FossaDog (Ubuntu 20.04 'Focal Fossa' LTS) 64-bit (updated 2020-11-15)

Moderator: fredx181

Diogenes08

Re: FossaDog (Ubuntu 20.04 'Focal Fossa' LTS) 64-bit Alpha (updated 2020-09-07)

Post by Diogenes08 »

keniv wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:14 pm Hi Fred,
Well I've tried the other Dogs so I thought I'd try this one. However, my record on getting them to work with a save folder rather than save file is abysmal. I only managed to do this once and that was with a lot of help. In keeping with this record I've failed again. Here is the setup I'm using. I have a 40GB 2.5 inch ide HDD which came from an old laptop. It's plugged into an adapter which allows it to be used as a USB drive. It has two partitions. sda1, formatted ntsf at just over 9 GB and sda2, formatted ext3 at about 28GB. I have both buster dog and racy551 on sda1. I did not manage to create a save folder for buster dog, though I did try, so sda2 has nothing on it. Buster dog has a save file on sda1. I did a manual frugal install of fossa dog on sda1. I'm using grub4dos to boot both buster dog and racy so it was relatively easy to boot fossa dog. All I did after booting was to set up the wifi then I shutdown. As part of the shutdown process I was give the option of creating a save file or a save folder. I chose save folder. This is where things start to become confusing. I was asked to choose a folder in which the save folder called "changes" would be placed. I migrated to sda2 and chose "create folder". I named my folder f-dog-sf. I was told that this folder could not be used as it was not on a linux partition even although sda2 is a linux partition. I repeated this but this time did not choose a folder. This time the "changes" folder was accepted and written to sda2 and was used to save the changes. Now we come to the next problem that of the "cheat code" I looked at "Examples-boot-codes.txt". Below is the one I considered most relevant to me.

"Recommended to put the casper folder in a folder with unique name, e.g. Fossa_Dog, then use this:"

Code: Select all

title FossaDog in folder Fossa_Dog, save on exit (sda1) 
root (hd0,0)
kernel /Fossa_Dog/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/Fossa_Dog changes=EXIT:/Fossa_Dog/casper/
initrd /Fossa_Dog/casper/initrd1.xz
I found this a little confusing as the changes folder appears to be called casper when the routine to set up a changes folder only allows the name "changes" as well as the fact that the folder containing vmlinuz, initrd1.xz and the .sfs file is also called casper. Below is the boot code I've used.

title FossaDog (sda1/7920fossadog) 
root (hd0,0)
kernel /7920fossadog/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/7920fossadog changes=EXIT:/sda2/changes
initrd /7920fossadog/casper/initrd1.xz
I have also tried many variations of this including =EXIT:/mnt/sda2/changes and =EXIT:/changes and others I can't remember. Some times when it fails the report seems to suggest that sda2 cannot be found. I'm now wondering if I am not alone in having problems in finding a "cheat code" that will let me boot using my save folder.
Can you suggest how I can get fossa dog to use the save folder that was created using the fossa dog shutdown routine or if not is there a way to make a save folder that can be got to work.

Regards,

Ken.

EDITED to clarify a few things I got sort of wrong or confusing.

I think you have a few slight misconceptions that once cleared up will make this a whole lot easier for you.

The folder that you specify with the changes bootcode, is where the changes folder is. So, if you set it to changes=/sda2/ then it will look for the changes folder /sda2/changes/ and when you choose a location to save changes to when shutting down the first time, select sda2, and it will make the changes folder there. Done.

BUT, /sda2/ is not a location. You could use /dev/sda2/ which should work.

BUT, depending on which drives get detected first, how many drives are connected, etc, what sda is may change. A better way is to label the partition with a name you know is unique, and use changes=LABEL:whateveryourlabelis/ or if you want, use the block ID like changes=UUID:whateveryourblockidis/ which you can get by running blkid in a terminal.

BUT, you want to put it in it's own Fossa_Dog folder. There are a few good reasons for this, as in you can have several DebDog/Puppy installations each in their own folder, and should you ever run into major problems, booting from a USB key won't try to automatically use the files on the hard drive.

So, assuming you go the label route(though you can use UUID the same way,) you will want to copy your casper directory to /mnt/sda2/ do something like:

root (hd0,0)
kernel /Fossa_Dog/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/Fossa_Dog changes=EXIT:LABEL:whateveryourlabelforsda2is/

In other news, two more very minor things I found, searchmonkey's desktop file is pointing to the wrong icon, and move-in-crypt points to an entirely non-existent icon.

