Vanilla Dpup 9.x (x86 and x86_64) (old thread)

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

dungsaga

Re: Vanilla Dpup (x86 and x86_64)

Post by dungsaga »

@TerryH I accept your apology :) If you read my post, you'll see my opinion is different from other members.

pemasu

Xwayland and Smplayer

Post by pemasu »

I changed video-output to X11 to get Smplayer ( under Smplayer preferencences ) working under Xwayland. When video-output was default, I had problems.
9.0.18 version.
Wifi, sound, touchpad, bluetooth, pulseaudio, Xorg and Xwayland working.

hundido

Post by hundido »

Very funny experience for me. Trying to solve my own problems with wanting a puppy with a blue light filter and easier to work with than Slacko64-8.2.1 on my new computer, I went to wolf-ce to build my own puppy.

I decided to make a Debian based pup, and selected the 5.15 kernel. When I booted it the first time, to my surprise, it welcomed me to Vanilla Dpup! So apparently I built pretty much the same puppy as this one.

Good news, whatever happened, I now have the 2nd puppy distro with working blue light filter on the new computer! (I tested on the laptop last time and wanted to stop bugging people about this new computer, but now it works!)

dimkr

Re: Xwayland and Smplayer

Post by dimkr »

pemasu wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:51 pm

I changed video-output to X11 to get Smplayer ( under Smplayer preferencences ) working under Xwayland. When video-output was default, I had problems.
9.0.18 version.
Wifi, sound, touchpad, bluetooth, pulseaudio, Xorg and Xwayland working.

Cheers @pemasu, long time no see :)

hundido wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:10 pm

I decided to make a Debian based pup, and selected the 5.15 kernel. When I booted it the first time, to my surprise, it welcomed me to Vanilla Dpup! So apparently I built pretty much the same puppy as this one.

That's the idea! An easily reproducible Puppy people can modify easily.

Make sure you're on the woof-CE stable branch (git checkout stable) and not on testing - that will give you *exactly* Vanilla Dpup, without changes in testing (which still uses 9.0.0 as the version number, I need to change that) :thumbup:

hundido

Post by hundido »

I wish I could figure out how to make a different default theme in the build.

A 2018 piece of research from the University of Toledo in the US suggests some worrying links between artificial blue light exposure and permanent eye damage. In fact, they concluded that this kind of repeated exposure actually causes the eye to attack itself. It’s to do with what’s called ‘retinal’; teeny molecules that sense light and trigger signals to the brain. “You need a continuous supply of retinal molecules if you want to see”, says Dr. Ajith Karunarathne, Assistant Professor in the University’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Through lab experiments, Dr. Karunarathne and his team found that blue light exposure causes those retinal to trigger reactions that actually generate poisonous chemical molecules in the eye. “It’s toxic”, adds fellow researcher Kasun Ratnayake. “If you shine blue light on retinal, it kills photoreceptor cells as the signaling molecule on the membrane dissolves.” What’s worse, like a Harvey Norman deal, when they’re gone, they’re gone. “Photoreceptor cells do not regenerate in the eye. When they’re dead, they’re dead for good.”

-https://ambreyewear.com/pages/does-blue ... -blindness

After getting hit in the head by the metal crunching in when we basically landed on my head in a rollover car accident, my brain changed how it processes light. Now blue light also is rather physically painful in the eyes of this beholder. Is there an easy-ish way to change the default build theme?

hundido

Post by hundido »

I installed Vanilla Dpup64 9.0.18
When I booted in, after exiting the Setup, I could use the mouse to select items in the menu or the tray, but they never opened.
I couldn't open video wizard. I couldn't shut down.
This has happened with every x86_64 Vanilla Dpup install I've done. This time it wasn't fixed by rebooting it again.
Why does that keep happening?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

dungsaga wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:33 pm

@BarryK in your blog post "Why ISO was retired", you wrote that using ISO image file on a USB stick will make it "mostly unusable". But a hybrid ISO image is also a HDD image containing the ISO image as a partition. You can add one more partition as the working partition.
And it will be almost the same as your solution (with 2 partitions in a HDD image). However, this hybrid ISO image can also be use as a normal ISO file for anyone who want a read-only boot image or want to put this among other ISO files in his/her USB stick.

Hi,
Yes, I acknowledge that. I intend to post an appendage to my blog post addressing that possibility.
Right now I'm getting into holiday mode, and EasyOS stuff is getting less attention.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

hundido wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Is there an easy-ish way to change the default build theme?

Yes, set PTHEME in woof-distro/x86_64/debian/bullseye64/_00build.conf (or _00build.conf, in the woof_out* directory).

