Anybody used Proton email in Puppy?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Fishy

Anybody used Proton email in Puppy?

Post by Fishy »

I want increased security and stumbled on Proton email. Anybody have an idea if it can be Puppy friendly?

Using Fosspup 9.5

John :?:

sonny

Re: Proton Email

Post by sonny »

Puppy friendly?
Is it like this friendly?
https://github.com/Steccas/ProtonClient ... -amd64.deb

sonny

Post by sonny »

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

doesnt proton use a webmail interface? a browser would be needed

sonny

Post by sonny »

williwaw wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:12 am

doesnt proton use a webmail interface? a browser would be needed

It does but Proton's own mail client is in the works I heard.
I was trying to interpret the "friendly" thing ...

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

imap/pop/smtp access needs a paid account last time I looked

sonny

Post by sonny »

williwaw wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:40 am

imap/pop/smtp access needs a paid account last time I looked

Will, Proton seems to be nothing but bunch of good-hearted people.
I tell everyone about them. At least one of my friends, signed up for their Visionary Plan.
Do you know that using ProtonVPN on your smartphone (not on Wi-Fi) "multiplies" your internet speed?
Even with its Free Plan!

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

the world needs more folks like that!
Hope I was not coming across as to negative, just passing along a few not so obvious requirements.

sonny

Post by sonny »

williwaw wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:11 am

the world needs more folks like that!
Hope I was not coming across as to negative, just passing along a few not so obvious requirements.

Will, our true value as human beings is how useful we are to "others", not to "ourselves".

As for me, happiness is just a byproduct of usefulness.
The more useful I am to others, the happier I'll be.

"Open source" is as open as in open eyes, open heart, open arms, and open mind!
I know there are some great great people out there in the open source community.

Null_ID

Re: Anybody used Proton email in Puppy?

Post by Null_ID »

Fishy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 pm

I want increased security and stumbled on Proton email. Anybody have an idea if it can be Puppy friendly?

Using Fosspup 9.5

I've been using Protonmail's free plan for years now. No issues whatsoever. All modern browsers supported, even the currently struggling Pale Moon, which is my recommendation here for using the web client, because Pale Moon doesn't have invasive telemetry as per currently available information. I'm currently on FredX181 Fossadog, but Fatdog, FossaPup, XenialPup et al have demonstrated no issues. I browse RAM only, without persistence, so my browsing history will be wiped on every reboot. I'd say this is the safest webmail experience you will ever get.

sonny

Post by sonny »

Null_ID wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:46 pm
Fishy wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:41 pm

Using Fosspup 9.5

I've been using Protonmail's free plan for years now. No issues whatsoever. All modern browsers supported, even the currently struggling Pale Moon, which is my recommendation here for using the web client, because Pale Moon doesn't have invasive telemetry as per currently available information. I'm currently on FredX181 Fossadog, but Fatdog, FossaPup, XenialPup et al have demonstrated no issues. I browse RAM only, without persistence, so my browsing history will be wiped on every reboot. I'd say this is the safest webmail experience you will ever get.

Mr. Warith, Linux Kodachi's lone developer, once mentioned that he didn't necessarily trust" his own Kodachi.
"Spread" our trust in order to anticipate and to protect ourselves from any form of "betrayal".
That's s.a.n.i.t.y.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

I use protonmail via a web browser. Note mailbox size is only 500mb.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

sonny wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:06 pm

Or this friendly?
https://github.com/vladimiry/ElectronMa ... -amd64.deb

This electron-mail is a third party email client for Proton Mail. Best I can tell, it even works with the free version of Proton, which the native Proton bridge client doesnt. I think Proton is maybe one of best options for a free email. BUT it doesnt have a native way to download backups of email other than one by one. I assume this is partly to encourage one to upgrade to paid account that offers at least imap. Cause when you run out of space you either have to delete your stored email or upgrade. Even imap isnt best for downloading email, but can be done. Nothing anymore seems much geared to local storage of anything. Call me old fashion, but I seriously prefer pop3. Anyway this Electron Mail is supposed to be able to download and store Proton emails.

Anyway I downloaded the appimage version Electron Mail. It runs in EasyOS fine, but not sure if I didnt do something right or what, but not seeing anything except green bar saying data loading.... forever. Should I see the Proton web interface or what?

