Show Us Your Desktop..!!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Show Us Your Desktop

Post by mikewalsh »

mohittomar13 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:31 pm My desktop. I like it this way. :D Actually I don't know how to modify it :lol: :lol:
Depends how you want to 'modify' it. What would you like to do with it?

Backgrounds can be downloaded from any Google or DuckDuckGo search. You can specify what images you're looking for; me, I like abstract stuff, specified by colour combinations.....but you can search for virtually anything. "PNG images for xxxxxx/whatever subject matter" should come up with a selection to browse through (you may need to select the 'Images' tab in your search engine; this doesn't always automatically open). Try to pick one the same pixel dimensions as your monitor, and always go for PNG; these usually work best.

Having downloaded it, place it in /usr/share/backgrounds. You can then select it via the desktop background setting tool in JWM Desk Manager (Menu->Desktop->JWM Desk Manager).

If you're feeling adventurous, you can do what I do, and use any one of a number of graphics editing programs to 'modify' it further, before putting it into use.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

davidresponde

Post by davidresponde »

I Love my Puppy Linux !!!
Bionic 64 bits
With Portuguese Language.
GTK and JWM Themes = Numix
Icon Theme = Papirusku
... and all necessary to be happy! :P
Attachments
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (96.66 KiB) Viewed 25515 times
nic007

Post by nic007 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:58 pm @nic007 :-
nic007 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:20 am I think the background of the application is theme dependent. I'm using a modern theme with that Precise desktop. Background is not grey but same colour as the taskbar... But I see you changed it, enlighten us.
Oh, just a simple edit in /root/jwmrc-tray.....down near the bottom. For instance:-

Original from DPup Stretch 7.5:-

Code: Select all

<Swallow name="xload" width="40">xload -nolabel -bg "#3f6fa9"</Swallow>
.....which becomes:-

<Swallow name="xload" width="160">xload -nolabel -bg "#050303" -fg "#07F608" -hl "#050303" -update 1 &</Swallow>
-Bg & -fg are self-explanatory; -hl is the colour of the graph "lines" on the y-axis. 'Update' is set to every second...

Mike. ;)
Ah, okay. A bit like the time format one can also change in the tray file. :thumbup2:
sc0ttman

Post by sc0ttman »

Do we have a thread to show off our terminal setups? :D
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

sc0ttman wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:38 pm Do we have a thread to show off our terminal setups? :D
Not so far as I'm aware, Sc0tty.....but there's absolutely no reason why you couldn't start one..!

Mike. ;)

puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

My current setup with jwm tray and a very minimal cairo-dock. Both auto hide so don't reserve space but are always avilable. jwm taskbar set to 1 pixel so it does not show. pop down system tray and pop up zooming dock bar is the ideal combo for me...
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (493.44 KiB) Viewed 25433 times
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

https://postimg.cc/McjChdzP

as mastered (minus all those drives + catty corner trash): https://sourceforge.net/projects/xenialpup64-with-xfce/

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

puddlemoon wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:46 pm ... and pop up zooming dock bar is the ideal combo for me...
Can you clarify what you mean by pop up zooming dock bar pls? Any chance of an amimated .gif or similar? Cheers!
user1111

Post by user1111 »

Suspect wbar like 'mac' style. A row of icons where the icons near the mouse cursor 'expand'.

http://lxlinux.com/wbar.html
user1111

Post by user1111 »

I like a dark themed desktop - with two black cats fighting in a coal cellar background :)

# cat menu.lst
timeout 3
default 0
title Pugdog
kernel /vmlinuz vga=0x3D2

# stat vmlinuz
File: /vmlinuz
Size: 5467696

(i.e. initrd and firmware/modules all contained within (built into) the 5.2MB vmlinuz).

With that (framebuffer based terminal) I can wifi net connect and vnc (through a encrypted/compressed ssh tunnel) into whatever OS/picturesque chosen/available. Or mount/overlay whatever sfs's and chroot into that layered filesystem/gui desktop.

Less ... is more.
Last edited by user1111 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@puddlemoon one thing I miss in my XFCE is your horizontal JWM drives and the right-click menu.

I use 'unmount all mounted partitions' every JWM session.

In my distro they're vertical and the partition menu only has a few entries.

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

taersh wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:52 pm I have ten (10) desktops. Each one has its own wallpaper and icon setup.
They are switched by keyboard shortcuts and/or menu entry.
@taersh kurz, what tools are you using for desktop switching?