But bear in mind that "themes" are ptheme global themes (a combination of a GTK theme, a wallpaper and icons), and EXTRA_COMMANDS deletes all broken themes and themes that support only GTK+ 2.

hundido wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:30 am

When I booted in, after exiting the Setup, I could use the mouse to select items in the menu or the tray, but they never opened.

Does this happen with 5.10.x too? Or only with 5.15.x?

hundido

Post by hundido »

@dimkr thank you for the answers.

I booted back into the 5.15 that I made and I'm writing from that now. I believe I had the problem where I could open the menus, but clicking on things was futile because nothing opened, when I booted the first time. A few boots after that, 5.15 seems to be working well.

hundido

Post by hundido »

I booted into 5.10 to remind. After I got the initial setup menu, I clicked on my sdb3 to install JWMDesk and sct, and the drive didn't open. I tried to open the internet so I could try to write you from that program. I clicked the browse icon, nothing happened. I tried to select stuff from the menu. It looked like I clicked on it but nothing happened. I tried to power off the computer using the red power off button. Nothing happened. I hard powered off the computer and am writing from 5.15 again.

hundido

Post by hundido »

I just broke 5.15. I opened JWMDesk and I think I clicked "GTK Theme"? Then the thing happened where I could move the mouse, but clicking did nothing.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

hundido wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:54 am

I just broke 5.15. I opened JWMDesk and I think I clicked "GTK Theme"? Then the thing happened where I could move the mouse, but clicking did nothing.

Vanilla Dpup uses ptheme, and 5.10.x kernels. I don't have time to solve issues related to third party applications that may conflict with ptheme, or other kernel versions.

I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is. However, if you fix these issues on your own and contribute fixes to https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE, I will gladly cherry-pick them into the stable branch and include them in a future Vanilla Dpup release.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:29 am
dungsaga wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:33 pm

@BarryK in your blog post "Why ISO was retired", you wrote that using ISO image file on a USB stick will make it "mostly unusable". But a hybrid ISO image is also a HDD image containing the ISO image as a partition. You can add one more partition as the working partition.
And it will be almost the same as your solution (with 2 partitions in a HDD image). However, this hybrid ISO image can also be use as a normal ISO file for anyone who want a read-only boot image or want to put this among other ISO files in his/her USB stick.

Hi,
Yes, I acknowledge that. I intend to post an appendage to my blog post addressing that possibility.
Right now I'm getting into holiday mode, and EasyOS stuff is getting less attention.

OK, I wrote a part-2, let me know if you see any incorrect reasoning in it:

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/why-iso- ... art-2.html

Feedback on whether iso should be retired is now in another thread:

http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=4690

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Is Vanilla Dpup the latest and most up-to-date 32-bit Puppy available? How long will the 32-bit line still continue (estimation perhaps in number of years).

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

amethyst wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am

How long will the 32-bit line still continue (estimation perhaps in number of years).

As long as Debian Bullseye receives updates, unless it becomes a maintenance burden.

However, I don't have hardware to test the 32 bit variant on, and it's a very "traditional" Puppy with GTK+ 2, X.Org, SNS, etc'. In addition, I don't fix issues that affect only the 32 bit variant.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

9.0.20 is going to be a very big release: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 1?closed=1.

The main changes are a new display settings wizard for Xwayland (which is more full-featured than its X.Org counterpart), a backport of wlroots 0.15.0 (which should fix issues like graphical glitches) and continuation of menu cleanup (making the menu shorter and less confusing).

EDIT: 9.0.20 is out, grab it while it's hot

Duprate

Re: Vanilla Dpup 9.x (x86 and x86_64)

Post by Duprate »

Good Morning! Every Saturday I'm always updating the system. Today, I downloaded vanilladpup-x86_64-9.0.20. It Works very well! As it is a special date, I consider this version a great gift. Thank you very much! Be happy!

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I had vanilla Dpup on the SSD of my Dell Laptop. Since the laptop hasn't been functional for a while now, I have been using a small Dell Venue Pro 11 2-in-1, which has a realtek rt286 sound chip. I have not been able to have functional sound from the internal speakers on any pups, dogs or EasyOs. I made a new frugal install of Vanilla Dpup on a USB flash drive. The fdrv is missing the required firmware IntcSST2.bin. After copying the firmware to /lib/firmware/intel, sound was functioning. Excellent!

All that I have checked so far is functioning well. Function keys for sound and brightness controls working. Thank you for your continued Puppy development work.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

TerryH wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:35 pm

The fdrv is missing the required firmware IntcSST2.bin.

