KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Moderator: Forum moderators

one

Re: Timezone and Time and Date

Post by one »

darry19662018 wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:31 am

[...] how to change timezone and time?

Hi @darry19662018,

R-click the bottom panel>Panel Preferences>Tab "items">select "clock" from the list>click the "tool-button" below the list>Time Settings>"Timezone" (hint:leave empty to use localtime).

Type the first letter of the continent ("A" for America, "E" for Europe) and a listing will appear to select the one you want.

PS: I think it is also possible to set TZ in the kernel line - but can't remember at the moment exactly how ... :oops:

peace

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Been running this on my Compaq cq61 interesting system. Got on line everything seems to work just wondered how to change timezone and time?

Latest build(s) should have automatic timezone detection and sync the time (if internet connected), not working for you ?

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 I am thinking about double checking that everything is installed including the scripts dealing with turning on the swap functions. Then releasing a Beta1.

I am going to download the alpha9.8 and checking that the auto timezone is indeed included. I had a situation where it wasn't clear that it was actually present!

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:17 pm

Been running this on my Compaq cq61 interesting system. Got on line everything seems to work just wondered how to change timezone and time?

Latest build(s) should have automatic timezone detection and sync the time (if internet connected), not working for you ?

I have found it works correctly if I leave blank. Thanks for reply.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by rockedge »

@darry19662018 also a right mouse click on the clock in the tray and select Properties, this will open the clock/timezone dialog GUI. Just begin to type in the timezone form field and all the timezones appear for selection. Otherwise that is correct, leave blank and the auto timezone clock set mechanism will set the system clock from the ntp time servers.

Also KLV-Airedale-alpha12 is ready for download. Download link is in the first post of this topic.

the rootfs has been updated to latest rolling upgrade available. All of @fredx181's utilities and tools are also included.

pup-volume-monitor is not built in for alpha12

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Thanks Rocky,

Nice job using it now.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

About trying to use Frugalpup Installer and it's different installers.

Got a reply from gyrog.

gyrog wrote:

As I've said before: FrugalPup is written to do frugal installs of Puppy Linux and nothing else.

The "problem" you are having with the FrugalPup->Boot facility is directly related to it's Puppy centric view of the world.
It's not just that it ignores directories that don't cotain a detectable Puppy, it's code for generating a grub2 boot entry goes to a lot of effort to produce a "rich" Pupopy Linux specific boot entry,
hence it generates "pfix=", "pdrv=", etc...
The 'bootentry' script would probable need to be re-written, as well as some smaller mods to other scripts.

As to 'StickPup' and 'f2StickPup', the error is produced when a non zero exit code is returned from it's first attempt to execute the 'parted' program.
In this call it is trying to create a new partition table on '/dev/sdc'.

Anybody good at coding, could maybe adjust the code for KLV-Airedale :idea:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

Thanks for alpha 12, Erik. Running sweet as a nut here.

Posting from it ATM.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I was kind of watching the winter Olympics and playing around with xscreensaver which I have installed. I need an alternative screensaver than the default xfce4-screensaver, which freezes the desktop when exiting to return to the active desktop on this particular machine with MATOX graphics. It's a blade server so graphics is not at all a priority. And a funny thing happened that I have never seen before.

I have "Galaxy" selected as the only screensaver and I went into Galaxy's settings and chose for the Visual selection "Best". When the xscreensaver went into screensaver mode it layered the spinning Galaxy's right on top of the regular XFCE4 desktop. So the Galaxy screensaver seen in screenshot #1 layered on #2 completely.

Actually looks pretty cool

Screenshot_2022-02-07_12-57-27.png
Screenshot_2022-02-07_12-57-27.png (126.47 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
Screenshot_2022-02-07_13-09-34.png
Screenshot_2022-02-07_13-09-34.png (125.84 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:51 pm

About trying to use Frugalpup Installer and it's different installers.

Got a reply from gyrog.

gyrog wrote:

As I've said before: FrugalPup is written to do frugal installs of Puppy Linux and nothing else.

