FrugalPup v41, very flexible Puppy frugal installer, supporting i18n

Moderator: Forum moderators

gyrog

Re: Frugalpup Assembling Frugals with Boot loader on UEFI & Bios Computers

Post by gyrog »

@mikeslr,
Thanks. Yes, I was MIA at the time.

My idea in leaving your original post as pat of the first post is that otherwise some of the other early posts might be a little confusing.
This way the integrity of all comments in the topic are maintained.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hiya @gyrog / all :-

Just a quick query. Are these "no-arch" packages?

I'm only asking because upon stripping the .pet down, I see the 'bootlace.com' thing is an ELF32 file. (Been like it since I was a nipper; always loved tearing things to bits to see what's inside 'em!)

I usually perform 'quick'n'dirty' installs, myself, but I'm going to experiment with this thing since I now have a UEFI machine.....and obviously, feedback always helps improve the beast..!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:27 am

Just a quick query. Are these "no-arch" packages?

Yes.

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:27 am

I'm only asking because upon stripping the .pet down, I see the 'bootlace.com' thing is an ELF32 file.

'bootlace.com' is the only binary, while it's 32bit code it's statically linked, depends on nothing.
The ".com" suffix is supposed to indicate that it's a DOS type binary, even if Linux "file" reports it as ELF.

Quote from http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix ... 01s03.html
"bootlace.com can be used in DOS, Windows 95/98/Me and Linux"

It installs the "mbr" for grub4dos, so it's only used for non-uefi boots.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

In Fossapup64 9.5 Frugalpup Installer v20 is in it.
So, it has Frugalpup Installer all ready to use.

I tried to use the Frugalpup Installer v32 SFS.
Loaded it using SFS-Load-on-the-fly
It says it loaded.
Go to menu->Setup->Frugalpup to run it.
It still runs version 20.

Unloaded the SFS.
Installed the pet package of Frugalpup Installer v32.
Frugalpup v32 runs.

So, it seems if the Puppy version already has Frugalpup Installer.
A newer version SFS package loaded, will not make it run the newer version.
It only runs the installed version.
Installing as a pet package, will update to newer version.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Frugalpup Installer is now in the official Puppy repository.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-noarch/

Very good to see, so anyone wanting to get it for a Puppy build can find it.

not sure who put it there.

Forum Global Moderator

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

bigpup wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:07 am

In Fossapup64 9.5 Frugalpup Installer v20 is in it.
So, it has Frugalpup Installer all ready to use.

I tried to use the Frugalpup Installer v32 SFS.
Loaded it using SFS-Load-on-the-fly
It says it loaded.
It still runs version 20.

Unloaded the SFS.
Installed the pet package of Frugalpup Installer v32.
Frugalpup v32 runs.

So, it seems if the Puppy version already has Frugalpup Installer.
A newer version SFS package loaded, will not make it run the newer version.
It only runs the installed version.
Installing as a pet package, will update to newer version.

Yes, this is due to the normal working of the aufs stack.

If FrugalPup v20 is included in the 'puppy...sfs' then it can only be "covered" by FrugaPup v32 sfs, if FrugalPup v32 sfs is inserted into the aufs stack above 'puppy...sfs'. Current 'sfs_load' cannot do that, it can only append sfs files to the botom of the stack, so the FrugalPup in 'puppy...sfs' is the one that gets used. That's why I have a hacked version of 'sfs_load' that can also insert an sfs above the Puppy system sfs files, i.e. above 'puppy...sfs', and so use FrugalPup v32 sfs in Fossapup64 9.5.

If you install FrugalPup v32 as a ".pet", it gets written to the very top layer of the aufs stack, the RW layer, so it "covers" any FrugalPup in any sfs file. While FruglPup v32 is in the RW layer, it cannot be upgraded to a new version with an sfs file, even with my hacked 'sfs_load'.

This behaviour applies to all sfs files and all frugals using an aufs stack.

