Booting modern PUPPY from USB only via its download (DOGs too)

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: Booting modern PUPPY from USB only via its download (DOGs too)

Post by Clarity »

Hi @vtpup
There is another, probably, way:

1. Download the ISO or IMG of your choice (15MB -23MB)

2. That file allows you to creates a bootable on USB or CD

3. Add your PUPm DOG, and Ubuntu ISO file(s) of your choice to the "/boot-isos" folder

4. Boot and run any PUP ISO files you added.

The IMG files I made, for this thread's opening post, intends to be easier for many/most new members.

Let's us know if you have any issues.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Giving the first thread instructions a run-through (with a view to experiencing what a newbie would experience) but I failed at the first hurdle:

Cannot get the img downloaded:

GoogleDriveFail.jpg
GoogleDriveFail.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 4801 times

I always seem to have issues with Google Drive. I would recommend some other host as a backup alternative maybe? (Not Mega.nz as they are even harder to access than Google Drive)

I can download fine from ibilio and loads of other download sites so not sure why Google Drive is so picky.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek, THanks. This is the kind of feedback that is useful as others, too, may have similar access problems.

I will look for a suitable platform that I have access to. What browser do you use?

Some ideas in the meantime

• One way is to use incognito mode, accept the cookie, download. When you exit that browser page, all cookies are discarded.

• Another idea that comes to mind is if you have another browser, as it may not bump into this cookie issue.

• Another is to accept the cookie, then after completion, go into your browser's preferences security section and discard all cookies.

• Curious if the ad blocker is the cause and enabling it for this specific webpage, temporarity, might circumvent this

My MS ID allows storage, but, you may have the same cookie problem there as well. But, its worth a try. And maybe my GIT may allow storage-download...hummm???

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I also found this discussion of topic how to use WGET to download a public google drive item.

Is this helpful, as well for downloading using a terminal command?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:52 pm

I also found this discussion of topic how to use WGET to download a public google drive item.

@Clarity :-

That shouldn't be too hard. I use wget in the updater script which I originally wrote for the Chrome-portables.....then modified for Iron and Zoom.

The most time-consuming thing when coding for wget is to figure out which of the 1001 '--switches' you need to use.....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek you posted above, here. Immediately above your post in a prior post. It is what I did to make the bootable image file with the few enclosed PUPs to jump-start newbies use and understandings by making a single file for them with no steps except to build the USB.

So, the directions get simpler for experienced users. AND, instead of a pre-make one-file USB image that is 2GB, you'll download a 15MB (yes...that megabytes) file, generate your USB, add your ISO file(s) and boot.

From that point onward, all you'll ever do is add PUP ISO files and boot them directly!

This USB removes efforts to boot all of the forum's modern PUPs & DOGs by reducing everything to a singularity of download the ISO file and boot to desktop.

Post any insights. Thanks

P.S. (SMILING) Remember the 'challenge'? Of course you know that this will take a few more minutes because YOU are assembling all the components of the USB by hand. :) But the results are the same. ;)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:57 pm

What browser do you use?

Chromium
Version 91.0.4472.77 (Developer Build, ungoogled-chromium) (32-bit)
(Using Tahr32 6.0.6 to do the downloads)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:52 pm

Helpful idea - although i cant seem to find the url of the ext2 image in order to plug it into the wget syntax. (Tried to rightclick the ext2 download icon in your Google Drive but this does not pop up any option to copy url )

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

• One way is to use incognito mode, accept the cookie, download. When you exit that browser page, all cookies are discarded.

Thanks - just tried this but symptom is the same as before. I guess this is because my browser is specifically built to hide from Google's usual snoopiness.

[*]Another idea that comes to mind is if you have another browser, as it may not bump into this cookie issue.

Will see what other browser is available (somewhat limited by my choice of 32bit OS)

[*]Another is to accept the cookie, then after completion, go into your browser's preferences security section and discard all cookies.

I don't seem to have this opportunity. Would you expect a dialog to pop up offering such a choice or should I go looking through settings?

[*]Curious if the ad blocker is the cause and enabling it for this specific webpage, temporarity, might circumvent this[/list]

Don't think I have an ad blocker running.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I see.

I dont have a customized Chromium. But I just checked mine which I run out of a terminal as follows:
chromium --no-sandbox

As I think about it, were you todo this, as a temp measure & test, there could be a similar cookie problem as when your browser opens, it will still have all of your preferences from your normal use...maybe.