The "problem" you are having with the FrugalPup->Boot facility is directly related to it's Puppy centric view of the world.
It's not just that it ignores directories that don't cotain a detectable Puppy, it's code for generating a grub2 boot entry goes to a lot of effort to produce a "rich" Pupopy Linux specific boot entry,
hence it generates "pfix=", "pdrv=", etc...
The 'bootentry' script would probable need to be re-written, as well as some smaller mods to other scripts.

As to 'StickPup' and 'f2StickPup', the error is produced when a non zero exit code is returned from it's first attempt to execute the 'parted' program.
In this call it is trying to create a new partition table on '/dev/sdc'.

Anybody good at coding, could maybe adjust the code for KLV-Airedale :idea:

Mind you, once you have grub2 installed via FrugalPup in doing a frugal install of Puppy Linux, you can then edit the grub.cfg to boot any other distro you wish, including KLV-Airedale. In fact I did that on one of the machines in my own house when I wanted a quick fossapup64 install, so I successfully tried out its frugalpup installer to partition the machines empty hard drive and install fossapup64 on it. Then, on the same machine I made various other frugal installs (including KLV-Airedale) and simply edited the grub.cfg to include them. So FrugalPup can in fact be used as the basis, as is, for installing other distros too (albeit following the installation of a small Pup...).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Question
Didn't @shinobar's contribution, last year, provide a better solution instead of Frugality?

Also, I agree with @gyrog. I also, unrelated to his response to @bigpup , have an 'open' question to him on an observation of boot init processing in light of "psave=" presence.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@rockedge

Hi Erik, tested alpha 12, two issues:
- Automatic timezone detection not enabled, (re)installing tzupdate xbps fixes it viewtopic.php?p=47123#p47123
- Xdialog is missing (tried to enable timezone detection through Menu > System > "Enable/Disable auto timezone" , but didnt' work because Xdialog is required.
(and may be required for other programs too, e.g. Uextract, not sure though))
Probably it's missing because it's not (anymore) in the new 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs

P.S. When installing tzupdate xbps, I got this;

Code: Select all

index: added `tzupdate-1.0_0' (noarch).
index: 1 packages registered.

Name     Action    Version           New version            Download size
tzupdate downgrade 2.0.0_3           1.0_0                  - 

Size required on disk:         8771B
Space available on disk:        24GB

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

[*] Verifying package integrity
tzupdate-1.0_0: verifying SHA256 hash...

[*] Collecting package files
tzupdate-2.0.0_3: collecting files...

[*] Unpacking packages
tzupdate-1.0_0: unpacking ...
tzupdate-1.0_0: removed obsolete entry: ./usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tzupdtzupdate-1.0_0: removed obsolete entry: ./usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tzupdtzupdate-1.0_0: removed obsolete entry: ./usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tzupdtzupdate-1.0_0: removed obsolete entry: ./usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tzupdtzupdate-1.0_0: removed obsolete entry: ./usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tzupdtzupdate-1.0_0: removed obsolete entry: ./usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tzupdtzupdate-1.0_0: removed obsolete entry: ./usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/tzupd
[*] Configuring unpacked packages
tzupdate-1.0_0: configuring ...
Updating GTK+ icon cache for /usr/share/icons/hicolor...
Updating MIME database...
tzupdate-1.0_0: installed successfully.

0 downloaded, 1 installed, 0 updated, 1 configured, 0 removed.

Press any key to close . . .

Looks like it's downgrading from installed v 2.0.0_3 to 1.0_0 and that 2.0.0_3 contains (unneeded) python stuff.
(1.0_0 depends only on curl and Xdialog)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 I was just about to post that I have seen the auto timezone disappear after routine updates! Looks like it gets removed.
I think I'll put back the previous 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs as well!

Also how do I set tzupdate to be enabled as default?

I reinstall TAZ and all is good again. I should have just left the first 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs for now. Must mention this to @wiak

Also I have noticed this over an over that I install the TAZ and it just isn't there after I package it or xbps is removing it? Don't know for sure.
These items I will straighten out and re-package the ISO

Is there a name conflict with an existing Void repo TAZ?

