How to use Zoom in EasyOS?

Moderator: BarryK

Maybe

How to use Zoom in EasyOS?

Post by Maybe »

Здравствуйте, уважаемый Барри! Уже несколько месяцев использую EasyOS и мне очень нравится! Вы - талантливый человек, который создал потрясающее руководство как использовать EasyOS! Приятно читать и изучать. Все, действительно становится просто!

Я бы очень хотел установить в свою EasyOS программу Zoom. Но я не нашел ее в репозиториях .pet и .sfs. Я попробовал установить Zoom.deb, но это не получилось, Zoom не заработал.

Пожалуйста помогите установить Zoom в EasyOS.

Last edited by Flash on Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title: Zoom in EasyOS
ghoen

Re: Zoom in EasyOS

Post by ghoen »

Hello, dear Barry! I've been using EasyOS for a few months now and I love it!
You are a talented person who has created an amazing guide on how to use EasyOS!
It's a pleasure to read and study. It's really getting simple! I would really like to install Zoom in my EasyOS program.
But I didn't find it in the.pet and.sfs repositories.
I tried to install Zoom.deb, but it didn't work, Zoom didn't work.
Please help install Zoom in EasyOS.

just to make it easy ;) ;)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

ghoen wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:28 pm

Hello, dear Barry! I've been using EasyOS for a few months now and I love it!
You are a talented person who has created an amazing guide on how to use EasyOS!
It's a pleasure to read and study. It's really getting simple! I would really like to install Zoom in my EasyOS program.
But I didn't find it in the.pet and.sfs repositories.
I tried to install Zoom.deb, but it didn't work, Zoom didn't work.
Please help install Zoom in EasyOS.

just to make it easy ;) ;)

Which series of EasyOS are you using, Buster or Dunfell?

If Buster-series, there might be a zoom deb in the package repository. If Dunfell, you can't just install any deb, it probably won't work.

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

BarryK wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:32 pm

Which series of EasyOS are you using, Buster or Dunfell?

If Buster-series, there might be a zoom deb in the package repository. If Dunfell, you can't just install any deb, it probably won't work.

I am using Dunfell version. How to be? I really need to use Zoom for work.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Try the Buster-series. If no joy, try one of the puppies. There are posts on this forum where zoom PETs have been created for specific pups.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I have been using the ZOOM in Bionic 64 for 18 months and it is rock solid. I think that I downloaded the .deb from the ZOOm site and clicked on it to install. This process needed to be repeated a couple of times as older versions of ZOOM would not run anymore.

Getting audio in and out of a USB sound card was a it more tricky, so if you want to do that try dpupuster64 which has pulse audio on board.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Geek3579 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:43 am

I have been using the ZOOM in Bionic 64 for 18 months and it is rock solid. I think that I downloaded the .deb from the ZOOm site and clicked on it to install. This process needed to be repeated a couple of times as older versions of ZOOM would not run anymore.

Getting audio in and out of a USB sound card was a it more tricky, so if you want to do that try dpupuster64 which has pulse audio on board.

@Geek3579 :-

Was this a USB headset, by any chance? I don't run EasyOS - never even looked at it, TBH.......does it use Retrovol as the onboard sound mixer (and MultipleSoundCardWizard to select cards)?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

The setup was a USB cheapie external soundcard into which a two-plug (green-pink) headphone set was plugged.

To get Puppy to recognize the USB I had to use an old trick detailed in coderwall.com/p/k1hyga/fixing-the-sound-in-puppy-linux, a site which doesnt seem to be active now.

1) Right click on the speaker to configure, and change hw:0 to default
2) Determine the USB card/device number in the sound wizard, eg card 1, device 0
3) Edit a config file /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf changing the card 0 to eg card 1 in the following lines:
defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.rawmidi.card 1
defaults .hwdep.card 1
defaults.timer.card 1
[the device line listed under each .card line may need to be changed according to the device number in 2)]

4) Select the USB soundcard in the Soundcard wizard (there may be two device options...only one will work)
5) Right-click on the speaker logo the select the Hardware tab, and change the sound card to hw:1 as per the card number
6) Retrovol can then be used to set the levels of mic in and audio out,
(although I used a electret amp module to boost the mic sound level to reasonable levels...it was a cheap headset too.)