Later edit, note on Fossapup64:
Files written by "Fossapup updates" always end up in the RW layer. If a version of FrugalPup is included in "Fossapup updates", only a FrugalPup ".pet" can update it.
(Unless you use a different Puppy to remove the FrugalPup files from the Fossapup64 save-folder, i.e. '/usr/local/frugalpup/' and '/usr/local/mi-utils/'.)

gyrog

FrugalPup v33 is available.

Post by gyrog »

FrugalPup 33, DiskPup 33, StickPup 33 and f2StickPup 33 - Puppy frugal installer.

Download extra sfs 'frugalpup_33.sfs' (or 'frugalpup-33.pet') from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup (3 MiB).

This fixes a "bug" in the "FrugalPup->Puppy" facility when a ziprelease ".zip" file was used as the source.
It inappropriately copied any SAVEMARK, SAVESPEC, or AUTOSAVE files into the install directory.
These need to be generated by the current install process, as needed, not inherited from the source.

This version is also a little more aggressive about generating a SAVEMARK file.

Edit: I intend to delete a lot of the old FrugalPup's from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup in the near future.

tosim

Re: Frugalpup v33, Assembling Frugals with Boot loader on UEFI & Bios Computers

Post by tosim »

Thanks for the update.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

@tosim, you are welcome.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

There is a small cosmetic issue with v33,
if you run 'f2StickPup' with the colsole command:

Code: Select all

f2stickpup

You will see a warning message on the console about volume labels containing lower case characters possibly not working on DOS or Windows.
If you execute 'f2StickPup' via the desktop, i.e. the menu, you won't see this message.

Please ignore this messge. It does not make any difference to the functioning of 'f2StickPup'.

This also applies to 'StickPup'

Explanation:
With v33, both 'StickPup' and 'f2StickPup' add a generated volume label to all partitions created.
For fat32 partitions this is done via 'fatlabel' and I forgot to add " > /dev/null 2>&1" to the end of the line,
so the 'fatlabel' complaint is shown.

The generated volume label does indeed contain lower case characters,
but my primary fat32 boot partition has been labeled "Boot" (not "BOOT") for many years without any problems, including with Windows 10.

While I have fixed this in the source, I do not intend to release a v34 for just this cosmetic irregularity.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

Just in case there are any who are troubled by the existence of the cosmetic bug mentioned in the previous post;

I have uploaded 'frugalpup_33p.sfs' ('p' for patched). Internally this is identical to 'frugalpup_33.sfs' except that the 'stickpup' and 'f2stickpup' files have " > /dev/null 2>&1" appended to the 'fatlabel' line.

I have also uploaded 'frugalpup_patch-33.pet' that contains only the modified 'stickpup' and 'f2stickpup' files.

Download from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

I've uploaded 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage', 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage', and 'frugalpup-links.gz' to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup.

'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage' and 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage':

I've been having a look at appimage files, and how to make them, so I decided to have a go by making one for FrugalPup, using 'appimagetool-i686.AppImage'.
The 2 ".AppImage" files are the result, yes, one 32bit and one 64bit.
Even though FrugalPup is itself arch independent, a ".AppImage" file is supposed to be a self extracting archive, so apparently there is some binary code in there. If you do a 'file' of them it says it's binary.

So how do you use them?
If you download the appropriate one for your Puppy, just click on it and it should run "FrugalPup v33i".
But usually FrugalPup comes with StickPup, f2StickPup, and DiskPup, (and bootentry) as well. Well these are all in there.
To access these we use the 'frugalpup-links' script.

'frugalpup-links.gz':

Download to the same directory (important) as the ".AppImage" file, and gunzip it to produce a script called 'frugalpup-links'.
If you are using the 32bit ".AppImage" file, open a console in this same directory, and run:

./frugalpup-links FrugalPup-i386.AppImage 

This will setup symbolic links in '/usr/sbin' to the ".AppImage" file for each of the FrugalPup utility names.
Now you should be able to run 'bootentry' by entering the command in any console:

bootentry

And the menu entries for the FrugalPup family should now run the corresponding utility.