Also notice that Thunar running as spot seems to have a permissions problem writing to /tmp/

(thunar:9042): pup-volume-monitor-WARNING **: 23:12:17.806: 
Couldn't connect to server at /tmp/pup_volume_monitor_socket: Permission denied

UPDATE: I have uploaded and replaced the Alpha12 ISO with this modified and re-packaged version.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote:

I reinstall TAZ and all is good again. I should have just left the first 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs for now. Must mention this to @wiak

Also I have noticed this over an over that I install the TAZ and it just isn't there after I package it or xbps is removing it? Don't know for sure.
These items I will straighten out and re-package the ISO

Is there a name conflict with an existing Void repo TAZ?

TAZ = tzupdate ? not sure what you mean.
Didn't investigate if there's a Void package like that :?: .

I should have just left the first 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs for now

I'd say modify the new 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs from wiak with added Xdialog.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 yes it seems there is something that happened in a recent xbps-install -Suy command. xbps reported removing obsolete links and files and then the TAZ was gone.

Just now I could not replicate it. Yes good idea, I'll just add it back in to the new one.

UPDATE
I repackaged the SFS and produced a new ISO. It is uploaded.

Also it is confirmed there is an exiisting package in the repo called tzupdate

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 I am going to install the tzupdate from the Void repo and see how it operates. Can we just modify the name of your package?

wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:33 pm

Probably it's missing because it's not (anymore) in the new 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs

Yes, it is fine if you add Xdialog to your copy of the 10gtkdialogGTK3... sfs for KLV-airedale (and other Void Linux use) if you wish. I haven't added it in main version I store for download because that sfs is simply for the provided gtkdialog and filemnt programs and I don't use xdialog for that particular filemnt (uses gxmessage for its X-related messages).

More importantly for generic use of the addon, I use same sfs with my Arch Linux builds and xdialog is provided by pacman still. I note that neither Void Linux or it seems Debian now provide an Xdialog package (though Debian provides nxdialog - I don't know what that is). My main principle is that if the official package manager contains a package I generally would always rely on that rather than overwrite it by a different version in an addon sfs layer.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote:

@fredx181 I am going to install the tzupdate from the Void repo and see how it operates. Can we just modify the name of your package?

Yes, call it as you like (need to rebuild it then with dir2xbps,I think) e.g. tzupdate2 or ....
EDIT: I wish I knew earlier that there's a tzupdate void package.

wiak wrote:

Yes, it is fine if you add Xdialog to your copy of the 10gtkdialogGTK3... sfs for KLV-airedale (and other Void Linux use) if you wish. I haven't added in main version I store for download because that sfs is simply for the provided gtkdialog and filemnt programs and I don't use xdialog for that particular filemnt (uses gxmessage for its X-related messages).

I see, then I guess best to make Xdialog a separate package (as long as gtk2 still supported)

wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:14 pm
wiak wrote:

Yes, it is fine if you add Xdialog to your copy of the 10gtkdialogGTK3... sfs for KLV-airedale (and other Void Linux use) if you wish. I haven't added in main version I store for download because that sfs is simply for the provided gtkdialog and filemnt programs and I don't use xdialog for that particular filemnt (uses gxmessage for its X-related messages).

I see, then I guess best to make Xdialog a separate package (as long as gtk2 still supported)

Yes, making Xdialog a separate xbps package would be the best approach I feel. Indeed if no longer being supported upstream by Void Linux repos or Debian repos I wouldn't be too surprised if Arch Linux stops supporting it in their official repos too (though still available from Arch as of now).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak and @fredx181 So the best way to go is make those 2 separate SFS files it appears to be the vote.

I am going to test changing tzupdate to tzupdate181 (or tzupdate2). Does Fred's tzupdate package have the auto timezone enabled as default after installation?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge /@fredx181 /@wiak :-

Guys; need a few pointers on this one. I came across a thread on the VoidLinux sub-Reddit the other day which claimed that BlackMagic Design's daVinci Resolve video editor apparently installs straight into Void Linux, and runs perfectly.