I am endebted to coderwall.com for this help, but it has appeared on the Puppy Forum since then, and i wrote an article about it here: http://smokey01.com/newsletters/2019/Ma ... y2019.html

Sigh...Its easier to use a puppy with pulseaudio built in....eg Dpupbuster64

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Ah, right; I see where you're coming from, now. You're using a standard headset with jack plugs, plugged into a USB sound card. I also went through the stage of experimenting with cheap add-ons (since Puppy was free, lightweight and kept really old hardware still functional.)

I had I don't know HOW many days/weeks/months of frustration messing about with trying to get headphones & microphone working via the built-in card. Eventually, I'd had enough. I realised that the only way to get all this to work properly was to actually spend a bit more money than I would have originally been comfortable with. I took a bit of a gamble, and invested around GBP £30 in a Logitech H340 headset (with built-in mike; swings up out of the way if you just want it as headphones).

The important factor here was the fact that it had its own sound card, built-in to the rather "chunky" USB connector. This was a revelation; you plugged it in, selected it via ALSAWizard, and.....it was recognised straight away, and it just 'worked'. Only two sliders to worry about, too; 'PCM Volume', and 'Mic Capture'.

-------------------------------

Having done a wee bit of research into these USB sound cards, it transpires that there ARE differences between the chips in cheap cards and those in more expensive ones. Not a massive amount, but enough so that where a dearer card will invariably be recognised straight away by the kernel, cheap ones often won't....or if they are, they won't be functioning properly.

Also, it seems the very fact of plugging audio jack plugs into a USB card further adds yet another layer of complication to the interfaces. If you have all this built-in, and wired-up internally, it simplifies things immensely.

Mike. ;)

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Please tell me, is it possible to install in EasyOS Zoom from sources? If possible, how to do it?

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

Maybe wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:48 am

Please tell me, is it possible to install in EasyOS Zoom from sources? If possible, how to do it?

Dmitry,
You can start from copying and reading https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... m-on-Linux if you want to try it with EasyOS's debian version, use the terminal instructions not the graphical installer, however the dependancies of a number of the dependancies may be the problem as we don't have them all already installed. If you go this way i sugest you start with installing the dependancies one at a time and use the "setup>check dependancies installed package EACH time you install EACH dependancy as they may have other required but missing dependancies.
regards
scsijon

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

BarryK wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:58 am

Try the Buster-series. If no joy, try one of the puppies. There are posts on this forum where zoom PETs have been created for specific pups.

Hello @BarryK . I took your advice and tried the EasyOS version of Buster. I downloaded zoom.deb and installed it. On first boot, Zoom asks me if I want to use sound. As soon as I turn on the sound, the zoom freezes. There are no problems with the image. Can you please tell me what can be done to fix the problem?

P.S. I tried @mikewalsh also self-paced Zoom version. The problem is the same. The video is normal, and when the sound is turned on, the Zoom freezes.

From Dmitry (Russia)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

This might help, Chrome SFS:

https://bkhome.org/news/202110/chrome-9 ... eated.html

I haven't tried it, but Chrome has a Zoom extension.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:35 am

Ah, right; I see where you're coming from, now. You're using a standard headset with jack plugs, plugged into a USB sound card. I also went through the stage of experimenting with cheap add-ons (since Puppy was free, lightweight and kept really old hardware still functional.)

/snip
Mike. ;)

Been there done that with bluetooth and wifi. The frustrating thing is there is no way to know if you got a bad one or if the chip won't work with your software even though it's a good one.