Linux Über Alles

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@JASpup :-

I used to use rg66's XFCE-based take on micko's 'classic Slacko 5.7.0 - X-Slacko 2.3.2. I always found that if you moved the drive icons down to the bottom in a horizontal line, they would stay there.....after you tweaked the desktop icon sizes a wee bit.

At the time I was using a fairly old Dell pNp 1024x768 monitor my bro had 'donated' when he treated himself to an iMac 'Pro' with the 27" monitor, so.....with a wider, higher-res screen your mileage may vary. It's "do-able", though.

Mike. ;)

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I'm interested to know how it can be customized. I think JWM has more desktop icon formatting options. I'm currently always booting a live session, so it wouldn't save horizontal drive icons. Seeing the level of customization in this puplet, however, I'm sure there are a lot of options I don't know about.

I want them there, hiding the system recovery partitions, but my priority right now is things like archiving and basic functioning. If there's some other way to do it, that's good enough right now.

Linux Über Alles

puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

@greengeek , yes it is indeed a wbar like dock. cairodock is far greedier but I find it acceptable. here's a crappy gif
dock.gif
dock.gif (487.47 KiB) Viewed 26239 times
@rufwoof lol. I do aspire to your minimalism but... bit by bit. :arrow:

@JASpup the puppy event handler allows you to set the placement and offset of the drive icons
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

JASpup wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:25 pm I'm interested to know how it can be customized. I think JWM has more desktop icon formatting options. I'm currently always booting a live session, so it wouldn't save horizontal drive icons. Seeing the level of customization in this puplet, however, I'm sure there are a lot of options I don't know about.

I want them there, hiding the system recovery partitions, but my priority right now is things like archiving and basic functioning. If there's some other way to do it, that's good enough right now.
That tends to be MY approach as well. Get all the basic functionality set-up the way you want it first, so that everything works the way you WANT it to. Then you can play around with customizing stuff like appearance later.

I've been doing this for quite a few years, and have developed a layout that I like, can live with, and which works for me. If you hang around the kennels for long enough (and you're showing every sign that you WILL :thumbup: ), you'll see screenies of my desktops from time to time. Barring colour schemes, different backgrounds, etc, you'll notice they all follow broadly the same layout.....including my home-made 'docks' - just 'drawn' directly onto the wallpaper. I use these to help me group things together.

I have a directory with, currently, nearly 600 PNG icons collected from 1000s of web-searches over the years. If I can't find something I like, I'll make one. I have another directory full of nothing but custom-made MenuEntries, so I can link any Pup into an externally-mounted partition with loads of portable apps that I share between Pups, and means I can quickly populate the Menu with useful launchers.

On top of all that, I have copies of every Pup's PuppyPin file - you'll find this in /root/Choices/Rox-filer/PuppyPin. It's a 'dynamic' file that records the position of every icon (along with linked launcher) on your desktop, and changes in real-time as you make changes on the desktop/pinboard. I have scripts linked-in to a modified form of the LogoutGUI, @ /usr/sbin/logout_gui, which save the current PuppyPin to a directory in /mnt/home before the power-off/re-boot/suspend scripts cut in. Other scripts will then permit rapid re-loading in the (rare) event that the PuppyPin doesn't load at boot.....which doesn't happen often, but can occasionally occur.

I'm quite serious about my Pup's appearances! After all, I have to look at it all day long, so I might as well invest some small 'effort' into their maintenance..... :D

@puddlemoon :-

I've got a funny feeling that the Event handler doesn't behave itself under XFCE. It's either that, or the XFCE desktop icon handling routines override it.....

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)
Last edited by mikewalsh on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

puddlemoon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:36 pm @JASpup the puppy event handler allows you to set the placement and offset of the drive icons
Yes, I've used that but didn't recall the name.

Interestingly right now it's showing drives and partitions is checked on, but there are none presumably because Desktop app >> icons overrides it.

There's also "activate auto unmounting of partitions (-EXPERIMENTAL-)". Not sure how that could be dangerous or exactly what it means.

Linux Über Alles

user1111

Post by user1111 »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:56 pmI'm quite serious about my Pup's appearances! After all, I have to look at it all day long, so I might as well invest some small 'effort' into their maintenance..... :D
Hi Mike. I try not to look at my desktop too much, quickly cover it with something, like a browser window :)
user1111

Post by user1111 »

puddlemoon wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:36 pm @rufwoof lol. I do aspire to your minimalism but... bit by bit
Laptop : 5.2MB vmlinuz with integral initrd that boots to framebuffer cli, vnc'd through a ssh tunnel (with compression activated) into my desktop system, that's connected to the TV for its display, that is running Fatdog desktop/gui. In which qemu run to load up experimental slacko, in which I've set the theme to 'original puppy'.