Other than that, UEFI method installs as expected on my HP Envy 13 without any problem, posting from it now.
backi

Post by backi »

Hi !
Another Option to test ...would be :

find --set-root /FOSSA_DOG/casper/vmlinuz
kernel /Fossa_Dog/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/Fossa_Dog changes=EXIT:/Fossa_Dog/casper/

The Difference is "find--set-root"

This Way It will search automatically for changes Folder.......if i am not totally wrong.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@backi keniv's install is on sda1 ntfs partiton, savefolder in /Fossa_Dog/casper/ won't work, changes should be on sda2 (ext3)

@keniv To add to Diogenes08's post, see the folder that you specify as the parent folder of the changes folder, the changes folder will be automatically created inside at boot and should not be specified, so for example if you have created unique named folder say "MyFDsave" on / of sda2 (i.e. /mnt/sda2/MyFDsave, then in menu.lst:

changes=EXIT:/MyFDsave
(NOT /MyFDsave/changes)

@Diogenes08, thanks, I'll look at the issues you mentioned.

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

@Diogenes08
You could use /dev/sda2/ which should work.
Yes it did work so thanks for that.
The folder that you specify with the changes bootcode, is where the changes folder is. So, if you set it to changes=/sda2/ then it will look for the changes folder /sda2/changes/ and when you choose a location to save changes to when shutting down the first time, select sda2, and it will make the changes folder there.
Initially I was not entirely sure what this meant however, I looked in /sda2/changes and as well as finding the changes that were initialy made on first shutdown I also found another changes folder which was empty. This was presumably made when the system found /dev/sda2. I shutdown again and chose to save. When I rebooted the changes were now in this previously empty folder. I deleted the original changes. I also put the new changes folder into a new folder called f-dog-sfolder and changed the cheat code. This is now the entry in grub4dos.

root (hd0,0)
kernel /7920fossadog/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/7920fossadog changes=EXIT:/dev/sda2/f-dog-sfolder
@backi
The Difference is "find--set-root"

This Way It will search automatically for changes Folder.......if i am not totally wrong.
I thought it was supposed to automatically search for changes folder but I'm much more likely to be wrong than you are.

I still think there is a problem in the way the save folder is made at shutdown. I think I would Have been better to make the file f-dog-sfolder in /sda2 manually and then use the cheat code to point "changes" there.

Regards,

Ken.
keniv

Post by keniv »

@fredx181
@keniv To add to Diogenes08's post, see the folder you specify as the parent folder of the changes folder, the changes folder will be automatically created inside at boot and should not be specified, so for example if you have created unique named folder say "MyFDsave" on / of sda2 (i.e. /mnt/sda2/MyFDsave, then in menu.lst:

changes=EXIT:/MyFDsave
High Fred,
I think our posts crossed. Does the above mean that I don't need the /dev/sda2 bit. If so I'll try it without.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:I think our posts crossed. Does the above mean that I don't need the /dev/sda2 bit. If so I'll try it without.
Yes, correct, just "/f-dog-sfolder" is enough and it will be found (but f-dog-sfolder should be unique name, not existing on any other partition)

Fred
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

All of these problems would disappear by using the deblive-multi-installer (Ubuntu section).
keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:39 pm Yes, correct, just "/f-dog-sfolder" is enough and it will be found
Yes it works. This is now the entry I have in menu.lst.

root (hd0,0)
kernel /7920fossadog/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/7920fossadog changes=EXIT:/f-dog-sfolder
@ rcrsn51
All of these problems would disappear by using the deblive-multi-installer
Have never tried it but I'd be tempted to if it took all these woes away. Can it be used when there are already other manually installed dogs and pups on the partition without affecting them?

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

As mentioned earlier: Symlink 'awk' is missing in /usr/local/sbin, needed for some startup applications, e.g. firewall, LXinput, to fix:

ln -s /bin/busybox /usr/local/sbin/awk
Added to Changes and fixes: viewtopic.php?p=2476#p2476

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

I am having another problem this time with intermittent wifi. I noticed it before but as I was having trouble in getting a save folder established I could not be sure it actually was an issue. However, now that the save folder, it turns out that it is an issue. On boot up it seems to work about about two times out of three. When it does not work I cannot get it to start. I don't believe it is to do with the wifi it's self as it works normally with buster dog and racy551 both of which are on the same partition. So I'm again having to ask for help.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi keniv, I have also wifi drops every few minutes, the source of the problem is probably in my router. Not sure what it can be for you.
Anyway, here's a workaround from rcrsn51 that works well for me, maybe for you too:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 0d1#477395

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

Hi Fred,
I have also wifi drops every few minutes, the source of the problem is probably in my router
Mine does not so much drop out but instead does not start up. If it starts up it's OK for the rest of the session. I'm using a usb wifi dongle connected to the machine via a short usb cable. The dongle has a small green led which lights during the boot up process at around the time the ubuntu screen appears if it's going to work. If it does not light during boot up the wifi does not work. I've tried a different cable and usb port but this made no difference. I have another wifi dongle somewhere so will try that if I find it. However, as I said, I don't have the problem with buster dog or racy551 so I'm not hopeful. I installed rcrsn51's script just in case it helped. Is there a way to force the wifi dongle to start once fossa dog is booted up from the command line say?

