Getting started with EasyOs

Moderator: BarryK

williwaw

Getting started with EasyOs

Post by williwaw »

New to EasyOS?

EasyOs is a complete full featured OS designed to run from a USB flash drive. When EasyOs is run from a dedicated drive, nothing is accessed on your primary disk unless you choose to do so.

EasyOs includes the LibreOffice suite and the Chromium browser in addition to many tools and apps. The currently maintained version, Kirkstone, also has an additional repo of binary applications available for download with PKGget, the traditional puppy like package manager, which also is used to access Puppy Linux repos.
Other larger apps, supplied as .sfs's, can also be installed with SFSget. and EasyOs also includes installers for Appimages and Flatpacks.

An index to Barrys documentation is found at EasyOS homepage You will find links to overviews of EasyOS, applications in EasyOS, development and programming pages, installation tutorials, technical details and usage guidelines.

How and Why EasyOs is Different is the primary introduction page

Some notable features are........

• Encryption of your your persistent data directories with fscrypt can be elected when setting up your install during the first boot up.

• EasyOs has many options for secure browsing.

• You can choose to save the current session or not, and a shutdown menu give you choices for running the next session totally in ram or not. When lockdown is selected it is impossible to mount other partitions or disks, in the next session, preventing any possible access.

• Applications can be run on the desktop or in a container. The entire desktop can be run containerized and you can even run a different OS in a container.

• Updating to recent versions can be done using EasyUpdate at your convenience, and Easy Version Control allows you to rollback to an earlier version Of EasyOs in addition to enabling snapshots and rollbacks of your persistent data directory.

For a deeper look under the hood, see this how easy works page

Installation

Creating an EasyOs USB
A USB flash drive should be dedicated to your EasyOs install, as the download is packaged as a full disk image. Having a dedicated USB install is also useful to have on hand as a rescue disk, or for making frugal installs of EasyOs to internal disks. The tutorial linked above explains how to write EasyOs to your USB stick and has links to useful tools. USB Image Tool or DiskImager is useful when working from Windows to create your USB , while Linux users who are not comfortable using the dd command in a terminal emulator should find EasyDD useful.

How to install EasyOS on your hard drive
Dual booting EasyOs with other operating systems from an internal disk, or installing EasyOs to a disk partition is also possible. A frugal install is the prefered method.

Should you need to open or mount an EasyOs image file from a Linux distrubition that does not support mounting an .img file, mount-img may be useful

Other documentation

For EasyOs and related projects can be found by using custom searches.

Barry posts quite often in his blog about the development of EasyOs and his other interests and projects.

Last edited by williwaw on Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:04 am, edited 25 times in total.
BarryK

Re: Getting started with EasyOs

Post by BarryK »

NOTICE
I have deleted a couple of posts in this thread.

This is a "sticky" thread, with information about EasyOS, like how to get started.

This thread is not the place for questions. If you have a question, if it is about a particular version of EasyOS, there is a thread for that, otherwise start a new thread under the "EasyOS" forum category:

viewforum.php?f=63

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@BarryK :-

BarryK wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:03 am

NOTICE

This is a "sticky" thread, with information about EasyOS, like how to get started.

This thread is not the place for questions. If you have a question, if it is about a particular version of EasyOS, there is a thread for that, otherwise start a new thread under the "EasyOS" forum category:

viewforum.php?f=63

We can "Lock" the topic if you want, Barry. No extraneous posts CAN be added, that way. Just make sure it has everything here that you want it to have before we do that.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

BarryK wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:03 am

NOTICE

This thread is not the place for questions.

Where should i go for basic info aimed at a standard puppy user with current frugal installs please?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

greengeek wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:21 am

Where should i go for basic info aimed at a standard puppy user with current frugal installs please?

Do you mean frugal install of Puppy Linux?
If so, look at the main index of this froum.

For EasyOS frugal install, look at the install links at easyos.org:

https://easyos.org/

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

BarryK wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Do you mean frugal install of Puppy Linux?

No, sorry i wasn't clear enough - what i meant was that i am currently running frugal installs of Puppy Linux and wondered if there was a tutorial regarding how to add EasyOS into my menu.lst

I did look at that link to the install notes page but nothing jumped out as a specific guide for existing Puppians to trial EasyOS.

Perhaps it is not practical for EasyOS to co-exist with my frugals - maybe I am better off dedicating a new flash drive?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Hi greengeek

using grub4dos installed a vfat sda1 partition, with a subfolder (ez) in sda2 which contains initrd, vmlinz and the easy.sfs
my menu.lst stanza looks like

Code: Select all

title  easy
  find --set-root uuid () 1bc0ee61-7343-4e0f-8891-f26e1bfc7fe4
  kernel /ez/vmlinuz  rw wkg_uuid=1bc0ee61-7343-4e0f-8891-f26e1bfc7fe4   wkg_dir=ez
  initrd /ez/initrd

where 1bc0ee61-0967-4e0f-7343-f26e1bfc7fe4 is the uuid for sda2
if I recall correctly, sda2 should be ext4 if you want to use the encryption feature.

Last edited by williwaw on Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @BarryK

PUDD is a useful PUP app.

Is there a way to have it write an ISO backup or hybrid to a HDD/USB/SDcard? PUDD works for writing IMG files, just curious for writing ISO that I've created for restorations.

Thanks in advance

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Clarity wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:18 pm

Hi @BarryK

PUDD is a useful PUP app.

Is there a way to have it write an ISO backup or hybrid to a HDD/USB/SDcard? PUDD works for writing IMG files, just curious for writing ISO that I've created for restorations.

Thanks in advance

Pudd is ancient, I haven't looked at it for years ...like, about 10 years ago.
Can't really remember much about it. It is in all the pups, or was.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I have made two blog posts about some "gotchas" when installing EasyOS...

"How to install EasyOS page updated"
https://bkhome.org/news/202212/how-to-i ... dated.html

"Warning old bootloaders not support ext4 encrypt"
https://bkhome.org/news/202301/warning- ... crypt.html

EDIT:
And this:

"Limine Installer check duplicate UUID, PARTUUID and label"
https://bkhome.org/news/202301/limine-i ... label.html

Return to “EasyOS”