Devuanpup 32 and 64 ( woof-ce )

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Re: Devuanpup 32 and 64 ( woof-ce )

Post by mikeslr »

Sometimes I provide so much information that the essentials get lost. :roll:

Let me be clear. Devuanpup64 creates either a SaveFile or SaveFolder. It has on both my Laptop and my Desktop computers. It just doesn't write to either. This time I tried something else. I opened a terminal and typed, code: save2flash.

This was the terminal output:

[root@DevuanPup ~] $ save2flash
m is not mounted!
[root@DevuanPup ~] $

mikeslr

Re: Devuanpup 64 Absence of Save Workaround

Post by mikeslr »

Unable to find a solution to the problem I last reported I've come up with a work-around.

amethyst's "nicOS-Utilities-Suite", viewtopic.php?p=12983#p12983 includes a Save2SFS module. It does NOT require that there be a SaveFile or SaveFolder. When executed, it captures your SaveFile/SaveFolder (if it exists), optionally any existing adrv.sfs and/or ydrv.sfs and most importantly the contents of configurations, settings and applications only then existing in RAM. It provides the option of Saving the captured content to either an adrv.sfs or a ydrv.sfs.
It will, optionally, use RAM as its workplace. As I have sufficient RAM, that's my choice so the process is very fast, about on par with the initial creation of a SaveFile.

I used it to capture Devuanpup's adrv.sfs, my settings and customizations, and the applications I installed including nicOS-Utilities-Suite creating a ydrv.sfs. To preserve any future changes I make will require using that module again to create a new ydrv.sfs. [My preference is to only create adrv.sfses to hold current web-browsers as updating web-browsers will also require the use of the Save2Sfs module. But usually as little has to be changed it will be very fast].

Obviously creating either a new adrv.sfs or ydrv.sfs has to be done before shutdown/reboot. But as the old adrv.sfs or ydrv.sfs are READ-ONLY files, also before reboot/shutdown they can be moved to a 'protect' folder and the new ones moved into Devuanpup's folder to be used on reboot. If all is well, the 'protect' folder can be deleted. If not, the new versions can be deleted and the old versions returned.

Of course, operating this way does have a downside. There is no /mnt/home automatically mounted for storage of datafiles or links to portables and appimages. I'll think about and try out a couple of possible work-arounds. But frankly, I don't mind running a operating system which only exists in RAM.

My current desktop:

devuan-chimaera.png
devuan-chimaera.png (277.77 KiB) Viewed 4648 times

The above shows sda3 mounted. I did so in order to run portable-palemoon which is located there and which I'm using to post this.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@mikeslr

There is no /mnt/home automatically mounted for storage of datafiles or links to portables and appimages. I'll think about and try out a couple of possible work-arounds.

Don't know why you need /mnt/home specifically, but: In the past /mnt/home (previously a shortcut to /initrd/mnt/dev_save) was actually your puppy partition when running a savefile and was thus automatically created. /mnt is excluded when saving the contents of a savefile/folder or /initrd/mnt/pup_rw. This is to ensure that /mnt is in a pristine state for your next reboot. You should keep your data files out of your saving mechanism as far as possible (save it directly to a partition). However, if you do need a /mnt/home for whatever reason, you can manually create a /mnt/home folder and then use this amended save2sfs script (remove the fake .gz extension). This will include the /mnt/home folder in your adrv/ydrv. Keep in mind however that this will then be a folder in your running puppy filesystem and the contents of this folder will be included in the adrv/ydrv (which could get big in size depending on what you have in that folder). If you only need /mnt/home for a session and do not need to save anything from it, it will be better to just create that folder temporarily for the session and use the original save2sfs script.

Attachments
nicOS-Save2SFS1.gz
(7.32 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks for the modified modified Save2SFS. But you've identified the downside using it would have. I'd rather manually mount a partition for saving data as and when I need to.

