Ramachandra Iyer

WYSIWYG HTML software

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

Any WYSIWYG HTML free software available for creating website

snoring_cat

Re: WYSIWYG HTML software

Post by snoring_cat »

Hi Ramachandra Iyer,

I am not what you mean by HTML free. Here are some suggestions based on different possible meanings.

• If you want to create free online HTML pages that are super lightweight, where you use Markdown syntax, not HTML syntax, then sites like https://bearblog.dev/ might be of value

• If you want a free WYSIWYG HTML editor, then the Seamonkey browser includes one. You can download Seamonkey via the Puppy Package Manager menu option (if Seamonkey is not already installed in your Puppy Linux)

• You can create a local Blog or Wiki on your computer (that is not by default internet accessible) by installing pPlog or Didiwiki. Those apps might be already installed in your Puppy Linux, so please check your Menus

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:50 pm

Any WYSIWYG HTML free software available for creating website

Well.....I don't know; I could be wrong. But I believe there's a WYSIWYG editor as part of the SeaMonkey browser/email suite. Don't use it myself - never really got on with SeaMonkey, TBH - maybe others can confirm?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

There's also KompoZer, free WYSIWYG HTML editor, IIRC it is the same as the one included
in SeaMonkey. Could be wrong about that though. It's also in 16bit, just download the tar
file and extract to your applications. Search for it using your favorite search engine.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I think MikeWalsh is referring to Kompozer, https://kompozer.net/download/. It is only available as 32-bit, but will run OOTB under 64-bit Puppys if their 32-bit Compatibity SFSes are loaded.
Download, Unpack, place in /opt or on /mnt/home, file-browse into its folder and Left-Click the script named kompozer.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:16 pm

I think MikeWalsh is referring to Kompozer, https://kompozer.net/download/. It is only available as 32-bit, but will run OOTB under 64-bit Puppys if their 32-bit Compatibity SFSes are loaded.
Download, Unpack, place in /opt or on /mnt/home, file-browse into its folder and Left-Click the script named kompozer.

@Wiz57 /@mikeslr :-

Yah, I couldn't for the life of me think of the name.....'Kompozer' sounds about right. However, investigation shows development on that ceased nearly a decade ago..? It's far from up-to-date.

Y'know, Mike, I remembered BlueGriffon. Somebody found an AppImage for it a while back. I dug around in my archives to locate it; d'you know, that version - 2.0 - dates back almost 5 years? So; it must have been 2 or 3 years old when it was first mentioned on the Forum.....

I had a squizz on the BlueGriffon site, and downloaded the current version, 3.1. I don't think it's being developed any more, either; even that's almost 2 years old. I'd forgotten just how big it is, too.....the AppImage is almost 380 MB in size. It's built around Firefox and its rendering engine, and contains something like 200-odd MB-worth of Java stuff in its 'chrome' sub-directory.

I had a go at turning the newest build into an AppImage, but for some reason it doesn't seem to want to build up into a new AppImage, even using Fred's scripts.

I've built it into one of my usual 'portable' apps - it works fine like that - but I really think you'd have to be desperate to want to use a WYSIWYG editor occupying nearly 400 MB! There again, we keep saying that far more copious dollops of RAM are becoming common-place in Puppy rigs/boxes, so.....I wouldn't like to say.

Should anyone fancy trying it, it's here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/WPgx1Iab#tFu_eUVhNqnyZ4kvGWWCwA

Be warned; it's 64-bit only, and for Bionicpup64 or newer (glibc 2.27 required). An attempt at building a 'tweaked' version flopped as well; I didn't pursue it, because every time it was seg-faulting.....and that indicates memory-address conflict issues. I usually give things up as a bad job when that starts to happen.....

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I also remembered Bluegriffon and took a look at the 64 and 32 bit folders where I keep portables and AppImages. I probably have the same 64bit you referred to. The latest offering on Bluegriffon's website is 64-bit only and requires glibc 2.31, thus only for Fossapup and similarly new Puppys.
Mine are in portable format. I do have a 32-bit. But where I got it isn't obvious. The version I quickly found, 3.01, wouldn't run; while my portable did.

Edit:
Found out why. My portable is version 1.7.2. And it's only 37Mb packed.

@ Ramachandra Iyer, if you really need it for a 32-bit system let me know and I'll try to track down where mine came from. Edit: forget that. Searched a lot :roll: , couldn't find it. If you --or anyone-- need(s) it, I'll upload it.

Edit 2: I retract my offer. :lol: An even newer version of a functional 32-bit bluegriffon can be downloaded from here, http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/2.3.1/. Download either the deb or the tar.gz. Right-Click then UExtract it. Move the bluegriffon folder within the extraction folder to /opt, or /mn/home or wherever you like. Essentially, its a portable. File-browse into that folder and Left-Click the either of the two bluegriffin binaries.

Last edited by mikeslr on Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Okay; here's one completely at t'other end of the scale.

A 'portable' version of the 32-bit Kompozer download Mike mentioned earlier. Self-contained with its own profile.....just like the 'zilla browsers. 12 MB tarball, 34 MB unpacked.

D/l; unzip; place it wherever you want (best outside the 'save'). Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. Scripts will allow the addition of a Menu entry from wherever you've placed it, if required.

