No sound in Youtube videos on Firefox 78.0.2(64bit)

Moderator: Forum moderators

mohittomar13

No sound in Youtube videos on Firefox 78.0.2(64bit)

Post by mohittomar13 »

So here is an another issue I recently run into. Actually I'm new to puppy, just started using it about 5 days ago.

System details in signature below.

There is no sound in youtube videos on firefox. This issue is not with palemoon, there the videos play without any issue. The barking sound is also working in the system settings.

Is this an issue with the firefox or with the puuppy??

Thanks

Laptop: Dell 3568
CPU: intel i3 6006U
RAM: 12 Gigs
4GB-micron + 8GB-kingston

yeah, it works.. :D
HDD: 1TB
OS: Tripple boot- (Windows-10, Xubuntu-20.4LTs, Bionic Puppy) 64Bit

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: No sound in Youtube videos on Firefox 78.0.2(64bit)

Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

you need apulse to call the launch script for firefox to work in most puppies. this is my firefox.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox Web Browser
Exec=apulse /opt/firefox/firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Internet
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/internet.svg
GenericName=web browser

if firefox runs from the terminal from just the firefox command, all you need is apulse firefox to run it. if it's installed off the $PATH (terminal won't launch firefox--alternately you can use which firefox to check (you won't get a response)), find it and change the exec line above to point to the firefox script inside the firefox folder (wherever it is--highlight it with the mouse and middle click it into the desktop file). if you installed via pet you should already have a desktop file. if so, just open it with a text editor and add the apulse and a space in front of whatever the existing Exec line is and save the file.

fixmenus; jwm -reload
in the terminal will make sure your menu's using the updated file (though you could just click it for now and wait for the menu to update next time you install something).

hth

-pd
mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

I followed your instructions and made changes to my fiirefox.desktop file. But it didn't work. Following are some outputs from commands I ran on my system.

Code: Select all

root@puppyPC5832:~# which firefox
/usr/bin/firefox
root@puppyPC5832:~# find / -name "*firefox*.desktop"
/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
root@puppyPC5832:~# cat /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop | wc -l 
root@puppyPC5832:~# cp /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ./firefoxDesktop.bak
root@puppyPC5832:~# vim.basic /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
root@puppyPC5832:~# diff /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ./firefoxDesktop.bak 
153c153
< Exec=apulse firefox
---
> Exec=firefox
200c200
< Exec=apulse firefox -new-window
---
> Exec=firefox -new-window
222c222
< Exec=apulse firefox -private-window
---
> Exec=firefox -private-window
My firefox.desktop file contains 222 lines, so I thought to first mention the output of diff command instead of plainly copy/pasting the entire file.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If this is Bionicpup64 8.0.

Quickpet icon on desktop.
First run Quickpet->Info->bionicpup updates

Reboot so the changes and bug fixes are now being used.

May need to install this apulse pet package
viewtopic.php?p=1128#p1128

How exactly did you install Firefox???
Details?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Puppus Dogfellow

mohittomar13 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:33 pm I followed your instructions and made changes to my fiirefox.desktop file. But it didn't work. Following are some outputs from commands I ran on my system.

/usr/bin/firefox
root@puppyPC5832:~# find / -name "*firefox*.desktop"
/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
root@puppyPC5832:~# cat /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop | wc -l 
root@puppyPC5832:~# cp /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ./firefoxDesktop.bak
root@puppyPC5832:~# vim.basic /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop
root@puppyPC5832:~# diff /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop ./firefoxDesktop.bak 
153c153
< Exec=apulse firefox
---
> Exec=firefox
200c200
< Exec=apulse firefox -new-window
---
> Exec=firefox -new-window
222c222
< Exec=apulse firefox -private-window
---
> Exec=firefox -private-window
My firefox.desktop file contains 222 lines, so I thought to first mention the output of diff command instead of plainly copy/pasting the entire file.