Anybody using Electron Mail and care to give a short "Idiots Guide" to getting it to do something more than "data loading" appreciate it. Even just figuring out if its actually connected or just "trying" and "spinning its wheels" be worth something.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I took a look at this. I do HAVE a ProtonMail a/c, though it rarely sees any use. Mine gets accessed through the browser, and I'm quite happy doing that.

I got it running as a 'portable', then ground to a stop. API entry level points? CSS selection....huh? WTF?? And then I found out it's basically POP3. Uh.....nope. Not even remotely interested. NEVER HAVE BEEN.

So I binned it. Sorry, guys, but I draw the line at POP3. IMAP, sure, but POP3? Nope. Too much messing about for my liking, and I've never been obsessive about keeping full control over my e-mail.....to date, my email providers have never yet let me down. YMMV, of course.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

The free version Proton has very limited storage and natively unless you manually download email one by one (super time consuming), there is no way to back up older emails to make room for new ones. So do you just nuke your old email or do you have paid account? Also its fine with normal speed connection, but get a slow connection and that web access portal truly sucks as do many web based email portals, they load them up with every resource hungry gimmick known to man and they can be SLOW loading, I have had Proton web portal TIME OUT REPEATEDLY when things are slow. Sure, wish it had real POP3, that has always been friendly to slow connections. But even IMAP is only offered on the paid accounts. They dont offer POP3 access.

This Electron Mail is the end run, supposedly can backup email on the free accounts. Well it would if it worked. No idea if I have settings wrong or what. Normal setting, just get black screen, toggle and get green bar with "data loading" forever. Not one email or email interface do I see.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, its supposed to show the Proton account page not blank black screen. But how to make it do that????

https://itsfoss.com/electronmail/

I suppose it could just be the appimage version is buggy. This is a one man band type app so documentation not great. Guess I can try the deb version or even the windows version.

tosim

Post by tosim »

I use protonmail via a web browser-FireFox

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

tosim wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:28 pm

I use protonmail via a web browser-FireFox

The free version? What do you do when you reach your storage limit? Yea like most free email, you can use the web portal via a browser to access your account, but there is no way to backup anything other than inconvenient manually download individual email by individual emal, or just BUY more storage. Neither options I want.

I am surprised nobody else has run into this??? Do you just nuke your old email? Get new free account? Buy an account with more storage? I realize the whole idea of a free account is to get people using it then upgrade to a paid account. But surely somebody else has wanted to backup the email in the free account and then delete whats stored online to make room for new email????

Ok I installed the deb version on my MX19 install. It said all dependencies met. Same black screen. I am thinking it is not liking that I use EasyTether or Azilink usb cell phone tethering for my internet access. There are some programs that only recognize wifi or ethernet connection. They test for wifi or ethernet, they dont try unless their test is successful. Annoying. I ran into this with Play on Linux sometime back. My answer stop stupid testing and just try and fail if no connection... jeesh.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mouldy :-

Mostly I nuke any e-mail older than a fortnight old. And the only items I keep - like banking stuff - I keep plain-text copies locally on an external drive.

I have very little e-mail worth keeping. Unless it's vitally important to me personally, I bin it. Why bother keeping crap around? This is why I never understand advocates of POP3. Mostly they're die-hards who got so used to working with it, when IMAP came along they were stuck in a rut, and got left behind in a time warp.....

Question:- I'm curious. Why do you use a smartphone tether for internet access on a home system? Won't your ISP provide a router? Can't you afford one? Or do you live out in the middle of nowhere?

(Number 3 I can understand, actually. A mate of mine lives out in the middle of the Norfolk Fens, miles from any other habitation. His local phone providers wanted over GBP £9,500 to run a landline out to him. He said "Stuff that", and since the early to mid-90s has done everything via the mobile network (we don't call them cell-phones over here. To us, they're just 'mobiles'). For internet, he uses a wi-fi 'hotspot'.....which works remarkably well.)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I finally downloaded and installed the windows version in win10LITE. I am tethered in windows via Azilink. Guess what, it works. Of course it does.... LOL mostly just to frustrate me no doubt. It shows the Proton webpage and I toggled it to the offline version. Its now slowly, ever so slowly downloading all my email. I assume its doing this email by email rather than some database since far as I know thats only way it can be done with free Proton account. They warned it can take a very long time. So yea it will be slow, but at least its automated. i wasnt going to manually do this. I think it can then export it as a database which the text can then be searched. You can only search headers on free account online, not the body text.

