QuickPup64 24.01 RC4

Moderator: Forum moderators

Anacleto

Re: QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 4

Post by Anacleto »

Hello I have done another theme, with improving the letters of the buttons and some others.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ru2iilil ... ar.gz/file

Being less bright and less painful for the eyes.

Greetings.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @mistfire I have tested Beta4 version's ISO file.

I am now using 4 USB sticks for booting PUP-DOG ISO files directly.

• I have 2 BIOS USB sticks where 1 is a SG2D USB and another is a Ventoy USB (MSDOS formats)

• I also have 2 UEFI USB sticks where 1 is a SG2D USB and the other is Ventoy (GPT formats)

• Lastly, I use 2 different QEMU stanzas ... 1 BIOS (standard via qemu_gui) and the other for UEFI virtual machines.

In the case of the USB sticks, all of the ISO files are in the /BOOTISOS folder on the root of each USB.

The latest v22.01b4, namely quickpup64_22.01-beta-4.iso, has been downloaded and it is booted on each of the 6 methods, above, without ANY issues. All standard PUP subsystems are operational and shutdown processing works as expected.

The PCs I have do not have Wifi, but all wired ethernet expectations operate without any issues; thus SAMBA, Browsers, and PPM subsystems work without issues.

Very smooth & fluid performance.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mistfire
I made a manual frugal install of QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 4 onto an hdd formatted as ext3. This is booted using Grub4dos. I'm not familiar with Quickpup but installed it as it uses pulse audio (which I'm also not familiar with) and I wanted to use the Software Defined Radio (SDR) programs provided by @Anacleto. These require pulse audio. I have installed GQRX and CubicSDR both of which work with audio. However, I tried to run a youtube video from SeaMonkey. This ran but without audio. I tried Menu>All Applications>PulseAudio Preferences. I tried Network Access. The boxes on this are greyed out. I then tried Network Server and ticked the boxes in this that were not greyed out. I rebooted and tried to run a video from youtube but again there was no audio. Can someone please tell me how to set up the audio so as it works with SeaMonkey. I don't think this is a hardware issue as the sound works using the SDR programs.

Regards,

Ken.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi keniv.

Is it strange, you have configured the volume level as I show you in the image or also configured in:

"Setup> Alsa Sound Wizard"
to see is all correct?

Regards,

image.jpg
image.jpg (11.83 KiB) Viewed 40980 times
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

keniv wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:34 pm

@mistfire
I made a manual frugal install of QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 4 onto an hdd formatted as ext3. This is booted using Grub4dos. I'm not familiar with Quickpup but installed it as it uses pulse audio (which I'm also not familiar with) and I wanted to use the Software Defined Radio (SDR) programs provided by @Anacleto. These require pulse audio. I have installed GQRX and CubicSDR both of which work with audio. However, I tried to run a youtube video from SeaMonkey. This ran but without audio. I tried Menu>All Applications>PulseAudio Preferences. I tried Network Access. The boxes on this are greyed out. I then tried Network Server and ticked the boxes in this that were not greyed out. I rebooted and tried to run a video from youtube but again there was no audio. Can someone please tell me how to set up the audio so as it works with SeaMonkey. I don't think this is a hardware issue as the sound works using the SDR programs.

Regards,

Ken.

You mentioned you tried Pulse Audio Preferences, but didn't say you checked Pulse Audio Volume Contol pavucontrol, it's just below the PA Preferences in the Menu. This lists all Playback sources to allow control. It should show Seamonkey as a playback source, if any sound is meant to be playing.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Anacleto and @TerryH
Both Setup> Alsa Sound Wizard and Menu>Pulse Audio Volume Contol lead to the same box.

It should show Seamonkey as a playback source, if any sound is meant to be playing.

