Review on Raspup!!!

Moderator: Forum moderators

lizardidi

Review on Raspup!!!

Post by lizardidi »

Original article here:
https://9to5linux.com/hands-on-with-ras ... -tinkerers

Most things work, like Wi-Fi, all the utilities, spreadsheet and word processors, image and documents viewers and editors, email, chat, etc. I can even install new packages from the repositories.

However, I wasn’t able to browse the Internet with Midori. I also wasn’t able to install Firefox as it couldn’t be fetched by any of the included package managers, so I can’t tell you if YouTube or other online services work.

I also wasn’t able to play a locally stored Full HD (1920×1080) video (audio works after some tinkering, but video is so very slow no matter what I do). I even installed MPV and there the video is very slow and audio doesn’t work.

Conclusion
While Raspup is the ideal system for tinkerers, it may not be so friendly with newcomers that just want to flash a distro on a microSD card, insert it on their Raspberry Pi, and that’s it. There are so many dialogs and confirmations, and whatnot in Raspup that may be overwhelming for the average user.

i strongly disagree on this one. raspup like other puppies, is built to be super-user-friendly. a linux newbie with minimum command line knowledge will be able to use puppies in a very short period of learning time.

i hope there will there be a new update release for this project, and they will get to review raspup again.

however, it is true that (at least) on raspberry pi zero, the video player and midori are not working 'out-of-the box'.

Grey

Re: Review on Raspup!!!

Post by Grey »

There are so many dialogs and confirmations

"And note, I said primal, not primitive!" - professor Hartridge in the game Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.
If we completely go into icons and pictures - without dialogues and confirmations - we simply degrade, pick up a stone ax (or club) and put on a mammoth skin :) Ugh!

Prehistorik.png
Prehistorik.png (44.35 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

lizardidi

Post by lizardidi »

Grey wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:54 am

There are so many dialogs and confirmations

"And note, I said primal, not primitive!" - professor Hartridge in the game Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.
If we completely go into icons and pictures - without dialogues and confirmations - we simply degrade, pick up a stone ax (or club) and put on a mammoth skin :) Ugh!

Prehistorik.png

so true. lol
:lol:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Not sure what the problem was with this person.
I have no problem using Firefox, I got from the installer, in Raspup.
Using the Firefox.SFS package provided by the SFS package installer.

This person must be really slow in doing things.
I did all the settings and configures, in about 3 minutes.
Must be a slow, slow reader :shock: :lol:

I can not even startup Windows 10 and have it just boot to a completely working desktop.
It automatically goes into updates for the virus prevention program and downloading and installing Windows updates, with needed reboots, to install them.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Raspbian Buster”