How to update software/Vivaldi in Puppy Linux?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

EfficientPup

How to update software/Vivaldi in Puppy Linux?

Post by EfficientPup »

I was shocked that a web search yielded no results and I was equally surprised to not find a way with the PPM or other tools within BionicPup 8. After getting Vivaldi to finally install now I can't update it :lol: . I did see a little prompt a day ago but I wasn't ready yet now I must and neither Vivaldi's instructions nor Puppy gives me anything to do so. Vivaldi states the browser is updated with the rest of the OS but since I'm new to linux I forget the cmd. But in general how do I find installed apps in MY puppy save to manage/delete/update?

Last edited by EfficientPup on Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Re: How to update software in puppy linux

Post by bigpup »

In general Puppy does not do any automatic updates.
Anything that you want to update, you have to individually manually do it.

Any Puppy version that has the quickpet program, has a update feature in it.
This was provided by the developer of the Puppy version.
It is a way to add bug fixes and possibly improved versions of programs.
But these Quickpet->Info->Updates are provided by the developer of the Puppy version.
It is stuff they felt needed to be added, after initial release of the Puppy version.
You have to choose to run this Quickpet->Info->Updates.

Web browsers seem to constantly, need to update.
A lot of the web browsers, have built in update features.
That you can control, by the preference settings, in the browser.
This gets a little specific, on which specific browser, it is.

Some of the other Puppy versions may have some type of update program.
But none of them do anything automatically.
You have to choose to run the program.
This is something provided by the Puppy version developer.
How it works and what it does is up to them.

Puppy in general updates by choosing to use a newer version of Puppy.
The newer Puppy version will have the latest versions of programs, core files and processes, that are developed at the time the Puppy version is built.
Puppy does follow the idea:
If it is not broken, do not try to fix it with a newer version.

Last edited by bigpup on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

how do I find installed apps in MY puppy save to manage/delete/update

Anything you install by Puppy Package Manager(PPM) or a downloaded deb package.
PPM uninstall will list it.
Use that PPM uninstall to uninstall anything listed.

Stuff that comes already installed in Puppy, is best to just use what it has, and be happy.
Good chance a newer version is also going to need newer or different support(dependency) stuff.
Just be happy, what is there works, and use it.

Get out of the idea, that you always need to update, :roll: :thumbdown: constantly!

This info will help you:
viewtopic.php?p=14307#p14307

Last edited by bigpup on Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Global Moderator

EfficientPup

Post by EfficientPup »

I strongly agree with the mantra that if it isn't broken then don't fix it (I rarely update and also why the Puppy philosophy matches mine), however with my current version of Vivaldi installed I chose a bad time and got a "dud" that is crashing pages too much. The absence of an update option isn't inline with what Vivaldi's documentation states so I thought to ask here first. I looked around the folder for a update launcher and didn't find any there either. Sigh.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Vivaldi states the browser is updated with the rest of the OS

That statement is about main stream Linux OS's.
does not apply to Puppy.

Here is the download for the latest version of Vivaldi
https://vivaldi.com/download/
Usually you can download the latest version Linux deb package.
Left click on it to install.
It will install over what is old Vivaldi.
Make sure to get the correct bit version for the Bionicpup you have.
Linux deb 32 or Linux deb 64.

Usually this works for Firefox.
Kind of guessing it will work for Vivaldi.

Change the first post title to: how to update Vivaldi.
Someone that uses it, will see topic, maybe offer better help, or correct what I am telling you.

Forum Global Moderator

peebee

Re: How to update software/Vivaldi in puppy linux

Post by peebee »

Which BionicPup8? 32-bit or 64-bit?

What kind of install? The recommended "frugal install" or the not recommended "full install"?

How did you install Vivaldi? Which version? Where from?

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

EfficientPup wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:01 am

The absence of an update option isn't inline with what Vivaldi's documentation states so I thought to ask here first. I looked around the folder for a update launcher and didn't find any there either. Sigh.

Generally there are two types of installed apps, builtin and user-installed.

Vivaldi is going to be user-installed.

You can find user-installed in the Puppy Package Manager by clicking on the button:

uninstall.png
uninstall.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

Click on the icon to the left with the wrench and screwdriver to update Puppy's database. That is how available browser versions are updated.

Vivaldi isn't in this system's database, but it may be in others. You can still successfully run 32 & 64bit versions of Vivaldi in Puppy if you don't see it, but the latest version may be tricky if it's not in the database for requiring dependencies.

I would guess Bionic is a go, so I would just uninstall your current version and download the latest from Vivaldi.

Aesthetically you've got the champ.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

EfficientPup

Post by EfficientPup »

I installed the latest version of Vivaldi very easily as I originally expected now that the savefile has space, something strange though is when I opened the slightly older portable version and then the new one they both are separate with their version numbers but my settings and history from the portable were wiped out somehow despite totally different directories and folders. The Vivaldi installer found it and did work on it.

jaje

Post by jaje »

Are there no Vivaldi sfs packages anymore? I have been using those, but haven't updated in a while. Now when I try to use Vivaldi's Sync feature, it says I need to update to 5.1 (I'm currently on 3.5). I'm using FossaPup64 frugal install.

gychang

Post by gychang »

jaje wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:27 pm

Are there no Vivaldi sfs packages anymore? I have been using those, but haven't updated in a while. Now when I try to use Vivaldi's Sync feature, it says I need to update to 5.1 (I'm currently on 3.5). I'm using FossaPup64 frugal install.

