Fotoxx photo editor - AppImage, packed in 'portable' format...64-bit ONLY

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Fotoxx photo editor - AppImage, packed in 'portable' format...64-bit ONLY

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, kiddiwinks.

Being something of a design nut, I've long appreciated Fotoxx's ability to modify images in all sorts of weird & wonderful ways. It is, however, one app that's not that easy to find useable packages that work for us here in Puppy.

The other night, I came across what seems to be a fairly recent AppImage over at AppImageHub.....so I grabbed it, and did some experimenting with it. Seems to work fine with Xenialpup64, Bionicpup64 and Fossapup64, at any rate.

Fotoxx insists on creating a "thumbnail database" of your image collection; if you don't let it, it won't fire-up. There perhaps IS a way - I seem to recall this was possible with older releases, though that option seems to have been removed in this recent build - but since I have so much storage space, I've let it go ahead and do this anyway.

A word of caution (and a bit of advice, too..!) This is one app that will definitely benefit from being run in 'portable' mode. If you have a large collection of images, as I do, the 'thumbnails' directory inside /root/.fotoxx can grow to enormous proportions (mine currently stands at almost 260 MB, representing some 35,000+ images.)

And of course, this doesn't do the 'save' any favours. So, as usual, the main 'fotoxx' config file is created & maintained within the 'portable' directory - thumbnails included - only being sym-linked out to /root/.fotoxx at run time. The sym-link is removed again at close.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If anybody likes the sound of this, you can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/mCpEUSRK#gfBcKOCe5y85d1DazOvQqA

Usual instructions apply. D/l; unzip; move anywhere you like.....preferably, outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. A Menu entry can be created IF required. Simple.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

TiredPup

Re: Fotoxx photo editor - AppImage, packed in 'portable' format...64-bit ONLY

Post by TiredPup »

With portable app extracted to /mnt/home I get this error on launch:

./LAUNCH
/initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/.mount_6BhoZK/usr/bin/fotoxx: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgdk-3.so.0: undefined symbol: wl_proxy_marshal_constructor_versioned

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Mike, for Fotoxx appimage I have this error as the previous user I believe.
My SO is Bookworm in test.

mikecornelison

Post by mikecornelison »

The fotoxx index is for both thumbnails and metadata.
It is necessary for thumbnail galleries and search functions (search using any metadata)
The index is typically 2% as large as your image collection.
On a strong computer, indexing speed is up to 10K images per minute, and this is a 1-time investment.
The current appimage can be found at kornelix.net

Return to “Graphics”