KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Moderator: Forum moderators

fredx181

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by fredx181 »

peebee wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:52 pm

FYI I do:

Code: Select all

#patch thunar
./bbe -e 's/Warning: you are using the root account. You may harm your system./                                                                  /' ${FINALSFS}/usr/bin/thunar > thunarpatched
chmod 755 thunarpatched
mv -f thunarpatched ${FINALSFS}/usr/bin/thunar

Thanks peebee, works, except that the bar is still visible (only the warning is gone) oh, well...

@bigpup

Anyone know how to change the font colors on the desktop?

AFAIK there's no such option included in XFCE, but found info here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=341804
Attached script desk-font-color (modified from linuxmint forum script by "secureIT")
EDIT: Re-attached, fixed that shadow color didn't work.
EDIT: New attached here: viewtopic.php?p=47900#p47900

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (15.03 KiB) Viewed 804 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: KLV-Airedale-alpha Released for Experimentation and Improvement by the Puppy community

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 Nice! really useful tool. Pretty amazing Fred!

I thought you went outside to hang out with some friends..... :P

EDIT: script GUI worked and changed the font color, but does not indicate the colors currently selected.
Also notice I suddenly like running pup-vol-monitor and gvfs together. Kind of crowded but for me I need the gvfs Samba and the other options it provides in Thunar plus I like to use the Puppy Linux style of pup-vol-monitor.

Screenshot_2022-01-24_09-14-49.png
Screenshot_2022-01-24_09-14-49.png (328.61 KiB) Viewed 771 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:11 pm

I thought you went outside to hang out with some friends..... :P

Nah, my outside life is pretty much in alpha stage :D

Another thing, I had a problem using wget, complaining about option -r being invalid, later noticed that it's a symlink to busybox.
Better include the full wget IMHO.
Also IMO perl would be good to include, required sooner or later as dependency for many programs.
But I'd say no rush creating a new ISO, unless you enjoy doing it ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

For an experiment I took the uncompressed rootfs from KLV and used @wiak's mount-umount scripts to chroot into the rootfs and I ran a complete rolling update/upgrade then squashed it.

I call it alpha10. It is the same rootfs from alpha9.8 just did a xbps-install -Suy on it.
Typing from Firefox 96.0.2 and testing out fredx181's latest utility on it right now.
Question is release this? I am about to just take the new 07KLV-airedale_rootfs.sfs and swap it into an alpha9.8 set up, to see what will happen in relation to the saved /upper_changes

@fredx181 No problems spinning out a new ISO. I have a routine and the parts in place and I just either make it with KLV or I reboot into a Puppy Bionic64-CE set up for dev work which has all of the tools right on hand to squash and compress.

Plus on the Bionic64 I can start the KLV rootfs in a Xnest window and add stuff directly to the rootfs in it's uncompressed state. Also from there I can just copy components right into the rootfs from the host system no problem.

Strange is with no Xnest I can mount the rootfs and start xfce4-sessions in a terminal and it will open up the entire desktop right on top of the Bionic64! I do stuff then use "logout" and it drops back into the Bionic64 desktop. Super convenient it is

Update: I have included wget and PERL is already installed.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote:

EDIT: script GUI worked and changed the font color, but does not indicate the colors currently selected.

Good idea, now if gtk.css exists in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ it will read the currently selected colors (if any), new desk-font-color (with some small other fixes too):

desk-font-color.gz
Remove fake .gz and make executable
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 the script works really well! It's these little additions of features that really make it interesting.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I have been testing Frugalpup Installer to see how it would work for installing KLV-Airedale.
http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html

I downloaded the Frugalpup v36 SFS package and turned it into a XBPS package.
Installed the XBPS package into KLV-Airedale v9.7

It made menu entries in Applications->Other

I just started trying to do installs with it.

First issue starting Frugalpup -flexable frugal installer.
The main window is way to large. Goes off the desktop too long, vertical size.
But all the buttons are there and seem to work.

Tried to do a frugal install of KLV-Airedale, using the KLV-Airedale-alpha9.7.iso
It did this install of files from the iso.

Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (51 KiB) Viewed 652 times

Tried to see if the boot loader install option would work.
It refuses to continue installing a boot loader, because it is not seeing any Puppy frugal installs, on the drive.
So, that part of the code would need tweaking to recognize KLV-Airedale installs.

Next test will be the installers for USB installs.
StickPup
F2stickPup

These get to where they are trying to setup the USB.
Get this error:

Screenshot(2).png
Screenshot(2).png (7.19 KiB) Viewed 648 times

This may have something to do with the way drives are identified in the KLV file system.
The fact that they are not at /mnt/ but under /run/
Do not use the normal sdX identifier.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

bigpup wrote:

This may have something to do with the way drives are identified in the KLV file system.

