Browser Appimages

Moderator: Forum moderators

gilles

Re: Browser Appimages

Post by gilles »

Hi Fred,
Your new 32 bits slimjet appimage doesn't work.
With Xenial 32 bits, it, simply, destroys the task bar ! I had to shut down by writing poweroff in the terminal... But it is not a problem : I did this frugal install just to test your appimage.

I understand perfectly it is very dificult to build something in 32 bits without having a 32 bits computer to test the work done.

Thank you for your instructions to delete slimjet in the menu. It works.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi gilles, if the portable Slimjet 32-bit from mikewalsh works OK, it looks like that an appimage (in general perhaps?) doesn't work on your (probably old) 32-bit computer.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Hi Fred, i just tried the new slimjet appimage on Tahr32 6.0.6 and it seems fine here so far (at least with youtube, facebook and webmail) - so thanks for this version.
cheers!

xenial

Post by xenial »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:30 am

Hi gilles, if the portable Slimjet 32-bit from mikewalsh works OK, it looks like that an appimage (in general perhaps?) doesn't work on your (probably old) 32-bit computer.

Hello fred.
I can confirm that mike's portable slimjet does indeed work ok in xenial 32bit.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Most of the Browser Appimages that I shared at fist post are becoming outdated soon, to create a Browser Appimage from newest version, see: Create Browser Appimage

davids45

Re: Browser Appimages - importing bookmarks?

Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I'm setting up a new old laptop (Acer Asprire E1-531) and have several 64-bit Pups installed on a Puppy frugals partition (sda3).

I'm trying to use appimage or portable browsers from a data partition (sda5) and have a few running (e.g. Brave, Firefox, Librewolf) in Fossas and Slack Pups.

When I try to add bookmarks via a html file off my data partition using the particular Bookmark Manager which says add via a html file, nothing happens.

Does the html file need to be somewhere particular to be found by the browser (which says no files found using the browser manager) or how do I manually copy the html (or json) file into the AppImage if that's the only way to add my stored bookmarks?

What in particular do you need to know from me to solve this problem?

Thanks for any help.

muggins

Post by muggins »

Hello David,

I usually use Mike Walsh's or Fred's portable browsers, rather than appimages, but as a test, I just downloaded the latest
LibreWolf Appimage, made it executable, ran it then tried the import bookmarks option. Initially, trying to find a
bookmarks.html file, I had to click "Other locations" to have it locate & accept the file.

Perhaps if you run the browser appimage from the commandline, then try importing your bookmarks, it will give some
clues as to why it isn't working for you:

Code: Select all

./LibreWolf.x86_64.AppImage
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@davids45 :-

G'day, David. Long time no see....

'Portables'. Okay. Well, I can't speak for the 'zilla-based browsers - I don't use them very often - but there's an easy way to copy bookmarks with the Chromium-based 'clones'. IF you already have one set-up with all your bookmarks the way you want it, go into the profile -> Default.....and look for a file called, simply, 'Bookmarks'. For any other clone, once you have it running, just copy this file across to the same location in that browser's profile. Re-launch the new browser.....and I can guarantee your bookmarks will all be there, just as they were in the other one.

I've just thought of summat. I wonder if it would be possible to 'share' one, common 'Bookmarks' file between multiple browsers.....in the same sort of way we used to share a 'common' file-system between Pups in the old days (sym-linking from an external location?) That way, you save a new bookmark in one browser, it would be there in all the others.....

Hmm. I shall investigate!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

davids45

Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Thanks for the replies.

It's been a while since I had to set up a "new" computer with 'everything' so I have got out of practice in doing anything more than just every-day using Puppy as she was. And I'm trying to go all-64-bit, despite the gut-felt better 32-bit stability.

I've just about sorted out Firefox (ESR-Portable), sharing the Profile from my data partition via sym-links to the half a dozen Pups I've installed. Getting one Pup/FF set up with bookmarks, mostly manually, looks good so far.

If I get sufficiently 'grumpy' with Firefox, I may try to fully set up one of the Portable chrome-based browsers with my bookmarks by importing the html as suggested.

Going off topic, is there a Linux version of 'Dead-Links', a Windows program from years, if not centuries gone by, that would check every bookmark in one's bookmarks for being active and delete the dead ones? Worked under wine but I wasn't wanting to set up Wine again if I didn't need to.

Thanks again,
David S.

Return to “AppImages, Snaps and Flatpaks”