VoidPup32 and VoidPup64 Discussion

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

OscarTalks

Re: VoidPup32 and VoidPup64 Discussion

Post by OscarTalks »

I notice that displaying contents of the built-in void packages is easy
vpm filelist glibc-devel and vpm filelist glibc
Reveals that the DEV symlinks (ending in .so with no number) are in fact in the main glibc package and not glibc-devel
Also, the glibc package wants to install all its shared libraries in /usr/lib (not /lib)
But in VoidPup it looks like the shared libraries have been moved from /usr/lib to /lib ??
I think that this process of moving the shared libraries is causing the symlinks to get lost.

So the fix is maybe to manually re-create all the ones that need to be there
Otherwise investigate if it would be better to have the build process put everything in /usr/lib in the first place ?

peebee

Post by peebee »

Hi @OscarTalks

Could you try VoidPup32 +10b & devx from:
https://smokey01.com/peebee/downloads/test/

Thanks
PeeBee

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello peebee

The test of version +10b with devx loaded seems a complete success.
Test compiling dosbox and clucene (all of which was failing originally) all now completes without any errors.

I went on to try a few other things and have compiled latest version of guvcview-2.0.8 which also involved compiling the dependencies SDL2 (as opposed to the included SDL 1.2) and portaudio. This is a nice illustration of the advantages of compiling from source in Puppy because by disabling and avoiding unneeded stuff I came up with a package which is a little over 3 Megs installed size. I have made this into a .xbps package and will upload it in case anyone wants to test it (download and install locally with inst-xbps /path/to/guvcview-2.0.8_1.i686.xbps)
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/guvcview ... .i686.xbps
This compares with using VPM for guvcview, which wants to install 45 Megs of data in total and then still does not start because libdb-5.3 is missing unless you have the devx loaded (i wonder if that libdb package should be moved into the main puppy .sfs?)

peebee

Post by peebee »

Hi @TDRR

Could you try VoidPup64 +10b & devx from:

Thanks
PeeBee

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I have now set up a VoidPup64 frugal as well as my VoidPup32
Testing compiling in 64bit +10b

Here is my x86_64 build of guvcview-2.0.8 which all went OK
There is some chatter in terminal if you run it that way, but it is the same with the official vpm version as well
It displays my webcam and captures still pictures or video with audio, seems to be working fine.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/guvcview ... 86_64.xbps

There is a thread below in which someone reported being unable to compile udunits
I downloaded the source package udunits-2.2.28 and it compiles without any problems in +10b

Hopefully we will hear from TDRR, but there was a mention of "k8vavoom" as the package name. I found a github master source code checkout of that and I can report that the build process completes to 100% without any errors. It seems to be a game thing, a slightly larger package so takes a few minutes to compile, but it didn't complain about any of the steps. Running it may require some extra resources (game data?), but I have no experience of such things. I think that the compiling aspect of it is all working as it should though now.

EDIT:- Well I got it running as well. I had to figure out what an "iwad" is and then find one. The k8vavoom program was also not happy with the installed version of openal-soft (OpenAL) which I think is a Slackware .pet package, so I grabbed the latest source code (openal-soft-1.22.2) and compiled and installed that over the top. It then starts and runs.

Code: Select all

[ 98%] Building CXX object source/CMakeFiles/k8vavoom.dir/render/hwgl/gl_tex.cpp.o
[ 98%] Linking CXX executable ../k8vavoom.bin
[ 98%] Built target k8vavoom
[ 98%] Generating basepak.pk3
[ 98%] Built target common_basepak
[ 98%] Built target doom_basepak
[ 98%] Built target doom1_basepak
[ 98%] Built target doom2_basepak
[ 98%] Built target heretic_basepak
[ 98%] Built target hexen_basepak
[ 98%] Built target nerve_basepak
[ 98%] Built target plutonia_basepak
[ 98%] Built target tnt_basepak
[ 99%] Generating basepak.pk3
[ 99%] Built target strife_basepak
[ 99%] Generating basepak.pk3
[ 99%] Built target chex_basepak
[100%] Generating basepak.pk3
[100%] Built target hacx_basepak
[100%] Built target gore_modpak
[100%] Built target bdw_modpak
[100%] Built target skeehud_modpak
#
Attachments
k8vavoom.jpg
k8vavoom.jpg (113.9 KiB) Viewed 8714 times
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Does anyone want to try a VLC which I compiled in +11?
Version is 3.0.18 with an "installed" size of 47MB including some Void run-time libs (such as Qt5) which I sifted out. Built to run-as-root, no pulseaudio or jack. Packaged as .xbps with the vlc executable under /usr/local to avoid the problems of fixmenusd hacking the installation. The rest is all under /usr as normal. It is mostly just built against the libs that are there already. I did add libmatroska for mkv but I think the ffmpeg libs handle that as a backup anyway. I also built lua as a shared lib because it refused to link to the standard static one.

