SparkyBonsai 2.0+

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

bark-woof-fetch

Re: SparkyBonsai 2.0+

Post by bark-woof-fetch »

SparkyBonsai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:01 pm

Welcome bark-woof-fetch and thanx for testing Sparkybonsai.

Only had 15 JWM minutes so far and find it exemplary polished yet neutral. Menu structure is logical. Wonder how much more overhead LXQt/LXDE needs to sort of do the same. Great work!

The JWM squash file separation: fantastic. I've been noob fumbling for weeks just to get my own DDog bastard half functional. You made it easy.

On one laptop I can't get past 'kernel modules loading' or something like that (with https://osdn.net/projects/sparkybonsai/ ... 64_FAT.iso). Same laptop boot every other OS known to man.

SparkyBonsai

Post by SparkyBonsai »

This is the second report about difficulties on booting up from isolinux menu on an older machine.It was booting normally from the hd with grub.
I cant't reproduce it right here, so tell me how exactly you tried to boot (from a cd/dvd, usb, hd, mounted on emulator, pxe etc).

bark-woof-fetch

SparkyBonsai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:24 pm

This is the second report about difficulties on booting up from isolinux menu on an older machine.It was booting normally from the hd with grub.
I cant't reproduce it right here, so tell me how exactly you tried to boot (from a cd/dvd, usb, hd, mounted on emulator, pxe etc).

From USB. Exact same USB as booted from right now on a slightly newer laptop with secure boot disabled. Both can boot all the dogs on the same USB disk.

Can try a HDD boot instead if that's of any use.

Let me know how you prefer to receive bug reports in any case.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

What file system are you using?

Isn't there a usb booting ext4 bug of some kind?

SparkyBonsai

Post by SparkyBonsai »

You don't need to put it on a hard disk, suppose on a usb is the same thing. Sometimes its hard for older machines to handle xz compression but i don't blame it as youre able to boot other xz compressed puppies/dogs.
Maybe it's because of the debian kernel. It's still in testing after all (next month bullseye will be in stable). I would try the sparky kernel: https://osdn.net/projects/sparkybonsai/ ... -amd64.zip
You can report here or on PM, i'm watching both.

Last edited by SparkyBonsai on Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bark-woof-fetch

SparkyBonsai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 pm

You don't need to put it on a hard disk, suppose on a usb is the same think. Sometimes its hard for older machines to handle xz compression but i don't blame it as youre able to boot other xz compressed puppies/dogs.
Maybe it's because of the debian kernel. It's still in testing after all (next month bullseye will be in stable). I would try the sparky kernel: https://osdn.net/projects/sparkybonsai/ ... -amd64.zip

Same story on sparky-kernel-5.11.15

USB disk is EXT4, no journaling, FWIW

bark-woof-fetch

bark-woof-fetch wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:05 am
SparkyBonsai wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 pm

You don't need to put it on a hard disk, suppose on a usb is the same think. Sometimes its hard for older machines to handle xz compression but i don't blame it as youre able to boot other xz compressed puppies/dogs.

Same story on sparky-kernel-5.11.15

USB disk is EXT4, no journaling, FWIW

...and same story on EXT3

SparkyBonsai

Post by SparkyBonsai »

It's probably something hardware specific because of the new kernel or a component of the new installed packets (i.e. locales) behaving differently xz compressed.
Please try again with "noswap" and "nomagic" only in boot options -in case of an existing hdd problem- and booting with a x86 iso.
In any case please send me your hardware specs in text or a screenshot to investigate further.

bark-woof-fetch

SparkyBonsai wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 am

It's probably something hardware specific because of the new kernel or a component of the new installed packets (i.e. locales) behaving differently xz compressed.
Please try again with "noswap" and "nomagic" only in boot options -in case of an existing hdd problem- and booting with a x86 iso.
In any case please send me your hardware specs in text or a screenshot to investigate further.

Bug repeats on both kernels and on https://osdn.net/frs/redir.php?m=acc&f= ... 86_pae.iso

Code: Select all

title Sparkybonsai - TEST noswap nomagic
 uuid 7c8c33fe-b5f5-4b91-959c-d4e800e70bf2
 kernel /ddog/sparky/live/vmlinuz1 from=/ddog/sparky noswap nomagic
 initrd /ddog/sparky/live/initrd1.xz

title Sparkybonsai - TEST k-5.11.15-sparky noswap nomagic
 kernel /ddog/sparky2/live/vmlinuz1 from=/ddog/sparky2 noswap nomagic
 initrd /ddog/sparky2/live/initrd1.xz

title Sparkybonsai - TEST Sparkybonsai_2.1_x86_pae noswap nomagic
 kernel /ddog/sparkyx86/live/vmlinuz1 from=/ddog/sparkyx86 noswap nomagic
 initrd /ddog/sparkyx86/live/initrd1.xz

Hardware:
https://wtf.roflcopter.fr/paste/?440e24 ... vt1Q9N7iRf

OT:
Behold the monster ASUSTEK UL50-56 2010 battery still going at it, 13.4 Wh condition: 68.9/84.0 Wh (82%) volts: 15.7/15.0

SparkyBonsai

Post by SparkyBonsai »

Thank you bark-woof-fetch, I'll try to find a similar machine to reproduce it and keep you up to date.

