Cagepup64 - Puppy on Wayland (sort of) [deprecated]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects

Moderator: Forum moderators

dimkr

Re: Cagepup64 - Puppy on Wayland (sort of)

Post by dimkr »

That's interesting @LateAdopter. I thought Firefox said it was using VA API, and a 4K 60 FPS video indeed took %3 CPU. Maybe Firefox has that workaround in place.

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

I think I read that Firefox had been fixed. I imagine they are the first to get complaints if it doesn't work each time Ubuntu switches from X11 to Wayland.

I notice that Cagepup64 loads zram swap during boot up but I can't find where it's started. What is the proper way to remove it from startup?

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

You'll need to modify /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - remove the create_zram_swap call.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @dimkr

I downloaded alpha5 and the prior startup messages errors are gone. I want to draw attention to some issues that I ran into (I am sure others too).

1st
The expected WoofCE entries for booting is NOT there (missing loopback.cfg)
Finally getting to desktop on one of my Intel BIOS PC, found the following:
If I start by completing FirstRUN before anything else is attempted, NO menu apps will start to the desktop...NONE of them as clicking them nothing happens.
When this occurs, Ctrl-Alt-Bkspce does not work to get me to system console prompt; again nothing happens when attempted.
I was required to Ctrl-Alt-F2 to alternate session, log in, then poweroff

2nd
On a follow-up, I found I could run menu apps as long as I did NOT complete FirstRUN. When FirstRUN was subsequently completed, again, NO menu apps would start afterwards...forcing Ctrl-Alt-F2 to exit

3rd
On a subsequent boot, I booted with "psave=sda7:/Sessions/", before doing FirstRUN, I used menu to run apps for my minimal desktop needs, after-which I completed FirstRUN, used Ctrl-Alt-F2 to shutdown saving the sessions changes to /Sessions folder on sda7.

4th
On next boot, I am able to get to desktop and run menu apps without issues.

Question
Where is SAMBA? (Another departure from stock WoofCE expectations needed by so many of us, OOTB...even in a minimal capacity distro)

That all, thus far.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Thanks @Clarity, I appreciate the feedback but GRUB/UEFI/Samba/etc' related issues are not the focus here, only graphics-related stuff that might be affected by the use of Xwayland.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Got it.

• I will test booting on my PC-HDMI-TV boot for video and sound.

• I will test booting on my AMD AIO for video, sound, and touchscreen.

I will report back on finding of each. BTW: If there is some specific feedback you would like from either of the platforms I have, let me know.

Could you add the "normal" WoofCE boot stanza in your next build. This save time as I do not need to go to media to boot. I boot straight from the ISO file in moments upon ISO download. (I made a custom loopback.cfg from your grub.cfg and tested it to see if it works like the other WoofCE PUPs; it does!)

I use SAMBA to capture/save screens to central NAS when doing tests. Then use a browser on another to send/respond to forum. This is only mentioned to give an idea why I raise that question.

Looking forward...

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Tested AIO. On this, touchscreen does not work.

The same experience started where completing FirstRUN will NOT allow Menu apps to run.

Rebooted on AMD AIO, and setup system via Menu apps before completing FirstRUN. This time after FirstRUN and after the subsequent system start wizard popped to desktop, I was able to run typical system apps in the subsequent wizard (network, desktop, etc). Upon exiting those 2 startup wizards, the ability to get menu apps to behave and launch was available. So the system being non-responsive is tied to those 2 startup wizards afterwhich normal behavior returns.

The AIO is FHD display.

nVidia over HDMI(TV)
The Intel processor is much faster and getting thru the first 2 desktop startup screens is so very rapid. The problem with this distro on this PC at desktop is the same as the latest Slacko64 v8.2.1; namely the PC is started pristine with the modesetting driver which puts the desktop in a horizontal band in the middle of the TV screen vs covering the complete screen (the prior PUPs and earlier Slacko64s started pristine with nouveau covering the full-screen of the TV).

Here's what it look like on pristine boot to desktop

screen banded err.jpg
screen banded err.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

The TV is a 4K display.

On my prior BIOS PC (reported earlier), I noticed that the screensaver kicked in. Moving the wireless mouse does NOT bring the system out of screensaver mode, as expected. To get to desktop, a keyboard action is required.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Just upload prepreprealpha6, with wlroots 0.14.0 (with the new software renderer) and Bluetooth support. Exciting!

I hope this one works better with NVIDIA GPUs.

01micko

Post by 01micko »

Working on my previously problematic Dell E7270

:D

Attachments
cage-dell-e7270.jpg
cage-dell-e7270.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Thanks @01micko, this is great! I'm on vacation and don't have access to the other laptop with NVIDIA graphics that reproduces the black screen/empty tray issue, but I'll be able to test the new build on Saturday.

Also, I'll update Xwayland when 21.1.2 is out, and that should fix acceleration with NVIDIA. Hopefully, this will allow X.Org to be removed from dpup (https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... n/xwin#L35).

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

prepreprealpha7 is out and it's mostly about fixes, including NVIDIA-related fixes.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @dimkr . Looking forward to testing.

Does this version come with

• the needed SAMBA support

• your Wayland updates

• your Repo updates

Thanks for the beautiful desktop on your last version tested.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Clarity wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:58 pm
  • the needed SAMBA support

No, and Samba is not my focus so future builds won't have it too.

[*]your Wayland updates

As mentioned in the first post - Xwayland and wlroots are updated to the latest versions.

[*]your Repo updates[/list]

There's no Cagepup64 repo - it's built from Debian packages and petbuilds, without any .pet packages involved.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @dimkr
Tested V8 by booting the ISO file directly on a BIOS 64bit PC. Boots fast and cleanly.

Modified the /boot/grub to add loopback.cfg by taking the grub.cfg and adding the isofile find requirement.

Added Chromium via its package manager and started it via --no-sandbox. Youtubes are fine.

At shutdown saved the session to sda3:/Sessions/
Upon reboot, edit Linux line with psave=sda3:/Sessions/ and system found the saved session at startup. Desktop is clean

In terminal, typed qemu_gui and got instructions to add it to this system. Using package manager, added qemu 5.2. Install appears successful, BUT qemu_gui does NOT start.

Request
Allow WoofCE to add the loopback.cfg during next system's build, please. This would allow to directly boot the ISO file without needing to fiddle around using SG2D; merely download and test to provide useful feedback to you.

FYI

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

A new release is ready, at https://github.com/dimkr/woof-CE/releas ... prealpha10!

The changes are pretty big this time, and it's a huge improvement in terms of hardware support and overall polish.

Grey

Re: Cagepup64 - Puppy on Wayland (sort of) [deprecated]

Post by Grey »

Deprecated? I somehow missed this moment.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Puppy Projects”