Slacko5.7-2018

Moderator: Forum moderators

8Geee

Slacko5.7-2018

Post by 8Geee »

Thought to include a link to my updated version of Slacko5.7 by 01Micko. This dates from 09/2018 and has not been further updated. Atomic Pup found limits at OpenSSL 1.0.2p and wget at version 1.19.5 (do not load the 1.19.4 version). Firefox is 27.0.1, and is limited in today's internet. The certs for TLS1.2 ONLY need to be tweaked in about:config using the search term SSL. Only GCM 256 and 128 bit can be used... IIRC there's only 2 left that are good.

Slacko5.7-2018

Regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

oldapup

Re: Slacko5.7-2018

Post by oldapup »

something like this to be continued ...

(Fatdog64 & Slacko user / all Puppy Linux - test) whoami

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Are you building via WoofCE?

oldapup

Post by oldapup »

not developer (asking like user... )

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

oldapup wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:46 am

something like this to be continued ...

Looking at the date of this topic first post.
Answer seems to be no.

Really, the updated version is the newer versions of Slacko.
Slacko 7.0 32bit and 64bit versions.
Slacko64 8.2.1 and 8.2.2

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

oldapup

Post by oldapup »

bigpup wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:22 pm

this post just as example in this topic https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 483#p61483

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

One really cannot update that version. The kernel is way too old, glibc is way too old, and even eith finagling, FF66.05 was the best upgrade done. Slacko7.0-32bit is a better attempt for 32-bit. Newer kernel and glibc plus the ability to go to at least FF 78esr.

However, some puppy things in 5.7 are near bulletproof: two that I can think of off-hand are SNS and Network Wizard. The newer versions are a bit balky.

Regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

I'm 77 years old, haven't been here at the Puppy forums for many years.
Been using Slacko 5.7.0 as my main/only O.S. for MANY years [decades?]
My 3 web browsers [Firefox-61-0-1, Palemoon, Slimjet] are very old and fail to work at some websites.
Decided to attempt to update Firefox.
It seemed to go OK, but at the end, no sign of a change and now Firefox will not run.
Tried to use one of my other [old] Puppies loaded from a flash drive to restore a backup of the sfs and 4fs files, but it made no difference to Firefox.

Any ideas?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Sylvander, Welcome back. :welcome:

Please tell us about your computer, in particular CPU and the amount of RAM. As you've used slimjet in the past, I assume the computer supports SSE2 &/or SSE3 instructions. I don't recall any Slimjet which functioned if either wasn't built in. It may be necessary to update your Puppy.

In the meantime, you could try Mikewalsh's portable firefox (32 bit), https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 559#p37559.
and/or portable palemoon (32-bit), https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 4251#p4251. These are portables: you download the tar.gz/xz, extract it, move the extraction folder to your Home partition. With the extraction folder will be a LAUNCH script to try it (or run it without creating a Menu entry) and a Menu-Add script to create one. Palemoon is generally useful; but there are some Websites which won't accept it. Both will auto-update.

The links from the above posts will take you to Mike's repository on mega.nz. Unfortunately, mega.nz is, itself, picky about what web-browsers it will allow.

There are no 'recent' 32-bit Slimjets. AFAIK, the latest is from 2021 by peebee. You'll find it, a recent Chromium, recent firefox and palemoon SFSes; and several other browsers here. https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... /browsers/. I prefer portables. But if you can't access mega.nz with your current web-browsers, suggest trying with peebee's firefox.sfs. Don't know if his 32-bit 'Chromium' clones will work with Slacko 5.7. But his firefox is likely to.

Last edited by mikeslr on Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

My desktop PC was bought from a small ["pile em high and sell em cheap"] privately owned shop in Edinburgh.
Arranged at my request so I could install Puppy Linux [no Windows].
The motherboard is an "ASRock H61M-S" including "XFast USB Technology" ("Simulate as HDD NCQ technology").
The PC came with a booklet titled "Intel Pentium Processor" [I assume that's what's installed] and an ASRock install CD "IIH61-10b" that includes "Intel-Intel Series: User Manual,Drivers,Utilities". l
I don't know if these were ever installed, perhaps they are Windows drivers and utilities, included in case I ever wanted to use Windows.

"your Home partition": is that "mnt/home"?
Should I do this [downoad and extract it] from within the running Slacko, or use one of my other Puppies to download and extract the tar.gz, and then reboot to Slacko and run the LAUNCH script? [silly question?]