SparkyBonsai

Post by SparkyBonsai »

The boot issue with older machines (such as bark-woof-fetch celeron) can be solved with an older linux kernel.
An older debian kernel version 5.4.0-3 is available to download at:
https://osdn.net/dl/sparkybonsai/k-5.4.0-3-amd64.zip

1. Download the zip file
2. Backup your kernel files (vmlinuz1, inird1.xz, k-XX.XX-amd64.squashfs)
3. Unzip the older kernel files into your /live directory

P.S. Keep this kernel version for any future Sparkybonsai or DebianDog release.

helloworld

Post by helloworld »

SparkyBonsai is truely portable,which is pretty good and doggy-linux.I got it from Sparkybonsai2019,i have so many desktop environments (after all,it is based on sparkylinux)to choose.Everything works good for now ,except for kernel-upgrade.I want to know if it is possible to upgrade kernel in the same way as debian/ubuntudog,so i don't have to download the iso file .

SparkyBonsai

Post by SparkyBonsai »

Hello helloworld,
Sparky linux is a rolling distribution so you can upgrade the kernel and filesystem by modifying the repositories. For Sparkybonsai it is not a good practice as the whole upgraded filesystem will be in your changes folder or file.
Sparky linux has changed its repos after all, so system upgrading from the first release gonna be a very tricky procedure. It is recommended to download the latest iso and replace your kernel files and squashfs with the new ones.
Sparkybonsai 2.1 comes with an upgraded linux kernel (v 5.10.05) and a newer sparky kernel (v. 5.11.15) is available to download at: https://osdn.net/projects/sparkybonsai/ ... -amd64.zip
If you prefer to use the latest debian bullseye kernel (v 5.10.06) or the sparky kernel (v 5.11.16) you have to install "upgrade-kernel" packet fron DebianDog's repos (enabled by default in the latest version) and run it.
You can do that via synaptic package manager or giving the commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install upgrade-kernel
jwm -reload

After that, find "upgrade kernel" icon under the system category of the menu which will guide you to "doggify" any kernel (debian bullseye or sparky) available on repos.
Bullseye debian version and sparky po-tolo are still on testing branch but next month gonna be stable, so you don't need to stuck on buster.

Edit: If you prefer to keep the light colored layout of the first version you just have to replace a couple of files (.jwmrc and wallpaper). The .jwmrc file must be modified to fit in v2.1. The new dark colored layout with the redshift adjuster is more friendly for the eyes, the battery life and the environment (consuming less energy for monitor backlight).

helloworld

Post by helloworld »

Debian 11 has already been released,sparkybonsai 2.1 cannot become up to date by `sudo apt dist-upgrade`,i mean,when i have done it ,it has failed to go into Gui interface.So , a new release is needed to fix it

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

helloworld wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:20 am

Debian 11 has already been released,sparkybonsai 2.1 cannot become up to date by `sudo apt dist-upgrade`,i mean,when i have done it ,it has failed to go into Gui interface.So , a new release is needed to fix it

SparkyBonsai is modified for using systemd, the standard BullseyeDog is trying to avoid it with some replacements (e.g. elogind, eudev) The problem you have is caused by some changes that I made in the doglinux repository, I didn't realize that it became too much "anti systemd", the most offending package, I think, is "udev" (taken from Devuan: udev_3.2.9+devuan4_amd64.deb which has priority over the standard Debian udev package)
Btw, I noticed when doing just sudo apt upgrade the Devuan udev package will be hold back, and all is fine from what I tested.
I've now setup a new repository on github without any mechanism to avoid systemd: https://github.com/doglinux/bullseye/tree/master/amd64 (which means: no packages included that are taken from e.g. Antix or Devuan, so systemd friendly :) )
To use it, change in /etc/apt/sources.list, the top line:
deb https://github.com/doglinux/bulldog/raw/master/amd64/ ./
To:
deb https://github.com/doglinux/bullseye/raw/master/amd64/ ./

Then do:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

And it should be OK.
edit: added "sudo" above, as it's required on SparkyBonsai.

@SparkyBonsai Sorry for the trouble, hope it's solved by using this new custom repository.

Fred

helloworld

Post by helloworld »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:48 pm
helloworld wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:20 am

SparkyBonsai is modified for using systemd, the standard BullseyeDog is trying to avoid it with some replacements (e.g. elogind, eudev) The problem you have is caused by some changes that I made in the doglinux repository, I didn't realize that it became too much "anti systemd", the most offending package, I think, is "udev" (taken from Devuan: udev_3.2.9+devuan4_amd64.deb which has priority over the standard Debian udev package)
Btw, I noticed when doing just sudo apt upgrade the Devuan udev package will be hold back, and all is fine from what I tested.
I've now setup a new repository on github without any mechanism to avoid systemd: https://github.com/doglinux/bullseye/tree/master/amd64 (which means: no packages included that are taken from e.g. Antix or Devuan, so systemd friendly :) )
To use it, change in /etc/apt/sources.list, the top line:
deb https://github.com/doglinux/bulldog/raw/master/amd64/ ./
To:
deb https://github.com/doglinux/bullseye/raw/master/amd64/ ./

Then do:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade

And it should be OK.
edit: added "sudo" above, as it's required on SparkyBonsai.

@SparkyBonsai Sorry for the trouble, hope it's solved by using this new custom repository.

Fred

Thanks,.problem solved

SparkyBonsai

Post by SparkyBonsai »

The latest version of JWM (v. 2.4.0) had some issues with menus, svg icons etc.
They are reported by arch and puppy users as such and will be solved on the next release (2.4.1).
If you are planning to update SparkyBonsai (or puppy or DDog with JWM) just mark jwm packet as pinned (don't update it). The existing JWM v. 2.3.7 works fine with the latest debian/sparky updates.

Thank you @fredx181

Return to “DebianDogs”