Xfe_1.43.2.sfs created and tested in Fossapup64

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Xfe_1.43.2.sfs created and tested in Fossapup64

Post by geo_c »

I made a working 64bit sfs version of Xfe_1.4.

Tested and used extensively, working flawlessly in Fossapup64.

NOTE: The Xfe two pane file manager consists of the Xfe file browser, Xfw text editor, and Xfi image viewer. I often use Xfw to view text or do quick edits, but my Xfe file browser is set to associate text files with Geany, as the file associations can be set to any executable available on the system. I don't find the Xfi image viewer particularly useful, but it does allow image viewing, whereas the Xfe two pane file manager does not have a preview window built in, instead, the default association for image files is Xfi. I prefer to associate image files to other viewers like Viewnior. These two applications, Xfwrite and Xfimage come standard with the Xfe package found in the puppy package manager, which I used to create this sfs version, and menu entries are added to the puppy menu in the Documents, Graphic, and Utility categories respectively. It seems a third program with a menu entry is added, which is Xfpack, possibly a package manager, but it does not boot in my Fossapup64, as it fails to find the file from the menu entry.

Xfe_1.4 can be found here:
https://mega.nz/file/6XoyWbCR#xuWvjvHzF ... GrZTY0IpIA

md5 hash and other sfs files found here:
https://mega.nz/folder/reoShDjA#ONbUYMfog9J7AWe9RVe2Uw

Thanks to all who helped me with scripts, especially @mikeslr

Let me know if you try it, how it works in different puppy versions.

Last edited by geo_c on Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 11 times in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Xfe_1.4.sfs tested in Fossapup64

Post by rockedge »

I have tested Xfe_1.4.sfs in a WDL-Void-xfce4-rc5 which is a WeeDog build based on Void Linux. To load simply renamed xfe_1.4.sfs to 12xfe_1.4.sfs allowing the package to load during boot up.

Screenshot_2021-11-19_09-25-06.png
Screenshot_2021-11-19_09-25-06.png (34.65 KiB) Viewed 1465 times

Fully appears in the menus automatically and is ready to run. Screenshot depicts the Xfe SFS and XAMPP SFS, both contributed by members of the Puppy Linux community and found on this forum, started on WDL-Void-xfce4-rc5 running from a frugal install on a 500 Gig USB HDD attached to a DELL PowerEdge R210 II.

@wiak after some tests it seems quite a few Puppy Linux SFS packages run OTB on this WDL-Void-xfce4

Screenshot_2021-11-19_15-09-06.png
Screenshot_2021-11-19_15-09-06.png (206.89 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Screenshot_2021-11-19_15-27-06.png
Screenshot_2021-11-19_15-27-06.png (63.3 KiB) Viewed 1453 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:07 pm

I have tested Xfe_1.4.sfs in a WDL-Void-xfce4-rc5 which is a WeeDog build based on Void Linux. To load simply renamed xfe_1.4.sfs to 12xfe_1.4.sfs allowing the package to load during boot up.

Fully appears in the menus automatically and is ready to run. Screenshot depicts the Xfe SFS and XAMPP SFS, both contributed by members of the Puppy Linux community and found on this forum, started on WDL-Void-xfce4-rc5 running from a frugal install on a 500 Gig USB HDD attached to a DELL PowerEdge R210 II.

@wiak after some tests it seems quite a few Puppy Linux SFS packages run OTB on this WDL-Void-xfce4

Yes, that's a useful resource.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Loaded it in my install of Fossapup64 9.5
Seems to be working OK.
Noticed it puts some other programs in the menu>Utility

May want to provide some info, about them, in the first post of this topic.

I assume, by the subject of this topic, this is 64bit software.
Would be good idea to say that in the first post.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Grey

Post by Grey »

bigpup wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:31 am

I removed "extra" items from the main menu in this version. It is a text editor and picture viewer. They can be used separately from Xfe, but are intended to be used inside Xfe itself. There is also a "package manager", but it is unlikely that we are interested in it.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Loaded it in my install of Fossapup64 9.5
Seems to be working OK.

I assume, by the subject of this topic, this is 64bit software.
Would be good idea to say that in the first post.

