI computers. Also this version runs very well in full screen in VirtualBox. Watch this screenshot; https://puppex.exton.net/puppex-bookwor ... 230303.jpg

This PuppEX version uses kernel 6.1.0-5-amd64.

ABOUT the MATE DE
"The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems. MATE is under active development to add support for new technologies while preserving a traditional desktop experience".

Last edited by exton on Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exton

PuppEX Bookworm64 with the MATE DE Build 230305

Post by exton »

NOTE ABOUT SOUND: In PuppEX Bookworm64 with the MATE DE Build 230305 you will have sound also when logged in as root. That is essential since you normally run all Puppy/PuppEX versions as root. To fix the sound issue I followed the advice here...
First I installed PulseAudio and Pavucontrol with apt install pulseaudio pavucontrol. Then I added root to the Audio Group with usermod -a -G audio root.

So I simply had to replace Build 230303 with Build 230305.

READ MORE...

dancytron

Re: PuppEX Bookworm64 with the MATE DE Build 230305

Post by dancytron »

exton wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:29 pm

NOTE ABOUT SOUND: In PuppEX Bookworm64 with the MATE DE Build 230305 you will have sound also when logged in as root. That is essential since you normally run all Puppy/PuppEX versions as root. To fix the sound issue I followed the advice here...

So I simply had to replace Build 230303 with Build 230305.

READ MORE...

Another approach if you want to see it (pulse audio set up as system user).

viewtopic.php?p=52790#p52790

exton

Post by exton »

Ok, but this PuppEX version doesn't use systemd.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Before you invest too much into proper integration of PulseAudio: consider switching from PulseAudio to PipeWire. It's the default in Debian 12. Some applications depend on it (for example, for screen capture) and it can't co-exist with PulseAudio. Also, it makes Bluetooth audio more reliable for many users.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

For anyone who wants to try pipewire on a stock systemd debian dog, here are the instructions from the Debian website for Bullseye and Bookworm (at the very bottom).
https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire

If/when I get it to work, I'll post it.

Return to “DebianDogs”