I could not find any reference to Seamonkey in the pop up "Volume Control" box. I tried looking in each of the drop down boxes from "Playback" to "Configuration". I also right clicked on the sound/speaker icon in the right hand side of the tray. This brought up the "PulseAudio Panel Plugin". I clicked on "Properties" but again I saw nothing relating to Seamonkey. I then wondered if Seamonkey had to be running for it to appear. I started Seamonkey and used a youtube url that I knew to have sound and to my surprise the sound worked this time. I can only think that either the video I used yesterday had no sound or that it was because I am unfamiliar with Quickpup and for that matter Seamonkey. I had a look in the history for yesterday but could not find it. If it had no sound then I've wasted your time and I apologise for that.

Regards,

Ken

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Can you play other video audio files like mp4, mp3 of hard drive with sound?
Inside the YouTube window there is a speaker that makes the mute, you may have it active?

See you.

Treya

Re: QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 2

Post by Treya »

mistfire wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:19 pm
Treya wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:24 pm
mistfire wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:47 am

install intel firmware driver then reboot. Or use FossaPup64 fdrv module by renaming it as fdrv_quickpup64_22.01.sfs and replace the existing one then boot the QuickPup

Hmm, sounds like it might fix the issue but I hope later on it'll support wireless easily out of the box.

Question is, how do I transfer the downloaded drivers considering quickpup is already put on a separate USB?

I presume I need to merge the ISOs but I've never done that before...

Choose the 2nd option. Get the fdrv file of FossaPup64 or download the firmware driver pack that I provided (download link is on the first post of this thread) and rename it as fdrv_quickpup64_22.01.sfs and replace the stock one on your bootable usb.

If you want to merge it on ISO file, Open QuickPup64 iso file with ISOmaster (already built-in). Delete the stock fdrv file and add the renamed fdrv file. Then click SAVE AS to create new bootable iso image

Sorry for the late reply...just returned to Puppy recently.

I stuck in my USB with the installation, but ISO Master brings up "Failed to open directory '/sdb1/', error 2" for some reason. What does that mean? I know the directory name is the USB itself though.

EDIT: Wait, never mind. Turns out the USB slot is faulty.

Last edited by Treya on Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anacleto

Abiword pet for Quickpub

Post by Anacleto »

I have made this Abiword PET for Quicpub64 in case someone is interesting.

https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5170

Regards

mistfire

QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 5

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 5 released

Changes:
* Linux kernel 5.16.5-lxpup64 (thanks @peebee)
* Added VAAPI and VDPAU
* Updated packages
* Some bugfixes.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H9C6Lh ... b0PnLCQpe/
MD5 Checksum: e9f2854edb91427f9ee05389f464163a

Geek3579

Re: QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 5

Post by Geek3579 »

I tried to run Quickpup Beta 4 about 3 weeks ago, and I like it a LOT.

BUT, the wireless connectivity (eg via frisbee) does not work in that the OS does not see the WiFi, even after trying the suggested fix. All other puppies that I have tried work OOTB in this respect.

Before I try Beta 5 is this issue included in the recent fixes ??

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Geek3579 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:11 am

I tried to run Quickpup Beta 4 about 3 weeks ago, and I like it a LOT.

BUT, the wireless connectivity (eg via frisbee) does not work in that the OS does not see the WiFi, even after trying the suggested fix. All other puppies that I have tried work OOTB in this respect.

Before I try Beta 5 is this issue included in the recent fixes ??

Did you tried to load FDRV file of other puppies you've been tested and reboot?

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

No I haven't even thought of that. Thanks.

OK, I presume fdrv is firmware. Fossapup has an fdrv....also LXPupSC64
Any suggestions as to which puppy os fdrv would be the best candidate ??

Wait a minute, I just checked and my frugal install of Beta 4 has an fdrv listed. Will that be loaded at boot I wonder??

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi mistfire.

