HP Printer Drivers hplip.sfs created and tested in Fossapup64

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

HP Printer Drivers hplip.sfs created and tested in Fossapup64

Post by geo_c »

I made a working 64bit sfs version of hplip which is HP's comprehensive linux CUPS driver package.

Tested and used extensively with my HP Officejet Pro 9020, working flawlessly in Fossapup64. Simply mount the sfs and the drivers show up in CUPS when adding or managing a printer.

hplip.sfs can be found here:
https://mega.nz/file/vXpWBbZD#ZtycHGfAO ... VXVugS6ChI

md5 hash and other sfs files found here:
https://mega.nz/folder/reoShDjA#ONbUYMfog9J7AWe9RVe2Uw

Thanks to all who helped me with scripts, especially @mikeslr

Let me know if you try it, how it works in different puppy versions.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

oui

Re: HP Printer Drivers hplip.sfs created and tested in Fossapup64

Post by oui »

Thank you very much for the sfs! I did install through the net interface FritzBox (Germany) my excellent printer HP Color Laser 150a (is initially a Samsung printer saled by the new owner HP under it's own name).

The error message is filter failed.

Attachments
HpColorLaser150a.jpg
HpColorLaser150a.jpg (34.39 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

oui wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:25 pm

Thank you very much for the sfs! I did install through the net interface FritzBox (Germany) my excellent printer HP Color Laser 150a (is initially a Samsung printer saled by the new owner HP under it's own name).

The error message is filter failed.

To be clear, you installed your 150a using the hplip.sfs and the filter failed. Do I understand correctly? Are you using this hplip.sfs in Fossapup64.9.5?

Also, I am not familiar with FritzBox. Is that a network router that your printer is attached to?

geo_c

oui

Post by oui »

Yes, all is correct. But I did not above that this very good little laser printer only on the box a real HP is: It is a Samsung ware and as owner of Samsung, HP did give him the name HP :mrgreen: . It seems, that the integration as real HP ware is probably not finished?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

oui wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:24 pm

Yes, all is correct. But I did not above that this very good little laser printer only on the box a real HP is: It is a Samsung ware and as owner of Samsung, HP did give him the name HP :mrgreen: . It seems, that the integration as real HP ware is probably not finished?

I would think that if the 150A appears in the hplip list of printers, that it should be more or less functional. Whenever I install a network printer using CUPS, I make sure to turn off the Puppy firewall before running CUPS 'add printer' dialog. The printer then shows up as an option. The next screen usually has the correct driver listed first, if it's available.

Was your procedure similar to what I described?

geo_c

oui

Post by oui »

Hi

Thank you very much!

No. I never did that, because I did only have 2 printers in the last 20 years: a very little HP portable jet color printer and later a black/white laser from brother and did always only use the right *.ppd file to install without some cups filter package as it is the most simple, fast, and does not grow Puppy at all. Only what you need is to remaster with the ppd file in /root... so I don't know more complex installation's method at all.
but for that hp laser color 150 a (as well as the adequate samsung equivalent, I did not find until today some adequate *.ppd file :oops: ). As I have numerous old laptops to test and play with puppy's and have some one with MS windows and extremely rarely have to print documents out (*1 , until yet, if I have to print, I use an other laptop with windows and all goes automatic good and right - That is the real force of MS windows more than 25 years after Windows 95 and the first Linuxes did appear.

(*1 but as I did see, that this really cheap and EXTREMELY compact COLOR printer (it is exactly on the same surface as my precedent laser from Brother and this one also was very small!) but only a bit higher (3..5 cm higher) ) makes WONDERFUL print out from photos and pictures on simple white paper, that in big size for cheap, :mrgreen: , I did discover a completely new usage and need for printer: photos, pictures. After laminating (the pictures are after that like under glas for no money and fast - but it is absolutely no need: they are also without very smart), the big format pictures are really so beautiful! And no ink, no problem of that level...So since I have that printer I would really print out more as in the past...
I did zoom old pictures from 1930..1955 in very little size (the direct size of the old cameras!) and you can see that world now, of course B/W only, but in bigger size as in modern photography :thumbup2: :thumbup2: :thumbup2:
(only details as eyes can't not be really zoomed as it would be need; for that, you would probably need the negatives of the pictures and scan then in very high resolution, probably is a special equipment needing! I have for my last HP scanner for my last real in use being Windows computer for about 20 years (this scanner is transparent so you can scan piece after piece all a big surface of wall picture, school class maps etc as you see exactly which part of the full picture you are scanning now, but this scanner did need MS windows and I did never use it in Linux (I abandon MS windows completely more that 15 years ago! Windows were only for me the only one way to be compatible with the imposed Office software. As I am retired since 12 y. I don't did need Windows any more after that! For this scanner of HP only for Windows, I would have a supplementary tool from HP named «Regulatory Model: GRLYB-031 made to scan really slides 36 x 24 mm to convert then for computer use but with what zoom ability after that, I don't know... And I will not return to MS Windows!)
With pictures mastering tools like gimp etc. you can print out pictures better as the originals (but, ok, not so authentic!)

Return to “Drivers”