Update request for SeaMonkey in Fatdog

versatile 64-bit multi-user Linux distribution

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

Clarity

Update request for SeaMonkey in Fatdog

Post by Clarity »

in the Control Panel's last tab, there are utilities to update several apps in FD810.

There utilities for Chrome, for Firefox, but nothing is there for the shipped browser SeaMonkey and the SM browser, itself, has no installed browser feature for such. Currently SeaMonkey is 4 releases behind and counting ...

Might we see an upgrade/update utility or feature for SeaMonkey.

FYI
smokey01

Re: Update request for SeaMonkey in Fatdog

Post by smokey01 »

[mention]Clarity[/mention] it's not always wise to upgrade to the latest software. Sometimes the latest is full of new bugs. I'm not saying this is the case with Seamonkey but the Devs usually prefer stability over latest. You can always download and install the latest if you wish.
http://seamonkey-project.org/releases/
Clarity wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:40 pm in the Control Panel's last tab, there are utilities to update several apps in FD810.

There utilities for Chrome, for Firefox, but nothing is there for the shipped browser SeaMonkey and the SM browser, itself, has no installed browser feature for such. Currently SeaMonkey is 4 releases behind and counting ...

Might we see an upgrade/update utility or feature for SeaMonkey.

FYI
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks [mention]smokey01[/mention] I AGREE with you.

BUT, the thread is requesting a utility in the Control Panel or a feature in the browser for selective upgrade.

We are on the page with the info you post, though.
FeodorF

Post by FeodorF »

Hi Clarity,

Seamonkey is going through a lot of internal software changes. Therefore it is not possible to use an update utility for it.
In part the Seamonkey developers have to so to speak reinvent the wheel to get the Seamonkey browser up to date.

Since July 7, 2020 Seamonkey is up to version 2.53.3 and working very well with Barry's EasyOS 2.3.3 .

I'm myself using it since July and I am pleased with it.
garnet

Post by garnet »

Someone (much) wiser than me told me to follow these steps and they work for me.
Hopefully they work for you too.

1. Install gtk3 from gslapt if you haven't installed it yet.

2. Download latest seamonkey from here http://seamonkey-project.org/releases/. Choose Linux x64 download, with languages of your choice. For example, the US English download is https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... 64.tar.bz2.

Save it in your Downloads folder.

3. Open rox and navigate to /usr/lib64

4. Delete the "seamonkey" folder from here. Keep the rox folder open and don't close it.

5. Switch back to your Downloads folder and click open the tarball you just downloaded. It will open the archiver and you will see "seamonkey" folder inside the tarball.

6. Drag the "seamonkey" folder from the archive and drop it in /usr/lib64 Rox folder you opened in step 2.

7. Press Alt+F2 (or open terminal) and launch it by typing "apulse seamonkey-spot' (or "apulse seamonkey" if you want to run as root). (If you don't care about sound then just run "seamonkey-spot" or "seamonkey".

----

Before you upgrade, please read and heed the warning from seamonkey team here: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas ... key2.53.3/

Posting this from Seamonkey 2.53.3.

Hope that helps ^_^

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks
loock

Post by loock »

Hi,

I updated seamonkey from menu/setup/fatdog64 control panel/updates and finally click update seamonkey. Now seamonkey from menu/internet doesnt open anything.

What can i do now??

I dont know how fix it.

Feek

Post by Feek »

loock wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:00 pm

Hi,

I updated seamonkey from menu/setup/fatdog64 control panel/updates and finally click update seamonkey. Now seamonkey from menu/internet doesnt open anything.

What can i do now??

I dont know how fix it.

Now I have tried to update Seamonkey with the updating program in the FD control panel (commonly use Firefox). Everything seems to work on my machine without a single problem (now I have Seamonkey 2.53.7.1 version).

The whole updating process (after confirming the first dialog "yes" and choosing language) takes relatively long time. Was the process successfully finished on your machine?

You can try to launch the browser in terminal, which should write out some information (just type "seamonkey" or "seamonkey-spot").

Sorry, I'm not an expert with knowledges to repair bad install of a browser and don't know exactly what is happening with Seamonkey on your system. But if you have a back-up of your personal changes (savefile or folder) from time before you installed the Seamonkey, you can restore it and start simply afresh.

Return to “FatDog64”