All things work well as in the previous ones. With regard to Internet connection, the behavior is different depending on the computer is tested. For example on this computer that I am using.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: HP Compaq Elite 8300 USDT
Type: Central Processor Family: Core i5 Manufacturer: Intel Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470S CPU @ 2.90GHz

No wifi-card.

ethernet card: eth0: (PCI Express:2.5GT/s:Width x1)
eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

When I install puppy and press the desktop icon connection to the internet the window that appears is this:

img1.jpg
img1.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 40929 times

And I can not connect to the Internet by any way through the Ethernet network.

But if I replace all files int /usr/ local/network-wizard and the net-setup.sh file in /usr/local/bin as I say in the post:
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewt ... 641#p46641

Then in the Internet Connection Wizard window, all the buttons appear and then if I can connect to the Internet.

In the other laptop I have, that later I will give you the specifications.With wificard Intel appeared the Internet window Connection Wizard with all the buttons. But in the end it just let me connect only by Frisbe.

In the other Beta of Quicpup64 the buttons did not appear in this laptop.

Regards.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

The other laptop computer is :

Manufacturer: HP
Product Name: HP 255 G6 Notebook PC
Corel Version: AMD E2-9000e RADEON R2, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G

with wifi Detected Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 3168, REV=0x220

I like QuickPup64 because this being an old computer it could still work with a Kernell 5.16 correctly.

Other PUPPY distributions with a similar kernell I get only a black screen when I start the system or when I close it.

As I told you in the previous post with this computer I can see the 3 buttons in the Internet Connection Wizard window, but in the end I can only connect with Frisbe to the WIFI. If I replace the files as I said in the previous post, then everything works correctly.

Regards.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Hi All,
I've just installed the recent beta5 version however there are still a number of thing, that for me, don't work. They did not work in the beta4 version either. I've tried to outline them below.

1. This one was mentioned by @Anacleto on page 13 of this thread. Applications > Desktop > Appearance>Style only shows one theme i.e. Redmond-Delta-10. Yet in /usr/share/themes there seems to be 21 themes including Redmond-Delta-10. Should I expect the rest to work? Am I missing something in my attempts to install another theme? Anacleto provided another theme which he called "black_theme" which I downloaded and installed and it does work.

2. Applications > Desktop > Appearance>Icons. I think the default here on first boot was "papirus_lite. After using the desktop for a while I found they became corrupted showing what looks like some text (white on blue-half height) in the background. I changed to Puppy Standard and the above does not happen. Edit: I've just found that it happens with other choices as well. The "text" I described above seems to be a left over from that which appears when the mouse pointer is hovered over one of the icons.

3. Applications>Utility>Screenshot. I can get Screen and Window to work but not Selection. Again am I missing something here?

4. This I can no longer find in what for me is a very busy menu. I have,however, used it before. I allows you to change from a double click on a desktop icon to launch a program to a single click. When I tried this and set up for a single click nothing changed and I still required a double click.
I'd appreciate any help with this even if it's only to tell me that the things I've mentioned don't yet work.

Regards,

Ken.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi keniv.

@keniv

Until now I have not proven what has said of the icons.

An interesting thing is that when you want to experiment with a new Puppy distribution is to make the main settings, upload the programs for common use and other settings. And once all this is done is to make a copy of the main folder in my case, call it QuickPup64Save-Main and I copy it as follows by creating a new QuickPup64Save-Test folder.

It is convenient to copy this folder while opening the computer with another PUPPY distribution for example in this case FOSSA64, then enter the directory where the QUICKPUP64 ISO is saved in my es /Quickpup64_v22.01 and make the copy of the main file opening a terminal in this directory and typing the following according to my files:

Code: Select all

cp -a --backup Quickpup64-Main.save Quickpup64-Test.save

This will copy all files from the directory including symbolic links.

When you open again QuickPub64 you will see that a menu appears in which you can select in which Pupsave you want to enter.