You can use VPM to install the void build, but with all the dependencies the size is more like 175MB, it complains that it can't connect to pulseaudio daemon ( I think you can fix that by deleting the plugin and updating the plugin cache though), plus it gets forced to run-as-spot which I didn't want.

EDIT:- Now upgraded to 3.0.18 from the previous 3.0.17.4

Uploaded for testing, let me know if any problems arise, otherwise I will leave them up for a while in case they are useful.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc-3.0.18_1.x86_64.xbps (64bit)
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc-3.0.18_1.i686.xbps (32bit)

Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Tested and reported here your VLC on v10c. No issue as your SFS installation launches VLC.

My only concerns:

• I cannot find it in VoidPUP64's desktop Menu. Under which category should I be seeing the menu item?

• Is the uninstaller on the system?

Thanks for your productions and compiled products.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Clarity wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:00 am

My only concerns:

• I cannot find it in VoidPUP64's desktop Menu. Under which category should I be seeing the menu item?

• Is the uninstaller on the system?

VLC should appear in the Multimedia section of the Menu but the name is set to just "VLC"
This applies to JWM/ROX desktop
Edit /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop and run fixmenus and jwm -reload if you want to change anything

There is no uninstaller as it is loaded as an SFS package
If you wish to remove it, use Menu > Setup > SFS-Load and follow the steps to unload it
You could then also delete the config data in /root/.config/vlc and /root/.local/share/vlc
Thanks for testing and reporting

Attachments
vlc-menu-void.jpg
vlc-menu-void.jpg (60.41 KiB) Viewed 8604 times
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@peebee Can you share the modified woof-CE tree used to build 22.02+10c, please? I want to see if I can get it merged into upstream woof-CE cleanly and start testing woof-CE changes that may affect VoidPup before they're merged. I work really hard to minimize my changes and make them backward compatible all the way back to bionic64, but I miss sometimes, and VoidPup always surprises me with a corner case I haven't considered.

peebee

Post by peebee »

dimkr wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:00 pm

@peebee Can you share the modified woof-CE tree used to build 22.02+10c, please?

Sent you a link via PM.
Updated version of the info I sent @01micko some time ago.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Thanks @peebee! Can you also upload the .pet packages to a .pet repo, please? I have everything merged into a woof-CE branch, but 1download doesn't have a repo to download these .pet packages from.

peebee

Post by peebee »

dimkr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:25 am

Thanks @peebee! Can you also upload the .pet packages to a .pet repo, please? I have everything merged into a woof-CE branch, but 1download doesn't have a repo to download these .pet packages from.

If you copy them into packages-pet locally then you don't need to have a repo in the "cloud"............

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@peebee If the packages are not uploaded to a repo, the process of building VoidPup can't be automated, and I won't be able to add CI builds that can be used to test woof-CE changes on VoidPup. Your call.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I agree the PET's available on the git repo for building VoidPup are the best idea.

Otherwise that mean I would have to manually FIND then download the entire PET collection repo on to my local machine and set that up first then run woof-CE? Or locked into using a pre-built ISO?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Almost there, VoidPup64 is almost reproducible with upstream woof-CE https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3528 :thumbup:

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Here are some builds of audacious-4.2 audio player compiled from source in VoidPup and packaged as .xbps
Uploaded for testing if anyone is interested. Download and install locally with inst-xbps (in terminal). This has been my favourite audio player for some time now. This version was released in July 2022. Plays lots of file and audio stream formats including midi files. Uses an included small basic soundfont for this. Install a (larger) more sophisticated soundfont of your choice for much better sound reproduction of midi files. This package also sets up some right-click options. The GUI is gtk2 and not qt5
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/audaciou ... 86_64.xbps (64bit)
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/audaciou ... .i686.xbps (32bit)

TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Extremely late reply, but I finally got around to trying out 10c and I can confirm everything compiled without a hitch now. Thanks a ton peebee, OscarTalks, and dimkr.
This is pretty much my daily driver at this point. Low RAM usage and lightning fast performance even on this netbook.