Thanks for your help :thumbup:
does apulse firefox in the terminal work?
what's the output of which apulse?

desktop files are generally in /usr/share/applications/ so you don't need to knock yourself out trying to find them. your firefox was installed on the $PATH, which means commands run in the terminal or from the desktop file don't need their paths specified (as in the case with my example). apulse should be on your path, if not, install it.

when running the commands in the terminal, don't use Exec=--that's just for the desktop files (if i read your post correctly).

if you get a response from which apulse, apulse firefox should work (and so should the clicked .desktop file).
foxpup

Post by foxpup »

Would apulse firefox work if firefox is a script and not a binary?
Maybe have to check that.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Y'know, it's interesting that out of several replies to this thread, only bigpup has mentioned that you actually need to INSTALL apulse before all the above will work..... :roll:

It doesn't come with Puppy by default, after all, now does it guys?

---------------------------------------------

@ mohittomar13:- It's all down to the fact that Puppy uses ALSA by default, where mainstream distros all use PulseAudio running as an extra layer on top of the underlying ALSA "backend". Firefox was coded to look for, and expect Lennart Poettering's monstrosity, so because it doesn't find it in Puppy, you don't get any sound.

This is where apulse comes into play, because it fools any application that looks for PulseAudio into thinking it's installed.....while at the same time, translating the PulseAudio code back into commands that ALSA can use directly.

Hope that clarifies things.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Puppus Dogfellow

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:43 pm [...]
does apulse firefox in the terminal work?
what's the output of which apulse?

desktop files are generally in /usr/share/applications/ so you don't need to knock yourself out trying to find them. your firefox was installed on the $PATH, which means commands run in the terminal or from the desktop file don't need their paths specified (as in the case with my example). apulse should be on your path, if not, install it.

when running the commands in the terminal, don't use Exec=--that's just for the desktop files (if i read your post correctly).

if you get a response from which apulse, apulse firefox should work (and so should the clicked .desktop file).

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:12 pm Y'know, it's interesting that out of several replies to this thread, only bigpup has mentioned that you actually need to INSTALL apulse before all the above will work..... :roll:

[...]

Mike. ;)
i don't remember if it came with my installation, but you're now the third to mention it.
Puppus Dogfellow

foxpup wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:42 pm Would apulse firefox work if firefox is a script and not a binary?
Maybe have to check that.
works fine. just made a script fftest, which only contains the line firefox. opened a terminal, ran apulse ./fftest, and it ran with sound playing.

(fwiw, test file was Dalek I Love You: Ambition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0oxztJsQOY)

so it's running off a wrapper script in a temp folder that's pointing to a symlink in /usr/bin/ that's pointing to binary in /opt/firefox/ with no problems (but it is interesting to note the little firefox wrapper scripts that came in their downloads are now binaries (unless that's how they always were and i'm just misremembering it)).
mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Running the commands generates the following output

root@puppyPC5832:~# which apulse
/usr/bin/apulse
Also running "apulse firefox" command is also launches firefox, but it is not working.

I also used the "quickpet" and updated the packages. Updates were about 16MB in size.

I also downloaded the apulse.pet package as suggested by bigpup but still it is not working.. :cry: :cry:

mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

Should I uninstall and reinstall firefox?

Puppus Dogfellow

mohittomar13 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:06 am Should I uninstall and reinstall firefox?
mohittomar13 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:04 am Thanks everyone :thumbup:

Running the commands generates the following output

root@puppyPC5832:~# which apulse
/usr/bin/apulse
Also running "apulse firefox" command is also launches firefox, but it is not working.

I also used the "quickpet" and updated the packages. Updates were about 16MB in size.

I also downloaded the apulse.pet package as suggested by bigpup but still it is not working.. :cry: :cry:

no error code popped up in the terminal?

seems like the system thinks it's okay, and i have the same ff setup working on three bionic 64s, so maybe uninstall and reinstall everything. if firefox itself is working, maybe you just need to reinstall apulse. where'd you get your firefox from? i suppose it couldn't hurt to reinstall that as well--kind of like how banging on a machine sometimes gets it to work. did you try rebooting?

sorry i can't give you more definitive help.
mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

I installed firefox from the install icon (PPM - GUI) on the desktop. No problem, I will remove firefox and apulse and start afresh. How to remove these packages? On Kubuntu I used to run "sudo apt-get remove 'package name' " is there something similar for puppy?

