Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

vtpup

Tahrpup Seamonkey 2.53.6 upgrade crashes

Post by vtpup »

Tahrpup 6.0.5
Acer laptop listed below
Seamonkey 2.49.4 (originally)

I did not see the latest Seamonkey 2.53.6 (Linux i686) warning that the new version clobbers earlier Seamonkey profiles (I was running 2.49.4).

So not only did it wreck that profile (master protected passwords don't work), but the new version of Seamonkey also had problems -- it crashed on opening many common web pages.... for example, opening Youtube crashes it.

Thinking that maybe the crashing was because the old profile was causing problems, I backed that profile up, and removed /root/.mozilla completely. Normally restarting a new instance of Seamonkey without a /root/.mozilla will generate a brand new /root/.mozilla and start a new Seamonkey instance with no addons, extensions, bookmarks, passwords, mail, etc.

Yup, that did start fresh, but, nope, the page crashing behavior was unchanged. Navigating to Youtube.com crashed the browser. What the....????!!!! :twisted:

So now what? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.....

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

ThruHammer

Re: Tahrpup Seamonkey 2.53.6 upgrade crashes

Post by ThruHammer »

vtpup, that PAE or noPAE?

BTW, your "foam boat" video's pretty sweet. 8-) :thumbup2:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@vtpup :-

I was going to fire-up Tahr 6.0.5 and try the portable version of this.....and then I remembered my 'test' version is Tahr 6.0.6 (6.0.5 won't play ball on this new hardware.) So it wouldn't exactly be a fair test, since it's not quite the same release...

Sorry!

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

GTK3?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

amethyst wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:32 pm

GTK3?

I wondered about that, but doesn't Tahr come with GTK3 OOTB?

(EDIT:- Nope; 605 needs it installing from the PPM, whereas 606 comes with it pre-installed...)

Uh-huh. Yeah; thought I had; here's a GTK3 .pet for Trusty I put together a few years ago:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ymgqj ... sp=sharing

Maybe that'll help.

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Seamonkey minimum requirements:
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/s ... quirements

The following library versions (or compatible) are required:

GTK+ 3.4 or higher
GLib 2.22 or higher
Pango 1.14 or higher
X.Org 1.0 or higher (Recommended: 1.7 or higher)
libstdc++ 4.6.1 or higher

Using a 6 year old version of Puppy, to run the latest version of any browser, is going to have problems, because of minimum requirements.
Tahrpup 6.0.5 is not being updated with newer versions, of this stuff.
In Puppy Linux, you get that by using a newer version of Puppy.
May have to just be happy using an older version of Seamonkey or trying to update, the needed stuff.

People making browsers, seem to think everyone is constantly updating all the support stuff, to the latest versions.
they keep constantly wanting the latest of everything, to work.
This is the new version of our browser.
So, you will also need the newest version of these other needed support stuff.

Last edited by bigpup on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Palemoon seems to be the easiest to get going with older Puppys... the least requirements.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

I agree. Palemoon's a great, web compliant browser for *most* sites.

For the occasional troublesome site, their are plenty of other options.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thanks guys, and sorry I've taken so long to reply. I've been busy with the mess --- had to reconstruct passwords for everything, mail accounts, websites, even this forum as well recover bookmarks, etc, etc.

Result I've backed off of 2.53.6 and reconstructed my profile for 2.49.4, so things are finally back to working well before I "fixed" things by "upgrading" Seamonkey. I don't know why I did that. I should have known better. It was a dumb whim. I don't actually "need" a later version. I don't normally kneejerk upgrade Seamonkey, because this is typical of what can happen to a profile if you do, because they tend to make radical engine changes sometimes. Just a momentary lapse in judgement when I got some site saying the browser was outdated. Usually you can just click past that and things still work fine. Lesson learned......again.

But not to leave people who tried to help hanging, sorry:

In answer to ThruHammer it's PAE.

