SumatraPDF - more than just a pdf reader

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

SumatraPDF - more than just a pdf reader

Post by amethyst »

I have this programme which I normally use to open pdf files. I wasn't aware that it supports other file formats too, actually it's an excellent ebook reader. It supports epub, mobi, comic books, etc. In fact, I've just opened and started reading an epub book. It has an option for single page view but one can read in book view too. I'm going to play with different fonts and stuff in the advanced options to see if it works. This is cool.

mikewalsh

Re: SumatraPDF - more than just a pdf reader

Post by mikewalsh »

amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I have this programme which I normally use to open pdf files. I wasn't aware that it supports other file formats too, actually it's an excellent ebook reader. It supports epub, mobi, comic books, etc. In fact, I've just opened and started reading an epub book. It has an option for single page view but one can read in book view too. I'm going to play with different fonts and stuff in the advanced options to see if it works. This is cool.

I've been running the PortableApps version of this for a few years. It's pretty good for basic viewing & printing.....and very light on resources.

https://portableapps.com/apps/office/su ... f_portable

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:36 pm
amethyst wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:35 pm

I've been running the PortableApps version of this for a few years. It's pretty good for basic viewing & printing.....and very light on resources.

https://portableapps.com/apps/office/su ... f_portable

Mike. ;)

Me too, have been using it for years but never noticed/realised that it can open some of the most used ebook formats until now. Handy. BTW- one can change fonts, background/text colours, etc. with the available advanced options.

GMBudwrench

Post by GMBudwrench »

I run the portable apps platform when I’m in Windows. I have no installed software on my laptop. Everything is dropped into a folder at the root. Sumatra is my main pdf reader. I was sold on its simplicity and the fact that it’s less than 10 or 12 MB’s in size. Unlike that beast Adobe offers.

HP G71 Wins10 64 bit, 2.2ghz 320gb hdd, Bionicpup64 on a WD 500gb portable HDD.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

Nic, how do you access the Advanced settings.....or settings of any kind, come to that? In the PortableApps version, at least for me, there simply ARE no settings; no button for them, no rt-clk menu.....nothing.

Maybe I'm missing something?

EDIT:- Nah, scratch that. For me, at any rate, for some daft reason the JWM titlebar is almost covering the Sumatra titlebar. If I'm careful, I can access the Menu by clicking in the very top left-hand corner, just below the window titlebar.....there's a tiny blue space there, and clicking there brings the Menu up.

A bit fiddly, but "do-able".

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@GMBudwrench :-

GMBudwrench wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:31 am

I run the portable apps platform when I’m in Windows. I have no installed software on my laptop. Everything is dropped into a folder at the root. Sumatra is my main pdf reader. I was sold on its simplicity and the fact that it’s less than 10 or 12 MB’s in size. Unlike that beast Adobe offers.

Heh.

I did exactly the same during my last couple of years with XP. Did a fresh re-install of XP. Installed one single item; Comodo's FireWall. I used Internet Exploder to download a shed-load of stuff from PortableApps.com - including browsers, email clients, office stuff, graphics apps, etc. That was the first time I tried Sumatra, and liked it straight away.

I then made IE "unusable".....and ran everything from a folder in My-Documents. It worked well.

Many 'PortableApps' run pretty good under WINE in Puppy.....often better than their fully-installed siblings.

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:51 am

@amethyst :-

Nic, how do you access the Advanced settings.....or settings of any kind, come to that? In the PortableApps version, at least for me, there simply ARE no settings; no button for them, no rt-clk menu.....nothing.

Maybe I'm missing something?

EDIT:- Nah, scratch that. For me, at any rate, for some daft reason the JWM titlebar is almost covering the Sumatra titlebar. If I'm careful, I can access the Menu by clicking in the very top left-hand corner, just below the window titlebar.....there's a tiny blue space there, and clicking there brings the Menu up.

A bit fiddly, but "do-able".

Mike. ;)

I have an older version. There is an Advanced Option sub menu under the Settings tab. It's an ini (text) file that can be edited. You can for instance set a bold font which makes it nice for reading an ebook.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I am confused. Is this not a Windows-only app? Are you running it under Wine?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:06 pm

Yes, that's why this is in the Wine section of this forum.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

amethyst wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:15 pm
rcrsn51 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:06 pm

Yes, that's why this is in the Wine section of this forum.

My mistake. I missed that.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Screenshot.

Attachments
Sumatra.jpg
Sumatra.jpg (166.29 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
JewelRichie

Post by JewelRichie »

Yep. Works great with PDFs. Didn't know it operates so many files :roll: . Got used to convert ebooks to PDF online https://oneconvert.com/pdf-converter/ebooks-to-pdf.
I just have to try it right NOW :!:

Return to “WINE 32 Bit”