I added a note about the other two applications. They are quite small and I have always left them where they are. I downloaded the package from the puppy package manager from Fossapup64, so I can only assume that the package is 64bit, but I don't know for sure that it isn't 32bit compatible. Where do I look to figure that out?

geo_c

Grey

Post by Grey »

geo_c wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:51 am

from the puppy package manager from Fossapup64

If from PPM, then this is 64-bit version 1.43.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

bigpup

Re: Xfe_1.4.sfs created and tested in Fossapup64

Post by bigpup »

I looked at the files in the SFS package you made.
Right click on one and select properties.
It will tell you the type of file.

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

Forum Global Moderator

Grey

Post by Grey »

And not only in Utility. Pay attention to Menu>>Document. Most likely there are two items at once and one of them duplicates itself from the Utility. And in Graphic, Filesystem and System too.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Programs added all over the place :thumbup: :D

Forum Global Moderator

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Now then, gang; a query.

I've just put together a .pet package for jrb's 'lite' spin on Barry's old Quirky64 'April' 7.0.1 - the .deb package wouldn't load here, so I rebuilt it as a .pet. Got the requisite date-sensitive files (this is Tahrpup-era, so around 2014/2015) from www.old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool (the main historical archives for Canonical; they never chuck anything anyway.....they've got stuff in here dating all the way back to 2004's 'Warty Warthog', so it's a good resource if you need to match anything 'buntu-based to a particular time/date-slot).

I digress.

It all runs fine, but after dismissing the 'Running as root' warning, it then insists it's 'Unable to load some icons. Check your icon /path...'. It all fires up and runs nicely, but there is a noticeable lack of icons along the toolbars. I've installed every icon that came with the .deb package, so, er.....what am I missing, guys?

------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- Typical Canonical. Of course, where we tend to try and build a package to be totally self-contained with everything necessary to run, Canonical, like most other mainstream distros, separate everything out into separate tiny little .deb packages, scattered all round the repos, for virtually every individual aspect of any app you care to name. Perhaps it's more efficient for them (and of course, a good package manager will have no problems locating everything), but it's a bloody nightmare tracking it all down manually..! Jeez.....

Long story short, I needed the 'themes' package. Everything I was missing is in there. :thumbup: Certainly is configurable, this thing.....and incredibly lightweight for what it is. Warrants some time invested, methinks....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:52 am

It all runs fine, but after dismissing the 'Running as root' warning, it then insists it's 'Unable to load some icons. Check your icon /path...'. It all fires up and runs nicely, but there is a noticeable lack of icons along the toolbars. I've installed every icon that came with the .deb package, so, er.....what am I missing, guys?

Long story short, I needed the 'themes' package. Everything I was missing is in there. :thumbup: Certainly is configurable, this thing.....and incredibly lightweight for what it is. Warrants some time invested, methinks....

Mike. ;)

All I know is the Fossapup64 ppm pet package installs the following icons in /usr/share/xfe/icons/

/gnome-theme
/gnomeblue-theme
/kde-theme
/tango-theme
/windows-theme
/xfe-theme

I tried to add another theme from the XFCE website, but it didn't work. Perhaps you could download the package from Fossapup PPM and see if you can rip the icons from it.

geo_c

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Mike, check this link for some helpful stuff about XFE

viewtopic.php?t=3733

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c / @wizard :-

Geo_c - Ah, there's one thing you need to remember. I have huge amounts of RAM here, and massive amounts of storage. Since this is just playing around for me - I'm using Quirky in precisely the spirit Barry originally intended it for! - having got it working, I'm not too bothered about "tidying it up", and making it smaller & neater.

I could quite possibly throw a .pet or SFS together if wanted; it's simple enough to do. This is 1.3.7, though, NOT the current 1.4.....although that would potentially make it more widely functional under a greater range of Pups/puplets, since it doesn't need anything like the amount of 'latest & greatest' stuff.

-----------------------------

wizard - I've made use of your two scripts from the first post. Thanks for those. Since I'm not specifically after a set, "default" file-manager (and also don't want multiple launchers on the desktop, but don't want to dig through the Menu either), I've built a wee, YAD-powered 'selector' GUI; when I click on 'Files', I get the choice to open either ROX or XFE.....

[Click to enlarge;-]

Well, it works for me..... :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Re: Xfe_1.43.2.sfs created and tested in Fossapup64

Post by geo_c »

NOTE: changed the title to reflect the precise version of Xfe: 1.43.2 as @wizard pointed out to me that significant changes (integrated search added) were made after version 1.42.

geo_c

Return to “Filesystem”