Regards,

Ken.
keniv

Post by keniv »

keniv wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:14 pm I have another wifi dongle somewhere so will try that if I find it.
Well I found it attached to a raspberry pi2b so I know it works with linux. I had to set up for this dongle which worked but again it was intermittent. I think I overestimated the fraction of times when it works. It's more like one time in three. I noticed that synaptic shows that peasy wifi is available. I've used it before with a pup. Is it worth a try here. Will it conflict with the frisbee set up I currently have?

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi keniv, yes you can install peasywifi, then frisbee will be auto-removed (otherwise could possible conflict).
Best to reboot with save after the install (may work OK with restart X, but not sure)

Fred
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I'm confused. The screen snapshots of FossaDog all show PWF as the built-in network manager.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:20 pm I'm confused. The screen snapshots of FossaDog all show PWF as the built-in network manager.
Yes, sorry the screenshots are from first test version.
Changed to frisbee later, mostly because frisbee shows/auto-choose if SSID is wpa or wpa2 etc..

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:17 pm Hi keniv, yes you can install peasywifi, then frisbee will be auto-removed (otherwise could possible conflict).
Best to reboot with save after the install (may work OK with restart X, but not sure)

Fred
OK Fred, thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

Regards,

Ken.
keniv

Post by keniv »

Well peasy wifi is installed and frisbee is removed. After a reboot I attempted to connect via wifi. When I scanned for networks I got something like wanl0 not active. I repeated rebooting and scanned for networks several times with the same results. I am currently posting from buster dog as I now can't get the wifi in fossa dog to work at all. I did get at one point a message telling me that the kernel module for wanl0 was unknown. I presumed this meant that no suitable kernel module had been loaded when I booted fossa dog. The dongle I'm using is a Micronet 2400-2572. I have no idea what module it requires. I seem to remember in the pups you could force a module to load. I don't know how to do this in a dog. Could I find the name of the correct module from buster dog where this dongle does function properly and so presumably it loads the correct module. I presume the correct module is in fossa dog as the wifi sometimes works. I also tried my other wifi dongle and got the same result as I did with Micronet one. I can't even go back to frisbee as I don't have an easy access to wired connection where I am in the house. Any suggestions as where to go from here apart from give up.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Ken, Mmm.. strange that it works on busterdog and not on fossadog (or sometimes), I'm afraid I cannot help.
I can't even go back to frisbee as I don't have an easy access to wired connection where I am in the house
To get back to frisbee, download .deb from other OS and install on FossaDog with right-click "Install .deb"
https://debiandog.github.io/FossaDog/Pa ... _amd64.deb

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:57 am To get back to frisbee, download .deb from other OS and install on FossaDog with right-click "Install .deb"
https://debiandog.github.io/FossaDog/Pa ... _amd64.deb
Hi Fred,
Used your link and downloaded frisbee using buster dog and installed it. Installation script said it would remove peasy. Checked to see if this had been done and it had. Without a reboot the led came on on the dongle and the frisbee dialog box appeared. Selected my network and entered my password and a working connection was made. I'm posting from fossa dog now. I am baffled by why this sometimes works and sometimes not. I also can't understand why peasy wifi didn't work at all. I think I might be able to find the module that's loaded for this dongle in racy551. Not sure if that will help but I'll try it. I'm not good on the command line stuff but I seem to remember that the command to start the wifi was something like

wifi up
Do you know if I've got that correct? I'm not confident that when I shutdown and reboot that wifi will still be working. I think I'm getting to the point where I'll have to give up. It's a pity though.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit1: Wifi worked on reboot so I'll see how it goes.
Edit2: Wifi failed on second reboot.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi ken, in case after reboot there's no wifi, maybe running these commands can activate it:

/usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-wifi-disconnect
/usr/local/frisbee/frisbee-wifi-connect
If it does, you can make a startup script from it to run from ~/Startup

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

Thanks Fred, I'll try that.

Ken.
keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:20 pm Hi ken, in case after reboot there's no wifi, maybe running these commands can activate it:

If it does, you can make a startup script from it to run from ~/Startup

Fred
Hi Fred,
I've made my little script and I'm pretty sure it's working. I've tried shutting down with and without save and restarted with and without save a number of times and every time the machine has booted up with wifi so I'm hoping it's fixed. This is all I have in my script.

#!/bin/sh
Is this OK or does it need anything else? Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Ken, yes script is OK.
If it works always that way, it could be that the reason for failure was some sort of a timing issue,and restarting wifi-connect after login solves it, just guessing though.