There is an application, Startmount, https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... =50845&i=1 which, on old Puppys, could automatically mount any partition on boot-up. It's worked on some new Puppys as well.
Also Menu>System>Bootmanager may be built-into Devuanpup64 [not currently running it]. Bootmanager has some settings which may be useful. For example, as it can mount at bootup SFSes, perhaps a Save.SFS can be specified.
But, I don't know why Devuanpup isn't mounting a SaveFile. Whatever is causing that problem may also adversely affect either of the above two possible 'work-arounds'.
And if either work, the next question would be how that would impact my usual routine: to have two menu listings, one employing the pfix=ram argument, so that I can choose at boot-up whether to make use of an existing SaveFile/Folder.
I'll try Startmount first. If it is fully functional unmounting is just a click away.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

If you boot with the pfix=ram parameter Puppy won't mount any existing savefile. I use different menu entries when doing some testing with a specific distribution so yes that has always been an easy option. You said you needed /mnt/home for some unknown reason. With the newer puppys there is not a /mnt/home which was a link to your puppy partition like with old puppys as far as I know. So if you are going to create one manually it will be a folder in the filesystem and not a partition as mentioned before.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Bootmount didn't provide anything useful. Startmount works but: (a) only after you've created a SaveFile/Folder and (b) then doesn't offer to mount the partition the SaveFile/Folder is on since it's already mounted.
As I've mentioned before Devuanpup can create a SaveFile/Folder, but later can't write to it. So you can install Startmount before creating your SaveFile/Folder and locate that on a partition other than the one holding portables and AppImages. On reboot you can configure Startmount to mount that partition at boot-up. But you can't preserve that setting in your SaveFile/Folder. May be creating an adrv.sfs?
All very complicated. :cry: While we here enjoy seeing what operating systems can do and what can be done to them, in the end an operating system is just a vehicle to run applications. They should make it easy for a User to accomplish 'real-life' objectives and operate almost intuitively.

Accessing the extensive and current repositories of debian (albeit devuan); providing synaptic to do so, able to install pets, use portables and appimages, and with a beautiful user-friendly GUI to its Quickpet offerings --I should have taken a screen-shot-- this should be a gem among Puppys, indeed, among all operating systems. But the foregoing are just 'icing on the cake'. There's a problem with the cake.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:31 pm

Bootmount didn't provide anything useful. Startmount works but: (a) only after you've created a SaveFile/Folder and (b) then doesn't offer to mount the partition the SaveFile/Folder is on since it's already mounted.
As I've mentioned before Devuanpup can create a SaveFile/Folder, but later can't write to it. So you can install Startmount before creating your SaveFile/Folder and locate that on a partition other than the one holding portables and AppImages. On reboot you can configure Startmount to mount that partition at boot-up. But you can't preserve that setting in your SaveFile/Folder. May be creating an adrv.sfs?
All very complicated. :cry: While we here enjoy seeing what operating systems can do and what can be done to them, in the end an operating system is just a vehicle to run applications. They should make it easy for a User to accomplish 'real-life' objectives and operate almost intuitively.

Accessing the extensive and current repositories of debian (albeit devuan); providing synaptic to do so, able to install pets, use portables and appimages, and with a beautiful user-friendly GUI to its Quickpet offerings --I should have taken a screen-shot-- this should be a gem among Puppys, indeed, among all operating systems. But the foregoing are just 'icing on the cake'. There's a problem with the cake.

if there are problems with what you tell me, I was able to experience it.
I would have to see if it is the woof-ce updates.

thanks @mikeslr

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

I'm not familiar with qemu enough on this system. How does one get it to display ? for now it loads in a vnc server that I can access but I don't recall if I need additional installs for grub or bios support.

I have qemu 1:5.2 with all needed dependancies

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

Muchas gracias, josejp2424, por este distro.

I've tested the devuanpup64_JWM-B5-synaptic version for a few days with a frugal install on my laptop, and these are a few issues I've found:

1. After creating a Pupsave file, it's not possible to install packages from the PPM. When trying to do so I get the message: "This is a rare error that fails to report the available free space. It should be OK after a restart", but restarting makes no difference.

2. When trying to do an apt upgrade from the the console, I get this list of error messages (including one about libc6 at the end):

Code: Select all

dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'blueman' missing; assuming package h
as no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'bluez-obexd' missing; assuming packa
ge has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-backends' missing; assuming pac
kage has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'bluez' missing; assuming package has
 no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-bin' missing; assuming package 
has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-libs:amd64' missing; assuming p
ackage has no files currently installed
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-fuse' missing; assuming package
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-common' missing; assuming packa
(Reading database ... 58334 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../bsdutils_1%3a2.36.1-8+devuan2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking bsdutils (1:2.36.1-8+devuan2) over (1:2.36.1-8+devuan1) ...
Setting up bsdutils (1:2.36.1-8+devuan2) ...
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'blueman' missing; assuming package h
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'bluez-obexd' missing; assuming packa
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-backends' missing; assuming pac
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'bluez' missing; assuming package has
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-libs:amd64' missing; assuming p
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-fuse' missing; assuming package
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'gvfs-common' missing; assuming packa
Preparing to unpack .../libc6-dev_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libc6-dev:amd64 (2.31-13+deb11u3) over (2.31-13+deb11u2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libc-dev-bin_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libc-dev-bin (2.31-13+deb11u3) over (2.31-13+deb11u2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-libc-dev_5.10.106-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-libc-dev:amd64 (5.10.106-1) over (5.10.92-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libc6_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb ...

LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the traditional /lib directory,
but not the multiarch directory /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
please remove the /lib/directory from LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
try again.

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd
64.deb (--unpack):
 new libc6:amd64 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit 
status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

3. If there's more than one window open, moving the window that's on top often causes this trailing effect to happen: https://i.ibb.co/Lx229L5/test.png

4. When copying/pasting text from one window to another, sometimes the text doesn't paste until shifting focus back and forth between the two windows. There seems to be an issue in general with the focus of windows, which has caused Firefox to crash a few times. I don't know if this is related, but if I have some media playing (audio/video) in Firefox, it stops playing if I shift focus to any window that is not Firefox.

5. The volume bottoms on my laptop don't work on this distro (although the mute button does). If I enter xev in a terminal, I can see that the buttons are recognised, but nothing I've tried (xbindkeys, etc) has got them to work.

6. On Shutdown, the "devuanpup [.....] is shutting down" message hangs for quite a while (about 17 seconds) before it continues to shutdown.

spotted

Post by spotted »

Tried to install your Devaun iso to a USB drive, could not make it happen. Copying everything out of the opened iso and changing =cd to =usbflash in grub.cfg just dont work. Could you write up a howto for USB drives, thanks.

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

spotted wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:33 am

Tried to install your Devaun iso to a USB drive, could not make it happen. Copying everything out of the opened iso and changing =cd to =usbflash in grub.cfg just dont work. Could you write up a howto for USB drives, thanks.

I had the same issue, it didn't work for me using a USB drive on my laptop or on a desktop computer either.

In the end I was able to do a frugal install via Windows using this program: viewtopic.php?t=336

spotted

Post by spotted »

Hi yolhurt,
I dont have doze, if your install uses grub2 could you post your grub2, thanks

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

yolhurt wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:40 am

Muchas gracias, josejp2424, por este distro.

I've tested the devuanpup64_JWM-B5-synaptic version for a few days with a frugal install on my laptop, and these are a few issues I've found:

1. After creating a Pupsave file, it's not possible to install packages from the PPM. When trying to do so I get the message: "This is a rare error that fails to report the available free space. It should be OK after a restart", but restarting makes no difference.

2. When trying to do an apt upgrade from the the console, I get this list of error messages (including one about libc6 at the end):

Preparing to unpack .../bsdutils_1%3a2.36.1-8+devuan2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking bsdutils (1:2.36.1-8+devuan2) over (1:2.36.1-8+devuan1) ...
Setting up bsdutils (1:2.36.1-8+devuan2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libc6-dev_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libc6-dev:amd64 (2.31-13+deb11u3) over (2.31-13+deb11u2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libc-dev-bin_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libc-dev-bin (2.31-13+deb11u3) over (2.31-13+deb11u2) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-libc-dev_5.10.106-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-libc-dev:amd64 (5.10.106-1) over (5.10.92-1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libc6_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb ...

LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the traditional /lib directory,
but not the multiarch directory /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
It is not safe to upgrade the C library in this situation;
please remove the /lib/directory from LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
try again.

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd
64.deb (--unpack):
 new libc6:amd64 package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit 
status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.31-13+deb11u3_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) 

3. If there's more than one window open, moving the window that's on top often causes this trailing effect to happen: https://i.ibb.co/Lx229L5/test.png

4. When copying/pasting text from one window to another, sometimes the text doesn't paste until shifting focus back and forth between the two windows. There seems to be an issue in general with the focus of windows, which has caused Firefox to crash a few times. I don't know if this is related, but if I have some media playing (audio/video) in Firefox, it stops playing if I shift focus to any window that is not Firefox.

5. The volume bottoms on my laptop don't work on this distro (although the mute button does). If I enter xev in a terminal, I can see that the buttons are recognised, but nothing I've tried (xbindkeys, etc) has got them to work.

6. On Shutdown, the "devuanpup [.....] is shutting down" message hangs for quite a while (about 17 seconds) before it continues to shutdown.

I can verify all of the above through APT as well.