My test PC is a little different from yours as I am running a 64bit WoofCE PUP on a 64bit PC behind a firewall with a Chromium 64bit. I dont have any sensitive data as all of my sensitive data is in the cloud.

Considering that you would probably run into the same 'cookie' issue from my Microsoft cloud store on your current system, the next best solution would be to build from the steps immediately above your prior post. There you grab the ISO file and make your USB; add your choices of modern PUPs & DOGs and boot any/all of each. Its a couple more steps but the outcome will be the same. In essence, you will be creating the same but with your choices of forum ISO files versus the 3 that are contained in the image I make available.

Post back whichever choice is best.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@Clarity

This is just a suggestion.

What about making your download image smaller, with maybe only one Puppy version, in it. :idea:

Making the USB, the image is installed on, fully setup to add other Puppy versions.

Reason I suggest this. 1.8GB is a sizable download for some people, in places in the world.
I have high speed Internet, but even I had slow download speed, to get the full image.

Note:
There are some Puppy versions, that have no or little support, for f2fs format.
Hopefully, all the newer ones do, but this support has to be added, during the build process, to have it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Seems like the download is a no-go for me using a 32bit pup.
Will re-visit this when I upgrade to 64bit.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:41 pm

There is another, probably, way:

1. Download the ISO or IMG of your choice (15MB -23MB)

2. That file allows you to creates a bootable on USB or CD

3. Add your PUPm DOG, and Ubuntu ISO file(s) of your choice to the "/boot-isos" folder

4. Boot and run any PUP ISO files you added.

The IMG files I made, for this thread's opening post, intends to be easier for many/most new members.

Let's us know if you have any issues.

Tried this but I see no BOOT-ISOS folder

Where_is_BOOTISOS.jpg
Where_is_BOOTISOS.jpg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 5581 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek Filename of the ISO file did you downloaded from the SuperGrub2Disk site, please?

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:09 pm

Filename of the ISO file did you downloaded from the SuperGrub2Disk site, please?

super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso

It did not boot to any kind of menu - just to a flashing cursor.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @greengeek
Few things:

• Your choice is for 8-9 year old code

• There is more recent stable versions that the author refers to as 'Beta'

• I recommend you try one of those

• When I tested your version years ago I did not have your problem as it boots to a Grub2 Menu and I selected the 1st option to see my ISO files.

Here's a site for his most recent version that I have been using for past months this year. (the ISO you choose will downloads within 10 seconds, even on slow internet connections)

You can burn to a CD/DVD/USB for your use.

CD/DVD
IFF you make a CD/DVD of the 15MB ISO, it boots to menu in 3 seconds. Hitting the enter-key it will search your disks for BOOTISOS folder of ISO files.

USB
IIFF you make a USB, it boots to Menu within 5 seconds and looks for the ISO on the booting USB. Hitting the enter-key it will search the booting USB for BOOTISOS folder of ISO files.

Merely add any modern PUP/DOG ISO files to the folder. It will find them, and list them for booting your choice.

When SG2D boots, its first Menu screen looks like this.

Hit the Enter-key ONLY
Hit the Enter-key ONLY
SG2D Menu Screen 1.jpg (25.97 KiB) Viewed 5477 times

Then WAIT while it gathers and list all bootables it finds on your PC ... including your installed OS(s) as well as your ISO files.

Enjoy

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@greengeek

I am sure you will notice that your USB has 2 partitions, once you create it.The 2nd partition is where you will place you ISO files within the folder, there.

Place Your ISO files in this folder on this partition
Place Your ISO files in this folder on this partition
Sg2D partition to place ISO files.jpg (16.5 KiB) Viewed 5461 times

And, I am sure you will notice to use GParted to expand that partition before attempting to write so that you have space to add your ISO files. YOUR USB creating tool did NOT take all of the space on your USB for the partition, so expand it.

NOTE for everyone else: The USB in the first post of this thread was done so that all of this was done in a ready-made IMAGE file with the FossaPUP64 ISO file and couple others, ready.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

You're going to kick yourself at how easy this is.

Looking forward to any feedback

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I received an appeal for an even smaller Implementation. The requester is not having any problems in using SG2D; rather, the request is to assist at least one forum member as others, too, might be desirous of such..

