slacko64-8.2.1-alpha-alpha-beta+0 (slacko64-8.2.2 by norgo)

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Re: slacko64-8.2.1-alpha-alpha-beta+0

Post by mikeslr »

@ 01micko, you are the owner of this thread. Only you can change its Title.
The final versions of your Slackware-binary-compatible Puppys have always been Top Quality: often providing superior graphics and sound than contemporary 'Ubuntu-binary-compatible' Puppys.

Recent posts and my own experience suggest that Slacko64-8.2.1 has progressed beyond the 'alpha-alpha-beta' designation. That suggests 'rather experimental; expect problems'. That was a fair warning to newbies and reasonable means to avoid having to answer questions that would result from their attempted use of this Puppy.

While it still has some rough edges, the recent version appears to be very functional OOTB.
May I suggest that you change the title, perhaps to just 'beta' so as to attract a broader testing group.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

@01micko sorry, couldn't resist this version that was not officially released! Gave me an itch... not fleas! It is my curiosity for this version 8.2.2. On my PC it worked great! :mrgreen:

gyrog

Re: slacko64-8.2.2

Post by gyrog »

norgo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:15 pm

[what's the latest kernel for slacko64 and where to get ?

I am currently running Slacko64 8.2.2 with Kernel 5.10.114.
'huge-5.10.114-gyro-64.tar.bz2' can be downloaded from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/21fyvbi4xglau/kernels.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

gyrog wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:47 am
norgo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:15 pm

[what's the latest kernel for slacko64 and where to get ?

I am currently running Slacko64 8.2.2 with Kernel ...[/url]

I saw this post on @peebee's ScPup64 thread. IIRC, @peebee is using WoofCE kernels going forward, I think.

Also, i found this site of @PEEBEE's past kernels.

Hope this info is helpful.

norgo

Post by norgo »

gyrog wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:47 am

I am currently running Slacko64 8.2.2 with Kernel 5.10.114.
'huge-5.10.114-gyro-64.tar.bz2' can be downloaded from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/21fyvbi4xglau/kernels.

today's build
slacko64-8.2.2_k5.10.114_gyro.iso

modifications
Kernel 5.10.114 ( by gyro ) many thanks @gyrog
xorg-autoconf enabled

Anacleto

Post by Anacleto »

Hi norgo.

Today I downloaded your puppy slacko64-8.2.2_k5.10.114_gyro.iso, thinking that it wouldn't work for me because the K5 makes me think that it is compiled for 5 corel and the laptop I'm usually working with is 3 corel.

Even so I downloaded it and when I ran the iso file it couldn't load the Desktop having a nice black screen. But playing with Xorgwizard and the drivers I managed to load the system. Everything seems to run correctly as in the other 8.2.X versions and I will continue to check it more intensively.

Greetings and thanks for sharing.

bigpup

Re: slacko64-8.2.1-alpha-alpha-beta+0 (update 8.2.2 by norgo)

Post by bigpup »

Updated first post to show norgo's version 8.2.2 and where to download it from.

Norgo,
It may be better if you start your own topic about your version of Slacko64 ( slacko64 8.2.2 ).
You will have edit control of that topics first post and topic subject.
Plus any posts will be about your version, only.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

norgo

Post by norgo »

@bigpup
I'm not the owner of this thread and not the developer of slacko 8.x.
I only created a snapshot of the current testing branch nothing else.
Why I did this ?
In my opinion such snapshots are important for testing.
In case I would create an own version of e.g. slackware 15.0 ;-)
of course I would start an own thread.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

OK.

I will edit the first post to only point at your post about Slacko64 8.2.2

With the last post by 01micko being almost a year ago.

Your slacko64 8.2.2 seems to be making improvements where he is not.

01micko is very active in what is going on with Woof-CE and I am sure he is being kept busy with it.
This release of a newer version of Slacko is most likely way down on the list of stuff he is doing.

Would be nice to see this get to final release status.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

norgo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:13 pm

In my opinion such snapshots are important for testing.

You can find weekly snapshots in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... /build.yml. The last one is in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... #artifacts.

Clarity

Re: slacko64-8.2.1-alpha-alpha-beta+0 (slacko64-8.2.2 by norgo)

Post by Clarity »

@norgo, @01micko or anyone: Could a QEMU v7 PET be provided to this thread? (there's a feature 'improvement' I want to test out as it relates to most modern PCs since 2012)

I am currently running Slacko64 v8.2.2

Thanks in advance for it.