Could this issue be solved perhaps if you install pup-volume-monitor ? viewtopic.php?p=47159#p47159
(it will mount partitions under /mnt instead of /run/)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 That might do it! I would have set up the same tests first

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

IIRC, Frugal-installer expects an operating system to begin with the name "puppy". I posted about that problem either with respect to puli or easyOS. To get it to function I had to temporarily change the name of the base.sfs, then after the listing was created change it back in order to boot.
Maybe gyrog's "otherinstalls" application viewtopic.php?p=33901#p33901 would work.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:47 pm
bigpup wrote:

Could this issue be solved perhaps if you install pup-volume-monitor ? viewtopic.php?p=47159#p47159
(it will mount partitions under /mnt instead of /run/)

It helped a little to make it easier for the user to pick the correct locations and drives.
Note:
After installing pup-volume-monitor. Had to reinstall Frugalpup Installer, for some reason, to get it working again.

But I still get the same issues, I posted earlier, trying to use Frugalpup Installer.

Someone that understands the code, this uses, is going to be able to figure this out.

All the stuff it uses is in /usr/local/frugalpup
It is a bunch of different files and script programs.

I sent a PM to gyrog (the developer of Frugalpup Installer) to see if wants to give us some help with the code.

The name of stuff not having Puppy or pup in it, is probably the main issue.
Frugalpup is coded for only Puppy Linux OS names.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Re: pup-volume-monitor

Post by bigpup »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 pm

pup-volume-monitor .xbps package:
pup-volume-monitor-1.15_0.x86_64.xbps

If this is installed, there will be a double display of drive icons on the the Desktop and /or in Thunar.
To have only the disk icons displayed from pup-volume-monitor (see pic below), remove gvfs:
xbps-remove -F gvfs gvfs-cdda gvfs-mtp gvfs-smb
To apply the changes, restart X or reboot.
Screenshot_2022-01-14_17-00-34.png

I found if you remove gvfs, Thunar has no trash selection in it's right click menu.
Also, cannot find a trash directory, anyplace in the file system.
In Thunar->Preferences->Advanced
It will show a warning about gvfs not installed.

Install gvfs.
Trash is back in the Thunar right click menu.
Trash directory is in the file system.

Forum Global Moderator

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

bigpup wrote:

I found if you remove gvfs, Thunar has no trash selection in it's right click menu.

Yes, trash is one of the features of gvfs that pup-volume-monitor doesn't have.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I also like to use the samba features in Thunar. Very handy. On this test run of alpha11 which is an alpha9.8 but running with the 07KLV-airedale_rootfs.sfs uncompressed. In this configuration I can instantly add and work on the main rootfs directly and allows the /07KLV-airedale_rootfs to be mounted/umounted using @wiak's scripts to chroot into the rootfs directly and run xbps-install -Suy for a complete rolling update/upgrade of the operating system. There can be potential conflicts between the rootfs and /upper_changes package versions, although so far I have not run into anything that couldn't be fixed by running xbps-install -Suy in a terminal once booted into the full KLV system again. Which syncs the two file systems.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

rockedge wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:17 pm

I also like to use the samba features in Thunar. Very handy. On this test run of alpha11 which is an alpha9.8 but running with the 07KLV-airedale_rootfs.sfs uncompressed. In this configuration I can instantly add and work on the main rootfs directly and allows the /07KLV-airedale_rootfs to be mounted/umounted using @wiak's scripts to chroot into the rootfs directly and run xbps-install -Suy for a complete rolling update/upgrade of the operating system. There can be potential conflicts between the rootfs and /upper_changes package versions, although so far I have not run into anything that couldn't be fixed by running xbps-install -Suy in a terminal once booted into the full KLV system again. Which syncs the two file systems.

Interesting!

Perhaps there might be a way to automate the process; have a single button/script/whatever which, when selected, unmounts the rootfs, runs the rolling-update, then re-mounts & "syncs" again, all in one fell swoop? That, alone, would go a long way toward making more folks interested who, in the normal course of things would hesitate & "fence-sit", simply due to the process sounding way too complicated and "manual" for their liking.....

Food for thought, maybe? (I'd have a go at scripting it myself, except for the fact that I don't yet fully understand what you've just described. That, and the simple fact that my own scripting skills aren't really up to the job just yet..!) :oops:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@rockedge
Hi Erik, I experimented booting with the latest Void kernel 5.15.17_1, if you're interested to try, here's a "package" (contents to replace existing files in the KLV folder)
k-void-5.15.17_1-amd64.tar.gz
Downside is that it would take much more space in the ISO.
At first seemed to work well, it fixed the delay problem (that I mentioned earlier) I have with the kernel from ozsouth, but found later that appimages wouldn't run because of fuse not loaded (not show in lsmod).
A simple modprobe fuse fixed it but better fix I found was to install "kmod", and after that fuse was loaded automatically at boot.
kmod is a rather small package, and seems better to me than e.g. depmod, modprobe linked to busybox.