In answer to amethyst, Sorry I'm not sure what version of GTK is installed.

mikewalsh, thanks for thinking about trying to duplicate. I presently have Tahrpup 6.0.5 according to Pup-Sysinfo, Tahrfix-8 installed. I didn't realize there was a 6.0.6 version. I'll have to look into that. ......or maybe I shouldn't!

bigpup, thanks for listing the latest dependencies. Rather surprised the program didn't complain it needed dependencies instead of crashing silently only on certain web pages. Usually if a program needs something it won't start at all, and you can read what's up in console. But agreed it's not worth tracking it down for me, I'll just stick with tried and true 2.49.4 for now until I eventually migrate from Tahrpup to BP64.

Palemoon folks.....I've tried Palemoon before. It's okay, but I have been using Seamonkey ever since I got into Puppy 13 years ago, I know it backwards and forwards with favorite settings, add-ons and even about:config choices, and I like the integrated mail, and basically using the standard browser on a standard puppy. Just makes things easier for me. I just hope they don't try to now make it look and act like Firefox, dumbing down the user choices because then I will truly have to look for something more amenable to user control.

Anyway, OT, thank you all for trying to help.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

d4rkn1ght

Post by d4rkn1ght »

vtpup wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:58 am

Palemoon folks.....I've tried Palemoon before. It's okay, but I have been using Seamonkey ever since I got into Puppy 13 years ago

I'm the same. SeaMonkey was Puppy's original default browser. I like Pale Moon but SeaMonkey feel more robust handling pages. For me using SeaMonkey have become part of the daily Puppy experience.

Sometimes changing the user-agent on SeaMonkey is all it takes to get rid of an outdated warning.

Download: SeaMonkey

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

vtpup wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:58 am

Thanks guys, and sorry I've taken so long to reply. I've been busy with the mess --- had to reconstruct passwords for everything, mail accounts, websites, even this forum as well recover bookmarks, etc, etc.

Result I've backed off of 2.53.6 and reconstructed my profile for 2.49.4, so things are finally back to working well before I "fixed" things by "upgrading" Seamonkey. I don't know why I did that. I should have known better. It was a dumb whim. I don't actually "need" a later version. I don't normally kneejerk upgrade Seamonkey, because this is typical of what can happen to a profile if you do, because they tend to make radical engine changes sometimes. Just a momentary lapse in judgement when I got some site saying the browser was outdated. Usually you can just click past that and things still work fine. Lesson learned......again.

But not to leave people who tried to help hanging, sorry:

In answer to ThruHammer it's PAE.

In answer to amethyst, Sorry I'm not sure what version of GTK is installed.

mikewalsh, thanks for thinking about trying to duplicate. I presently have Tahrpup 6.0.5 according to Pup-Sysinfo, Tahrfix-8 installed. I didn't realize there was a 6.0.6 version. I'll have to look into that. ......or maybe I shouldn't!

bigpup, thanks for listing the latest dependencies. Rather surprised the program didn't complain it needed dependencies instead of crashing silently only on certain web pages. Usually if a program needs something it won't start at all, and you can read what's up in console. But agreed it's not worth tracking it down for me, I'll just stick with tried and true 2.49.4 for now until I eventually migrate from Tahrpup to BP64.

Palemoon folks.....I've tried Palemoon before. It's okay, but I have been using Seamonkey ever since I got into Puppy 13 years ago, I know it backwards and forwards with favorite settings, add-ons and even about:config choices, and I like the integrated mail, and basically using the standard browser on a standard puppy. Just makes things easier for me. I just hope they don't try to now make it look and act like Firefox, dumbing down the user choices because then I will truly have to look for something more amenable to user control.

Anyway, OT, thank you all for trying to help.

You need to install GTK3 for the latest Seamonkey to work with Tahr 6.0.5 and you need to upgrade glibc to at least version 2.20.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Amethyst, looks like I do have GTK3 already, and glibc is at 2.0.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

vtpup wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:22 pm

Amethyst, looks like I do have GTK3 already, and glibc is at 2.0.

