Hey!

How to use Proton VPN in Easy? :?:

From Dmitry (Russia)

williwaw

Re: How to use Proton VPN in Easy?

Post by williwaw »

if you are updated to 3.1.10 or later, see
https://bkhome.org/news/202111/kernel-5 ... l-snd.html

I did use wireguard with mulvad a while back with a kernel @allendiggity compiled. mulvad supplied a simple script that worked well.

you might look at https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-enable ... protonvpn/ if you think you need an app to connect the proton way, but from what I understand, manual configuration is not that hard, at least with most vpn's. I am not sure if proton makes thing more complicated than they need to be as they have added extra "features" to their implementation of wireguard on their end

Airdale

Post by Airdale »

I tried the allendiggity kernel for Wireguard before (used Mozilla with Mozwire to download a configuration file). Worked with EasyOS without a problem. Now apparently Easy will be compatible with Wireguard without having to update the kernel.

However, I'm not sure that you can download a Wireguard configuration file from ProtonVPN yet.

I tried a couple times to install the protonvpn official app in the past and always ran into troubles. So I ended up installing openvpn and downloading the configuration files from protonvpn.

I then installed the little app OscarTalks wrote called vpn-onoff. Its a pet written for puppy but works fine in Easy

So now protonvpn uses the openvpn protocol with a nice little GUI to turn it on and off.

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

A basic way to connect is to use OpenVPN. I'll go over a manual way of connecting to ProtonVPN, so that it is easy to check if there are connection problems.

1. Verify OpenVPN is installed
    openvpn --version

2. If OpenVPN is not installed on your computer, you can install it via Puppy Package Manager

3. From your ProtonVPN account, download your .opvn file

4. Open the "Terminal" app and type the following (changing what is in bold)
    openvpn /root/path_to_file.ovpn

5. Put in your ProtonVPN credentials when prompted, like the following

Code: Select all

Enter Auth Username:
Enter Auth Password:

Messages will appear in Terminal, and you will be connected to the VPN. Leave Terminal running. When you are done using your ProtonVPN connection, type Ctrl-C in Terminal. Then you can close the Terminal window.

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

Return to “EasyOS”