Now; they've changed the install format. A couple of years ago, it was downloadable as the usual .zip file, containing multiple different .deb & .rpm installers. No more. Now, it's a massive 2.2 GB .run file :shock: , which has to be installed from the command-line.....and at various points during the install, you've got to switch from non-root user to root user, then back again. At every stage, passwords have to be entered. So; the question....

Since KLV isn't using passwords, how do I go about creating passwords for both /root & either /weedog OR /spot (don't suppose it makes much difference)? And Erik; remind me again of how we create and use multiple upper_changes directories, please? I'd like to set this up in its own 'profile'/'prefix'/'save' - whatever you want to call it! - so's it doesn't interfere with my existing set-up.

(Come to that, I could set-up a separate KLV specifically for daVinci Resolve.....but I still need info on root/user password creation, if this is going to work correctly.)

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh The passwords are:

user

password

root

root

weedog

weedog

spot

spot

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

Cheers, Erik. Much obliged to you. I'll keep you posted as to progress.....

Mike. Image

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh
I think you can change them in a terminal:

passwd spot
passwd weedog
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote:

I am going to test changing tzupdate to tzupdate181 (or tzupdate2). Does Fred's tzupdate package have the auto timezone enabled as default after installation?

Yes, auto timezone enabled is the default.
I will work on new packages tzupdate2 and xdialog soon.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 That sounds really good. Those 2 packages are important to the quality of the project. I think the glitches are fixed in alpha12 but I still need to put it under more usage conditions to find the bugs and stuff I might have missed putting it together. I had repackaged the 10gtkdialogGTK3 incorrectly by not having the right path structure, so that I fixed and then repackaged the ISO and generated new hash numbers for it.

Really couldn't make KLV-Airedale as good as it is without all of your hard, excellent work. Thanks Fred. :thumbup2:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi Rockedge and All. Attached xbps packages tzupdate2 (for replacing the void "tzupdate" package) and xdialog
(btw, the void tzupdate could be ok too (didn't test), but doesn't have auto-start or easy option to disable/enable)

tzupdate2-2.0_1.noarch.xbps
(8.75 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
xdialog-2.3_1.x86_64.xbps
(35.71 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also new version of xbps-tools,

xbps-tools-1.0_2.noarch.xbps
(33.04 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Change is;
- dir2xbps (create xbps package) has some more options that could be handy in some situations:
-- Replace, replace files from existing installed package(s)
-- Conflicts, remove the package specified, as it's marked as conflicting.
If both are specified for a package it will be completely replaced by the package to install
In the case of creating "tzupdate2" I did specify both so will be replacing the void "tzupdate" package:

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (93.29 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

KLV-Airedale alpha 12

Some basic testing results.

Applications->Other->
Pfind file finder
Take a Gif
Take a Shot
Click on and nothing happens.

Applications->Accessories->
UExtract
Click on nothing happens.
Packit
picom

Applications->Multimedia->
Wex
Precord

Right click on desktop menu
pfind here
Create SFS
All this seems to do is give compression choices and create a empty SFS.
You have to guess where it put it.
It really seems part of a more featured SFS creation program.

Forum Global Moderator

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@bigpup Can you download the alpha12 ISO again and install it fresh? There was a problem in the 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs included in the first version of the alpha12 ISO. I fixed it and repackaged the SFS and the ISO that includes it. I have replaced the flawed ISO.

I have downloaded the alpha12 ISO installed it frugally and started it up. Now all those problems seem to be fixed. Please test and report!

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Ok.
Fresh new download of the alpha 12 ISO.
Fresh clean install.
Now all those menu items seem to work when clicked on.

Sorry, I thought I just downloaded the ISO last night, but I guess it was a few days ago, before you updated.
Well I will not do that again.
From now on only test after doing the ISO download and a install of it.

Well it did test your update :thumbup: :lol:

Forum Global Moderator

Return to “Specialized”