Only two things:
-How do you enable/install the battery indicator? It seems it's missing or disabled by default here, and on laptops it's very much a necessity.

-libgmp is preinstalled, but it doesn't include libgmpxx. If this is also the case in Void then no problem, but otherwise it might be worth fixing.

Intel Celeron N2805 1.4GHz - 2GB RAM - integrated Intel HD chipset
Running VoidPup64

peebee

Post by peebee »

TDRR wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:12 pm

Only two things:
-How do you enable/install the battery indicator? It seems it's missing or disabled by default here, and on laptops it's very much a necessity.

-libgmp is preinstalled, but it doesn't include libgmpxx. If this is also the case in Void then no problem, but otherwise it might be worth fixing.

Hi @TDRR

Try +10d - rather old powerapplet_tray is replaced by a petbuild

gmpxx is not a dependency of any of the included apps or libs so if its needed it should be installed by vpm.

https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x86_64&q=gmp

TDRR

Post by TDRR »

peebee wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:30 pm

Hi TDRR

Try +10d - rather old powerapplet_tray is replaced by a petbuild

gmpxx is not a dependency of any of the included apps or libs so if its needed it should be installed by vpm.

https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x86_64&q=gmp

Worked very well, thanks.
And ah alright. I already had compiled it because I thought there was no separate package, but that's good to know to save the trouble later.

Intel Celeron N2805 1.4GHz - 2GB RAM - integrated Intel HD chipset
Running VoidPup64

peebee

Post by peebee »

bd12bd3ef4bfe18cf3f1723a81eb6de1 VoidPup32-22.02+11.iso
6c7e4a064cba8d189f74a017b60bcb5e VoidPup64-22.02+11.iso

see viewtopic.php?t=5270

Marv

Post by Marv »

Updated the 64b install on the usual Fujitsu S761 from 10c to 11. The usual procedure; delta used, md5sum checked, pristine, then add ydrv, then 6.08 kernel, then my savefile. All good from here. Only the usual 'fail' in dmesg with the stock kernel, gone with 6.x.x kernels:

[ 14.623877] zsmalloc: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel

Unlike LxPupSc64 since 22.02 +2 and a new trial install of S15Pup64, the CPU use at idle remains excellent, 1% or less. Held my breath on that one :) In both of the slackware based pups above, xorg buzzes along at 4 or 5% at idle.

I use neither the adrive nor the fdrive as all my browsers etc. are 'portable' and my Atheros wifi cards are supported by the kernel at this point.

Libinput still insists I have no physical touchpad buttons thus forcing tap-to-click, but my synaptics touchpad driver patch continues to work correctly in 11. The 6.0.8 kernel seems perfectly fine also. VoidPup64 continues as my daily.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

VLC now version 3.0.18
Compiled from source in +11 and packaged as .xbps
Executable is under /usr/local to evade the unwanted hack from fixmenusd
Uploaded for testing:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc-3.0.18_1.x86_64.xbps (64bit)
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/vlc-3.0.18_1.i686.xbps (32bit)

peebee

Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:34 pm

unwanted hack from fixmenusd

Thanks - will remove from future builds....

LLe

Post by LLe »

Hello.
What happens if I install Firefox from VPM instead of fsf?
How do I switch layouts in cellwriter, it won't switch from the default latin when changing languages?

peebee

Post by peebee »

LLe wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:24 pm

Hello.
How do I switch layouts in cellwriter, it won't switch from the default latin when changing languages?

Hi

1. You may find it is not properly configured for Puppy. Why do you want to do this? An sfs is much better - it doesn't pollute your save-area....

2. No idea I'm afraid - I don't think you can - see https://www.mankier.com/1/cellwriter#Options - maybe you need a different onscreen keyboard?

https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x8 ... reen%20key

https://florence.sourceforge.net/englis ... tives.html

LLe

Post by LLe »

peebee wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:29 am

Hi

1. You may find it is not properly configured for Puppy. Why do you want to do this? An sfs is much better - it doesn't pollute your save-area....

2. No idea I'm afraid - I don't think you can - see https://www.mankier.com/1/cellwriter#Options - maybe you need a different onscreen keyboard?

https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x8 ... reen%20key

https://florence.sourceforge.net/englis ... tives.html

1. It would be nore convenient to update, also was just curious what the difference would be

2. Alright then, it had options to select different writing systems in the setting menu of the app, not sure how that functions.