If you select QuickPup64-Test.Save you can experience everything you want with it. if is damage it, you can erase it and create a new copy of QuickPup64-Main.save

With respect to the question of Screenshot:

Another way to quickly access the "Screenshot" window is pressing the "impr_pa" keyboard button or something similar has to be on your keyboard, on my keyboard is near the F12 key.

When you access the "ScreenShoot" window if you want to make a copy of a part of the desktop, press the "Selection" button and then press the "Take_Screenshot" button you will see that the pointer mouse changes to a cross, select the part of desktop pressing the left mouse button on the area you want to copy, when you stop pressing the mouse button will appear a window with the image you selected, then press the "SAVE" button and the image will be saved inside the File browser in the "Pictures" folder.

Regards.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Anacleto wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:54 am

Hi mistfire.

All things work well as in the previous ones. With regard to Internet connmisfireection, the behavior is different depending on the computer is tested. For example on this computer that I am using.

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Product Name: HP Compaq Elite 8300 USDT
Type: Central Processor Family: Core i5 Manufacturer: Intel Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470S CPU @ 2.90GHz

No wifi-card.

ethernet card: eth0: (PCI Express:2.5GT/s:Width x1)
eth0: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

When I install puppy and press the desktop icon connection to the internet the window that appears is this:

img1.jpg

And I can not connect to the Internet by any way through the Ethernet network.

But if I replace all files int /usr/ local/network-wizard and the net-setup.sh file in /usr/local/bin as I say in the post:
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewt ... 641#p46641

Then in the Internet Connection Wizard window, all the buttons appear and then if I can connect to the Internet.

In the other laptop I have, that later I will give you the specifications.With wificard Intel appeared the Internet window Connection Wizard with all the buttons. But in the end it just let me connect only by Frisbe.

In the other Beta of Quicpup64 the buttons did not appear in this laptop.

Regards.

It seems that the network adapter was detected. Did you try to boot without save file? QuickPup will automatically configure network if ethernet cable was plugged in.

mistfire

QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 6

Post by mistfire »

QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 6 released

Changes:
* Additional intel wireless firmware drivers
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rguuol ... p1H0mvcHUl
MD5 Checksum: 4af82dd8e57f38ce51b994716cc88366

keniv

Re: QuickPup64 22.01 BETA 6

Post by keniv »

Have downloaded and installed beta6. Have not done much but so far it seems to be working as well as beta5. Will do more when I have more time.

Regards,

Ken.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi
I have erased all Themes that were not useful in /usr/share/themes with this script that I did.

delete_themes.tar.gz
(287 Bytes) Downloaded 51 times

If someone wants to use it, it has to decompress and may give it permissions by:

chmod 777 delete_themes 

and then execute from the terminal with:

./delete_themes

Then I created a PET with several Themes that I found on the Internet.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wrm0lp1j ... 4.pet/file

I hope it is useful .

Regards.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Anacleto

An interesting thing is that when you want to experiment with a new Puppy distribution is to make the main settings, upload the programs for common use and other settings. And once all this is done is to make a copy of the main folder in my case, call it QuickPup64Save-Main and I copy it as follows by creating a new QuickPup64Save-Test folder.

Yes I saved a copy of my save file from beta4 to a usb stick. I have used it in both beta5 and now beta6 though I do remember reading somewhere that this is bad practice.

When you access the "ScreenShoot" window if you want to make a copy of a part of the desktop, press the "Selection" button and then press the "Take_Screenshot" button you will see that the pointer mouse changes to a cross, select the part of desktop pressing the left mouse button on the area you want to copy, when you stop pressing the mouse button will appear a window with the image you selected, then press the "SAVE" button and the image will be saved inside the File browser in the "Pictures" folder.

Yes I've used ScreenShot before but the bit you describe above (now in bold) did not work for me, however it does seem to be working now.

Hi
I have erased all Themes that were not useful in /usr/share/themes with this script that I did.*****************Then I created a PET with several Themes that I found on the Internet.

I will try this and report back on how I got on.

