woof-CE Fails to build Fossapup64 Devx

Building a Puppy Linux OS

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

woof-CE Fails to build Fossapup64 Devx

Post by rockedge »

Ran woof-CE in a Bionic64-8.0 to build a Fossapup64. Looks like it produced the ISO file but no devx. Due to the lack of Compressor "zstd" support in Bionic64. What a bummer to look at the system's result and see what I needed the most, the devx, is sitting in /sandbox3/ but never made it through the squash processes.

Code: Select all

Now creating devx_fossapup64_9.6.sfs ...
mksquashfs: Compressor "zstd" is not supported!
mksquashfs: Compressors available:
	gzip
	lzma
	lzo
	xz (default)
chmod: cannot access './sandbox3/devx_fossapup64_9.6.sfs': No such file or directory
...done
Screenshot(97).png
Screenshot(97).png (94.94 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

Perhaps if the zstd support fails that woof-ce changes to another compression type?
Strange is this Bionic64 PPM reports the lib's are there and installed... but they're not.......

foxpup

Re: woof-CE Fails to build Fossapup64 Devx

Post by foxpup »

I am a noob, never done that, but I wonder:
Is devx not there somewhere in a directory uncompressed?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@foxpup it is, in ./sandbox3/devx.
I compressed it manually using dir2sfs. I reinstalled zstd lib's so later I will again start from step 0 and see if it runs through the steps 0,1,3

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Bionic64 is old, and its mksquashfs is old enough not to have zstd compression support. Just change SFSCOMP in _00build.conf to something that works, or use a newer Puppy to run woof-CE. Alternatively, you can build Puppy directly on GitHub.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have attempted to build on Github, I couldn't get it triggered and actions never seems to give me the proper Workflow selections. I will give it another go.
Funny is this Bionic64-8.0 is my very main system. Builds many many things. Runs many many things. Never out of the 300+ runs of woof-CE since before Xenial was a thing did I run into a zstd compression problem. The PPM says it's installed. It really isn't but when I do install it it seems to work.

Hmmmm a Puppy dev telling me my system is too old, now that's a riot! What's next, "not enough RAM"? All kidding aside thanks for the tip for a quick fix, and when my current older Fossapup64-CE is freed up from the current task of working on the murga forum database replacement, I'll build a Fossapup64 with woof-CE on that. Meanwhile I'll adjust the SFSCOMP in _00build.conf or test out the zstd compressor now installed on Bionic.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

rockedge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:52 pm

Hmmmm a Puppy dev telling me my system is too old, now that's a riot!

What you're doing is like expecting to compile C++20 code with a C++ compiler from 2018. I'm don't understand why you blame me for this.

rockedge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:52 pm

What's next, "not enough RAM"?

What do you do when when the cashier tells you "sir, this costs $2, but you gave me $1"? Do you say "no, it costs $1", say "no, I gave you $2", or what? If some piece of software uses 2 GB of RAM and you have 1, you can hate it, but don't expect wonders when you try to use it anyway, and don't blame others for not supporting your use case.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am kidding with you. I never expect anyone to do anything specifically for my case use. I'm flexible. Don't take it so seriously, and try to relax. I've been doing this since working on mini-mainframes in the 70's and I know what's going on, surprisingly. I follow every single commit done to woof-CE since I forked it 2-3 years ago.

I have plenty of RAM, one machine has 64 G and most of the others 8 G - 16 G. I have some really old ones going that sport from 790 M up to 4 G on slightly newer Dell desktops.

I was trying to have some fun but your busy.

I'll run woof-CE in another distro for sure and test out how that works. I am happy about how fast a build actually takes. Not long at all on a 16 G RAM Dell Optiplex 990 and a second run similar set up is like 10 minutes (downloads already completed).

taersh

Post by taersh »

Bionic64-9.0.5

???
Where's that version to download?
I have 8.0 only.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@taersh I typed it in wrong. I fixed it to read 8.0

Return to “woof-CE”