Raspian connect to WiFi fails if SSID has spaces in name [partly solved]

Moderator: Forum moderators

miriam

Raspian connect to WiFi fails if SSID has spaces in name [partly solved]

Post by miriam »

I installed RasPup 8.2.1 today on my Raspberry Pi 4 and I have to say congratulations on a marvellous job! I was getting very sick of the standard Raspian OS, which is very slow. Having Puppy on it is wonderful! The machine is familiar and feels like home.

Just one tiny problem (so far): when I try to connect to wifi it fails. Took me a while to work out why. It is breaking the SSID name into 3 parts because the name has spaces in it. If I was home I'd just rename the SSID on my router so that it doesn't have any spaces in it, but unfortunately I'm not home. Other machines, such as my laptop (which has Puppy on it) negotiate the name fine. I suspect some quote marks were inadvertently omitted in a shell script.

Can anybody point me to what files I should look in, to add the quotes? You might save me spending hours trying to work it out.
I'll start looking anyway. If I find the problem before someone answers, I'll post here.

Thanks folks, for a brilliant RasPup!

Last edited by miriam on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

A life! How can I download one of those?

miriam

Re: Raspian connect to WiFi fails if SSID has spaces in name

Post by miriam »

The problem is less pressing than I thought. Ignore if you wish.
The problem with the spaces only occurs before RasPup is saved. Once it makes its first save to the flash card the problem disappears and it connects to the router perfectly. Whew!

Again, my highest praise to the team for this lovely Puppy. Thank you so much!

A life! How can I download one of those?

Return to “Raspbian Buster”