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

spotted wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:31 am

Hi yolhurt,
I dont have doze, if your install uses grub2 could you post your grub2, thanks

Hi,

The entry for my devuanpup frugall install in Grub2dos' menu.lst file is:

title Puppy Linux - DevuanPup64 chimaera 9.7.0
uuid xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
kernel /devuanpup9.7.0frugal/vmlinuz pmedia=atahad psubdir=devuanpup9.7.0frugal
initrd /devuanpup9.7.0frugal/initrd.gz

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

Oops, sorry, I meant Grub4dos, I don't use Grub2.

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello josejp2424 !
I'm testing the 32 bit version .Seem not so bad contrary to the last 64 bit version.Your Archpup release correct some problems present in your Devuan releases.
Best regards ,
Amol

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

Hi guys!

Downloaded

devuanpup64-Synaptic-LXDE-RC-1.1.iso

from the link in post #1 and wanted to write it to USB using Balena Etcher yet Etcher complained that "the image file is appears not to be bootable and your system might not recognize it."

Went ahead and wrote to USB regardless and indeed was not recognized.

Am I doing something wrong?

"Get a pup", they said. "It'll be fun", they said. They where right!
(Various Pups with save folder in QEMU/KVM)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Are you using Windows or Linux to create the USB.

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

Clarity wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:41 pm

Are you using Windows or Linux to create the USB.

Oops, my bad. I use Debian based Linux to create the USB.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

bullpup, "write it to USB using Balena Etcher yet Etcher complained that "the image file is appears not to be bootable and your system might not recognize it."

Puppys --all Puppys-- are structured to be portable: on boot-up copy system files into RAM, mount the SaveFile/Folder ('persistence'). Almost NO applications written to work with 'standard' Linuxes understand that. AFAIK, there are more or less three exceptions:

From Windows, LICK (puppy's own, search the form for a link) and rufus, but see this post for the recipe and cautions, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 522#p40522

From Linux, Unetbootin --Almost gets it right- see this post, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 530#p16530. Or use rockedge's MANUAL recipe, viewtopic.php?p=24467&sid=20c25a56b51af ... e51#p24467

There are some others --e.g. limine, USBImager-- which can create an 'installation' USB, NO PERSISTENCE. Or you can try Supergrub2 and/or Ventoy. They work with some Puppys.

bullpup

Post by bullpup »

@mikeslr

Thanks, will try the above. Guess I just got lucky a few times then?

Time to learn some new things now as it seems. :thumbup2:

Clarity

Devuanpup 64 ( woof-ce )

Post by Clarity »

Hello josejp2424
I'm testing the 64 bit ISO file booting via SG2D USB.

Boots directly to desktop without issues using the boot menu stanza #1. Navigation is smooth. Apps are responsive. SAMBA share works in preparation for cutover to a continuous operating test PC. QEMU will have to be installed for the destiny of this test PC which I will get from either the forum or from PM.

Thanks

oui

Post by oui »

Hi!

bullpup wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:27 pm

Hi guys!
Downloaded

devuanpup64-Synaptic-LXDE-RC-1.1.iso

from the link in post #1 and wanted to write it to USB using Balena Etcher yet Etcher complained that "the image file is appears not to be bootable and your system might not recognize it."
Went ahead and wrote to USB regardless and indeed was not recognized.
Am I doing something wrong?

Puppy linux is NOT linux but an adapted and more complex system made with parts from actual Linux (most of the binaries) and parts of older Linux, especially older Puppy LinuxES (a lot of the internal main system scripts and architecture of the operating system). According to the second, Puppy Linux continues to have OPERATING PREFERENCES has to
- work mainly as super user "root" without password, and
- boot if possible with legacy grub or grub for dos, as well as to
- use some automatized save file or save repertory,

but it is possible to work differently!
- Implemented is one simple user with the name "spot".
- you can also boot with pc-grub = grub2 from hard drive if some other system did preinstall grub2
or other boot loader for USB sticks or memory cards
- you DON'T MUST to use some save file or repertory at all.

Since over 10 years ago, I boot with grub2 and don't use some save file/repertory (excepted using the old Angel Pup): I save myself and load myself each doc, htlm etc. from place on the HD or USB memory, where it has to be :idea: .

For this reason, the most simple USB-memory is enough for me and YOU will have have success and spare time if you handle according this method.