Paying the extra $10 to buy something from Adafuit etc or one of the real supply houses instead of ebay is worth it sometimes.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@dancytron :-

dancytron wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:10 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:35 am

/snip
Mike. ;)

Been there done that with bluetooth and wifi. The frustrating thing is there is no way to know if you got a bad one or if the chip won't work with your software even though it's a good one.

Paying the extra $10 to buy something from Adafuit etc or one of the real supply houses instead of ebay is worth it sometimes.

Huh. You talk about "frustration", Dan.... What I'm finding frustrating with Easy is this; the kernel recognises the internal audio card. The audio set-up, including MultipleSoundCardWizard, acknowledges it, and even goes so far as to set it up for you. BUT.......the OS itself itself doesn't seem to know what the hell to do with it! It's the only thing that's spoiling it for me.

I mean, what gives? This is 2021, fer chrissakes; surely to God we're beyond having to manually edit .conf files to get stuff working.....aren't we? I don't get what this "default & only sink" MEANS, even.....much less knowing how to fix it.

The only two things I'm thinking is either missing firmware, or permissions....????

Mike. :?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:59 pm

Huh. You talk about "frustration", Dan.... What I'm finding frustrating with Easy is this; the kernel recognises the internal audio card. The audio set-up, including MultipleSoundCardWizard, acknowledges it, and even goes so far as to set it up for you. BUT.......the OS itself itself doesn't seem to know what the hell to do with it! It's the only thing that's spoiling it for me.

I mean, what gives? This is 2021, fer chrissakes; surely to God we're beyond having to manually edit .conf files to get stuff working.....aren't we? I don't get what this "default & only sink" MEANS, even.....much less knowing how to fix it.

The only two things I'm thinking is either missing firmware, or permissions....????

Mike,
Is this an experience on EasyOS that you are reporting? In an earlier post in this thread, you said that you have never used EasyOS.

If so, could you please post what audio hardware you have.

What do you mean by "default & only sink" -- where do you get that message?

Regarding USB audio, I have had the experience of some chips not working. There are some Chinese copies, that are actually branded as though they are the genuine chip, but they aren't, they are an inferior chip.

I might buy some more audio hardware for testing, but only with genuine chips.

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

BarryK wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:22 pm

Dear @BarryK thank you very much for trying to make EasyOS even more functional. Thank you for hearing my request! It is very nice!

I installed Chrome and tried the Zoom addon. Result: the browser and add-on does not see the camera and does not see the microphone. Here are my steps:

1. I plugged a USB webcam into the laptop. After installing Chrome, I installed the Zoom add-on. By the way, I want to note that Chrome, as a browser, works amazingly in EasyOS!
2. Configured the Zoom add-on. Logged into my Zoom account. Microphone, camera, notifications, USB devices - allow.
3. I create my own conference. I'm starting a conference. The camera and microphone are not working (reports that no devices were found).

From Dmitry (Russia)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Maybe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:48 am

Dear @BarryK thank you very much for trying to make EasyOS even more functional. Thank you for hearing my request! It is very nice!

I installed Chrome and tried the Zoom addon. Result: the browser and add-on does not see the camera and does not see the microphone. Here are my steps:

1. I plugged a USB webcam into the laptop. After installing Chrome, I installed the Zoom add-on. By the way, I want to note that Chrome, as a browser, works amazingly in EasyOS!
2. Configured the Zoom add-on. Logged into my Zoom account. Microphone, camera, notifications, USB devices - allow.
3. I create my own conference. I'm starting a conference. The camera and microphone are not working (reports that no devices were found).

I presume that you installed Chrome to the main desktop?

Try installing it to a container. Click "sfsget" and choose to install in its own container. Then you will get an icon on the desktop, labelled "chrome".

See if that is any better at finding the devices.

mikewalsh

Re: How to use Zoom in EasyOS?

Post by mikewalsh »

@BarryK :-

I've been playing around with EasyOS 'Buster' 2.6.2 for a few weeks on a 32GB SanDisk USB 3.1/3.2 Ultra 'Fit' nano-sized thumb drive. I'm running a whole bunch of my 'portable' apps from sdc2.