How do I recognize the launch script [and the Menu-Add script]?
Will it be inside the extraction folder?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Yes, /mnt/home is your 'Home' partition. How to download?: whichever way is easier. Mike's portables are fully portable. Once downloaded, even after extraction, they can be moved/copied anywhere, even to another computer. That remains true even after you've customized them*.

Within the extracted folder will be a script named LAUNCH, another named MenuAdd and a third named MenuRemove. You can't miss them.

-=-=---

• One of the reasons I like portables is that they are 'self-contained': Your profile (settings, bookmarks and addons and especially web-cache are stored in their folder. Web-cache does not occupy and build-up in RAM. You may recall posts about having to move web-cache out of /root and symlinking it back. That's not necessary with portables. And they will 'update' in place: firefox & palemoon using its builtin system; Chromium and clones via another script named 'Update'.

Recently, however, I've noticed that sometimes updating or moving the portable folder 'breaks' addons. They're there, but inoperative. Easy fix. Open two tabs, one to Addons/Extensions; the other to Google/mozilla's addon/extension Repo. Search for any one of your extensions. The Repos will show that extension 'installed' with a 'Remove' button. Click the Remove button. A second later you'll see an Install button. Click it. Then, for each of your other addons/extensions, check your addon-tab, then type the name of an addon/extension in the Search box of the Repo tab: Remove and (re-) install.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

OK...
I clicked on the link for "Mikewalsh's portable firefox (32 bit)", and was taken to a window ["https://mega.nz/update.html"] that said my [Palemoon] browser "seems a bit outdated", and offered LARGE icons for:
Recommended: Chrome, Edge, Opera...
Supported: Firefox, Chromium.
Am I expected to choose one of these to replace my Palemoon browser before I even begin to download the portable Firefox?
At least Palemoon is functioning at this stage.
Perhaps best not to mess with it before installing the new portable Firefox.
I'm confused.

When I click on the Firefox icon, and click on the "Download Firefox" icon, and then click "Download for Linux 32-bit", I'm offered a box with "Open" or "Save File"="Firefox-123.0.1.tar.bz2".
If I were to choose to save this [or any other] file: which [sub-folder?] of mnt/home should I save it to?
"firefox_61" or "firefox_current-profile"?

Am I becoming stupid in my old age, or what?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Sylvander, we can't read each others minds so we have to use language and no one speaks the same language. We only think we do. Occasionally, there's sufficient misunderstanding that wars result. I'm still trying to figure out what is meant when I hear 'That's bad' or 'It's the bomb.' The first time you do something by following instructions It's not dumb to ask for clarification.

Extraction.png
Extraction.png (113.25 KiB) Viewed 1133 times

[I have an old copy: so the names of your folders may be slightly different].

The file you download has a name ending in "tar.gz". See Top-Right. Right-Click it and from the pop-up menu select pExtract or UExtract. That will generate a folder named firefox-portable32.tar.gz.extracted. (Top-Left). Within that folder will be another just named 'Firefox-portable-32'. (Middle). That's the folder you're going to move to /mnt/home. So it doesn't matter where you downloaded the tar.gz. It could be to /root/downloads if you have enough RAM. Once you've moved the 'Firefox-portable-32' folder you can delete both the tar.gz and the now empty firefox-portable32.tar.gz.extracted folder. But I usually keep the tar.gz in storage on /mnt/home so I don't have to start from scratch if something gets screwed up.

Within the Firefox-portable-32 folder are the files I mentioned before: LAUNCH to just start it; Menu-Add to create menu entries.

Note that the screenshot doesn't show a 'profile' folder. It isn't there, yet. The first time you click LAUNCH another folder within the Firefox-portable-32 folder will be created with the name 'profile'. Portable-firefox will store your customizations, settings, addons and web-cache in that 'profile' folder.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

I downloaded "firefox-123.0.1.tar.bz2" to "/mnt/home/00" and unpacked the file contents to "/mnt/home/00/firefox-123.0.1", and that worked just fine.
[A folder named "firefox-123.0.1" was offered as one of the destinations to extract to.]
However, when I look inside the "/mnt/home/00/firefox-123.0.1" folder [and all its sub-folders] there is no "LAUNCH" or "Menu-Add" script available.
Same inside "/initrd/mnt/dev-save/00/firefox-123.0.1".