But thanks for all your help. Actually I'm new to puppy and just started using it about 5 days ago. Once I understand how the OS is organised I would be able to figure out most part myself. I believe then I might not need that much help.

Thank you :thumbup2: :thumbup:

Puppus Dogfellow

mohittomar13 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:20 am I installed firefox from the install icon (PPM - GUI) on the desktop. No problem, I will remove firefox and apulse and start afresh. How to remove these packages? On Kubuntu I used to run "sudo apt-get remove 'package name' " is there something similar for puppy?

But thanks for all your help. Actually I'm new to puppy and just started using it about 5 days ago. Once I understand how the OS is organised I would be able to figure out most part myself. I believe then I might not need that much help.

Thank you :thumbup2: :thumbup:
there's an uninstall button on the ppm. it usually has the most recently added pets/debs/rpms listed at the bottom of the window that pops up.

the firefox from their website is bound to be more up to date than whatever's in the repos, especially on an older pup. i usually unpack their package, put it in opt, and use the desktop file i showed you earlier. alternately you can keep your old desktop file (use your backup since the original will be removed with the uninstall) and symlink the firefox launcher to /usr/bin (you'd be able to launch with apulse firefox as opposed to apulse /path/to/firefox/firefox (the packages are usually a wrapper around a folder called firefox that contains the firefox executable)).

(to symlink, just drag the file from one folder to the other and choose symlink from the popup menu)
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Puppy Package Manager(PPM)->Uninstall

I would keep apulse installed by the apulse pet package.
When you get Firefox uninstalled.
Reboot to make sure the change is saved.

Note:
PPM is good for getting programs, but it is easy to select the wrong thing.
It will lists parts of programs, along with the complete program package.
Also, it is best if you first try to download from a Puppy repository.
Example:
PPM in Bionicpup will show several Ubuntu Bionic repositories.
Software in them was compiled for Ubuntu Bionic.
Most will also work in Bionicpup64 8.0, but not 100%.
Some will need added dependency files and programs.

Try using Quickpet->Browsers->Firefox to do the install.

I know that is not the latest Firefox, but sound should work.
If sound now works.
Updating Firefox is easy.

Forum Global Moderator

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ mohittomar13:-

Looks like it's time we introduced you to the Puppy world of 'portable' browsers, mate..!

Fredx181 started the ball rolling nearly 2 years ago, when he put together a 'portable' version of Firefox, just after Quantum took over. As he said, he couldn't really take credit for inventing the idea, because the basics of the script that made it possible had been kicking around the internet for several years.....but it works because most browsers have all their 'guts' inside a single directory. All that's needed is to tell them to write their profiles within that same directory, and to make sure they always use that profile.

Shortly after Fred threw that together, I took the idea and adapted it to Pale Moon, the lightweight Firefox 'fork'. Suited me back then, since I was running far less capable hardware than I am now. That was followed by a portable Firefox ESR, then by a portable SeaMonkey, and a couple of special versions of Pale Moon using a self-contained newer glibc, to permit use of newer Pale Moon with older Puppies on really old hardware.

I then turned my attention to the Chromium-based 'clones'.....including Chrome itself.

I'd been a Chrome man ever since the beta test program was launched back in September 2008. I'd been a staunch FF user till then, but Firefox was having memory leaks and serious crashing issues at that point in time, and I was getting really fed up with it. Chrome fitted the bill; it was light (not so much nowadays!), extremely stable, and sizzlingly fast. It was my go-to browser for many years.

I'd always wanted to build a Linux portable Chrome, along the lines of the MyCrudSoft version produced by PortableApps.com. It was a slightly more rocky road, due to the need for the wrapper-script for launching, and all the stupid 'security' restrictions Google have steadily introduced over the years. My first 'clone' effort was Opera; worked okay, but needed several tweaks & modifications before it was really usable. With Fred's assistance, and that of several other forum members, we finally got the thing licked into shape.