This is all on a mainline HP Pavilion desktop rig, less than 2 years old. I can't really give you specific audio chip details, because both PupSysInfo AND HardInfo show it as simply a part of the internal, on-die northbridge/southbridge chipset. There IS no separate 'model number' as such.....just the reference to

Intel Corporation Cannon Lake PCH cAVS [8086:a348]

The stupid thing is, my wireless 'full' headphones work perfectly. These use a wireless dongle.....they're NOT Bluetooth, as so many are. I hunted around a long time to find these, because the dongle contains its own audio chip; just two controls, and these things just 'work', everywhere.

Internal audio, though, ahh.....that's another matter entirely.

I installed that 'patched' Retrovol .pet someone supplied for Easy....or was it Quirky? Anyway, it worked fine for a while, but around 2 weeks ago it just quit. One moment it was working, the next.....nothing. And I've had no internal audio since then.

Trying to set-up audio/video components in Google 'Duo'/Google 'Meet'/Jitsi 'Meet'/Zoom, etc, all I get is 'default & only sink'. No other options. They all insist there's no microphone on the system... Bollocks. I have three of 'em; one in the wireless headset, and a stereo pair in the Logitech webcam. But Easy can't "see" any of them, for some strange reason. Easy doesn't use PulseAudio, does it? 'Cos that's the only time I've ever come across these kinds of references before; when the dreadful PA is installed. Which I hate with a vengeance....

I don't mind using headphones, but I don't want to have to use them all the time, like. Every Puppy sees everything, and has no issue connecting to anything. So why can't Easy?

Mike. :?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I have created a firefox SFS, see blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202110/firefox- ... eated.html

Firefox also has a Zoom plugin!

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hello!

I updated my EasyOS to 3.1 and installed Chrome.sfs, Firefox.sfs. I have successfully installed these apps on both container and desktop.
1. Firefox in a container
2. Chrome in a container
3. Firefox on the desktop
4. Chrome on the desktop

In each variant, I have installed the zoom browser app.

Following the instructions, I have provided permissions for sound, microphone, video in the browser zoom app.

The result with Chrome is failure. The system cannot find the camcorder (USB Web-Cam Logitech c270) and the microphone built into this camcorder.

I am sad :( .

The Zoom Firefox app in the container crashes when you enter your Zoom account login and password.

But in Firefox on the desktop, the Zoom app works well. The laptop's built-in microphone works fine. Only does not see USB Web-Cam, video or microphone. Reports that the device was not found
Tried @mikewalsh portable zoom again. The application detects the video camera, but freezes when it joins the conference. I cannot check the sound.

From Dmitry (Russia)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Maybe wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:35 am

But in Firefox on the desktop, the Zoom app works well. The laptop's built-in microphone works fine. Only does not see USB Web-Cam, video or microphone. Reports that the device was not found

See some discussion here:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175690273/

Do you have 'uvcvideo' kernel module loaded?

# lsmod | grep uvcvideo

If not, load it:

# modprobe uvcvideo

According to modinfo:

# modinfo uvcvideo

...the module should automatically load if a compatible usb video device is plugged in.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@BarryK / @Maybe :-

Thought I'd take a quick look at the Chrome extension for Zoom. Works very well indeed.

• Click the extension icon

• Sign in the first time (after that Chrome remembers it)

• Start Meeting (with video on)

• Upon clicking the 'Launch Meeting' box on the next screen, up pops the 'Open with xdg-open' box. This never, EVER works correctly in Puppy - or it doesn't for ME - so I click on 'Join by browser' down toward the bottom of the page. Bob's yr Uncle.....up comes the video screen, which first asks for permission to show notifications, then asks for permission to use the webcam the first time. It then asks you to confirm that you want to 'Join by computer audio', after which it'll ask permission to use your microphone.

Once the main display is up-and-running, set default microphone/speakers from the selection 'drop-down' in the bottom left-hand corner.