I am using the vivaldi_x64_5.0.sfs on my Fossapup64 as I am typing now, I have been using this for several months, works well.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

xenial

Post by xenial »

i have vivaldi installed on my fossapup64 and it works very well indeed.I updated this morning.
First i downloaded the latest debian from the vivaldi website.Then i uninstalled vivaldi via the PPM and then i double click the downloaded debian file and it updates just fine.

ArrayBolt3

Re: How to update software/Vivaldi in Puppy Linux?

Post by ArrayBolt3 »

I'm somewhat disturbed that Puppy Linux would not keep itself constantly updated, considering the fact that it contains software that accesses the Internet like a Web browser. Is there some method for dealing with security vulnerabilities that I don't know about?

(btw, I think Puppy Linux is very cool and I'm playing with it in a VM right now :thumbup:)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ArrayBolt3 :- Hallo, and :welcome: to the kennels.

You'll find Puppy is kinda unique amongst Linux distros, and does a LOT of things differently. Would it ease your mind when I tell you that, to the best of my knowledge, not ONE Puppy user, EVER, has suffered from malware of any kind?

If set up appropriately, at shut-down Puppy will give you the choice to save any changes you may have made during that session, OR to simply let that session disappear into cyberspace. This is all due to Pup's secret weapon, the save-file or save-folder.....which itself is only possible due to the union filesystem method of operation which Puppy employs.

There are a few other lightweight distros about that use a union filesystem, but NONE which utilises such in quite the way that Puppy does. Let me put it another way; if Puppy was as "vulnerable" as you suspect it might be, then no way would it still be using the same basic setup that it started with, some 18 years ago.

Mainstream distros automatically save changes as they occur. This is why it's such a hassle to 'repair' a major distro when you bork it. A full re-install is often the only real solution. Puppy is easy to repair, without losing all your personal customizations, etc. And of course, anybody with a lick of sense will keep personal data on an external partition or drive, which will in no way be affected if the OS itself goes tits-up.

Stick around. We're always happy to help, if we can....and there's very little a mainstream distro can do that Puppy can't.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

ArrayBolt3 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:44 am

I'm somewhat disturbed that Puppy Linux would not keep itself constantly updated, considering the fact that it contains software that accesses the Internet like a Web browser.

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.x (https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=6105) has weekly builds that bundle all Debian 11 stability and security fixes plus in-house fixes, and you can apt upgrade if you want.

Personally, I wouldn't go online unless my OS still receives security updates and it's fully updated. In addition to the security issue caused by the Puppy concept of "one off" releases without updates, every Puppy release is stuck with its set of issues and bugs don't get fixed in a later, (non-existing) bugfix release.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

To each his/her own.
The web is the Mother of all malware.
If you operate your System like every major distro, your System will be vulnerable to the malware being created to infiltrate every major distro. If you run a web-browser in the way it was designed to run on every major distro, your system will be vulnerable to the malware being created to use that web-browser as a vector for infiltrating those major distros. If you don't, it doesn't matter what web-browser you use.

A frugally installed Puppy is designed to 'Run in RAM'; and RAM is wiped on Shut-down/reboot. The tricks are (1) not to write malware to your Storage Media; (2) not to access sensitive information with vulnerable Web-browsers or (3) in the middle of a session after you've potentially permitted malware to occupy RAM.

How to run an almost invulnerable Puppy, https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?p=2235#p2235. But add the following to what was written on that thread:

Web-browsers can be run as portables. A portable never becomes part of your operating system; at most linked to it by a in system file which starts it but even that can be avoided. Portables can be run-as-spot: the folders into which anything is downloaded is isolated from your system and can have limited permissions so that anything in it can't access your system on its own. Updated versions are frequently published and, AFAIK, most --if not all-- portable web-browsers now receive notifications of the availability of newer versions and include the ability to update. You'll find them on the Addition Software Sub-Forum>Browsers and the Internet. If you're interested in privacy as well as security, read the threads about LibreWolf and Ungoogled-Chromium. Also search for the post about Hardening Firefox. And if you're still not satisfied, you'll find instructions on how to build your own from the versions published by their originators and how to run web-browsers in a chroot --an isolated operating system.

Ramachandra Iyer

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

I have installed google chrome on Vanilla Dpup 9.2.x and updated through apt update. No issues. Every new released got updated!!!.

Feek

Post by Feek »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:55 am

I have installed google chrome on Vanilla Dpup 9.2.x and updated through apt update. No issues. Every new released got updated!!!.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know google chrome was available directly via apt.
What I did was to download the .deb package for linux from the official website. After downloading, I installed it using the GDebi installer (by right-clicking on the .deb package).
When a newer version of chrome comes out, I download it and reinstall the same way.
This method also seems to work but next time I'll consider using apt.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

If I remember correctly, the Chrome .deb package adds an apt repo. Then, Chrome is updated next time you apt upgrade.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 can update software packages (only on builtin packages on main sfs and user installed packages). Just click Menu and look for CHECK PACKAGE UPDATES

Return to “Beginners Help”