Having got the basics down pat, Iron, Chrome, Vivaldi, Brave and Yandex followed in quick succession. Top & bottom of the matter is that I now maintain a whole stable of 'portable' browsers for Puppy; I like to provide a choice, and not everyone likes doing the same things in the same way. It may seem like overkill, but browsers are the glue that hold on-line communities together, so it's in our own interests to make sure there's a good range available.....and to my mind, portables fit Puppy to a tee.

(I also don't mind using Firefox these days; with the introduction of Quantum, FF has finally become the browser it could have been so many years ago, were it not for all the in-fighting & back-stabbing in the Mozilla camp.)

----------------------------------------------------

If you have a look through the 'Browsers' section of my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wk1QdHWJNFGVXhoGYVqw6IheVDSzM748?usp=sharing

.....you can see for yourself what's available. Have a 'browse', and help yourself. Let us know if that helps at all.

The principle behind the portables is very simple. Download it; unzip it; place it anywhere you want.....though not inside the save-file/folder, obviously. /mnt/home is a good choice, though you can run these things from a flash drive for true 'portability'. Click to enter the portable's directory, then click on the 'LAUNCH' script to fire it up. Easy-peasy.

You can drag the 'Launch' script to the desktop as a shortcut if you want, and tart it up with an icon if you prefer.....

Mike. ;)

mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

It's funny, I removed firefox using ppm-gui. The version it showed was 78.0.2. Later I ran

/usr/bin/firefox
And it generated the above result. When I typed firefox in Terminal and pressed entered it launched firefox. I checked the ppm and it doesn't show firefox in the list of installed applications.

I was confused so I checked the file in /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop and I found the file (which I thought was deleted when I removed firefox).

After this I ran

root@puppyPC5832:~# apulse firefox
And, firefox ran without any audio issue this time, but only once, now it is again giving the same audio problem.

I guess I will use palemoon for now. May new puppy version solve this issue. Anyways I'm happy with puppy's speed. It doesn't my waste time in other important stuff that I use my laptop for.

Thanks everyone, thank you for trying to help me.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Probably that PPM install of Firefox did not get all the info it needed, to know what exactly got installed.
Thus what exactly to uninstall.

I would still suggest installing Firefox from Quickpet->Browser

Forum Global Moderator

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ mohittomar13:-

You need to make that "apulse" bit of the exec line persistent, so that it executes every time. I assume I'm right in thinking you DO have apulse installed, yes?

Make sure the firefox directory is sitting in /opt, your .desktop entry wants to look something like this:-

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Firefox Quantum
Comment=Browse the web
Exec=apulse /opt/firefox/firefox
Icon=quantum.png
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Categories=X-Internet;
In fact, to make it easier for ya, I've attached a Menu-Entry .pet to this post. Make sure the firefox directory is in /opt, as I mentioned above, then install the .pet. It'll show as 'Firefox Quantum' in Menu->Internet.

The other suggestion I was going to make would be to try another Puppy. DPup Buster 64 by josejp2424 has actually been built with & set-up to use PulseAudio by default, just like the "big boy" mainstream distros. After Kubuntu you may find it easier to get on with.

Mike. ;)
Attachments
Firefox-MenuEntry.pet
Menu entry .pet for Firefox in standard /opt location...
(77.16 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

Had to switch back to Kubuntu for a while as it was my main OS for over 7 years and copied some files to puppy.

So today I installed firefox using quickpet as suggested by @bigpup and the sound is working. So finally we all together fixed the issue. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone. I guess by the end of me configuring puppy the way I wanted, I would have my own a kind of Forum :lol: :thumbup:

williams2

Post by williams2 »

mikewalsh wrote:
only bigpup has mentioned that you actually need to INSTALL apulse before all the above will work ...
From the OPs signature:

Yes, Bionic puppy 64Bit comes with apulse.
Not all Pups come with apulse.

# find /initrd/pup_ro2/ | grep -i apulse
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/bin/apulse
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse/libpulse-mainloop-glib.so
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse/libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse/libpulse-simple.so
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse/libpulse-simple.so.0
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse/libpulse.so
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse/libpulse.so.0
/initrd/pup_ro2/usr/lib/apulse/libpulsecommon-5.0.so
/initrd/pup_ro2/var/log/packages/apulse-0.1.6-x86_64
/initrd/pup_ro2/var/packages/builtin_files/apulse
# 
If apulse is added to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (in /etc/profile) then programs that need apulse would just work.
Maybe apulse is not in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH because it would cause problems with other programs, like Audacious or Audacity etc?
I haven't tried it.