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

Hi Fred,
Well it's still working OK so I'm still quite hopeful. If the problem was a timing issue would you expect the same timing issue each time? If it was the same each time I do wonder why it sometimes worked. On another issue I tried Menu>Accessories>Menumaker and nothing happened. I went to the menumaker.desktop file opened it and copied what came after Exec= to a terminal. Here's the output I got.

root@live:~# /usr/local/desktop_view_edit/menumaker

** (gtkdialog4:8899): ERROR **: 21:13:31.624: gtkwialog: Error in line 57, near token ' 

Recommended Browser option(s): Default Web Browser "': syntax error

/usr/local/desktop_view_edit/menumaker: line 729:  8899 Trace/breakpoint trap   $GTKDIALOG --center --program=XMenu_Entry_Make_GUI
root@live:~# 
I don't pretend to understand this, but I assume it means there is something wrong. Of course I could be doing something wrong but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:If the problem was a timing issue would you expect the same timing issue each time? If it was the same each time I do wonder why it sometimes worked.
Yes, you are probably right, a bit mysterious though why wifi works when running the frisbee-wifi disconnect/connect commands at a later point.
On another issue I tried Menu>Accessories>Menumaker and nothing happened. I went to the menumaker.desktop file opened it and copied what came after Exec= to a terminal. Here's the output I got....
Thanks, yes, I see now it's because of contents of /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, changing to e.g. this will fix it:

exec xdg-open "$@"
Not sure how to handle this yet, could be also (apulse is needed for sound with firefox):

apulse xdg-open "$@"
Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:03 am Thanks, yes, I see now it's because of contents of /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser, changing to e.g. this will fix it:

exec xdg-open "$@"
Not sure how to handle this yet, could be also (apulse is needed for sound with firefox):

apulse xdg-open "$@"
Hi Fred,
Both of the above work. Is one better than the other? At the moment I've left it as
apulse xdg-open "$@"
which as you say is needed for sound in firefox.

Thanks again,

Ken.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote: apulse xdg-open "$@"

which as you say is needed for sound in firefox.
Yes with apulse is probably best, not sure yet, I may change it in next ISO release.

Fred
keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:46 pm Yes with apulse is probably best, not sure yet, I may change it in next ISO release.
Thanks Fred,
However I've now gone for the nuclear option. I again had problems with non-starting wifi in fossa. The scrip was still running at startup but wifi didn't start. Here's the output from running the script manually.

root@live:~# /root/Startup/wififix
dhcpcd[4828]: sending commands to master dhcpcd process
dhcpcd[4832]: sending signal 1 to pid 3746
dhcpcd[4832]: waiting for pid 3746 to exit
Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: wlan0  error: No such file or directory
Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: wlan0  error: No such file or directory
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
dhcpcd[4870]: version 5.5.6 starting
dhcpcd[4870]: wlan0: interface not found or invalid
dhcpcd: no process found
dhcpcd[4887]: version 5.5.6 starting
dhcpcd[4887]: no valid interfaces found
dhcpcd[4887]: forking to background
dhcpcd[4887]: forked to background, child pid 4888
root@live:~# 
I spite of the above, as the dongle does work with buster dog and racy, I was fairly sure it was working properly. I wondered if the installation was corrupt in some way. I re-checked the md5 check sum on the iso but it was OK. I also wondered if it could be caused by possible damage on the drive. I expect others are laughing at this as it's really clutching at straws. Anyway, I deleted the installation including the changes file, re-downloaded the iso, checked the md5 check sum of this download and reinstalled. I'm posting from fossa dog now and the wifi hasn't failed yet although I'm probably tempting fate saying that. If it does fail I think I'll have to give up so you shouldn't be bothered with this anymore.

Regards,

Ken.
Edit: Wifi failed again so for the moment I've given up on this.
puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

Hi.
Thanks so much for this!
I can't believe i haven't tried dogs sooner. such a joy.

so, I've installed on two UEFI machines. after some confusion with refind menu entries vs scan_for_dir options they are both happily booting from their own folders alongside puppies... all seems mostly solid. done a lot of theming and messed a few things up but found my way back. i don't know much about yad but so far I've failed to add an option to the desktop-manager script.

a thing or two, somehow my .asoundrc was .asoundrc.bak so i had no sound in FF until i found that.
also at every boot my backlight is almost off ( 237 of 4650 max) I'm sure it's just my hardware but thought id mention. i made a cairo sub dock as a workaround for now with a button to echo hi, mid and low values to the brightness file. crude but effective. was wondering if the backlight-keys app i just saw in the debian thread would cooperate?

anyway, thanks again, i am VERY excited to keep using this doggy :thumbup2:

Return to “UbuntuDogs”