I have responded with a file that has been ZIPPED from a bootable USB. It has 2 PUPs and is using the latest SG2D version. Get if from the same place as the others in the opening post of this thread.

Repeating, it is the zip file. Merely explode it, use tit to create your USB, boot your USB and enjoy!

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I realise now that I did not initially understand this comment.
However - I now see that when I access your Google Drive a small "eye" icon appears at the right hand side of the URL bar. This icon has a diagonal line through it when cookies are disabled - but I can click it to enable the cookies. I guess that is what you meant about "accepting the cookie" - but I was expecting a dialog of some kind.
So now that I click that icon - I can accept the Google snooping cookie and get the download.
Progress!

CookieMonster.jpg
CookieMonster.jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 5376 times
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @geo_c , you wrote

geo_c wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:13 pm

... I never got the uefi distros to boot from SG2D ...

Could you share what occurs when attempting to boot these ISO files?

I am not having problems with my use.

P.S. Booting ISO files IS booting Frugal; just without the need to explode them unto disks somewhere.

Curious

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

bigpup wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:29 am

...download image smaller ...

In response to your request, pull the smaller download from the site. and test on a USB, please.

Comments appreciated

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Clarity wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:11 am

I received an appeal for an even smaller Implementation. The requester is not having any problems in using SG2D; rather, the request is to assist at least one forum member as others, too, might be desirous of such..

I have responded with a file that has been ZIPPED from a bootable USB. It has 2 PUPs and is using the latest SG2D version. Get if from the same place as the others in the opening post of this thread.

Repeating, it is the zip file. Merely explode it, use tit to create your USB, boot your USB and enjoy!

Excellent - thank you. Have now used this to boot into Fossapup 9.5
Results/comments:
- I used Barry's easydd to do the write to usb. Got it from here: https://bkhome.org/linux/easydd-write-i ... drive.html
- After the write phase Easydd told me that the drive "is faulty and must be unplugged" - however it did boot and I am posting from it now.
- The usb write took about 20 minutes.
- I felt the Grub screens were overly complex and not something I would recommend for newbies. (Also very ugly in terms of colour but that is a minor gripe i guess :( )

Question:
- Would you expect this method to allow booting of 32bit Puppies? If so - are there any limitations on how old a Puppy can be used?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @greengeek. Your insights are helpful for the usual gurling task of creating a USB from either a IMG/ISO file.

greengeek wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:19 am

Question:
- Would you expect this method to allow booting of 32bit Puppies? If so - are there any limitations on how old a Puppy can be used?

Modern WoofCE PUP ISO files all do boot via SG2D.

Every WoofCE PUP behaves exactly as you would expect from any PUP booted from any methods in our past. This method booting ISO files changes NOTHING in the PUPs themselves; thus the PUP's behavior is consistent, equal, and exact...just without any need for setup to become productive.

Add as many modern PUP/DOG ISO files as you choose. AS simple as what's you've found, thusly makes you an expert :) ... as there is not much too it. You'll just add or delete ISO files to that folder and use the same USB forever, never needing to recreate it, change it, or rebuild it.

Thus the understanding is to guide anyone to create the USB, once, Then boot PUPs/DOGs forever with nothing more than a mere copy the distro ISO to the folder and boot. No more need to create a bootable USB/disk, again, to be productive or use a PUP.

If any other observations surface, good or bad, please share.

Enjoy

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Please define "modern".

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:15 pm

Please define "modern".

I think @Clarity means that most of latest releases have the file /boot/grub/loopback.cfg inside the ISO, which is required for booting ISO via SG2D.

esos

Post by esos »

Booting direct FromISO is good for quick testing only but not suitable for long run.
For sure you can NOT update the system.
Just my opinion.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

esos wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:34 pm

Booting direct FromISO is good for quick testing only but not suitable for long run.
For sure you can NOT update the system.
Just my opinion.

I agree, however you can update the system by replacing the ISO with newer.
Also, setting up save is inconvenient.

esos

Post by esos »

I hope everybody has high speed internet.
It is soo sloow right now to access this forum even you have high speed internet. :lol:

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:40 pm

Also, setting up save is inconvenient.

Why? You can boot out of an ISO and still provide the boot parameters that identify the location of the persistent storage.

Just write the parameters into the menu.lst or grub.cfg file.

Return to “Boot”