Strawberry Music Player

Moderator: Forum moderators

stevie pup

Strawberry Music Player

Post by stevie pup »

Is there any way I can install Strawberry Music Player in a Puppy, any Puppy? It is available in the repos for Debian, OpenSuse, Fedora, Mageia and there's a PPA for Ubuntu, so I was hoping it wasn't going to be that difficult, but it's looking like I could be wrong.

Now somehow I just know that someone, somewhere, is going to produce a list of all the alternatives I could try. Well thanks but no thanks, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm well aware there are hundreds of music players available, and I've tried an awful lot of them. My music collection consists of approx 8,000 tracks, which quite a few music players can't handle. I also note that showing album artwork smaller than a postage stamp is a common trend, which I don't like. And please don't anyone suggest Clementine, yes I know Strawberry is a fork of Clementine but it hasn't been updated in years and the last time I tried it some of the functions didn't work properly.

Bottom line is that Strawberry is my preference, so what are my chances?

Grey

Re: Strawberry Music Player

Post by Grey »

stevie pup wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:45 pm

Strawberry Music Player in a Puppy

I made a pet for Fossapup. But I can't post it. Because the program works, but not well enough. Everything is too tied to GStreamer. To work with the Radio, you can use the VLC engine instead of GStreamer, but there are a few more unpleasant moments in other functions.
Conclusion: compilation with certain parameters is necessary, for a specific version of Puppy.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Strawberry 1.0

Post by Grey »

Strawberry Music Player in a Puppy, any Puppy?

There was a magnetic storm yesterday, so I had a headache. But now I tried to make a pet for Strawberry 1.0 (Fossapup 64b).

Even 2 versions. Test it:
1. Without Radio support. Only music from your collection or other sources.
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/86Znb6ogWdFm2A
2. The "full" version, although the size is the same. During installation, downloads and installs the "bad plugin" for gstreamer from Ubuntu servers. Thanks to this, Radio built into the player works.
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/UiuiQeKKWXPnDg

Menu>>Multimedia>>Strawberry
You can collapse the program into the system tray and control it through the icon.
Pay attention to the sound setting. Tools>>Settings>>Backend. The Wrapper should find your sound card by itself. But if you have a lot of sound cards or devices, then change the wrapper to Output to ALSA and select your device:

strawberry_wrapper.png
strawberry_wrapper.png (65.33 KiB) Viewed 1443 times

I think Audacious and Qmmp players are better (and of course Deadbeef).
But in Strawberry I liked that the lyrics of Russian songs from the 90s automatically appear. I didn't ask him - I know the lyrics from memory - but it's nice :)

Strawberry_0.jpg
Strawberry_0.jpg (134.66 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Strawberry_1.jpg
Strawberry_1.jpg (121.08 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

Grey wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:57 am

There was a magnetic storm yesterday, so I had a headache. But now I tried to make a pet for Strawberry 1.0 (Fossapup 64b).

Even 2 versions. Test it:
1. Without Radio support. Only music from your collection or other sources.
2. The "full" version, although the size is the same. During installation, downloads and installs the "bad plugin" for gstreamer from Ubuntu servers. Thanks to this, Radio built into the player works.

I think Audacious and Qmmp players are better (and of course Deadbeef).

Thank you for this Grey, I will give it a try, although probably won't be until weekend when I've got some more time to spare. I tried Audacious some time ago but didn't like it (can't remember why), and I also wasn't keen on Deadbeef, but I can't remember why that was either. Never tried Qmmp. Been a while since I tried any other music players as I've been happy with Strawberry, and once I find something I'm happy with I stick with it.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

Grey wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:57 am

I'm assuming your pet's will only work with Fossapup? If so I'm afraid there's going to be a delay in trying it, as I'm having a few issues with Fossapup at present. I haven't used Fossapup for a while, (there were problems last time I tried it) and have been using BionicPup and BusterPup. I'll come back to it when I can.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I've got around to trying it and it works, thank you so much. I used the No Radio version, as I don't use any of the radio stuff, and it does all I want it to do. All I've got to do now is get to the bottom of the FossaPup issues, which I'll start a new thread about if I get stuck.

Return to “REQUESTS”