Any ideas?

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

Oops, made an error.
There IS "LAUNCH", "MenuAdd", "MenuRemove", "MenuReadMe", "AppRun" inside one of the "/mnt/home/00/PaleMoon-portable32" sub folders.

I've read the ReadMe: seems the MenuAdd and Launch scrips should work OK even though the folders/files are 2 folders down from "/mnt/home".
I'll go try them now.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

I should mention that...
I have my Slacko configured/arranged such that...
At shutdown or reboot, "Don't save session changes" is the default choice...
And I practically ALWAYS accept the default.
So no changes should be saved.
And yet...
I've checked, and find that the files I lately downloaded and unpacked remain in place after rebooting with those changes discarded [not saved].
I'll report back on what happens this time.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

Well...
The "MenuAdd" script worked perfectly.
BOTH the "LAUNCH" script and the "Palemoon-Portable" entry in the menu launched a functioning "Palemoon-Portable" "28.11.0 (32-bit)" window.
I'm using it to post this reply.
Now to reboot without saving session changes to see what happens.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

OK...
I rebooted discarding session changes...
Once back into Slacko, the files were all still present, BUT...
The new menu entry for "Palemoon-Portable" was GONE.
SO...
I re-ran "MenuAdd" and rebooted, this time SAVING session changes.
Once back into Slacko, the menu entry was there and functioning.
I notice this time it isn't asking to be made the default, having been made the default prior to session changes NOT being saved.
I guess that mean that particular change was saved regardless.

How should I eliminate the OLD Palemoon [menu entry etc]?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

IIRC, the 'old' palemoon was built-in. That is all files were included in the puppy_slacko...sfs. The hard way to get rid of it is to use Menu>Setup>Remove Builtins, Save --which creates white-out files so that while they're there they are ignored-- and if you're really serious Remaster. When you Remaster files which have been whited-out are not copied into your new puppy_slacko...sfs. Lots of work for little gain: unused, the old firefox's files won't reduce available 'RAM for work' by more than a couple Mbs.

The easy way is to file-browse to /usr/share/applications and delete the desktop folder. It will be the one which DOESN'T have 'portable' in its name. This procedure will just remove the Menu-Entry. Menu>Exit>Restart-X (Graphical Server) to make sure you've ditched the one you wanted to. Then execute a Save to preserve that change.

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

"Menu>Exit>Restart-X"
I cannot find this: where should I be looking?
In the file system?
Or the Menu?
What's a "Graphical Server"?

"file-browse to /usr/share/applications and delete the desktop folder. It will be the one which DOESN'T have 'portable' in its name".
This done.
Is it ok to reboot or shut down with a save, but without the "Menu>Exit>Restart-X" check?
I'll leave the PC on without "reboot or shut down" until you reply.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Your Menu might use a term other than "Exit". Maybe "Leave". It's usually at the bottom. Clicking it opens a GUI which offers the "Restart-X" or "Restart Graphical Server" option: different names for the same thing. What it does is have Puppy re-catalog its system.

I suggested it as a 'safety precaution'. I don't like preserving anything that may be difficult to undo. Manually deleting the desktop file, then discovering a problem means I'd have to re-write the desktop file (all its arguments) to recover.

Your post jogged my memory. There's an even safer way to 'remove' a Menu listing. Where palemoon will show up on the Menu depends on which Category it's been assigned in the /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop file. If you right-click the desktop file and select "Open as text" from the pop-up menu, you'll see a line something like this:

Categories=X-Internet-browser;Network;WebBrowser.

If you edit that to read:
ZCategories=X-Internet-browser;Network; WebBrowser (red only for clarification)

then there really isn't a Categories= argument and the application won't appear on the Menu. You can execute a Save to preserve it. And if you later discover you need to recover you can again open the /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop file in a text editor and just remove the "Z"

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

OK...
My desktop "Menu" has at the bottom..."Shutdown".
If I click on that entry a choice window is displayed that includes as one of the six choices..."Restart graphical server".
I clicked on that and the screen went black for a moment and then re-displayed the desktop, but with all opened windows/programs GONE.
I restarted those OK, so I guess the job you expected would be done has been done.

I do notice however that the old "Palemoon" entry is in the "Menu>Internet" list. How come?
I checked, and the "/usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop" file is definitely deleted.