That's the larger part of the view (visible desktop icons), Fatdog panel at the top of screen, experimental slacko's panel at the bottom of screen

ft-es-vnc.jpg
ft-es-vnc.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 26215 times

Of course, flip to fatdog's desktop 2 and that's the fatdog's icons/desktop (or just minimise the qemu window).

vnc is set to multi, so I can also vnc into that using my android phone at the same time and have the same view/control running simultaneously on the phone, laptop and TV.

That's kvm qemu, so the speeds are only marginally less than if experimental slacko had been directly booted.

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 2048 -cdrom fossapup64-9.5.iso
My minimalism isn't less functional, just less in way of modules/firmware that otherwise get loaded, but aren't used (of which there are shed-loads). But the trade off is that its machine specific (my laptop) rather than being 'portable'. Another benefit is that it boots really quick, and if the desktop (server) is already up and running then vnc pretty much has the 'desktop' system available soon after having booted the laptop (vnc drops into the desktop as it was when last left).

I just boot the iso of choice in qemu directly, so no saves. It's relatively trivial however to create/include a virtual HDD in a qemu session, so I could create a 512MB vHDD or whatever and once the qemu had booted the iso, use gparted to format that vHDD and use it as a 'save partition' (or store save folders within that partition).

My desktop system is light on ram (2GB), with more it could comfortably run say both Puppy and Windows qemu sessions at the same time. But I haven't run Windows for years now, have had no need to do so.

Oh, and if the laptop is stolen - meh! Nothing on it. Similar if the usb the laptop is booted from - as its primarily just the 5MB vmlinuz. That said I do install and play with things also on the laptop - so subjective.
puddlemoon

Post by puddlemoon »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:56 pm I've got a funny feeling that the Event handler doesn't behave itself under XFCE. It's either that, or the XFCE desktop icon handling routines override it.....

(*shrug*)
That does make good sense... too many cooks.

@rufwoof I really do like your style... engaging in the seemingly endless possibilities.
I'll be in touch when I graduate preschool. :mrgreen:
user1111

Post by user1111 »

Having another desktop ... as a part of your desktop :)

s2.jpg
s2.jpg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 18870 times
s.jpg
s.jpg (127.57 KiB) Viewed 18870 times

Setup there is that's my laptop desktop, that is vnc'd into my desktop systems port 5910, that in turn is a reverse ssh port forward from port 5900 in a kvm/qemu session (that serves vnc to port 5900).

So fundamentally that inner/smaller desktop is just a kvm/qemu session that can't see its host (nor the laptops) HDD's, just its own virtual HDD, has alsa sound forwarded to the server (host), and can access the internet and is set to do so via a socks5 proxy. That's a fatdog multi-session boot where it only saves if the save icon is clicked (having set it up, mostly just boot it, use it, shutdown without saving - so its clean again after a reboot).

Whilst both are running Fatdog, the vnc one could be any other boot choice, and running on a different machine using kvm/qemu runs at near native bare metal speeds (in some cases it seems to run even faster).

x11vnc (vnc server) is set up with -repeat -shared -forever switches, so many could access the same desktop at the same time (and fight over the mouse/keyboard control :))

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Interesting icon placement.

My #1 favorite feature of the JWM desktop is horizontal partition icons just above the lower panel.

Linux Über Alles

user1111

Post by user1111 »

JASpup wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:17 am

Interesting icon placement.

My #1 favorite feature of the JWM desktop is horizontal partition icons just above the lower panel.

That's nice, somewhat conforms with Windows also. If however you switch to a large panning area such as a 1366x768 window that pans around a 4096x4096 desktop pan area (as you move the mouse to a screen edge so the visible window shifts), then having the taskbar/drive icons at the top or left side is nicer (rather than having to pan all of the way to the bottom).

That image I posted is just a test-bed, the central area is actually another desktop on another box. I'm setting that other box up to be BBS type style, but graphical based i.e. using vnc. I've allocated 10 lines (ports) that others can vnc into and share the same desktop, each seeing (and being able to control) the exact same desktop. In the following image you can see that remote desktops mouse at its extreme top of screen location, but being a window in my local desktop that cursor is at the top of the window region.

