Blender 'portable'.....now with add/remove MenuEntry

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Blender 'portable'.....now with add/remove MenuEntry

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

I've been playing around with this one, on & off, for a couple of weeks or so. Finally got things how I want them, so; here for the creative types among you, is Blender-portable 2.93.1 LTS.

All the usual file-manipulation tomfoolery is present & correct, and there's now some 'extras'.....namely, the ability to add a MenuEntry which launches from whatever location you're running the portable from. 3 extra items are present; a 'DATA' directory, containing a .desktop entry & a PNG icon; a 'Menu-Add' script, which copies these to the relevant locations, sym-links the 'LAUNCH' script into /usr/bin, runs 'fixmenus' & re-starts "X"; and a 'Menu-Remove' script, which deletes everything, followed by running 'fixmenus' & re-starting "X" again.

A few Puppians have been making noises about wanting to easily add MenuEntries for 'portable' apps, so I thought I'd take a crack at it & add this ability to my 'portables' for anyone who wants it.

If you want to move the portable's directory from one place to another, you'll need to remove the existing MenuEntry first. Then you can move the portable, followed by re-adding the MenuEntry from the new location. (This is because soft/hard links don't survive migration; sym-links lose their targets, and permanent links can no longer locate the inode they were pointing to - especially if you move the app between file-systems, say from one partition to another).

Apparently, this is by design....

The ability to add a .desktop file confers the added ability to put launchers in the tray's QuickLaunch area on the left, if you so desire.

You can find the portable here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/GWB1DKaI#G7S68mBYLP2f_-ZPb4koCg

I intend to gradually add this functionality to other portable apps as & when new versions get released. Hopefully, some of you will find it useful. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Re: Blender 'portable'.....now with add/remove MenuEntry

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Here's an update for the Blender users among you. The Blender Puppy-portable is now up to v3.1.2.

Quite a few new features to interest y'all:-

https://www.blender.org/download/releases/3-1/

----------------------------------------------

Download; unzip; move the portable directory wherever you like, but preferably outside the save. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to run as a portable. If you want to integrate it into the system, scripts permit adding/removing a Menu entry, if one is required.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

peppyy

Re: Blender 'portable'.....now with add/remove MenuEntry

Post by peppyy »

@mikewalsh Just a couple of questions.

Is there a way to use more than 1 core on my AMD FX-6300 6 core? It appears to only use one thread. I know the AMD/ATI RV630 PRO graphics card isn't supported.
I have set the cpu to on demand and it still pretty much idles.

EDIT Upgraded to 3.2 and cleared out the first one. It now saves preferences and recent in ~/.config. 3.2 appears to run well in fossa64.

In case you can't tell, I am getting addicted :lol:

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G. Yes it's a Mutt.

Return to “Multimedia”