BTW: ISO File booting & operational tests of v8.2.2 completed successfully in boots from both Ventoy and SG2D, separately in BIOS setups. Persistence sessions are found after savings of all tests done, thus far.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-

Have you never considered building a package yourself.....instead of having to request somebody else to build one? It's quite easy, y'know, and means that you don't have to keep asking others to do it for you.!

Just a suggestion, like. :)

(It's no good asking me to do it, because I haven't got the faintest interest in, or even use for virtualization...)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@ Clarity,

Have you tried running grey's pet, link from here, viewtopic.php?p=56693#p56693 or some other qemu 7 pet under Slacko64_x? Is it missing libraries which can be found & installed*? Is it, like virtual-box, kernel specific?

I don't compile; and at my age I'm not about to try to learn a new system which expects memorization of details; something that was not ever my strong suite. But many applications built for a 'debian/ubuntu' Puppy will run under a 'slacko', and vice-versa, once missing dependencies are provided. [With 64bit Puppys, mods are needed for 64-bit libraries. Essentially, x86_64-linux-gnu folders <> lib64 folders. I've posted about that several time. Ask and I'll try to find the posts].

perdido and norgo have published several virtualbox pets, viewtopic.php?p=1552#p1552. But not for all the puppys I might want to run them under. So I swapped the kernel of the desired Puppy, replacing it with the vmlinuz, zdrv.sfs (perhaps adding an fdrv.sfs) from a Puppy for which a virtualbox pet existed. Perhaps the same could be done with qemu if it is kernel-dependent. [To use with S2G or Ventoy, you might have to use packit or ISOmaster to rebuild the ISO after unpacking and swapping].

* very often libraries compiled for one distro can be used in another; what's different is only how they were packaged. Puppys can install many package types. UExtract can extract almost all; dir2pet can repackage the extracted folder as a pet.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @mikeslr. I did not try to run that PET as I believed it to be built on Ubuntu libs vs the new Slackware libs (DEVX).

I will also check it out with the other tests I have planned for this eve. Thanks for the idea. Will report back on progress.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-

Clarity wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:46 pm

Thanks @mikeslr. I did not try to run that PET as I believed it to be built on Ubuntu libs vs the new Slackware libs (DEVX).

I will also check it out with the other tests I have planned for this eve. Thanks for the idea. Will report back on progress.

Hmm. If you didn't try it, then how d'you know it won't work? It sounds as though you've simply "assumed" it won't work, so didn't even try.... :roll: Puppy packages can often surprise you, regardless of how long you may have been running our favourite canine... :o

TBH, this "idea" that Slackware shared libraries are somehow different from Ubuntu shared libraries is a load of tosh. The way they're packaged is different, certainly - to work with the different package management systems - but at their heart, if the dependency version number is the same, then both will have a near-as-dammit identical file after compilation. Ergo, it's perfectly possible to strip the lib packages down to their components and extract just those bits you need. More often than not, those 'borrowed' items will still do what you want. :P

I've done this so many times over the years I've lost count. I certainly don't let a small issue like different packaging protocols get in the way of what I'm after, and in fact manual stripping-down & 'grabbing' of items is second nature to me now.... :D So many of my Puppies have ended-up as real "Frankenpups", with bits'n'bobs acquired from anywhere I can find 'em.....but they always end up doing what I want, one way or another. :)

If you're one of these folks who expects a simple click-to-install, click-to-use experience all the time, you will ALWAYS be at the mercy of others.

(*shrug*)

Never be afraid to get your hands dirty..! And don't forget; Puppies/Dogs are one of the very few easily-modifiable OSs out there, where manual 'diving-in' is so often a quicker route to your destination than the "official" one, when all's said & done.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

QEMU from the other distro; issue: (As I suspected) Missing libs when installed on this distro. And there is problems with the 'qemu_gui' utility that's is accompanying that PET from that distro.

QEMU v7 will need to be built for this Slacko (DEVX), I suspect.

Thanks in advance if the QEMU v7 PET for this distro emerges.

And thanks, again, @mikeslr for the idea even as it did not work, here.

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

Hi,

I was wondering if the official version of Slacko 64 version 8 will be released any time soon, or if it would be better to use norgo's version instead of waiting.

Thanks.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Someone has posted, here, that there is a version 8.3.1 available.

Anyone know where to source it?

Return to “Slacko”