To install Puppy Linux alone on an USB-memory (very old memories with only 1 GB are enough (sometime, for older Puppy's 500 MB!!!) download an ISO file from Puppy in an operable and started Linux and execute following steps (the content of the USB memory will be erased! Save it before if you continue to need ir!):

- download the Puppy ISO file you need in your Downloads repertory (/root/Downloads in Puppy or /home/myUserName in other Linux'es)
- insert the USB-memory
- if the system mounts it automaticly (Puppy's do so!), unmount immediately but write the name of the device found by the system, probably «sdb1»
- invoque gparted
- commute in the icon row at the head of gparted to you (probably) recognized USB memory! It is very important! Be sure! The next step erases definitively all on the selected device (also your harddisk, if the USB memory did not be recognized correctly!!!)
- use the 4th tab "Device" of the commando line of gparted and create a "new partition table" (let MSDOS unchanged)
- use now the 5th tab to create the first new partition on the actually completely empty device.
- (after that you will need to mark that new partition and to return to that 5th tab to «manage the flags» and select the «boot» flag for that partition! it is important! Do not forget!)

But, before you can do that, you must decide yourself how you will continue to proceede. I propose you the most simple way and to prepare an USB memory ONLY TO BOOT your n-ew Puppy and nothing more using the standard program «dd» in an old partition format, the format -«fat16»! This format was usuable since USB memories did exist, on about all sticks or cards :welcome: . But it have an important limit: The size of the partition is limited to max. 2 GB (also the most new linux'es continue to be offered on iso's under this size propabably for this reason). And in combination with «dd», the eventually available rest of the memory over 2 GB can not be used any more (as long as this partition exist! You can of course erase it later and remake what you want with the USB memory. My observation is, you can also simply copy directly an other ISO, a second Puppy or other Linux etc, without to re-format properly the memory as far the first operation did end with success :idea: ... The use of «dd» in fat16 is also very tolerant if the «boot» flag did not be forgot before you did copy the new iso!).
Important note: there are a high numerous of other operating modes to install, for ex., bigger ISO's of course! Or to preserve the not used memory room on the USB-memory (I did publish in the precedent Murga forum a link to an article do that in bash mode, but I can not find that any more on my other computer or on the Murga forum, caused by my own desorganisation. I am sorry...)

I assume,
- you agree as beginner to operate the most simply way (and renounce to use the rest of the stick)!
- In your ~/Download/ you have only one *.iso file.
- Your new partition on your usb memory were addressed by the system as /dev/sdb1 by gparted (if not, you MUST change the letter "b" in the following command by the letter found by gparted!).

The command is simply:

dd if=/~/Downloads/*.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress

Why complicated if simply is possible!

Now, you can start with you fresh new USB installation (as far your PC can already boot from USB :mrgreen: . If not, do that first!).

You will find after the first new start with all instruments in it to shrink existent repertories, create the needing repertory for the new FRUGAL installation (do NEVER without serious ground install Puppy's in FULL installation!), and acceede to the partition where the active grub2 boot loader is preinstalled. You can install Puppy directly in the /home/myUserName of that partition (and don't need some other independant partition at all! Create a new directory /home/myUserName/myPuppyTestJuni23, and copy in it
- vmlinuz
- initrd.gz
- and all biger files ending in *.sfs, that you will find after opening it in the actual partition at "sdb1" (for example).
The needing files are so «frugal installed»...

But you need probably two next steps:

You will probably extend the grub start menu to boot friendly the new frugal system.

One step is needing: In case of booting with grub2 = grubPC, write an extension at the end of the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg (cfg=configuration!) containing the following lines. I assume you use the Name used precedently for the new directory (it was myPuppyTestJuni23, if not, simply interchange according to your own choices and environment!):

menuentry "Puppy 64bits" {
set root=(hd0,7)
linux /home/myUserName/myPuppyTestJuni23/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 psubdir=/home/myUserName/myPuppyTestJuni23 ro quiet
initrd /home/myUserName/myPuppyTestJuni23/initrd.gz
}

Warning1: set root=(hd0,7) is perhaps wrong for you! In my installation, my full installed Linux is auf (hd0,5) with grub2. Auf (hd0,6) I have all own docs and files in a file system in ext4 excepted the Puppy. In (hd0,7) I have all Puppy's in a file system ext3 because some old puppy's can not handle ext4 :mrgreen: :!: . (hd0,1 etc) are windows and swap partitions.

Warning2: If you continue to use the other (linux) system, great actualisations of the system will probably overwrite soon automatic that grub.cfg (and the system forget that direct registration in the grub.cfg).

To make the change permanent, you MUST add the same text, if it works well, in the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom!

Good luck...