Note: The ".AppImage" file and 'frugalpup-links' must be in the same directory, but that directory can be anywhere.
After you've run 'frugalpup-links', you don't need it any more, unless you move the ".AppImage" file, even if at some later time you overwrite the ".AppImage" file with a newer version.

One interesting thing about a ".AppImage" file is that, unless you are actually executing the application, you can clobber it at any time.

Anyway, I invite you to play with them, and see if it's worth pursuing this as a means of releasing apps for Puppy.
I imagine that for serious releasing using ".AppImage" files, you would need a ".pet" as well to install the symbolic links/wrapper scripts and application ".desktop" files. And tar both these files, for a single download file.

Oh, the FrugalPup v33i, is just v33 + a couple of minor patches + a few minor internal adjustments to work in this environment.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

tried out FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage and can report it is running well on a Fossapup64-9.5

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

I didn't mention that this effectively replaces the application code, but it doesn't provide the /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files.
It depends on you having a FrugalPup already installed, if not, there will be no entries in the desktop menu, you would have to run the scripts by entering their names in a console, e.g. "frugalpup", or "f2stickpup".
Thats why I suggested that a ".pet" might be required as well as a ".appimage".

One other thing, the ".appimage file + frugalpup-links" thingo should work no matter how FrugalPup is installed, i.e. if it's already in your Puppy, you installed it as a ".sfs" or you installed as a ".pet".

rockedge wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:47 pm

tried out FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage and can report it is running well on a Fossapup64-9.5

Thanks for testing.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

I've uploaded 'frugalpup-old-links.gz' to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup, gunzip to produce 'frugalpup-old-links'.
This is a script to replace the FrugalPup symbolic links in '/usr/sbin' so your old installed FrugalPup is once again visible.
Just in case you want to delete 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage'.

Of course if an old versiion of FrugalPup exists in your Puppy, and you have updated to v33 with a ".sfs" file, you can stop loading 'frugalpup_33.sfs' and just use the ".Appimage".

Observant folk who visit my "frugalpup" directory on "mediafire" might notice a new file called 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.zsync'.
That's me playing with "zsync" updating. The "appimage" folk seem to be keen on it as an efficient way of updating an "appimage".
If I can get it to work, I'll post here.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

gyrog wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:32 pm

Observant folk who visit my "frugalpup" directory on "mediafire" might notice a new file called 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.zsync'.
That's me playing with "zsync" updating. The "appimage" folk seem to be keen on it as an efficient way of updating an "appimage".
If I can get it to work, I'll post here.

Well it seems to work, see viewtopic.php?p=28031#p28031 for more detail on how to use it.

I've uploaded new versions of 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage', 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.zsync', 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage', and 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage.zsync' to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup.

The "FrugalPup" inside is identical, I'm just playing with the a few options in the "appimage" packaging.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

I've uploaded new versions of 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage', 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.zsync', 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage', and 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage.zsync' to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup.

The "FrugalPup" inside is a testing version on my way to FrugalPup v34.
There are some internal changes that should not be seen, except for 'DiskPup's handling of the "other OS already in '/EFI/'" situation.
I'm upgrading it be the same as in FrugalPup itself, but the dialog still needs a bit of tinkering.

I find the 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage' very useful for testing, since I can just clobber it at any time with a new version.
(Don't have to worry if the ".sfs" is directly mounted in the stack, or not.)

Since the ".appimage" files are so "huge" :roll: , if you already have a ".appimage" file, you can save youself "heaps" of bandwidth by downloading the ".zsync" file instead, and then using the attached 'zsync-update' script to update it, for some hints on usage, simply run:

zsync-update
zsync-update.gz
gunzip to produce the 'zsync-update' script
(535 Bytes) Downloaded 84 times
gyrog

Post by gyrog »

I've uploaded new versions of 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage', 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.zsync', 'FrualPup-x86_64.AppImage', and 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage.zsync' to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup.