I suppose I will post on Github and ask why windows version is working for me and the linux versions arent. Now its a 64bit windows program, wonder if it would run in WINE.... Dont know that I have ever run 64bit program in WINE, I mostly use it for Kindle for PC and for some older useful windows 32bit programs.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:22 pm

@mouldy :-

Mostly I nuke any e-mail older than a fortnight old. And the only items I keep - like banking stuff - I keep plain-text copies locally on an external drive.

I have very little e-mail worth keeping. Unless it's vitally important to me personally, I bin it. Why bother keeping crap around? This is why I never understand advocates of POP3. Mostly they're die-hards who got so used to working with it, when IMAP came along they were stuck in a rut, and got left behind in a time warp.....

Question:- I'm curious. Why do you use a smartphone tether for internet access on a home system? Won't your ISP provide a router? Can't you afford one? Or do you live out in the middle of nowhere?

(Number 3 I can understand, actually. A mate of mine lives out in the middle of the Norfolk Fens, miles from any other habitation. His local phone providers wanted over GBP £9,500 to run a landline out to him. He said "Stuff that", and since the early to mid-90s has done everything via the mobile network (we don't call them cell-phones over here. To us, they're just 'mobiles'). For internet, he uses a wi-fi 'hotspot'.....which works remarkably well.)

I am one of those old fogeys set in their ways with pop3. Yea it saves lot garbage, but I dont have to sort through it. As long as I can search body of the saved emails and not just headers its not difficult. Actually I use ProtonMail mostly for ongoing conversations with couple good friends, very little spam/garbage emails. I have gmx.net account for commercial dealings. They do pop3.

I live in very rural area, there is no cable or DSL or free wifi. Its choice of satellite, cell, or dialup. Cell makes most sense for me. I use a prepaid MVNO reseller (prepaid 360 days ahead). Works out to 20GB data for equivalent of $26 a month. Included unlimited voice and text though I rarely use those. Old fashion landline alone was $25 a month and everything was long distance extra charge per minute back then. Last I had dialup, it was another $15 a month on top of that. And so slow only pop3 email was actually usable. I had one of those cell hotspot gadgets but it was crazy expensive data, like $40 for 4GB. My MVNO doesnt care if I tether, they just wont provide technical assistance. If I can figure it out, they are cool with it. They say so right up front. Some cell companies charge extra for tethering, some ban it altogether, just depends on provider.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

yes, ElectronMail has downloaded all my emails and organized them by date, not that annoying nesting stuff that the website insists on doing. The nesting is nice for somethings but makes searching for particular email by date, a royal PITA. Be nice for option to do both. So glad I found a working version. Now to get it working in linux, even if that means using WINE.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, in windows version, my email address is at top in little yellow box with unlocked padlock and it logs into proton website. In the linux versions the padlock is locked and black screen. Not sure what different causing this. But that looks like the problem.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

https://github.com/vladimiry/ElectronMail/issues/237

Does look like its a problem because of my using EasyTether/Azilink. The blank black screen is par for course until it detects an internet connection. Though gotta say I think he is wrong about it being Chromium issue, never had a problem with any independent Chromium browser with tethered connection. I do hate these built in tests trying to predetermine if there is an internet connection. Just try and if it fails, then yea, no connection. Duh.

And would guess this is not a problem in the windows version whether Chromium or ElectronMail issue. Hmm, guess I could use two computers, tether on one computer and create_ap a shared adhoc connection, connect to that on the second computer. It should see it as wifi connection. Not long term solution but should be effective test. One of these days need to get a OpenWrt router since they can tether to phone via EasyTether.

EDIT: Found a free android app that claimed it could create hotspot without rooting phone. It couldnt but it did create enough of one that ElectronMail was fooled to where it offered me Proton login screen rather than blank black screen. Of course I couldnt log in without an actual connection. But showed me the linux version ElectronMail does work, just not tethered to phone by usb.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Fake it until you make it.... Ok it wants an active wifi network, so be it....

create_ap -n wlan0 fakewifi

create_ap script saves me again. ElectronMail is happy since it sees an active wifi network and just assumes thats the internet connection though its only a local adhoc network. How stupid does it get....

Return to “Browsers and Internet”