By the way, ogg123 tries to use pulseaudio by default, because /etc/libao.conf has the line:
default_driver=pulseaudio

I changed it to default_driver=alsa, which works with ogg123.
It doesn't seem to affect Firefox or Opera etc.
xenial

Post by xenial »

mohittomar13 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:50 pm It's funny, I removed firefox using ppm-gui. The version it showed was 78.0.2. Later I ran

/usr/bin/firefox
And it generated the above result. When I typed firefox in Terminal and pressed entered it launched firefox. I checked the ppm and it doesn't show firefox in the list of installed applications.

I was confused so I checked the file in /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop and I found the file (which I thought was deleted when I removed firefox).

After this I ran

root@puppyPC5832:~# apulse firefox
And, firefox ran without any audio issue this time, but only once, now it is again giving the same audio problem.

I guess I will use palemoon for now. May new puppy version solve this issue. Anyways I'm happy with puppy's speed. It doesn't my waste time in other important stuff that I use my laptop for.

Thanks everyone, thank you for trying to help me.
Just to add.
Whenever i uninstall software i use the pfind utility to find remnants.
oliverjames

Post by oliverjames »

bigpup wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:49 am

Puppy Package Manager(PPM)->Uninstall

I would keep apulse installed by the apulse pet package.
When you get Firefox uninstalled.
Reboot to make sure the change is saved.

Note:
PPM is good for getting programs, but it is easy to select the wrong thing.
It will lists parts of programs, along with the complete program package.
Also, it is best if you first try to download from a Puppy repository.
Example:
PPM in Bionicpup will show several Ubuntu Bionic repositories.
Software in them was compiled for Ubuntu Bionic.
Most will also work in Bionicpup64 8.0, but not 100%.
Some will need added dependency files and programs.

Try using Quickpet->Browsers->Firefox to do the install.

I know that is not the latest Firefox, but sound should work.
If sound now works.
Updating Firefox is easy.

The simplest solutions re often the best. This worked for me on the latest Fossapup. Firefox updated and now streaming Youtube nicely.

mog

Post by mog »

Hi All,
I've read through this thread and tried all the things suggested that are relevant to my system, I'm running Bionicpup32 so no Quick pet, are there any work arounds that relate to a 32 bit OS? I still haven't been able to get the Firefox sound on youtube. In fairness I can't get sound at all, I've just tried Classic FM and no sound there either, although both work on my other browser Falkon. Firefox is uptodate version 86.032bit.

Beers
mog

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello mog,
I tested Firefox-86.0 (from mozilla) in BionicPup32 and it all works including sound so long as you are taking steps to load the apulse libraries correctly.
There is my 32bit apulse .PET package here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0 ... 686-wz.pet
You may need to install that if you do not have a suitable apulse already.
Then the problem in advising you is that I dont know how you have installed firefox and I don't know what you have set up in terms of scripts, symlinks, menu entries or whatever in order to launch firefox.
Typing apulse firefox in terminal should work (with above package installed).
Otherwise, reply with more information about what you have done so far and I (or someone) will try to give you step by step guidance.

Attachments
soundok.jpg
soundok.jpg (100.87 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
mog

Post by mog »

Hi OscarTalks,

Sir, you are a genius! So that others know the situation..
Firefox was from PPM,once installed I updated it to the latest version, (open firefox/menu/settings/about [auto update from there]). I had already tried "apulse firefox" in terminal and also adding it to the text file of Firefox desktop, none of which worked.
Enter Genius in Chief Oscar, I deleted apulse using the "Remove Built in Packages Tool" and then installed the package from the mighty Oscar and all now works, I can listen to classic FM whilst mis-typing messages.
Just need to fix the fn+F* key now and all will be well.

Many thanks to all, but especially OscarTalks.

You've made an old man very happy!

mog

Return to “Sounds”