If someone else vnc's into that box and starts moving the mouse, doing things, perhaps playing tetris for example, then that's visible on my desktop (i.e. within the vnc window), so I could for instance open a text editor to start chatting with them ... or whatever.

s2.jpg
s2.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 18831 times

I've used the same wallpaper on both systems, so that it blends in more nicely, but where there is still some difference so that the border of the window is still apparent. The 'save' and term window in the vnc system would more normally not be present i.e. to keep visitors contained to what they could do. Typically you might run a iso based boot, read only and restricted, somewhat like a kiosk, so even if the system was 'cracked' and trashed, a reboot would have it back to normal again. Similarly access to the browser and backseatdriver ... type programs would also be restricted to trusted visitors.

Note that window has no title bar, you can set that (title bar off) for selected programs/windows, or in Fatdog alt-spacebar d ... toggles show/hide of the title bar. With the titlebar off for the vnc window it blends in more nicely.

01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

"Show Us Your Desktop"
If you insist...
(But remember... you asked for it :lol:)
Part A

Screenshot(3).png
Screenshot(3).png (5.29 KiB) Viewed 18816 times
Screenshot(4).png
Screenshot(4).png (29.18 KiB) Viewed 18816 times
Screenshot(5).png
Screenshot(5).png (13.36 KiB) Viewed 18816 times

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

01101001b

Post by 01101001b »

Part B
-Seamless, huhh?
-You're fired
:lol:
(PS: Sorry it took 2 posts)

Screenshot(6).png
Screenshot(6).png (12.87 KiB) Viewed 18815 times
Screenshot(7).png
Screenshot(7).png (19.51 KiB) Viewed 18815 times
Screenshot(9).png
Screenshot(9).png (266.46 KiB) Viewed 18815 times

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@01101001b I like it. Minimal but fully useable. Focus on running programs.
Perhaps you could share some details on how you acheived this desktop!

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Hi! I like themes in blue, icons in the bar, programs in transparency or simulating transparency. I can't do without Conky's information in real time. I don't use save file, all my main programs are ROXapps. The base (fd64.sfs - 212Mb), I get through the fatdog-iso-builder, with the edited sfs-baselist where I remove: gimp-2.8.22-x86_64-1; libreoffice-6.2.8.1-x86_64-1; libreoffice-dict-en-6.2.8.1-x86_64-1; seamonkey-2.49.5-x86_64-1; flash-plugin-32.0.0.156-x86_64-1.txz; vlc-plugin-2.0.6-x86_64-1_vlc303.txz; armagetronad-0.2.8.3.4-x86_64-1; pipepanic-0.1.3-x86_64-1; xinvaders3d-1.3.6-x86_64-1; gtktetris-0.6.2b-x86_64-1; and sven-2020.08-x86_64-1
And I include packages, necessary for the operation of web browsers (Firefox, Vivaldi, Google Chrome, Opera):
gtk3-3.22.30-x86_64-1; at-spi2-core-2.28.0-x86_64-1; at-spi2-atk-2.26.2-x86_64-1; glib-networking-2.56.1-x86_64-1; gsettings-desktop-schemas-3.28.0-x86_64-1; libsoup-2.62.3-x86_64-1; librest-0.8.1-x86_64-1; and libnotify-gtk3-0.7.8-x86_64-1.
My personal settings are loaded into an extrasfs (sv64.sfs - 5.6Mb). For the ease of customization, FatDog64 in my opinion is the best and irreplaceable, the linux that no other can be so good!

Attachments
Transparency.jpg
Transparency.jpg (144.47 KiB) Viewed 18793 times
Last edited by Duprate on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duprate

Post by Duprate »

"Another wallpaper ..."

Attachments
desktop.jpg
desktop.jpg (181.26 KiB) Viewed 18786 times
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@mikewalsh the only menu editor I see is simple yet doesn't look very flexible. A linear list of every app in two columns for active and disabled?

I have another directory full of nothing but custom-made MenuEntries, so I can link any Pup into an externally-mounted partition with loads of portable apps that I share between Pups, and means I can quickly populate the Menu with useful launchers.

Is every JWM menu customizable? How do we do this?

Linux Über Alles

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Fossapup64-9.0.5

Really basic set up but outfitted with a LHMP and Zoneminder. Shown running Gluglo in a Xnest instance as a separate X server. For no real reason except I like the clock.

Screenshot(5).png
Screenshot(5).png (321.07 KiB) Viewed 18731 times

Return to “Users”