Thanks @TerryH, opened https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ssues/2733. Looks like the driver doesn't have a list of required firmware files, so they don't get packed when fdrv is built.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

9.0.21 is going to be another major refinement! https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 2?closed=1

It updates Firefox (because the old Firefox ESR in Debian Bullseye has reached its end-of-life, and no longer receives security updates), replaces initrd.gz in the ext4 images with frugalify (for faster boot, TRIM support, reduced RAM usage and more, see https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/frugalify) and adds man pages and translations to the ext4 images, making it a better Puppy for advanced users and users who want to use a language other than English.

In addition, I'm going to announce development builds of Vanilla Dpup 10.x (https://github.com/vanilla-dpup/unstable/releases) soon - they're still in very early development, and I think it will take a long time for them to reach beta quality. I hope to release 10.0.0 shortly after Debian Bookworm, while keeping Vanilla Dpup 9.x alive.

debianfan

Post by debianfan »

How to use this to surf the Internet? Can't be installed directly
viewtopic.php?t=2972

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@debianfan It's probably going to conflict with ConnMan. If you want a clean solution, you'll need to rebuild Vanilla Dpup without ConnMan and connman-ui to use something else.

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hello, dear @dimkr!

I have some questions:
1) Is there a way to update Vanilla DPup without completely reinstalling the puppy and then setting it up in a new way?

2) What software do I need to install to be able to exchange files with my Android phone?

From Dmitry (Russia)

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Maybe wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:30 pm

Hello, dear @dimkr!

I have some questions:
1) Is there a way to update Vanilla DPup without completely reinstalling the puppy and then setting it up in a new way?

2) What software do I need to install to be able to exchange files with my Android phone?

From Dmitry (Russia)

1- yes, you can just swap vmlinuz, initrd.gz and *.sfs with those from the new version. But you can't do that while Vanilla Dpup is running - you'll need to boot from another drive to do that. And there's another option - you can use an ext4 image (*.img.gz) instead of the .iso image - it includes an installer and an updater.

2 - I don't know

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

9.0.21 will be out soon, with big improvements: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 2?closed=1.

First, it updates Firefox ESR 78 to 91, to fix security issues. It looks a bit different.

Second, ext4 images now include devx, docx and nlsx. This makes them bigger, but makes Vanilla Dpup more useful for development, and it should "just work" when you select a different language, without having to install anything first. Firefox, for example, comes with all translations, and it's very likely that your language of choice is supported.

Third, ext4 images now use frugalify (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/frugalify) instead of initrd.gz, making them boot faster, while also reducing RAM usage and increasing SSD lifespan. Existing installations updated to 9.0.21 will keep using initrd.gz.

In addition, there are bug fixes: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2738, https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2743 and https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/2741. Cage is updated to the latest commit, fixing some graphical glitches (that don't happen under the X desktop) and making it easier to fix issues like https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ssues/2594 in the future.

EDIT: 9.0.21 will be called "9.0.22", because the first build failed :|

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Good afternoon and a happy start to 2022! I just updated to version 9.0.22. Working very well as the previous ones, bringing as an extra bonus, the grateful satisfaction of using a system that is always up to date! :thumbup:

Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (177.79 KiB) Viewed 480 times
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Manually updated frugal install using x86_64 9.22.iso. All went smoothly. A great way to start 2022.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Hi Dima

wrote vanilladpup-9.0.22-ext4-2gb-uefi.img to USB drive with

Code: Select all

#  gunzip --stdout vanilladpup-9.0.22-ext4-2gb-uefi.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sdx bs=1M status=progress
# sync

boots fast, install and browser seems to operate fine with configs saved properly, shuts down fast.

if I access sda2 by clicking on icon in lower left, sometimes the click brings up rox and sometimes pmount.....then shutdown hangs with stray filesystem message and requires hard power-off

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

williwaw wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:19 am

if I access sda2 by clicking on icon in lower left, sometimes the click brings up rox and sometimes pmount.....then shutdown hangs with stray filesystem message and requires hard power-off

I'll take a look.

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

dimkr wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:45 pm
Maybe wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:30 pm

Hello, dear @dimkr!

I have some questions:

From Dmitry (Russia)

1- yes, you can just swap vmlinuz, initrd.gz and *.sfs with those from the new version. But you can't do that while Vanilla Dpup is running - you'll need to boot from another drive to do that. And there's another option - you can use an ext4 image (*.img.gz) instead of the .iso image - it includes an installer and an updater.

2 - I don't know

Hey @dimkr!

Tried updating VanillaDPUP64 using ISO image. As you suggested, I replaced vmlinuz, initrd.gz and * .sfs. At the first boot, the question popped up: update the "Save" folder? No matter how I answer, yes or no, the result is the same - the saves are discarded, Puppy boots like the first time: (Maybe the problem is that the installation is taking place on the Ext3 hard drive?

In VanillaPUP64, Firefox freezes when you go to settings -> add-ons and themes

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”