Thanks again,

Ken.
Edit: Just tried this in beta4 (I kept it in case I had problems with the latter betas) and it works. There is a good choice of themes. I'm on Raleigh. I can now read the labels in CubicSDR. Will now do the same in beta6.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Geek3579 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:35 am

No I haven't even thought of that. Thanks.

OK, I presume fdrv is firmware. Fossapup has an fdrv....also LXPupSC64
Any suggestions as to which puppy os fdrv would be the best candidate ??

Wait a minute, I just checked and my frugal install of Beta 4 has an fdrv listed. Will that be loaded at boot I wonder??

I wonder, what is the name and model of your wifi card? Try QuickPup64 beta 6 first. if doesn't work, get the fdrv file of FossaPup64 and replace the stock fdrv file. Don't forget to rename it as fdrv_quickpup64_22.01.sfs

keniv

Re: Is it easy to switch from XFCE to JWM?

Post by keniv »

mistfire wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:44 am
Anacleto wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 pm

I would like to ask if anyone has changed in this Quickpub64 from XFCE to JWM.
In the desktop computer works well, but in the laptop it goes a little slow since it is a laptop a little old.
Thanks ..
See you.

May I know the name and model of your computer? What are the system specs?

Just download JWM and ROX-Filer then install it. Go to Menu>Shutdown then choose CHANGE DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT.
Select JWM then click OK

I am using beta6. I would like to install JMW. I followed the instructions above using the ppm which I previously updated. If I attempt to install JWMDesk-3.3 I get an error advising me to update the ppm and try again. If I do this it fails again with the same message. ROX-Filer appears to be already installed. Can you suggest how to install JMW without getting this error.

Regards,

Ken.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi keniv.

@keniv

You can download JWMdesk-3.3 from here:

https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 274#p32274

And still not found where to get off Rox for Puppy .. I'm looking for. It's one thing I'm waiting to do but I still have not tried it. It is interesting that you plan this topic.

See you.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

I just created this PET file but I do not know if it works.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6476a18a ... 2.pet/file

I'm going to try as it works.

See you.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Anacleto
Tried both the pet you linked to and the one you posted but when I "Go to Menu>Shutdown then choose CHANGE DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT" the box shown below pops up. I don't know how to get any further than this so I've removed the pets.

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
notice.png
notice.png (8.6 KiB) Viewed 41171 times
Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi keniv.

@keniv

It is not as easy as downloading some PET files to install them and it is already. From the first moment I thought it was quite more complicated, that's why I expected a moment that I will have more time.

The window that appears to us from "Change Desktop Environment" is a script that at the end what it does is replace the text of "XFCE4-Session" by the text "jwm" in the file

/etc/WindowManager

The script fails and does not do its job.

But if we manually write the text "jwm" within the file:

/etc/WindowManager

Most likely, do not start the system due to screen configuration problems in Xorg.

This is what I am studying now.

Very probably the jwmdesk-3.3.pet file does not contain all the files that should contain.

I did another one but it does not work for me either.

We should keep in mind that although we get started the system we will still have to continue making enough more adjustments.

Regards.

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

If you change the word "jwm" inside the /etc/WindowManager file and you can not start the system, the only way to recover it is to open with another QuickPub64Name2-Save and enter the file where you modify QuickPub64Name1-Save and go to /etc/WindowManager and rewrite the word : xfce4-session

See you.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Anacleto wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:11 am

If you change the word "jwm" inside the /etc/WindowManager file and you can not start the system, the only way to recover it is to open with another QuickPub64Name2-Save and enter the file where you modify QuickPub64Name1-Save and go to /etc/WindowManager and rewrite the word : xfce4-session

See you.

Hi Anacleto,
From what you have said above I think I'll make a new "Test" save folder to try this. I have a copy of the save file with all of the SDR programs but it might be better to try it in a new clean save file. Also if it breaks anything it won't matter much and I can easily get back to where I was.

Regards,

Ken.

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”