---------------------------

This is pretty neat for me. I can now do all my video calling in the one place; Skype - Google's 'Duo' - Google's 'Meet' (offspring of Hangouts) - Jitsi's 'Meet'.....and now Zoom, too. Nice one!

@Maybe :-

You WILL have issues with the mike in Firefox. FF is hardcoded - by default - to always use the 'default' system microphone. I tested this a while back; you have to set a microphone as the system default one.

If you're using a laptop, of course, it usually has just the one.....which normally activates along with the webcam. Desktops are another story.....with these, you can of course have multiple audio input sources plugged in. IF you're using a separate microphone that you plug-in yourself, this can be selected through the MultipleSoundCardWizard. Webcam mikes, however, are simply not "seen" by the browser in the same way that any other kind of microphone is.....quite possibly because a webcam's card has no playback options, being input ONLY..? (Just a theory....)

It's also impossible to set a webcam's microphone as the system default in Firefox.....though Chrome, strangely, is quite happy to do so..!

If I set my headset as the default speaker/microphone combination, then Firefox is content with it. Webcam mikes, however.....uh-uh.

Mike. ;)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:33 pm

@BarryK / @Maybe :-

Thought I'd take a quick look at the Chrome extension for Zoom. Works very well indeed.

• Click the extension icon

• Sign in the first time (after that Chrome remembers it)

• Start Meeting (with video on)

• Upon clicking the 'Launch Meeting' box on the next screen, up pops the 'Open with xdg-open' box. This never, EVER works correctly in Puppy - or it doesn't for ME - so I click on 'Join by browser' down toward the bottom of the page. Bob's yr Uncle.....up comes the video screen, which asks for permission to use the webcam the first time. It then asks you to confirm that you want to 'Join by computer audio', after which it'll ask permission to use your microphone.

Once the main display is up-and-running, set default microphone/speakers from the selection 'drop-down' in the bottom left-hand corner.

Mike,
Which pup are you doing that on?

I might run the same pup, so that I can see what Zoom is supposed to look like when it works.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@BarryK :-

I'm using the Chrome-portable I build for the community. This runs fine under Xenialpup64, Bionicpup64 and Fossapup64, though if you want a specific Puppy, use Bionicpup64; that's where I spend most of my time ATM.

Mike. ;)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Maybe wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:48 am

A clarification. The answer is no.
Zoom is a commercial closed-source project, you cannot compile it.
Well, I am not aware of them having the source available.

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hey!

I tested the new Firefox on Easy 3.1.10. I will describe in steps what I did

1. Before upgrading to the previous version of Easy, I completely uninstalled the old Firefox.
2. In clean Firefox installed by default in Easy 3.1.10 I installed the Zoom plugin from the official site
3. Launched the conference!

Sound result: in the new version of Firefox, the Zoom plug-in sees the built-in microphone of the laptop, as well as the USB Web Cam microphone (In the previous version of Easy Zoom in Firefox, only the built-in microphone of the laptop was detected). Now you can choose which microphone to use during a Zoom!

Result about video: Zoom in Firefox in Easy 3.1.10 unfortunately does not see the web cam connected via USB. My laptop does not have a built-in camera, this is an unusual fact for laptops, and yet it is a fact! And here's another observation of mine: the image of other Zoom conference participants with very slows

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

There is also good news!

In the new version Easy 3.1.10 I tried the portable version Zoom @mikewalsh and (joy!) Zoom works! I'm jumping for happiness! Here's a link: viewtopic.php?t=1983

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Maybe wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:28 am

There is also good news!

In the new version Easy 3.1.10 I tried the portable version Zoom @mikewalsh and (joy!) Zoom works! I'm jumping for happiness! Here's a link: viewtopic.php?t=1983

Great news!

And it sees your usb webcam?

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

BarryK wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:01 am

And it sees your usb webcam?

Yes! 8-)

Return to “EasyOS”