Thanks for your time.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@peebee
Tried VoidPup64.
ffmpeg is installed, but ffplay is not. Deliberately?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

LLe wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:24 pm

Hello.

Puppys are woofed/built to be binary-compatible with some distro, in your case Void. This means such Puppy can (in theory) make use of the applications created for that distro and has direct access to that distro's repositories. But such Puppy is NOT identical to its binary-compatible distro. Much of a Puppy 'infra-structure' --the application-links-- by which connections between the core/foundation and the applications by which user-tasks are undertaken (such as firefox to access the web) are unique to Puppys. The up-side is that this provides Puppys with the flexibility, speed, and the ability to use mechanisms such loading SFSes (squashed file systes) into RAM. The down-side is that infra-structure builders of applications for the binary compatible distro assumed to be present won't be.
So while in theory an application direct from the binary-compatible distro can be used, in practice sometimes to use it you have to supply the infra-structure its creator expected to be present. That involves a 'dependency' hunt which occasionally ends badly.

Before embarking on a dependency hunt always back-up your SaveFile/Folder and I strongly recommend operating under PupMode13 so changes you make can be tested without committing to them permanently.

Void expects your sound system to use pulse-audio. Puppys don't. Instead Puppy substitute the lighter-weight application apulse. But for firefox to know to make use of apulse it has to be told to do so via a bash-script, i.e, started with that script rather than by directly calling the firefox binary. How to get 'independently' built web-browsers to function under Puppy was worked out years ago by fredx181, and adopted by MikeWalsh in his production of portables.
IIRC, all MikeWalsh's portables will work under VoidPup. You'll find them here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=90. I know that firefox, in particular, does. You'll find it here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 559#p37559.
One of the many positive feature of these portables is that they can be updated.. Updating web-browsers based on mozilla's publications (i.e, firefox and seamonkey) or forked from it is easy. Just use the update mechanism built into the web-browser. Updating Chromium and those browsers cloned from it is a little more complicated.
Portables are designed to be run from anywhere. Most Users will locate them on /mnt/home so that they are outside of the SaveFile/Folder. But you can place the entire portable folder in /opt. If you do you'll have to remember that /opt is in 'Puppy-Space': any change you make will not become permanent until you execute a Save.
=-=-=-=-=-
You can examine one of the attachments from this post, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 470#p42470 to see what libraries would be missing from firefox obtained directly from Void. Note, however, that just installing those libraries won't work without the included script which only works, as is, with the portable structure.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

MochiMoppel wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:40 pm

I think it happens because ffplay requires SDL2 and the ffmpeg packages are compiled from source in (sometimes other) Puppies. If SDL2 is not found in the build environment at compile time, the missing dependency is auto-detected and ffplay is disabled in the build.

In Puppy there is the issue of being a cut-down distro, so sometimes it is advantageous to compile in Puppy rather than using packages from Void/Debian/Ubuntu/Slackware in order to avoid things like pulse, jack and various other "chain link" dependencies. This is certainly true in the case of ffmpeg and also true of SDL2 in fact.

As a test I just compiled SDL2-2.26.1 from source with custom configure options and installed it in VoidPup64. I then compiled ffmpeg-4.4.3 with my custom options and ffplay was built along with the other executables ffmpeg and ffprobe

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:11 pm
MochiMoppel wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:40 pm

I think it happens because ffplay requires SDL2 and the ffmpeg packages are compiled from source in (sometimes other) Puppies. If SDL2 is not found in the build environment at compile time, the missing dependency is auto-detected and ffplay is disabled in the build.

In Puppy there is the issue of being a cut-down distro

Thanks for your explanation, which sadly reminds me that I know nothing about compiling. I don't even know what SDL2 means :oops:
But I take from this that the lack of ffplay may not be intentional. Even though the pup calls itself "Void" I don't regard it as a "cut-down" distro. Also I don't know how common such setup is. I always assumed that a distro, when it includes ffmpeg, it would also include /ffprob/ffplay. Some of my applications rely on this combo (or its avconv cousin). On top of it - and that's why I'm so keen to see ffplay in a distro - is a current case where a MP3 file can be played correctly by ffplay but not by ffmpeg

Return to “VoidPup”