Yet again, I won't reboot or shutdown.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Sylvander :-

MEGA.nz has been a pain in the butt with the last few releases of Pale Moon. The site used to let Pale Moon access it quite happily.....then, of course (as fully expected), some bright spark decided that only up-to-date browsers would henceforth be secure enough to be allowed to access the site.

And this is where the Pale Moon issue stems from, due to the fact that PM was forked off from FF28 (or thereabouts). FF is currently in the 120s.....so as far as MEGA.nz is concerned, PM is almost 100 versions out-of-date. Which makes it very dangerous..!! :roll:

========================

I've uploaded an up-to-date FF32-portable to MediaFire.....this is v124.0. You're welcome to download it and try it - MediaFire are happy with PM! - but quite frankly, I'll be amazed if it'll run under 570. I'm running it under a heavily-customized Slacko 560, but this is utilizing a separate Xenialpup32 chroot, and in all honesty has been modified SO much I doubt Micko would even recognise it any longer as one of his creations! :lol:

(I'm even running current 64-bit browsers in this 32-bit chroot, courtesy of peebee's 64-bit compatibility SFS & a 64-bit kernel; works well, but this IS a fairly modern HP desktop, with plenty of "grunt"; a quad-core CPU and 32 GB RAM see to that. I wouldn't recommend this method to users of elderly, low-powered hardware.)

You can find FF32-portable here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bjhlioprzvq5b/32-bit

Let us know what happens, please.

Mike. Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

OK mikewalsh...
Downloaded "Firefox-portable32.tar.xz", unpacked it to mnt/home.
I then moved the tar.xz to "mnt/home/00/Firefox-portable32".
The "LAUNCH", "Menu-Add", "Menu-Remove" are in "mnt/home/00/Firefox-portable32/Firefox-portable32".
The "LAUNCH" file does nothing [doesn't work?].
The "Menu-Add" file works [adds an entry to the menu].
The "Menu-Remove" file works [removes the entry from the menu].
I've both added then removed.
I've then deleted all the files

BologneChe

Post by BologneChe »

@Sylvander

I tried 5.7 under VirtualBox. Firefox Portable does not work but Palemoon Portable V33 works. Here is the link.
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=709

Attachments
Screenshot_2024-03-19_171819.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-19_171819.jpg (99.63 KiB) Viewed 695 times

Born to lose; live to win

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Sylvander wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:10 am

I'm 77 years old, haven't been here at the Puppy forums for many years.

Welcome back! Your long absence proves just how good those old Slacko's were!

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 pm

I've uploaded an up-to-date FF32-portable to MediaFire.....this is v124.0. You're welcome to download it and try it -
You can find FF32-portable here:-
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bjhlioprzvq5b/32-bit
Let us know what happens, please.

Just for the sake of comparison - i downloaded this and used it on DpupStretch 7.5 and it's really nice. Cheers!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Mm. Okay.

Not surprising, TBH. I would have been extremely surprised if it had fired-up, because the glibc in Slacko 570 is simply too old.....and that's for starters. GTK-3.0 is also required, along with apulse for the audio. I also don't think videos would have played, either.

Go into the Firefox-portable directory itself, then rt-clk -> Window -> Terminal here. Enter

Code: Select all

./LAUNCH

.....and hit 'Enter'. What readout are you getting? (I'm pretty sure I know what'll come up, but I'd like confirmation first).

Please copy & paste it into your next post, if you would. Thanks.

Mike. ;)

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

I don't know how to copy the achieved output from the command window: got the output then tried but unable to do that step.
How?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

If you're using urxvt/rxvt - the OOTB terminal - just highlight the text you want to copy. DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE!

To paste into your post, MIDDLE-CLICK (click the scroll-wheel). It confuses the hell out of anyone that doesn't know this, but.....that's how you do it. Most folks are then looking for a right-click 'Copy' option, but that's not the way urxvt/rxvt does things.

Then, highlight that same text again in the 'Compose' window, and wrap "code tags" around it BEFORE you post, please. (Use the "</>" button). This just makes it easier to read, y'see.....

Over to you...

Mike. :)

Sylvander

Post by Sylvander »

Code: Select all

# ./LAUNCH
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/00/Firefox-portable32/Firefox-portable32/firefox32/firefox: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.17' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/00/Firefox-portable32/Firefox-portable32/firefox32/firefox)

Return to “Slacko”