(If required in a 64-bit Pup, the 32-bit_compat_libs SFS will need to be loaded first, followed by running

Code: Select all

ldconfig

.....in a terminal (& wait for the prompt - '#' - to return before closing it again)).

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

See the last edit to my prior post for link to a portable version of bluegriffon version 2.3.1 32-bit.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Are you willing to run a VirtualBox machine? If one would run Windows XP in a VirtualBox machine and then use Web Page Maker from here -> http://www.webpage-maker.com/download.html

It's ancient but is really a powerful tool once the tricks become apparent. It's as close as true WYSIWYG html page creator as I've ever worked with. Just don't use the Flash components.

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 am

Mine are in portable format. I do have a 32-bit. But where I got it isn't obvious. The version I quickly found, 3.01, wouldn't run; while my portable did.

Edit:
Found out why. My portable is version 1.7.2. And it's only 37Mb packed.
Edit 2: I retract my offer. :lol: An even newer version of a functional 32-bit bluegriffon can be downloaded from here, http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/2.3.1/.

I once wrote a program to auto-make a static blog (static means 'FAST' - not using the likes of php to dynamically alter pages but instead to quickly rebuild static html for web or blog site changes): https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=112046

With that I used to use bluegriffon a LOT... though using it was optional.

However, I had two versions of bluegriffon at the time: 1.7.2 and 2.3.1 (which had some features that needed license paid for to work). In usage I discovered and noted:

I recommend older bluegriffon version 1.7.2 (provides functionality no longer free in currrent bluegriffon) - i.e. more functionality in 1.7.2 than in 2.3.1

2.3.1 was the 'current' version back at that time.

I haven't used bluegriffon in a long time (though still have a folder containing 1.7.2 on my system) since I later started using more full-on static Website/Blog builder frameworks, usually using markdown and configured via the likes of JSON, TOML and YAML (sounds complicated but isn't), rather than hand-coding (even via WYSIWYG helper programs such as bluegriffon). Believe it or not, it is much easier to use static website builder frameworks than manually create via the likes of bluegriffon, though on rare occasions I do tweak the static html a little and very occasionally a bit of CSS (but not required to do so really). Jekyll is a popular static website builder framework (but there are many others); in fact fredx181 uses Jekyll to 'make/power' the DebianDog site: https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

But for playing with html/css, bluegriffon was certainly pretty good back then when I used it anyway.

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Well, that's amazing...

The latest release of EasyOS, 3.1.11, has BOTH SeaMonkey and Firefox.
I am including FF, because SM is failing on so many sites. But, I still use the SM WYSIWYG editor, so didn't want to give up SM.

I wondered about replacing SM with BlueGriffon, but didn't get around to looking into it. Until today, reading this thread. The SM binary package, English only, is 51.2MB:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/ ... fell64.pet

The EasyOS 3.1.11 download is getting too big, 592MB, so I am interested in a WYSIWYG editor that is smaller than SM.

So, I downloaded BlueGriffon version 1.0, from 2011, x86_64, from here:

http://bluegriffon.org/freshmeat/1.0/

...the tarball is only 20MB.

I expanded it at /usr/lib/bluegriffon, and edited /usr/lib/bluegriffon/bluegriffon, changed one line:

moz_libdir=/usr/lib/bluegriffon

Then ran it:

# /usr/lib/bluegriffon/bluegriffon

...it works!

Furthermore, /usr/lib/bluegriffon/distributions/extensions has language packs. 6M and they are zipped. So take them out, and the tarball becomes just 14MB.

EDIT:
Correction, the language packs are .xpi files and not zipped. I ran gzip on them, got about half size, so taking them out would only reduce the tarball by 3MB.

Hmm, I see it also has dictionary files, could replace them with symlinks to system dictionaries, making it even smaller.

I only need a simple WYSIWYG editor, BlueGriffon 1.0 will do the job.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Okey-doke, gang.

Here's a couple more portables; both 32-bit:-

• BlueGriffon 1.7.2, and

• BlueGriffon 2.3.1

The newer one for those who must have the latest version possible, and 1.7.2 for those who, like Will, found it actually had more (or better) features than 2.3.1.

(1.7.2 was in fact quite easy to locate. Using Mike's link from above, just go up one level into the 'Parent' directory, then scroll down for the 1.7.2 directory. Simple.)

You can find 'em both here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/efhhzCRa#jRN9pTIFkMIgHK958bf5Eg

Hope they come in useful for some of you. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh Excellent! Never used BlueGriffon before, but definitely nifty. There are times I need to throw quickly html pages together and this program will come in really handy!

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

Another option is that AbiWord, which should be included with PuppyLinux, can open and save HTML files as well.

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

Ramachandra Iyer

I have installed BlueGriffon provided by Shri snoring_cat on Fossapup64 and hope to serve my purpose.
The composer of seamonkey is just basic html.

Last edited by Ramachandra Iyer on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramachandra Iyer

rockedge wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:04 am

Are you willing to run a VirtualBox machine? If one would run Windows XP in a VirtualBox machine and then use Web Page Maker from here -> http://www.webpage-maker.com/download.html

It's ancient but is really a powerful tool once the tricks become apparent. It's as close as true WYSIWYG html page creator as I've ever worked with. Just don't use the Flash components.

I have just installed windows 10. It is good. However, only 15 days trail !

Return to “REQUESTS”