Btw, installing the void linux5.15 package failed for some reason :?: (used octoxbps) but I did extract the linux5.15 .xbps package and made .sfs and used cr-initrd script (earlier mentioned in WDL thread) to create initrd.gz for it.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181,
Hi Fred! This looks interesting. I do use the Void kernels in the WDL-Void's I've made. I started out making FirstRib-WeeDog-WDL builds using the Puppy Linux kernels but as I tried out the builds with the Void kernels I was seeing some things work better (don't remember what that was) and the kernels are some of the newest if so desired. Yes I agree the Void kernels take more room, because there is so much firmware and hardware support.

Back during the FirstRib - WDL stage you made a script that can reduce the size of the initrd that I recently have used and in that case it worked perfectly. Also after adding the Void kernel installed during the original build from a PLUG file or if I install the Void kernel in a chroot'ed decompressed rootfs, I then can run @wiak's build_weedog_initrd-latest.sh which will construct the initrd.gz with the modules in place and extracts the vmlinuz and places it in the root frugal directory.

I will have to look to see which version is more compact, taking the skeleton initrd.gz and modifying it by adding the kernel modules or the build script version.

Also there is a really broad range of kernel versions available for Void Linux and don't forget the handy vkpurge command to clean out the kernels not being used.

I am about to install a Void kernel using the method of chroot'ed the rootfs AND I will try out something wiak reminded me of which is rename the KLV rootfs to /upper_changes and create an empty dummy 07KLV-airedale_rootfs. This is a pseudo "full" install mode we've been playing around with, that all the update/upgrades are written directly to the main rootfs.

Vverve

Post by Vverve »

9.8 on the leash, at least one appimage ,Freecad, need libpci.0.3,
installing;
https://alpha.de.repo.voidlinux.org/cur ... 86_64.xbps
solved it.
Slowly getting use to KLV .
Do like xfce, power management stuff ,very nice,but shure miss jwm.
A peebee void style ydrv-jwm-xf option? one day?

Void is an interesting choice.

A big round of applause to all of you.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh I've been using the Google_Chrome-portable96.0.4664.110 (Official) which runs very nicely in KLV-Airedale-alpha9.8 (also alpha10 and alpha11) and the add menu script works except it doesn't yet have the logic whether to run fixmenu or not if the desktop is xfce4. Though that line must error out it seems to not stop the script from completeing. Only thing is the .desktop file places the menu choice under "Others", so with a slight modification shown below to chrome-portable.desktop will make the portable end up in the correct "Internet" menu group in both Puppy Linux AND KLV-Airedale!

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Chrome-portable
Comment=Browse the web...
Exec=chrome
Icon=chrome
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Internet-browser;Network;WebBrowser;
Screenshot_2022-02-02_22-09-38.png
Screenshot_2022-02-02_22-09-38.png (400.9 KiB) Viewed 659 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Same here, Erik. I performed the Category re-jig on my own 'root' Chrome-portable some time ago. But it never occurred to me to leave both 'Category' definitions together on the same line....

(*shrug*)

Let me see if I can figure that bit of logic out.

Mike. ;)

wiak

Post by wiak »

In testing my latest home WDL_Arch64 build I discovered that I had made a serious error in the new code I had added to filemnt in 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs

I slightly recall someone uploading a filemnt xbps fix (Fred)? However, I have now fixed my own special version (though some testing good to confirm...) in that 10gtkdialog sfs.

It is slightly different from other versions in that I added code such that filemnt could also be used at a console (no X) if any of the following console usable filemanagers were also installed: mc, nnn, vifm, or lfm

Furthermore, with X desktop use, I don't use pupmessage, but instead modified to use gxmessage.

Also it doesn't use gsu or gksu and expects sudo to be present and working (as it is in KLV-Airedale I believe) - that also means the right-click action desktop files should Exec=sudo filemnt %f

An alternative that installs other filemnt via xbps no doubt still works, but the console-capable filemnt 10gtkdialog is now available again (and I think working with right-click actions now) if you so wish.

To download the new 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs use the get_ script that you can find at this post as before:

https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org/viewto ... p=355#p355

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak Very nice! Although I just finished squashing the latest KLV rootfs a few minutes ago I will go back and add this in before I spin out a newer rootfs.

Further report on the "pseudo full install", all systems are indicating green lights, meaning all systems are a GO for launch. which now adds to the decision making flow chart.