Need glibc2.20 at least. You also need a newer version of libstdc++ probably. After a bit of struggle I eventually got Seamonkey 2.53 going in Precise (should be the same for Tahr). So, if you still struggle I will make the necessary packages available that worked for me.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@vtpup / @amethyst :-

Try 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5 for the libstdc++.so.6. It's the one in use for the newest PaleMoon portables, so I'm guessing it ought to work for SeaMonkey, too...

Don't want to go TOO new, 'cos then you'll get complaints of a mis-match between that and your Glibc.....it's a bit of a 'balancing act'.

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:19 pm

Try 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5 for the libstdc++.so.6. It's the one in use for the newest PaleMoon portables, so I'm guessing it ought to work for SeaMonkey, too...

Don't want to go TOO new, 'cos then you'll get complaints of a mis-match between that and your Glibc.....it's a bit of a 'balancing act'.

Mike. ;)

I'm using libstdc++.so.6.0.25 from Bionic with glibc2.20. The older libstdc++.so.6 must either be removed or renamed so that it does not clash. I'm not using a portable version which could be easier to get to work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, guys; the "fix" for the newest SeaMonkey under Tahr32 605 is quite simple. Just two things required; libxkbcommon, and a newer libstdc++.so.6.....I used Xenial's for this.

Just tried it on ye anciente Dell (this has no issues with running Tahrpup). Pet for libxkbcommon attached.

Everything else in SeaMonkey's current requirements is already there (apart from the GTK 3.0 stuff, but you've got that now).

Simple enough fix.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
libxkbcommon-0.0.0-i686-tahr.pet
libxkbcommon for Tahrpup...
(121.79 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:48 am

Right, guys; the "fix" for the newest SeaMonkey under Tahr32 605 is quite simple. Just two things required; libxkbcommon, and a newer libstdc++.so.6.....I used Xenial's for this.

Just tried it on ye anciente Dell (this has no issues with running Tahrpup). Pet for libxkbcommon attached.

Everything else in SeaMonkey's current requirements is already there (apart from the GTK 3.0 stuff, but you've got that now).

Simple enough fix.

Mike. ;)

Strange. I do not need that file with Precise. My libstdc+++ is newer than the version you are using though......

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

This was a bog-standard, fresh OOTB frugal install, Nic. You've probably long since added it to your Puppies for other stuff, but 605 does NOT come with it as standard.

I also find that Tahr's PPM will no longer update, etc.....nor download. So it looks like that will need some editing to be able to connect to the 'old-releases' archives. You don't by any chance remember how we do that, do you?

I know there was some discussion around this back on the old forum, a few years ago. It must have been buried away in the middle of another thread, 'cos I can't for the life of me find it anymore....though I DO recall having success in re-connecting UPup 'Raring' to the old archives.

Mike. ;)

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:20 pm

@amethyst :-

This was a bog-standard, fresh OOTB frugal install, Nic. You've probably long since added it to your Puppies for other stuff, but 605 does NOT come with it as standard.

I also find that Tahr's PPM will no longer update, etc.....nor download. So it looks like that will need some editing to be able to connect to the 'old-releases' archives. You don't by any chance remember how we do that, do you?

I know there was some discussion around this back on the old forum, a few years ago. It must have been buried away in the middle of another thread, 'cos I can't for the life of me find it anymore....though I DO recall having success in re-connecting UPup 'Raring' to the old archives.

Mike. ;)

Nope, just checked with the standard release of Tahr 6.0.5. Do not need libxkbcommon. Ran Seamonkey 2.53.5.1 so unless something has changed with 2.53.6...
I've never used the update function, always downloaded the newest tarball from the Seamonkey site. I never use package manager either, always download directly from ibiblio or mirror site so can't help you there.

Return to “Users”