The "FrugalPup" inside is a testing version on my way to FrugalPup v34, same as previous post.

The main change is to the way you use them.
Each appimage now has internal "--activate" and "--deactivate" facilities. To integrate it into Puppy run:

./FrugalPup-i386.AppImage --activate

Then running FrugalPup etc... should use the new one, v33k.
To return Puppy to the way it was before, run:

./FrugalPup-i386.AppImage --deactivate

This removes all the files added to Puppy by the "--activate" facility.

"activate" copies .desktop files to /usr/share/applications and some icons to /usr/share/pixmaps,
it also creates some synbolic links in a suitable directory in the $PATH, to ensure that the appimage gets executed in preference to possible other executables.
It writes a list of all files created to a file called '$HOME/.packages/FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.files'.

"deactivate" removes all the files listed in '$HOME/.packages/FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.files' and then removes '$HOME/.packages/FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.files' itself.
(So it could actually be implemented as a utility outside the appimage.)

shinobar

Re: Frugalpup v33, some fix

Post by shinobar »

gyrog, tnx for the frugalpup.
frugalpup v33 creates wrong grub.cfg when the puppy has grub2 installed, in other word the puppy has /etc/grub.d.

A bugfix:
# diff -u frugalpup-dobootpart.org frugalpup-dobootpart
--- frugalpup-dobootpart.org 2021-05-14 14:06:01.000000000 +0900
+++ frugalpup-dobootpart 2021-06-25 13:03:20.430053300 +0900
@@ -152,7 +152,7 @@
if [ "$GRUB_DIR" ]; then
GRUB_LIST="$(find "$GRUB_DIR" -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type f | sort)"
for ONE_FN in $GRUB_LIST; do
- cat "$ONE_FN" >> "$DEST_MP/grub.cfg"
+ [ -x "$ONE_FN" ] && "$ONE_FN" >> "$DEST_MP/grub.cfg"
#handle possible missing \n at EOF
LAST_CHAR="$(tail -c 1 "$ONE_FN")"
case $LAST_CHAR in

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

shinobar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:12 am

So, what does an installed grub2 put in '/etc/grub.d/'?
I understood it to be text that got included in the "grub.cfg", it would seem that I am mistaken.
Your code suggests that it's populated with executables.
Does anyone have an example '/etc/grub.d/40_custom' generated by an installed grub2?

shinobar

Re: 40_cusyom

Post by shinobar »

The 40_custom is a simple script.

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

Any text the user add to this script, it is included in the grub.cfg.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

shinobar wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:12 am

Unfortunately this change would not "fix" FrugalPup it would break it's connection with OtherInstalls,
which is the main point of adding this code to FrugalPup.

There are a couple of obvious solutions.
1. Don't install grub2 on a Puppy where you are using FrugalPup.
2. FrugalPup and OtherInsttalls will go elsewhere, e.g. '/var/local/grub.d'.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

I've uploaded new versions of 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage', 'FrugalPup-i386.AppImage.zsync', 'FrualPup-x86_64.AppImage', and 'FrugalPup-x86_64.AppImage.zsync' to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup.

The "FrugalPup" inside is the new FrugalPup v34, it now reads '/var/local/otherinstalls.d' so installing grub2 can't muck it up.

The ".sfs" and ".pet" files will be along in the near future.

gyrog

Re: Frugalpup v34, Assembling Frugals with Boot loader on UEFI & Bios Computers

Post by gyrog »

I have uploaded 'frugalpup_34.sfs' and 'frugalpup-34.pet', to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rdyc5l ... /frugalpup.

This version changes the location for boot-entries generated by 'OtherInstalls'.
And it generates grub2 boot entries that support the early loading of a microcode initrd file, if it exists in the install directory.

tosim

Post by tosim »

Thank you again.