ENDING NOTE: excepted if you work under the simple user «Spot» (read in the installation!), the Puppy documents are all oot"-documents! If you will use them in other linux'es, you need to change the owner into «ftp» :idea: or operate in the other linux using «sudo». Don't forget it to avoid deceptions...

libertas

Post by libertas »

I've downloaded the last ISO DevuanPup_10.0_beta_07.iso from sourceforge and checked that it contains the file puppy_DevuanPup_10.0.sfs.

I've copied the ISO to a usb stick that is using Ventoy. I already know that this is not ideal.
When booting from the usb stick, the init aborts saying that it cannot find puppy_DevuanPup_10.0.sfs.

What should I try to solve this?

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello libertas !
You can use unetbootin to install it on a proper usb key.A lot of recent pup are not compatible with ventoy.
Amol

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @libertas

libertas wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:58 pm

I've copied the ISO to a usb stick that is using Ventoy. I already know that this is not ideal.
When booting from the usb stick, the init aborts saying that it cannot find puppy_DevuanPup_10.0.sfs.

What should I try to solve this?

I have published about this on the forum on multiple occasions. Some of the WoofCE PUPs struggle with the conditions you share. Although I have NOT tried DevuanPUP64 (I only test 64bit ISOs) if you follow the steps, below, it should help. If not, I offer advice of how to report that problem for development to resolve, as it should not be happening.

• Steps

1. On you Ventoy #1 partition, create a folder named BOOTISOS

2. Move all your ISOs file there. Dont worry, Ventoy is smart enough to handle

3. Add SG2D image or ISO to the same folder

4. For any WoofCE or forum PUP that run into problems booting in Ventoy, merely have Ventoy launch SG2D.

5. SG2D will find all forum PUPs in BOOTISOS folder allowing them to boot without the struggles you encounter.

• Report if any forum distro stops with the same problem you report

1. At the prompt enter 'debugsave' to capture a report

2. present that report for the ISO file on this forum so that its developer can fix the problem

I trust, that setup STEPS as I offer will eliminate the struggle you (and others too) encounter.

Several members of this forum have, like you, use Ventoy. I have been a user of BOTH Ventoy and SG2D since SG2D introduction which was followed in 2022 by Ventoy. Both are excellent products for download and immediate launch of downloaded ISO files.

Report back here as there are members/myself who can aid you with these simple instructions.

libertas

Post by libertas »

Thank you very much @Clarity for your help.
It indeed helped.

SG2D has two options, first I've copied the recommended version, but it didn't work.
It seems it should be useful only in case of Secure Boot being active, not in my case.
Then I copied 'Download CLASSIC supergrub2-classic-2.06s2-beta1-multiarch-USB.img.zip' and could boot from several ISO images.

But SG2D can't seem to find the easyos img file.
Can you use SG2D to boot easyos?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @libertas

SG2D does not work for IMG files, ATM.

BUT WAIT!!! Did you put the EASY IMG file in the same folder (namely "BOOTISOS") with your ISOs? If so, when you boot Ventoy, you will see EASY IMG as well as your ISOs and SG2D's IMG files in the Ventoy list. EASY, like SG2D will boot to desktop. If not, where it stops capture using debugsave and post ANY issues on the EASY thread.

And, YES, keep ALL distro ISO or IMG files in that folder for easy understanding and for Ventoy AND SG2D to properly find forum distros.

Ventoy boots both ISO files and IMGs. So, as I have tested, EASY was booting from its image to desktop...last I checked.

Your Ventoy USB, along with SG2D on it, will/should boot every WoofCEs, KLs, and DOGs found on the forum.

BTW: You are ahead of so many on the forum in the understanding you now have on the simple method to boot forum distros with Persistence. Enjoy.

rhtoras

Post by rhtoras »

Devuan pup only worked on vm for me unfortunately. It is the only linux cannot boot on bare metal. And it is sad since i like Devuan a lot. I should give this os another try tonight.
But what do you guys mean puppy linux is not linux ?
And why we have to use unetbootin or windows to load this os in uefi pc ?

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

rhtoras wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:33 pm

Devuan pup only worked on vm for me unfortunately. It is the only linux cannot boot on bare metal. And it is sad since i like Devuan a lot. I should give this os another try tonight.
But what do you guys mean puppy linux is not linux ?
And why we have to use unetbootin or windows to load this os in uefi pc ?

you could try with viewtopic.php?t=10435.

to load the iso I use ventoy. but when starting ventoy you must select grub2.

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”