P.S. I use a lot of rocketry terminology because one of my younger brothers is a real rocket scientist/engineer. Guidance control for Atlas, Titan and Delta heavy lift rockets for the United Launch Alliance.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right. Try the attached scripts (unzip first.)

Swap them over with the existing ones in Chrome-portable. Also, add the attached 'box_splash'.gz (remove the fake .gz.....and stick it in /usr/lib/gtkdialog); this just gives you a splash notification that a Menu entry has been added or removed, depending on the operation.

Doesn't display like it does in Puppy, but then I suspect this is to do with the differences between how GTK2 and GTK3 work.....wiak noticed this earlier in the thread, when he was modifying WeX's GUI for KLV. I just lifted this straight from Fossapup64; it might benefit from the use of some of the other gtkdialog scripts, but this works on its own, so.....

Let me know if that does what you want. It should run through the normal routine in Puppy, running fixmenus, then asking if you want to restart 'X' now or later.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
box_splash.gz
Remove fake .gz, drop into /usr/lib/gtdialog
(9.9 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Scripts.tar.gz
Unzip, swap with existing scripts in Chrome-portable...
(612 Bytes) Downloaded 20 times

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh Works! I added and subtracted the menu entries then added the menu entry again. Worked flawlessly. I also modified the .desktop file to put it in the right menu group.

Both this Chrome and the ungoogled-Chrome portables are working well and are very responsive in KLV-Airedale. Then did the same thing in a Puppy Linux Fossapup64 and the same setup Chrome started and ran from the menu, with all bookmarks and customization's the same whether running on Puppy or KLV.

Good Stuff. Posting from it now.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:48 pm

Further report on the "pseudo full install", all systems are indicating green lights, meaning all systems are a GO for launch. which now adds to the decision making flow chart.

Yes, I'm using "pseudo full install" method whilst rebuilding my WDL_Arch64 system. In between times I use w_changes=RAM2 for testing things out without saving session at all. I'm finding the pseudo install method really speeds up my development work (along with non-save RAM2 mode in between updates for testing new ideas) since I can see the results straight away without having to do a mount_chroot followed by umount_chroot method.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:

I slightly recall someone uploading a filemnt xbps fix (Fred)?

Yes, but single script attached here: viewtopic.php?p=46482#p46482 , fix for if the mountpoint (empty folder in /mnt) already exists in the changes.

Also, a fix for "filemnt"
A bit annoying that it fails to mount the chosen .sfs IF the directory/mountpoint in /mnt already exists (leftover from earlier session)
Fixed by checking if directory is empty (rather than if it exists)

Don't know if you fixed it in your newest version.

EDIT: FYI, it's this line: if [ ! -d "$MntPt" ] ;then
that I changed to: if [ ! "$(ls -A "$MntPt")" ]; then # fredx181, check if mountpoint empty

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 I am wondering now if I missed putting in the code for the swap into the main rootfs.......

@wiak

reading quickly about the new Slackware release I ran across the bit about Slack being built from a "master script".

Wonder if they have the awesomeness of build scripts run by recipes?

wiak

Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:38 am

A bit annoying that it fails to mount the chosen .sfs IF the directory/mountpoint in /mnt already exists (leftover from earlier session)

No, it was something else altogether related to detecting if in X or not. I changed what I had to checking if DISPLAY variable was null or not and that worked, but nothing to do with correcting for left-over /mnt mountpoint, so I'll put in your fix and re-upload the 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs soonish (within the hour I'd say - late here and time for bed, but I'll put matchsticks in my eyes for one more hour...).

Thanks,

wiak

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

wiak wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:39 pm
fredx181 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:38 am

No, it was something else altogether related to detecting if in X or not. I changed what I had to checking if DISPLAY variable was null or not and that worked, but nothing to do with correcting for left-over /mnt mountpoint, so I'll put in your fix and re-upload the 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs soonish (within the hour I'd say - late here and time for bed, but I'll put matchsticks in my eyes for one more hour...).

Thanks,

wiak

OK, hopefully done correctly. I incorporated the fixes you suggested Fred. I didn't include new version of filemnt-thunar (where you put thunar as top choice), but instead changed the code such that if no pcmanfm installed the next filemanager that becomes default filemanager is thunar (if no pcmanfm nor thunar than rox becomes the default filemanager). As before, you can download the latest 10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64.sfs via the get_WDL_10gtkdialogGTK3_filemnt64_sfs.sh.tar script (remove dummy tar) at below link:

https://weedoglinux.rockedge.org/viewto ... p=355#p355

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

darry19662018

Timezone and Time and Date

Post by darry19662018 »

Been running this on my Compaq cq61 interesting system. Got on line everything seems to work just wondered how to change timezone and time?

Return to “Specialized”