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

tosim wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:35 pm

Thank you again.

You are welcome.

hundido

Post by hundido »

Thank you, @gyrog

I'm newer to Puppy, about to use v34 to hopefully successfully install more than one Puppy to the same USB for the first time.

So far
opened new Samsung USB
using Gparted
Created msdos partition table
sdc1 fat32 300 Mib flagged boot
sdc2 ext3 29.58 Gib

I don't really understand the settings.
I'm unchecking Use AUTOSAVE because I do things I wish I could reverse enough, I'd rather the default be not saving(at least for me).

I want to install the 32bit and 64 bit Bionics on this USB, hoping I can get redshift to work on an Ubuntu puppy on my computer (currently portable redshift works in Slacko64-8.2.1, I've tried so many things in Fossapup64 and cannot get it to work: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3227)

Clicking the Puppy button
Selecting source type iso
Selecting bionicpup32-8.0_28-uefi.iso
Selecting sdc2
Clicking Create Folder
Typed "Puppies", hit enter
Clicking Create Folder
typing bionicpup32
Clicked enter
Clicked OK, and again to write frugal installs to sdc2 /Puppies/bionicpup32
Puppy source /root/Downloads/bionicpup32-8.0+28-uefi.iso
Puppy Linux written to sdc2:/Puppies/bionicpup32, OK

Clicking Puppy button again, selecting iso, OK
Selecting bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso, OK
clicking OK to use default sdc2
Clicked create folder, "bionicpup64", ENTER
About to write puppy frugal install files to sdc2, directory: /Puppies/bionicpup64, puppy source /root/Downloads/bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.iso, OK
Puppy Linux written to sdc2:/Puppies/bionicpup64

Clicking Boot button
sdc2 is default partition containing puppy. Clicking OK
Selecting the parent directory Puppies
...script updates the selected boot partition...in,/mnt/sdc2/Puppies
Select a fat32 partition
sdc1, OK
both
about to write boot files to sdc1 directory: /
Install Grub2 elements: uefi and mbr
Source for Puppy files:
Partition: sdc2
Directory: /Puppies, OK

That's all done. Shutting down. Going to try to reboot into bionic.
GNU GRUB version 2.03 has
Puppy bionicpup32 8.0
Puppy bionicpup64 8.0
System BIOS setup
Shutdown computer
Reboot Computer

First selecting 32...it's booting! Very pretty.
Rebooting into 64 but I think that will work too, so I'll post my experience. Thanks again, gyrog.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@gyrog How about integrating Frugalpup into woof-CE's rootfs-packages, or at least, maintaining it in a git repo so woof-CE can add it to Puppies using a petbuild?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

gyrog,

I suggest you put some information in the help, about how the different drives need to be partitioned and formatted.

I can offer some ideas on what is needed.

Really, the best would be if Frugalpup checked the partitions and format of a drive type, and gave info on what it needed, if not correct.

Not having a drive correctly partitioned and formatted, seems to be the one big issue making Frugalpup Installer not easy to use for a new user.

Forum Global Moderator

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

The request that @bigpup is referring is EXACTLY the same need that @shinobar GRUB2 servicer has.

I have a couple suggestions as well, but, if pride does not get in the way, I "think" I see a solution to both developer utility offerings; namely this FrugalPUP(gyrog) and GRUB2Config(shinobar).

The dilemma is also exacerbated with the likes of

• BIOSes without fixes/updates to the firmware,

• UEFI that has differing strategies by manufacturers; not to mention users have not done firmware updates to their UEFI PCs,

• FAT16/FAT32/ExFAT/NTFS/F2FS/EXT#/etc as disk's 1st partition at system start,

• MSDOS vs GPT,

• Partition flags

• PUP SFSs.

If anyone thinks I can offer a pathway that addresses what each is attempting to achieve for booting PUPs and DOGs, please PM me. My solution are simple and may surprise.

Return to “Install”